• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When flying transatlantic Virgin include meals but in honesty they are horrible, in theory it just passes a bit of time but when we flew in August it was just a pain in the ass having the tables down and full of stuff when we were trying to manage an 18 month old.

It wouldn't bother me at all if in future all food was purchasable, leave the drinks included though eh?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pretzels/biscoff and half a can of soda (or a whole can if you say no ice) is all i've gotten in probably the past two decades. the last time i remember getting an actual meal had to be the 90's.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Fuck these guys. The prices on tickets varies day to say by hundreds of dollars. You're telling me you can't get a 5 dollar meal in there?

For a very short flight, okay whatever, but a cheap ass meal is the least they could do for the price of a plane ticket.

Why do corporations continue to do this? How can trickle down work when they can't even be bothered to include the most inexpensive meal to the in flight service? They will take everything they can get, and only when they're scared will they create the illusion of respect to the customer.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Last time I got anything resembling a meal was a cross-country flight from Atlanta to Vegas a few years ago, and even then, it was just a sandwich.
Admittedly, it was a pretty good sandwich.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
Incidentally perception of British Airways has taken a massive nose dive because of the buy on board food debacle and the IT system screwups:

BA-customer-perception.png

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/12/08/british-airways-yougov-report/

Why fly with British Airways for short haul flights if they cost more than a budget airline but charge more for the same amenities?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm used to not getting meals on short flights as I usually book cheap flights so easyJet, Ryanair etc. I took my first long-haul flight a few months ago though - to Australia with Singapore Airlines, and it was amazing. Two full meals per leg of the flight (and not small ones either - as well as the "main course" they included a small starter, dessert, bread & butter and a couple of snacks), plus unlimited free drinks and snacks whenever you wanted. The meals were surprisingly good for plane food as well. Considering the distance I was flying it didn't even seem that expensive either compared to comparable airlines for the same destination.

Why fly with British Airways for short haul flights if they cost more than a budget airline but charge more for the same amenities?
Yup. Count me in the "decreased perception" column, I used to think I'd like to fly BA one day to see what it was like - "the extra cost has to go towards a better flight, right?". Now? Having seen recent BA reviews and experienced other carrier airlines (Singapore), I have no desire to fly BA at current prices. I don't see what the extra is paying for.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the snack + drink you get on short haul with flag carriers, just more relaxing than the budget airlines.
Also I do like long-haul food, can't remember having a bad meal, although I'll happily eat canteen food or expensive steaks.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Either folks have really high food standards, or my taste buds are broken, because I find airplane food to be decently delicious. Rice with fairly savory beef and steamed vegetables. Yogurt + bread with butter.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
In Australia it seems airlines have removed free seating and meals from both short AND long hauls. A seat is like $35 and a neal I think is around $20. It's bullshit.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Airlines offer free food? Still? Seriously? I guess just not here.

You pay an arm and a leg, then they want you to whip out your credit card to buy earbuds, blankets, and any little bit of food. Sure, you'll get a small cup of a liquid to drink once every couple of hours, but that's it. And, hey, why not pay $25 to bring a bag when it used to be free and almost everyone needs to?

I'm glad I don't have to fly much. I hate it. If I never flew again, I wouldn't miss it or mind.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only amenities I see in the US now flying is when I am doing a puddle jumper between Portland and Oakland and I get free beer or wine.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Pretty soon they will make you use an exercise bike for you to pedal to power the plane while in coach. Flying really sucks now if you can't afford business or first.

Yup, we turned down a few biz trips we could have taken because I'd rather beat myself with a frying pan than fly in coach at this point.

Biz class now is coach from the 90s.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
It really should just depend on how they want to position their airline.

If its a budget airline, I'm not going to give a shit if I don't get a meal.

I flew Cebu Pacific to the Philippines and the flight was terrible, had to pre-purchase food, or could buy snack food on the plane.

Its a budget airline though and has been positioned as such so I knew what I was getting myself into.

On the topic of airplane food, this is what I had last night. It was my first time in Business Class. Cathay decided to give me an upgrade so thanks Cathay.

The first 4 was a whole meal. The burger was considered a "snack".

Catchay Pacific is the BOMB!

I've only flown economy with them but it was still so good. Here's the menu I had in economy. Excuse the cheesy snapchat caption.

received_10154815886613823.jpg

Turkish Airlines and Singapore Airlines also have really great food - the latter having an amazing drinks menu as well.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
The last time I distinctly remember getting an actual meal on a flight was when I went to Japan. 13 years ago.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I dont remember the last time I got any food for a domestic flight in the US, but flying internationally I always get food but thats not always a good thing. I flew Air Canada to HK and the food was horrendous. Cup of Noodles, 1 bite sandwich, rice dish that looked like vomit. I opted out of the rest of the meals.

Flamin' Galah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you fly business/first class, a complimentary drink and snack should be the minimum for a domestic flight.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Brussels Airlines, the Belgian air company, hasn't given free meals on short haul flights in ages. Doesn't really bother me, though I would welcome a free glass of water on every flight (or at least untill they finally cancel the fucking 'no liquids' rule).

It helps that often Brussels Airlines tickets are pretty cheap. They have a low cost range (tickets with just hand luggage), without the Ryanair shenanigans (better seating, no low-cost terminals or small airports far away from your actual destiniation, no lottery tickets begging, ...)

Flying has become very cheap comparatively to even 10 or 15 years ago. That comes with an offset, and if it is no meal, I don't care actually.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's weird that they still do that. IMO, any flight less than 5 hours doesn't really need an on board meal.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah British Airways had meals on their short haul flights until last year. To be honest, it was one of the factors that set them a class above shit airlines like Ryanair, and people were willing to pay the premium for it... With this, I have no idea what the difference is with short flights other than where they fly from.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been decades since I had a 'meal' on short-haul, BA's long haul meals are shite anyway!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
In addition to the graph above...

Opinion on change in quality / change in value (keep in mind, this is about expectations, hence where Ryanair is):

BA-change-in-quality-and-value-2.png

Clearly heading in the right direction.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've preferred American for Business for the past few years. BA has become increasingly shitty over the years.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
He has turned BA Euro Traveller to total shit. I was recently flying domestic with Rwandan Air, and even they had free wines and beers. BA economy doesn't even have free Coke. When your European service loses to fucking Rwandan domestic service, you know you are scraping the bottom of that Easyjet / Ryanair barrel.

I literally only fly Club with BA. If I need economy, there is no reason to pick them.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Just to be clear, him talking about food is a distraction tactic to hide the fact that they ended even free soft drinks.

Here's all the stuff you used to get free in BA economy just over a year ago before this Vueling muppet CEO was let loose:

- Free meal / sandwich (depending on duration)
- Free nuts
- Free sodas (Coke, ginger ale etc.)
- Free wines
- Free beer
- Free cocktails (G&T, bloody mary etc.)
- Free hard liquor (whisky, vodka etc.)

Today, you get free water, tea and coffee. Utterly pointless to choose BA economy over Easyjet.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah uh I just buy some dollar menu stuff from McDonalds and take that on the plane with me. Hassle-free and tastes better than airline food so hey what's the problem

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear, him talking about food is a distraction tactic to hide the fact that they ended even free soft drinks.

Here's all the stuff you used to get free in BA economy just over a year ago before this Vueling muppet CEO was let loose:

- Free nuts
- Free wines
- Free beer

Today, you get free water, tea and coffee. Utterly pointless to choose BA economy over Easyjet.

Yep count me in as one who use to enjoy the free breakfast meal on domestic flights from ABZ to LHR.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
on short distance (< 3h) flights, i haven't gotten a real 'meal' in ages. Like, maybe a super processed tasting blueberry muffin or a tiny bag of saltlets.
The free soda / coffee / tea is all that matters, really.

I always bring a few granola bars or some sandwiches.

When flying transatlantic, i expect to get at least one warm meal, if not multiple

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

- Free nuts
- Free wines
- Free beer

You don't even get a free can of bloody coke any more? Agreed, pointless to choose them over the low-frills airlines for short haul. You're getting essentially the same service for much more money, and its not like it really matters if you get assigned seating when its a two hour flight

I wouldn't even choose them long-haul unless they were the cheapest by a fair amount either.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I can't remember a single time I didn't get a meal when flying between LA/SF and NYC in coach, which I have done dozens of times in the past 10 years.

Hell, I got a meal on Delta when I flew from NYC to Chicago last month.

What? Delta hasn't given free meals for years. I fly them every year from Seattle to Atlanta and at best you can buy a meal from them.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The food in airflights sucks anyway. Never liked their chicken or ham. Good riddance.

That being said, the paid food probably wont be any better.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
on short distance (< 3h) flights, i haven't gotten a real 'meal' in ages. Like, maybe a super processed tasting blueberry muffin or a tiny bag of saltlets.
The free soda / coffee / tea is all that matters, really.

I always bring a few granola bars or some sandwiches.

When flying transatlantic, i expect to get at least one warm meal, if not multiple
Same here. Although I usually skip the meals because they are so terrible.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing anyway. I've flown like 4-5 hours to Europe without a meal. I can't imagine a domestic UK flight needing a meal.