• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Javid has totally fucked this one. She should have been brought back to Britain and prosecuted, and the poor baby handed over to the care of her family. But no let's use them as a political football.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This whole story is nothing to do with the girl. It's too do with government and what they are (or think they are) allowed to do.

Just because the government don't like someone they can't just strip them of their rights based on a few journalist interviews.

This person has had their fundamental rights as a human being taken away by the UK government without trial, without conviction of any crime.

My point is, forget the terrorism aspect of it and think about that in isolation. This is a dangerous game the UK government are playing.

If she has committed crimes or is a risk to society then you process as normal in the UK if she returns. This is not an issue for the public opinion jury.

Really, my point is about the Government actions than any response to what this girl has said.

stop, you're being too sensible.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Sounds like Britain wants an easy way out instead of building a case to prosecute her. You can want her have the book thrown at her and still think a nation revoking any of its citizens' their citizenship is fucked up.

I don't even think it's that complex. I think it's just posturing by an absolute cunt of a home secretary. As someone else has said this is what ring wing rags are screaming for.

Oct 31, 2017
This whole story is nothing to do with the girl. It's too do with government and what they are (or think they are) allowed to do.

Just because the government don't like someone they can't just strip them of their rights based on a few journalist interviews.

This person has had their fundamental rights as a human being taken away by the UK government without trial, without conviction of any crime.

My point is, forget the terrorism aspect of it and think about that in isolation. This is a dangerous game the UK government are playing.

If she has committed crimes or is a risk to society then you process as normal in the UK if she returns. This is not an issue for the public opinion jury.

Really, my point is about the Government actions than any response to what this girl has said.

Finally, someone gets it. Thank you for your psot

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017

It's not even about what the government think they're allowed to do.

It's down to Javid scoring points for a future leadership bid, this girl has had her rights stripped away purely for the personal gain of one individual.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It is literally point scoring with the Daily Mail/Sun/Sky News. What can win some headlines, legalities don't matter.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Despite every liberal sensibility in my being looking for an angle of sympathy or anger at the lack of due process, I just can't cant summon it.

Textbook case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Oct 25, 2017
Despite every liberal sensibility in my being looking for an angle of sympathy or anger at the lack of due process, I just can't cant summon it.

Textbook case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

I empathize with this, in the individual case don't really give a shit about her wellbeing. Her child's sure.

Buuuuuut making someone stateless shouldn't be a thing, a nation shouldn't be able to exile someone with no place to go.

I'm curious as to what the public opinion will look like now Corbyn's said something. The twitter replies I saw were about as vitriolic as expected, but I hope people's view nationally is more nuanced.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Buuuuuut making someone stateless shouldn't be a thing, a nation shouldn't be able to exile someone with no place to go.

I'm curious as to what the public opinion will look like now Corbyn's said something. The twitter replies I saw were about as vitriolic as expected, but I hope people's view nationally is more nuanced.
Revoking citizenship and being made stateless without even a trial. That's a serious slippery slope, and I'm not convinced it's justified here either.

Where is Theresa May on this now? Has she weighed in?

2014: Home Secretary Theresa May has said that the UK will not remove citizenship from IS fighters born in the UK as "it is illegal for any country to make its citizens stateless". But the UK government does have the power to remove citizenship from people either naturalised in the UK or those with dual citizenship if it believes their activities to be "seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the UK". The law says that the Home Secretary should have a "reasonable belief" that those being stripped of their nationality will not become stateless.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Today she said the Manchester terrorist attack was retaliation, what the fuck. Fucking terrorist.

I've seen and heard people in the UK also say the same and use her line of reasoning.

Edit - To add more detail I remember studying for a medschool exam the next day. People in the library were saying it's fair retaliation moments after the news broke. It was disgusting to hear.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Corbyn will once again be labelled a terrorist sympathiser but his completly correct.

This county has already readmitted women from Syria. Ffs when British citizens were going to Libya to fight Gaddafi once again they all came back no problem so spare me 'this young girl is too much of a risk for society' nonsense.

Bring her and the baby home

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Seen a lot of islamaphobic tweets and "jokes" on twitter as a result of all this.

Only guaranteed outcome of it all, given the media coverage, is a rise in islamaphobia- should she return or not.

In my opinion - she was radicalized in the UK, as a UK citizen. She is our problem and we can't strip her of her nationality and just expect Bangladesh to accept her.

Now the question of whether the UK should take active steps to bring her back, given her attitude to it all is another debate. If she was to be deported back to the UK, we shouldn't block entry. As Corbyn said - she need to answer for a lot. She is our mess to fix.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One theory I do subscribe to, is that they would never do this to a white christian terrorist or mass killer.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
One theory I do subscribe to, is that they would never do this to a white christian terrorist or mass killer.

We shall see.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news...ck-pleads-to-be-allowed-back-to-uk-from-syria

A second Briton who left to go to Syria has said he wants to return to the UK. Jack Letts, who is suspected of joining Islamic State, said he missed Britain, but doubted he would ever be allowed to return.

Letts, 23, who was dubbed "Jihadi Jack" by British media and holds dual nationality through his Canadian father, told ITV News he did not believe either nation would help him because "no one really cares".

He travelled to Syria in 2014 and is now being held in a Kurdish prison. His case follows that of Shamima Begum, who left for Syria to join Isis in 2015. Earlier this week, the home secretary, Sajid Javid, ordered that her citizenship be revoked after she said she wanted to return to the UK.

On Friday, Letts told ITV News: "I miss people mostly, I miss my mum. Five years I haven't seen my mum, two years I haven't spoken to my mum. I miss pasties. And Doctor Who.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should be prosecuted in their respective countries of citizenship - I understand the mentality about wanting to leave them behind, but I think doing so could cause more harm as they could end up returning to those same terrorist groups. Also, criminals who have committed similar acts of terrorism domestically (such as mass shootings) always had the privilege to be prosecuted in their own countries, and these should be no different. But it's a difficult discussion nonetheless.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If someone came to Britian, supported some kind of terrorist group or activity there, wouldn't they be tried and sentenced in Britian? If she traveled to Syria and apparently supported a terrorist organization that took so many lives, why is she not being tried and sentenced there first?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lol fuck her, fuck isis, if they leave her there good, if they bring her back jail her for life, maybe execution like isis handed out and she was proud to be a part of.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Salman Abedi was brought back into the country after going to fight for ISIS, then he went on years later to carry out the Manchester attack.

Males pose a much higher risk of terrorism than females, but that's not to say just because you're female you cannot radicalise or even carry out an attack.

But in terms of optics in this topic of course the majority would be saying something different if it was the terrorist above. Whether that is a flawed way to look at this is debatable.

Also "just deradicalise someone" is a challenge

https://news.sky.com/story/warning-as-hundreds-of-jailed-terrorists-back-on-uk-streets-10639848

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/09/terrorism-do-deradicalisation-camps-work

Especially as prison tends to be a place of radicalisation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32194671

Last edited:

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is bonkers.

If you leave your country to join a fucking terrorist organization, that has recently killed many of your compatriots on home soil, then you should lose citizenship. God this site sometimes...

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is bonkers.

If you leave your country to join a fucking terrorist organization, that has recently killed many of your compatriots on home soil, then you should lose citizenship. God this site sometimes...

I feel the same way too.
They joined the enemy, expressed no regrets and wants to come back? Gtfo.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Allah's will has brought them to this situation so let us see if his same will shall bring them from it.

giphy.gif

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This thread is bonkers.

How many IRA members had their citizenship revoked to render them stateless, and without trial?

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is bonkers.

So many reasons you're wrong. It's against her human rights. She should be prosecuted. Her baby did nothing wrong and is now dead because she was in a refugee camp. Blah blah taking responsibility etc.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So many reasons you're wrong. It's against her human rights. She should be prosecuted. Her baby did nothing wrong and is now dead because she was in a refugee camp. Blah blah taking responsibility etc.
She was in a refugee camp because she joined ISIS. I agree she has rights and should be given a proper trial, but I don't think the UK should be responsible for bringing her back.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was in a refugee camp because she joined ISIS. I agree she has rights and should be given a proper trial, but I don't think the UK should be responsible for bringing her back.

Exactly. If she wants to come back, she should be financially responsible and at her own risk. Handcuffs waiting at Heathrow obviously.

Fuck I'm so angry - 3x child neglect should be added onto the terrorism charges.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

100% agreed.

Nov 1, 2017
All governments should enact a law that joining any organization that's been labelled a terrorist organization is treason and punishable by life in prison.

Then bring them back.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I am no fan of hers at all, but it's shocking to me to see the people rabidly seeking her citizenship be revoked to render her stateless without a trial. Until some amendment to the UK law in 2014 that was illegal, they could only revoke citizenship if it wouldn't render the person stateless. Now they can say, "National security!", without presenting any evidence or having a trial, and the person is out. Can people not see the scary slippery slope there?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And the baby is dead because of the British government pandering to those kind of takes too

This whole story is depressing, a new low in a few years of lows for the UK

The baby is dead because of her no one else.

It's a sad story but she didn't even show any kind of remorse for her actions.

I wish there was some way we could of just taken the baby but the fault lies with her and no one else.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
The baby is dead because of her no one else.

It's a sad story but she didn't even show any kind of remorse for her actions.

I wish there was some way we could of just taken the baby but the fault lies with her and no one else.

No sorry. The British government chose not to follow international law (or their own moral responsibilities) and repatriate her and the baby, they chose not to.