• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
My dad had four friends murdered during the troubles, and he still has never got over it. It's a big reason why he was never okay with the Good Friday Agreement letting out convicted murderers, as real people died and their families and friends deserve some justice. If you think that's scummy fine, I'm glad there's no longer violence in Northern Ireland, I am not glad that the people who killed and destroyed from both communities walked away with no consequences, while the victim's lost so much.
You claim to care, yet also voted Leave. A decision near enough guaranteed to reignite the violence and create more victims.
^^^
You would think being from NI you'd know the community a little better than you seem to. The divides are still very strong.
If people start killing people I'm damn well blaming them. There are multiple ways of campaigning and politics and changing people's minds that don't involve blowing people up. Just like while I don't like a border between mainland UK and NI, I would blame the violence on those people, not the EU or the UK or the ROI. Am I meant to spend my whole voting life having to be afraid and listen to threats that I will get blown up if I don't agree with them?
If people start killing each other, it's on you and the rest the gobshites who pushed and continue to push for Brexit knowing full well what that means for NI/ROI.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
No deal won't happen. this is a trick to make people vote for her deal.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Ian Paisley helped create the Ulster Resistance movement!

EDIT: you know what, rras1994, I'm done. I've asked my questions and gotten no answers that haven't been either uninformed or outright dishonest. You do you but I would plead that you seriously consider the responses that have been made to your posts.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I honestly can't see a No Deal happening. I dont think there's ever been anything like this happen before? It would be absolutely disastrous for the entire UK populace... Banking, employment, medicine, trade, transport, and so much more.

May has showed her ability to buy herself more time when things got rough, therefore I believe she will probably look to extend article 50 and renegotiate or withdraw article 50 altogether. I honestly can't see any other outcome happening. It's not realistic or feasible.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Ian Paisley helped create the Ulster Resistance movement!

EDIT: you know what, rras1994, I'm done. I've asked my questions, gotten no answers that haven't been either uninformed or outright dishonest.

When have I supported Ian Paisly in any of this? I hate the man, my family hates him, I'm not sure where you are getting that I've supported him nor were I've been uninformed or dishonest? I literally said earlier in the thread my dad was happy when he died and that the reason he didn't support GFA had nothing to do with him like another poster suggested.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I don't see why leaving the EU means the EU has a right to split NI away from the rest of the UK - and I don't see how that supports the peace process either.

Im sorry your dad had to endure that. But this statement above shows how misinformed leave voters like you were.

No border means a backdoor into the UK and into Europe. It basically takes away the whole reason why leave voters wanted to leave. There is no magical technological bullet and there is no solution.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No fucks sake May. I can live with a deal, it's stupid but it's what the people want, but no deal is fucked up.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Im sorry your dad had to endure that. But this statement above shows how misinformed leave voters like you were.

No border means a backdoor into the UK and into Europe. It basically takes away the whole reason why leave voters wanted to leave. There is no magical technological bullet and there is no solution.
I can deal with a border between NI and ROI better then at the Irish Sea where most of our food and supplies comes in (alot for down South too) and I don't know how that would affect our gas line which for the whole island of Ireland goes through NI from Scotland. I don't see the border there as a good idea at all and causes as many if not more problems then a border between NI and ROI. I don't think the EU have actually though it through enough. We shouldn't need a backstop, there shouldn't be an option for the EU and UK governments not to sort it out.

Oct 25, 2017
WOW! The UK really is fucked huh?

We've reached a point in public discourse where beliefs and feelings outweigh facts and logic. So in short, yes we are.
Also the telling part of that video is how many of the audience clapped at what was said by Gove.
Even now (that video is pre referendum), the current economic forecasts are dismissed as fear mongering, and pointless because they won't be 100% accurate (which oddly enough is precisely what forecasts will be, being interpretations of the future based on all presently available information).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can deal with a border between NI and ROI better then at the Irish Sea where most of our food and supplies comes in (alot for down South too) and I don't know how that would affect our gas line which for the whole island of Ireland goes through NI from Scotland. I don't see the border there as a good idea at all and causes as many if not more problems then a border between NI and ROI. I don't think the EU have actually though it through enough. We shouldn't need a backstop, there shouldn't be an option for the EU and UK governments not to sort it out.

The EU government have thought it through. The backstop is a requirement that will remain in place until such a time as another actual solution to the border is worked out.

The only solutions are either continued free movement with EU hence no need for a border between Ireland's or a border between the Irish sea and the rest of the UK. A border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is not feasible in any sense of the word.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
When have I supported Ian Paisly in any of this? I hate the man, my family hates him, I'm not sure where you are getting that I've supported him nor were I've been uninformed or dishonest? I literally said earlier in the thread my dad was happy when he died and that the reason he didn't support GFA had nothing to do with him like another poster suggested.

If that's the case, then I apologise unreservedly. It scanned like you were supporting Paisley over the GFA.

If you want to know why I think you're uninformed, it's because you equate the backstop (an insurance policy which, as of the current deal, would keep all of the UK in regulatory alignment for the transition period, not just NI) as the failure of the EU instead of being entirely the result of the UK government's red lines.

Please remember, the original backstop was just to keep NI in the customs union. It was the EU who compromised here. If we knowingly spread misinformation and "both sides" the issue, then we are being dishonest. I'm sorry to have to be blunt about this, but these are the facts at hand.

TheGreekFreak

Alt account
Banned
Dec 16, 2018

Holy shit if this is the mentality of leave voters young/intelligent enough to be on a random non Facebook forum the UK is really and truly fucked for another few generations.

Scotland needs independence.

NI needs unification, why stay in the UK when millions of voters simply don't care if you live or die?

Staying in the UK is madness.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
If that's the case, then I apologise unreservedly. It scanned like you were supporting Paisley over the GFA.

If you want to know why I think you're uninformed, it's because you equate the backstop (an insurance policy which, as of the current deal, would keep all of the UK in regulatory alignment for the transition period, not just NI) as the failure of the EU instead of being entirely the result of the UK government's red lines.

Please remember, the original backstop was just to keep NI in the customs union. It was the EU who compromised here. If we knowingly spread misinformation and "both sides" the issue, then we are being dishonest. I'm sorry to have to be blunt about this, but these are the facts at hand.
My problem is that I see it being used by the EU to try and keep the UK in (and I'm also am angry with the UK government about this as well) and that we get in the situation were it's kept permanently cus both sides try to call each others bluff. I don't want it as a possible solution on the table at all, if the Uk gov has to change some of their red lines fine, if the EU has to accept some changes fine. But I'm not okay with it even being suggested or seen as a solution by either of them. Maybe I should be clear that I'm not happy with the UK government being okay with that arrangement wither.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
My problem is that I see it being used by the EU to try and keep the UK in (and I'm also am angry with the UK government about this as well) and that we get in the situation were it's kept permanently cus both sides try to call each others bluff. I don't want it as a possible solution on the table at all, if the Uk gov has to change some of their red lines fine, if the EU has to accept some changes fine. But I'm not okay with it even being suggested or seen as a solution by either of them. Maybe I should be clear that I'm not happy with the UK government being okay with that arrangement wither.

Brexit means Brexit, mate.

This is what happens when you shit in your own mouth.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Holy shit if this is the mentality of leave voters young/intelligent enough to be on a random non Facebook forum the UK is really and truly fucked for another few generations.

Scotland needs independence.

NI needs unification, why stay in the UK when millions of voters simply don't care if you live or die?

Staying in the UK is madness.
I'm from Northern Ireland but thanks for the insult. I think you underestimate how much stuff we deliver and get from the rest of the UK, or even the number of people that work in mainland UK for the week and come back at the weekend. I don't like getting cut off from the rest of the UK.

TheGreekFreak

Alt account
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I'm from Northern Ireland but thanks for the insult. I think you underestimate how much stuff we deliver and get from the rest of the UK, or even the number of people that work in mainland UK for the week and come back at the weekend. I don't like getting cut off from the rest of the UK.

Holy shit that makes it even worse.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hard Brexiters seem to think many things will carry on like normal because the EU wouldn't dare. Hard Brexit will have contingencies in place because the world still goes round and there isn't fucking idiots at all levels but you must be joking if you think the EU is going to let it all slide just because the reality is very bad. They will try to help because they are pragmatic and decent but rules will be applied.

tumblr_oq7q268vQb1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Khan should have kept that Boris water cannon :p

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Well luckily the Tories got into bed with the one Party that won't vote for anything that cuts NI off from the rest of the UK.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017

Compromising any of the four freedoms, including freedom of movement, would destroy the EU. (And they've been clear on this since before negotiations started).

Ask yourself this: why would any group vote to destroy themselves to make life easier for someone leaving the very same group? Why would you make an exit deal more attractive than membership?

Even if the UK got everything we wanted, then WTO members would complain on the basis of preferental treatment! There is simply no way the UK can leave the EU customs union and not have some form of border that requires checks. And there is no technological solution to prevent friction at the border, certainly not at this stage of the game, even if a deal passes and we have two years to sort out the actual exit.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Well luckily the Tories got into bed with the one Party that won't vote for anything that cuts NI off from the of the UK.
That's pretty much the only good thing the DUP have ever done. Which is just depressing when you think about it, pretty much all the NI political parties suck, they are just varying degrees of either incompetent or monstrous or a terrifying combination of both.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
And there we have it.
May's plan summed up perfectly.

May "oh, you don't want my deal.... let's jump off the cliff then"
MPs "hmm, actually, your deal doesn't sound so bad"
Is there a third option? It doesn't seem like the EU is going to offer a much better deal no matter who's in charge of negotiating.

If it's eventually going to come down to that deal or no deal anyway, might as well sound the alarm bells early.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Compromising any of the four freedoms, including freedom of movement, would destroy the EU. (And they've been clear on this since before negotiations started).

Ask yourself this: why would any group vote to destroy themselves to make life easier for someone leaving the very same group? Why would you make an exit deal more attractive than membership?
I think if all you've got is the threat that we will make it really hard for you if you leave to keep people in, then you probably have much bigger issues. I would actually be fine with remaining in the EU if I felt like they were capable of changing but nothing they've done so far has shown that. I hate whats' happening to the Southern European countries economically, and there doesn't seem to be much will to change it, it doesn't feel like the EU actually makes countries follows it's rules (the stuff in Hungary scares me and the EU is doing nothing to stop it), and I feel like companies abuse the freedom of movement to abuse workers from countries with lower currencies and then call poor people in the UK lazy for not taking the low paid, often abusive jobs. And nothing seems like it's done to tackle these issues. Nor do I feel like my vote means much in EU elections. If I felt like the EU could change I'd go back to the EU but it feels like it won't and I could see these issues that they aren't facing ending up destroying it more than Brexit ever could.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
There was a Tory cunt on TV this morning saying thats good for the UK because they're probably buying British fridges.

Fuck these people into the sun. Fuck them all.
Haha, "probably" buying British. If you think about it, there will be lots of cheap fridges on the market after all is said and done, another benefit!

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Well, the ECJ ruled that the UK could unilaterally revoke Article 50. This means we could start the process if leaving any time we wanted.

It is a perfectly legal Get Out of Jail Free card the EU have made available to the UK.

Neither May nor Corbyn have put this idea forward for debate, never mind a vote. Instead May invoked Article 50 a year ago, for no good reason, creating a deadline when it was clear that nothing substantial had been decided, even at the cabinet level. Corbyn (who regularly rebelled against Labour governments as a backbencher) told his MPs they had to vote for invoking Article 50, under threat of disciplinary action.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but no deal seemed inevitable.

I have family split between North and South of Ireland so that shit is going to be messy. Got people who are just too old to move now. Most young and educated people I know got the hell out of there over the last year down to Dublin or elsewhere in the EU.

Also with Dublin property being a mess, getting a place up North across the border for a fraction of what you pay down south and commuting down isnt a option anymore either. That sucks. One lad in work is int hat spot.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And there we have it.
May's plan summed up perfectly.

May "oh, you don't want my deal.... let's jump off the cliff then"
MPs "hmm, actually, your deal doesn't sound so bad"
Politicians can be cunning, but they can also be fucking stupid. See: the referendum. Playing chicken is not cunning: playing chicken means a good chance you'll crash and burn.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I think if all you've got is the threat that we will make it really hard for you if you leave to keep people in, then you probably have much bigger issues. I would actually be fine with remaining in the EU if I felt like they were capable of changing but nothing they've done so far has shown that. I hate whats' happening to the Southern European countries economically, and there doesn't seem to be much will to change it, it doesn't feel like the EU actually makes countries follows it's rules (the stuff in Hungary scares me and the EU is doing nothing to stop it), and I feel like companies abuse the freedom of movement to abuse workers from countries with lower currencies and then call poor people in the UK lazy for not taking the low paid, often abusive jobs. And nothing seems like it's done to tackle these issues. Nor do I feel like my vote means much in EU elections. If I felt like the EU could change I'd go back to the EU but it feels like it won't and I could see these issues that they aren't facing ending up destroying it more than Brexit ever could.

The reason we have MEPs is for them to raise these objections in Brussels. The problem is, the British public have spent decades electing Eurosceptics who have no intention of making the European parliament and (by extension, the EU) look like a functioning governmental body.

Human selfishness explains the problems with Greece and Italy. Dodgy spending promises (and outright fraud, in the case of Greece) have caused their financial woes, compounded by the IMF imposing austerity measures with the complicit backing of German voters who don't want to bail out their neighbours. It's not fair and it's not right but it is not inherently the fault of the EU.

Of course, given that we are in the unusual position of having EU membership without having to have adopted the Euro, we wouldn't have fallen into the same problems as the Greeks.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Good

Honestly I hope the whole thing falls apart and the UK has to clean house and elect a government that will have to crawl back and ask the E.U. for readmission into the union

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very, very interested in hearing what they intend to use the 3500 soldiers for.

What are they expecting to happen that they need military personnel?

Good

Honestly I hope the whole thing falls apart and the UK has to clean house and elect a government that will have to crawl back and ask the E.U. for readmission into the union

Why? It's worth remembering that 48% of us here never wanted any of this in the first place and think the leaving the EU is ridiculous.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
At this point honestly no one knows.
No one knew at any point or will know for a while...typical!
I still can't believe this was put up for a vote of all things. This is where representative democracy should shield us from mob rule.

The people that voted leave clearly did not see the massive implications of it all.

The referendum was not binding at all, it was the Notification of Withdrawal vote in the parliament that ultimately gave the government the power to go through with it, not the referendum...so representative democracy didn't work here either.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

So you don't want a return to the troubles? That logically means there cannot be a hard border between NI and Ireland because that would effectively be breaking the good Friday agreement.

If there can't be a hard border, then how do you stop EU citizens and good coming into NI through Ireland?

This is something the government should have seen a mile off.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
The country on fire prep has to have been underway well before now. I bet the politicians have security routes worked out to get themselves out of just about any riot situation. The money has already been secured offshore.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very, very interested in hearing what they intend to use the 3500 soldiers for.

What are they expecting to happen that they need military personnel?

Why? It's worth remembering that 48% of us here never wanted any of this in the first place and think the leaving the EU is ridiculous.
Could be literally anything, any job that comes up due to issues caused by Brexit.
My guess would be extra border staff at places like Dover, marshalling the lorry park / motorway outside Dover, protecting shipments of food and medicines.