• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
As an ex-pat of Belfast, fuck off with that shit. Attitudes like yours only propagate that train of thought that divide people.

It doesn't matter where you put the border. Between north and south, Britain and Northern Ireland there's gonna be a flare up. By whom depends on who gets the border.
Maybe you are right that I shouldn't get so flared up with it being referred to as the North, I admit I have hang ups of my own on that issue as I associate it with Sinn Fein and am still really upset with them over the bread loaf incident, But you are right that me getting worked up on it is my own issue and something that I need to work on myself. I never meant to upset people and am sorry if I have done so.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you are right that I shouldn't get so flared up with it being referred to as the North, I admit I have hang ups of my own on that issue as I associate it with Sinn Fein and am still really upset with them over the bread loaf incident, But you are right that me getting worked up on it is my own issue and something that I need to work on myself. I never meant to upset people and am sorry if I have done so.
It's like with Derry/Londonderry - who the fuck cares in the grand scheme of things? The North? Northern Ireland? Just names, you know what the person means.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, as Unit & Mega, they have already been setting that up so they don't have to take the blame for this shitshow and keep playing EU as the boogeyman

Jeremy Hunt on Brexit: 'We are heading for no deal by accident' [The Guardian, May 2018]
UK public will blame EU for no-deal Brexit, says Jeremy Hunt [The Guardian, Jul 2018]

They will have no intention of taking any responsibility. I suspect that's all why many of them allowed May to continue being PM for now, so they can pin most of this on her and try to keep their names clean for their own leadership bids before next election
Aye, the absolute last thing any of these clowns want to do is take responsibility. It'd be a death sentence politically, but it's too much to ask for them to put the public first.
I don't refer to it as the "North" that's what the other poster did. I've mostly referred to the country as ROI cus Republic of Ireland is a long name but you are right referring to it simply as down south is dismissive. I apologise. I would normally refer to it as Ireland but that can get confusing as some take that as referring to both countries
Quite frankly, bollocks to this. You know full well what you're doing. I'm remembering now my mate pointing out the Orange Order flag hung outside his window in Belfast a few months back. What he told me about his experience with both sides of the divide. Hard Unionists like you have no respect for the Irish, and posts like the ones I've quoted make it clear.

Edit:
It's like with Derry/Londonderry - who the fuck cares in the grand scheme of things? The North? Northern Ireland? Just names, you know what the person means.
Nonono, it's Derry. End of.
Ok, I won't actually fight you on it :P

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
As an ex-pat of Belfast, fuck off with that shit. Attitudes like yours only propagate that train of thought that divide people.

It doesn't matter where you put the border. Between north and south, Britain and Northern Ireland there's gonna be a flare up. By whom depends on who gets the border.

it's actually the occupied 6 counties m8

Seriously though, I know that we are famous for arguing in NI over very minute differences, but can we please stop talking semantics when a very real disaster risks screwing us over? We're in deep shit because we have no agreement whatsoever. If the UK Government had any sense, it'd postpone (at the very worst) Brexit and make a deal BEFORE leaving, and I'm being very generous about that outcome. I sincerely unfortunately believe that a No Deal Brexit would result in a new Troubles once again when everything goes to shit, as enough people don't realise how good we've had it compared to the past.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's like telling people in freefall to prepare for the moment they hit the ground. "Couldn't I just use the parachute strapped to my back and stop this?" "No, we're too proud for that"

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
If the UK Government had any sense, it'd postpone (at the very worst) Brexit and make a deal BEFORE leaving, and I'm being very generous about that outcome.
They won't.

Brexit has NOTHING to do with the deal (or lack of deal), it's about avoiding the 2019 EU Tax Directives. The people behind this don't care if there's a deal or not, as long as they excape the new tax regulations.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep

Protestants in Belfast almost exclusively as far as I can tell.

I've had a lad threaten to kill me over not calling it slash city before.

That said it's not surprising people care about names and words, they are important. Now the North making up a fake language is certainly a bit surprising.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I was the one who originally said "the North" and I certainly didn't mean anything by it. I just didn't feel like typing out the full names. I don't talk about Ireland often and if I had thought to use NI and ROI I would have done so.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I was the one who originally said "the North" and I certainly didn't mean anything by it. I just didn't feel like typing out the full names. I don't talk about Ireland often and if I had thought to use NI and ROI I would have done so.

Most people use the North and it's fine. Only a very specific kind of person takes serious issue with it, and you're safe enough behind a computer screen to not have to worry about massive assholes.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I apologise for making a big thing about it to be honest, it was my own hang up and I shouldn't have made a big deal about. Sorry about getting you involved with it, I shouldn't have got bothered by you referring it to as the North

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I apologise for making a big thing about it to be honest, it was my own hang up and I shouldn't have made a big deal about. Sorry about getting you involved with it, I shouldn't have got bothered by you referring it to as the North
It's cool, you weren't offensive to me about it. TBH the discussion after it was an eye opener, I had no idea, and I can see why people would be passionate about it. It's not a problem though. In future I'll try to remember to use NI and ROI which are more convenient shorthand anyway.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's cool, you weren't offensive to me about it. TBH the discussion after it was an eye opener, I had no idea, and I can see why people would be passionate about it. It's not a problem though. In future I'll try to remember to use NI and ROI which are more convenient shorthand anyway.
No seriously, you can use whatever terms you want, the other posters are correct that I shouldn't have got worked up over it. It was a shitty move.

Oct 27, 2017
I call it Derry, but I also don't get up in arms when someone calls it Londonderry, is my point. Seeing people freaking out over it (especially on comment sections on Facebook) is such a pet peeve of mine. Just riles me.
There are certainly people who take it very seriously, and I can absolutely see why it's a big point of contention up North. Personally, I'm just not going to call it Londonderry any time soon, but yeah, I'm not going to fight about it. It's not my place to I feel, as a Dubliner.

it's actually the occupied 6 counties m8

Seriously though, I know that we are famous for arguing in NI over very minute differences, but can we please stop talking semantics when a very real disaster risks screwing us over? We're in deep shit because we have no agreement whatsoever. If the UK Government had any sense, it'd postpone (at the very worst) Brexit and make a deal BEFORE leaving, and I'm being very generous about that outcome. I sincerely unfortunately believe that a No Deal Brexit would result in a new Troubles once again when everything goes to shit, as enough people don't realise how good we've had it compared to the past.
Damn, I've only ever heard that said once by a super pro-IRA dude way back.

But anyway, what you said can't be said enough. This is a very dangerous situation for NI. I hate the phrase "meeting in the middle" when it comes to politics, but NI really has only gotten by on the notion. Brexit is making that situation near impossible and it's going to be a very tense situation. I really do hope for the best for you all.
Most people use the North and it's fine. Only a very specific kind of person takes serious issue with it, and you're safe enough behind a computer screen to not have to worry about massive assholes.
Yep, very specific. The kind being hardcore Unionists, who are vehemently opposed to ties to the South. I'd wager you'd have to actively look in like an Orange Order area to find someone IRL who would be that upset about it to assault you. It'd be easier to find someone to assault you because you're from the South!

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't think we'll ever go back to the violence we had before during the Troubles. The will or desire just isn't there and the population especially just won't stand for it and I genuinely don't believe most of the paramilitaries are interested in it either. Now that doesn't mean to say there won't be flare ups etc but a long sustained campaign ? I honestly don't see it.
I really fucking hope we don't see anything happen

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
More like the Bad Friday Agreement am I right?

The same lad mentioned above went on a rant about this actually.

I genuinely don't think we'll ever go back to the violence we had before during the Troubles. The will or desire just isn't there and the population especially just won't stand for it and I genuinely don't believe most of the paramilitaries are interested in it either. Now that doesn't mean to say there won't be flare ups etc but a long sustained campaign ? I honestly don't see it.

I think you're right. Most people have tasted sustained peace and found it good. Most people don't want a fight anymore, and the extremists benefit more from sabre rattling than actual conflict.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The same lad mentioned above went on a rant about this actually.
Not a lad and wasn't the one that brought it up either- the only reason my family don't like the good Friday agreement was cus of the fact it let convicted murderers out and my father had close friends killed during the Troubles. If you think that's a rant fine.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

I hope you are right. I hope that the past few decades have broken the spell of sectarian conflict and that given Brexit and the disaster that will unfold the Irish will realise it's time to lay down old greviances and become one. And that if the English aren't willing to then it is the English that need be left behind.

Then again some people still hear whispers from their family about the injustices and the things left undone and I just hope they are a minority who will have no power.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not Irish but it's all Ireland to me. If the UK wanted a no backstop brexit their was a simple solution. Give up claim to the 6 counties.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
As a person living in the USA, I play a little game and try to give a score on how absurd American or British politics are that particular day. Sadly is pretty even right now.

TheGreekFreak

Alt account
Banned
Dec 16, 2018

After Brexit the NI economy is going to be in such a shit hole that violence will come sooner or later. The only question is how fast and what form.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
After Brexit the NI economy is going to be in such a shit hole that violence will come sooner or later. The only question is how fast and what form.
If it's hanging the politicians that caused this from lamp posts, I'll not stop it.

Edit: I should expand on this because it sounds really darker than I meant it to - There will be a lot of people who realise they've been lied to, and not just in NI, who were whipped into a frenzy by certain people. The mob those politicians created won't settle for "sorry" or to sit and discuss it, they'll be out for blood. The people who caused this won't get a trial by jury, it'll be trial by the mobs they created.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Not a lad and wasn't the one that brought it up either- the only reason my family don't like the good Friday agreement was cus of the fact it let convicted murderers out and my father had close friends killed during the Troubles. If you think that's a rant fine.

Wasn't about you, but sure complain about the GFA that's a good look. The whole thing's a 400 year long tragedy and the GFA is the only thing that's made the situation any better in a century.

I've had a lad threaten to kill me over not calling it slash city before.

The fellow in question.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
Always dreamed of having a basement full of people for food, like in The Road. So happy to see we are close to that becoming reality.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Wasn't about you, but sure complain about the GFA that's a good look.
Wasn't about you, but sure complain about the GFA that's a good look.

The fellow in question.
Sorry I am getting really tense in this thread, it was suggested I get executed earlier and I've been called a lot of names. Am kinda getting really upset and it's late so I should just leave this thread. Am sorry if I upset anyone or was obnoxious in this thread, I know can get too emotional sometimes and not even think what I'm saying.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Expat Pom....have no vote , but have family and friends in UK..

Watching closely and seeing no real change in opinions from either side...

Angry (some nuclear) disgruntled remainers wanting an end to the "madness" .....and angry Brexiters wanting the Govt to get on with it..and a self serving Govt and opposition clueless on how to deliver for any of them..

Its fucked up...I would have likely voted remain, but have some sympathy for some of the leaver sentiments...

So hows this gonna play out......really needs someone to stand up and take the country clean out or stay in....civil unrest will follow either way. In terms of planning for a hard exit, they should have been doing that 2 years ago...and I think it is a more likely outcome than many might care to believe or want ...gulp

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The drop in the pound is crushing. It should recover but its been bad this year.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really should revote on exiting or not before this goes too far. Especially now that it's known how badly the voters were played.

TheGreekFreak

Alt account
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
The drop in the pound is crushing. It should recover but its been bad this year.

It's going to drop more if Mays deal goes through (temp bunp back to then down year over year for like 10 years minimum).

No deal? Shit UK will be lucky if they aren't printing 10 million pound notes like Zimbabwe in 5 years and taking 200 mil for a pint.

Scary answer? We have no idea.
Indeed it's scary. My employer has no idea wtf is happening and 3/4 of hired workforce is from EU countries like Portugal,Poland, Hungary, Lithuania. I'm just wondering what will happen with all these immigrants (including me) who left their homes and families in search of better life.

To be honest most of the industry in the area where I live is full of EU workforce.

Last edited:

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It's going to drop more if Mays deal goes through (temp bunp back to then down year over year for like 10 years minimum).

No deal? Shit UK will be lucky if they aren't printing 10 million pound notes like Zimbabwe in 5 years and taking 200 mil for a pint.

You don't know Forex do you?
A deal would increase the pounds worth, shows optimism. No deal may get it to new lows (1.2 US) but it will inevitably bounce back due to the strength of the UKs economy and the strength of the City of London (and its stock exchange).

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed it's scary. My employer has no idea wtf is happening and 3/4 of hired workforce is from EU countries like Portugal,Poland, Hungary, Lithuania. I'm just wondering what will happen with all these immigrants (including me) who left their homes and families in search of better life.

To be honest most of the industry in the area where I live is full of EU workforce.
This is what upsets me more than anything else, the human aspect. I wish I could give you an answer or assurances, but we honestly don't know and that's the shameful truth and I'm sorry.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is the perfect example of brexit.

Leavers throwing their daily mail greatest hits at the wall hoping some of it will stick.

Anyway as i can expected we're probably gonna run into a no deal by accident situation which will be a disaster. My in-laws in scotland don't seem too worried but my wife is scared of what's gonna happen and how it's gonna affect her family in the UK (we live in germany).

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The worst goverment in history. Absolute fuckers the lot of them. It's clear they want a No Deal, and are pushing for it to happen "by accident" so they can blame it on everyone else even though we now know we can simply stop Brexit in its tracks... But these cunts want it to happen. They want the chaos, removing g us from EU rules. I figure the Tory party will split and we'll have some super right version running things getting as much bad shit done as quickly as possible before they're ousted eventually by a fucking angry public.

I just hope to god Scotland votes for independence ASAP if this is what really comes to pass. I can't take this bullshit.