• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
One of three schoolgirls who left east London in 2015 to join the Islamic State group says she has no regrets, but wants to return to the UK.​
In an interview with the Times, Shamima Begum, now 19, talked about seeing "beheaded heads" in bins - but said that it "did not faze her".​
Speaking from a refugee camp in Syria, she said she was nine months pregnant and wanted to come home for her baby.​
She said she'd had two other children who had both died.​
She also described how one of her two school friends that had left the UK with her had died in a bombing. The fate of the third girl is unclear.​
Bethnal Green Academy pupils Ms Begum and Amira Abase were both 15, while Kadiza Sultana was 16, when they left the UK in February 2015.​
They flew from Gatwick Airport to Turkey after telling their parents they were going out for the day. They later crossed the border into Syria​
After arriving in Raqqa, she stayed at a house with other newly arrived brides-to-be, she told the Times.​
"I applied to marry an English-speaking fighter between 20 and 25 years old," she said.​
Ten days later she married a 27-year-old Dutch man who had converted to Islam.​
She has been with him since then, and the couple escaped from Baghuz - the group's last territory in eastern Syria - two weeks ago.​
Her husband surrendered to a group of Syrian fighters as they left, and she is now one of 39,000 people in a refugee camp in northern Syria.​
Asked by Times journalist Anthony Loyd whether her experiences of living in the one-time IS stronghold of Raqqa had lived up to her aspirations, Ms Begum said: "Yes, it did. It was like a normal life. The life that they show on the propaganda videos - it's a normal life.​
"Every now and then there are bombs and stuff. But other than that..." She said that seeing her first "severed head" in a bin "didn't faze me at all".​
"It was from a captured fighter seized on the battlefield, an enemy of Islam. "I thought only of what he would have done to a Muslim woman if he had the chance," she said.​
"I'm not the same silly little 15-year-old schoolgirl who ran away from Bethnal Green four years ago," she told Mr Loyd.​
"I don't regret coming here."​

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47229181

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Fuck her. She went and joined a radical violent terrorist group willingly. There's an extreme danger to everyone letting her come back.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, running from your country to join an enemy force seems like pretty good reason to not allow you back in the country, as reasons go.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
She made her choice and she can deal with the consequences, either don't let her back in the country or lock her up.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
She comes across as a sociopath tbh.

I, for one, am sorry for the baby but I don't think she should be allowed to come back.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
sure welcome back. Here is a jail cell you can sit in to think about treason

nwb

Mar 30, 2018
I mean, running from your country to join an enemy force seems like pretty good reason to not allow you back in the country, as reasons go.

If she can get to the UK somehow, it's not like they can stop a citizen from entering. They can arrest and charge her with whichever crime they might be able to prove, but that's about it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how we can. She left to wage war against countries like ours, and she has no regrets.

How does she expect us to even approach that?

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't have high hopes. They are just getting smaller and smaller," she said. "And there is so much oppression and corruption going on that I don't really think they deserve victory."
Apparently ISIS don't deserve victory because they're oppressive and corrupt...

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure there are other isis fighters she can join. she needs to never come back.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could have some sympathy from the viewpoint of a 15 year old can be easily manipulated but the quotes from her imply she still supports ISIS and has only stopped fighting because she's scared/tired. "I was weak," she said. "I could not endure the suffering and hardship that staying on the battlefield involved."

So leave her there to fight the good fight, I say.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She can count herself happy that the Iraqis didn't catch her. Many former foreign jihhadi-brides have been sentenced to death after ISIS had been pushed out. That being said, she deserves to rot in jail.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't work like that.

There are consequences. Isis isn't a harmless summer part time job you can write off.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad she didn't get violated by "an enemy of Islam" like she said the head in the bin -- was but I am not sure about the relative romance of "English speaking 20 to 25 year old "

Her adventurism and ignorance is only different from endless alienated teenage boys with no prospects in that she got to fight for the right to be half a person in a squalid horror show.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I live like 4 minutes from where she used to go to school in Bethnal Green and ya, except for the lack of severed heads life is pretty normal.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I still find it impossible to process, as someone not that much older than 27, how you'd marry a...what, 15-year-old even at that time and think "This is OK. There's nothing wrong with doing this" irrespective of your views on foreign policy

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Bring her back, put the child in whatever child services are over there and toss her piece of shit ass into a cell for the rest of her life.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
She's using the resources of a refugee camp presumably alongside proper refugees that her husband helped put there?

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Home Secretary would have the power to remove her British citizenship, but only if she would not become stateless. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible so if she does come back then she should be tried and sentenced accordingly. Seems to be enough evidence in her case that she has very much been involved with ISIS.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I know teenagers make dumb decisions at time but holy shit this girl made an aggressively stupid decision and doesn't regret it at all. She doesn't deserve to come home and should live with the choice she made until she realizes the mistake she's made and is actually sorry for it. Then once she back they can toss her butt in jail for supporting terrorism and place her child in protective care.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck her. I say that as not a UK citizen. But Inwould say that for anyone anywhere leaving to do that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If she can get to the UK somehow, it's not like they can stop a citizen from entering. They can arrest and charge her with whichever crime they might be able to prove, but that's about it.

They've definitely floated the idea of doing so bring grounds for charging with treason, though I assume nothing came of it because it would definitely have made the papers.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Bring her back, and when she delivers the baby, put the baby into a loving family, and try her as a terrorist. She's a criminal and should be treated as such. That baby though has rights that shouldn't be impeded on just because its mother is a piece of shit.

Oct 30, 2017
She was groomed and brainwashed as a 15 year old teenager. Sounds like she'll need some psychiatric assessment and therapy to undo the brainwashing. I'm not supportive of those saying to throw her into prison as it's not clear whether she was anything more than the victim of an international grooming scheme. What's most problematic is that she seems divorced from reality at the moment.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, listening to her audio interview, she sounds like a sociopath. Didn't care at all seeing beheaded people's heads piled in a bin, only cares that she herself is being put in a bad position now and she wants to go home for the luxuries of better healthcare. Terrible person. She doesn't deserve to come back imo.