• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Slightly concerning outcome honestly. Feel bad for the child. Would have much rather that she be locked up here, with the child found a loving (and safe) home.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...a-begum-has-british-citizenship-revoked-home/

Jihadi bride, Shamima Begum, has had her British citizenship revoked by the Home Office.
In a letter sent to her family in east London, officials said the Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, had made the decision in "light of the circumstances".
The letter, obtained by ITV News, read: "Please find enclosed papers that relate to a decision taken by the Home Secretary, to deprive your daughter, Shamima Begum, of her British citizenship.
"In light of the circumstances of your daughter, the notice of the Home Secretary's decision has been served of file today (19th February), and the order removing her British citizenship has subsequently been made."
The letter went on to urge Ms Begum's family to make the teenager aware of the decision, but added that she had a right to appeal.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little surprised, as back in the summer their standpoint was that "The security minister, Ben Wallace, said: "Prosecution and conviction is always our preference for dealing with terrorists." I don't support her just going home and living free of course, but I imagine there is a process for putting her on trial for the crimes she's committed. Don't really care either way tbh. Kid sounds fucked regardless though.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Slightly concerning outcome honestly. Feel bad for the child. Would have much rather that she be locked up here, with the child found a loving (and safe) home.
Agreed. She still has a right to appeal and I imagine the family will likely help her do that (for the babies sake at least)
I doubt the decision will stand under scrutiny

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
does she have a dual citizenship with another country ? because making a person stateless is pretty much forbidden by international law (UN 1961 convention, Article 8). There are a few exceptions, including disloyalty to the state, but you'd have a hard time claiming a 15 years old, whatever she did, qualify for such accusations.
Not that the uk cares about international agreements nowadays anyway.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Good. There was no way to get her back in anyway without putting others lives at risk.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
does she have a dual citizenship with another country ? because making a person stateless is pretty much forbidden by international law (UN 1961 convention, Article 8). There are a few exceptions, including disloyalty to the state, but you'd have a hard time claiming a 15 years old, whatever she did, qualify for such accusations.
Not that the uk cares about international agreement nowadays anyway.

Don't think the UN will fight for a 19 year old who says she doesn't regret joining isis

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
This is a complex situation.

I have no sympathy for her, personally. I have a huge amount of sympathy for her innocent child. I would've been OK if they had taken her back and made her face justice in the UK courts.

The cynic in me almost feels this is a political point-scoring move, but maybe that's too harsh of me.

Either way, I can't say I'm sad she's no longer a British citizen.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
She was made an example of.

"Kids, do not join ISIS, look what happened to Shamima Begum."

It's a harsh ruling but it's a harsh world.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
one less potential murderer off the streets is my logic.
She wouldn't get life so in 10-20 years you'd have a 40 year old women with a radical ideology running around freely in a state she left to become and enemy of the state.

She chose to fight against the state so why should the state care for her well being? Let her rot in a refugee camp or even better Iraqi/Syrian prison.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not sure how I feel about revoking citizenship, if she's now stateless then I'm unhappy with this country chucking it's loonies onto the backs of other countries.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So she can radicalize inmates
She wouldn't get life so in 10-20 years you'd have a 40 year old women with a radical ideology running around freely in a state she left to become and enemy of the state.

She chose to fight against the state so why should the state care for her well being? Let her rot in a refugee camp or even better Iraqi/Syrian prison.

what about her child though?

Oct 30, 2017
So have they made her stateless and are we just dumping this responsibility onto another country?

More importantly, the baby is a British citizen and we should have at least taken the baby back.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
The UN might actually object - it did launch a campaign against statelessness a while back. Theresa May as Home Secretary was on record admitting that making people stateless is illegal (assuming this woman doesn't have citizenship elsewhere), so this one is a bit of a volte face.

It's a shame for her child that this woman engaged in such a fiery set of interviews. If she focused more on remorse or disorientation in those conversations, I wonder if the government would have had a harder rhetorical case to make in repatriating her.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
I'm ok with this - I'd have even been ok with taking her child into the UK to give it (her/him?) a better life, but you lay down with dogs you get fleas *shrug*

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

revoking citizenship sets bad precedent imo

The precedent of NOT fucking off to join a terrorist army? Seems like a perfectly fine precedent to me.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, she gave up any rights when she fucked off to join ISIS.

Absolutely fuck all wrong with what has happened.

Did Britain ever officially recognise ISIS as a state? No. Therefore we have made her stateless and violated intenational treatise and are shirking our responsibilities.

Why should Syria have to keep her?

If a paedo was over molesting kids in cambodia we don't revoke their citizenship. The Home Secretary is saying he does not believe in the British Justice System.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not arbitrarily in this case though is it? The lack of remorse and continued support of ISIS alone is enough to make it clear this person doesn't deserve the right to return to the UK.

She hasnt even had a trial, let alone been convicted of anything. Her lack of remorse or continued support for ISIS should be issues for the legal system.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine quite a lot of people opposed to ISIS in the region want her dead, the camp is really her only safe haven.

If she does find another country that supports her I don't think it will go down well for the UK in the long run, she will be an asset for propaganda. I suppose that's why the IC people said it's better to take her back, they can see the blowback of a young western figure head. Sure she gets stuck in prison here, no remorse, who knows, gets out, preaches crap. I dunno, rock and a hard place?

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Did Britain ever officially recognise ISIS as a state? No. Therefore we have made her stateless and violated intenational treatise and are shirking our responsibilities.

Hahaha, wow, in that sense this sets up really egregious precedent. Implicitly recognizing ISIS as a state seems like a really stupid thing to do just to tell a teenager to fuck off

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason she should be back is for the child imo. The little one shouldn't suffer a life of this shit because of their mother's crimes.
She is our problem after all. Have her tried and sentenced.
Suggestions that other countries should take care of this problem is idiotic.

A lot of this thread reads like some shit out of the Daily Mail. Civilisation, eh...

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not that the uk cares about international agreements nowadays anyway.
The UN might actually object - it did launch a campaign against statelessness a while back. Theresa May as Home Secretary was on record admitting that making people stateless is illegal (assuming this woman doesn't have citizenship elsewhere), so this one is a bit of a volte face.

It's a shame for her child that this woman engaged in such a fiery set of interviews. If she focused more on remorse or disorientation in those conversations, I wonder if the government would have had a harder rhetorical case to make in repatriating her.
So we don't believe in either domestic or international law or the right to a fair trial? Christ

Actually, looking at the law it might be legal under Article 8 Paragraph 3 b:
"3 . Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1 of this Article, a Contract- ing State may retain the right to deprive a person of his nationality, if at the time of signature, ratification or accession it specifies its retention of such right on one or more of the following grounds, being grounds existing in its national law at that time:"
"(b) that the person has taken an oath, or made a formal declaration, of alle- giance to another State, or given definite evidence of his determination to repudiate his allegiance to the Contracting State."

One could argue that when she joined ISIS she pledged allegiance to the "Islamic State in Syria".
Or even based on Article 8 paragraph 3 a II:

"(ii) has conducted himself in a manner seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the State;"
One could argue that her joining a terrorist force that is threatening western soicety is a manner prejudicial to the interests of the state.
Source for the law:
https://www.unhcr.org/ibelong/wp-co...ion-on-the-reduction-of-Statelessness_ENG.pdf

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why would that be the UK's problem? She joined the Islamic state, so she can apply for citizenship with that state.

This is great all around, the less Jihadis in the UK the less genuine muslims in the UK have to suffer prejudices.

A bunch of Cunty Europeans invaded another country, fucked it up beyond repair, and now we are dumping responsibility to deal with them on the locals.