• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the baby born in Syria? The mum was British obviously, but Britain had no responsibility for that baby. Like, the UK should and probably would've taken the baby from her and set it up with a new family eventually, but it's hard to do when they were in Syria. And the citizenship thing going differently probably wouldn't have got her and the baby back to the UK much quicker, baby still would've died.

Shamima Begum is British.

Her children were British.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
The UK government, or any other government, should never have the power to a strip a citizen of their citizenship. They absoutely cannot be trusted with this power and there is no-one to hold them accountable, bar the usual right-wing tabloids.

The government's response to this particular situation was shameful and they've been a mess for sometime on this particular issue.

If you consider these people to be a threat let them back and give them a trial, like anyone else.

Rules can be established for this, you know, like abandoning your country to join a terrorist organization bent on killing and destroying your country.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
She can return, she'll just have to go to prison. Or are you against that as well? What other excuse will you use to defend her?

Should have taken the time to read instead of lashing out:

Our citizen means she's our responsibility, no matter what. Bring her home and charge her if the evidence is so overwhelming.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/br...rn-home-to-the-uk.99704/page-21#post-18675195

The very post you quoted was me refuting your claim that posters are calling for her to be "welcomed back with open arms".

Oct 25, 2017
Stop saying she'll have to go to prison. That's not how it works. There is no guarantee if she returned she would face a trial let alone prison.
Part of me thinks the reason they didn't want her to return was exactly that. The British public baying for blood would want her in prison yet you need charges that warrent that and I'm not convinced the home office believed they had enough to get her sent down and didn't want to risk the public backlash to that.
From the sound of it she was a witness and maybe complicit in atrocities but didnt commit them herself.
Adding the fact she was 15 when she joined ISIS and I really doubt she would get a lot of prison time.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
From the sound of it she was a witness and maybe complicit in atrocities but didnt commit them herself.
Adding the fact she was 15 when she joined ISIS and I really doubt she would get a lot of prison time.
Exactly. Good luck convicting her for any atrocities, even if she committed those she wont go to jail for them unless she's stupid enough to admit to them, you'll never be able to get proof for those atrocities meaning you can't convict her on those. The only conviction you can realistically expect is a conviction for joining a terrorist organization, and since she did so at the age of 15 she'd be out in no time.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rules can be established for this, you know, like abandoning your country to join a terrorist organization bent on killing and destroying your country.

As has been said multiple times this girl isn't the first. Can we please stop painting a picture of a young girl being the world's worst terrorist when the UK has already dealt with returnees and guess what they are not all in prison.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...hreat-prosecute-nationality-a8790991.html?amp

Speaking to journalists on Tuesday, Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick admitted that security services do not know how many of Isis's surviving British recruits intend to return.
Ms Dick said evidence of a criminal or terrorist offence was needed to prosecute, adding: "The very fact of going is not an offence.
"Some people returned from that area in the early days who had almost certainly done nothing other than humanitarian aid work. We talked to them and assessed their risk ... Many people have come back and just gone on with peaceful lives."
Speaking in parliament on Wednesday, home secretary Sajid Javid said all Isis fighters who re-entered the UK had been investigated and "the majority have been assessed to pose no or a low security risk".

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Good luck convicting her for any atrocities, even if she committed those she wont go to jail for them unless she's stupid enough to admit to them, you'll never be able to get proof for those atrocities meaning you can't convict her on those. The only conviction you can realistically expect is a conviction for joining a terrorist organization, and since she did so at the age of 15 she'd be out in no time.
You say that like some prison time wouldn't be a net positive here. If they can convict her, put her away for however long they are able. Otherwise, rehabilitate her if possible

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You say that like some prison time wouldn't be a net positive here. If they can convict her, put her away for however long they are able. Otherwise, rehabilitate her if possible
Prison time followed by her being able to walk the streets of the UK freely while still believing in everything ISIS stands for. Sounds like a huge net negative to me.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
My understanding is that in all of those cases the citizens had dual-citizenship, so technically they weren't stateless just had UK citizenship removed.

In this case she may be entitled to dual citizenship (though Bangladesh say no, and being eligible does not equal having it)

Happy to read more on this though.

Again, that's not the way the law works. You can't lock someone up without due process.

And please, 'warn me'? Please point out where I used a personal insult.

I never said that. I said it's pointless having a trial. Your the one wants to put her on trial and lock her up. I think that would be a waste of the UK's taxpayers money.

As for the insults your attempt to patronise me in your first post and this in your last one -

"Thank god you're not in a position of power because this is black and white nonsense."

If you ain't mature enough to discuss this without insulting me then maybe you should stop posting.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Ms Dick said evidence of a criminal or terrorist offence was needed to prosecute, adding: "The very fact of going is not an offence.

"Some people returned from that area in the early days who had almost certainly done nothing other than humanitarian aid work. We talked to them and assessed their risk ... Many people have come back and just gone on with peaceful lives."
There you have it. If just being there isn't an offense, then how can they justify rendering someone stateless with no trial, and no need to present evidence? Since the 2014 amendment, all they need do for anyone they don't like for any reason is say, "National security", present no evidence, no trial, and you're screwed. Whatever you think of the young woman, nobody should want the Govt to have that much unchecked power.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
If you join a terrorist organisation, that's aim is ultimately the destruction of your own, I think the government has every right to make this as difficult as possible, even to go as far as to strip of your citizenship.

However in the UK, we believe people under a certain age cannot be held to the same way an adult is. She was and probably is still, heavily influenced by those that sort to abuse her, to coerce her into joining a cause she had little real understand of. So how can we hold her to the same account as an adult, when we make allowances for crimes, based on age and other circumstances already?

To her, I think we should bring her back. Her citizenship should be restored, but she should be forced to undertake psychiatric care and as our laws say it, be released only at her majesties pleasure. For those unaware, a plea of mental health being accepted, could mean you stay in an asylum for the rest of your life, only if your doctors say you are ready, you can be released.

As to the baby. This is tragic. The loss of a child is awful, but if the child had lived, I think the child at the very least, should have been given citizenship.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
However in the UK, we believe people under a certain age cannot be held to the same way an adult is. She was and probably is still, heavily influenced by those that sort to abuse her, to coerce her into joining a cause she had little real understand of. So how can we hold her to the same account as an adult, when we make allowances for crimes, based on age and other circumstances already?

"When interviewed, Begum revealed that she was nine-months pregnant and hoped to return to the UK to raise her child, but did not regret her decision to join ISIL. She said she had been unfazed by seeing the head of a beheaded man as he was "an enemy of Islam", but believes that ISIL did not deserve victory because of their corruption and oppression.

Begum was interviewed by BBC correspondent Quentin Sommerville on 18 February. During the interview, Begum asked for forgiveness and claimed that she still supports "some British values". She said she was inspired to join ISIL by videos of fighters beheading hostages and also of "the good life" under the group. However, Somerville noted that she continues to espouse the ISIL ideology and justify its atrocities. When asked about the Manchester Arena bombing, she claimed it was wrong to kill innocent people, but that ISIL deemed it justified as retaliation for the coalition bombing of ISIL-held areas. When questioned about the rape, enslavement and murder of Yazidi women she claimed: "Shia do the same in Iraq"."

Granted, this is from a Wikipedia article, but if everything above is true...she shouldn't be roaming the streets of UK. She's an adult now too, so....

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
"When interviewed, Begum revealed that she was nine-months pregnant and hoped to return to the UK to raise her child, but did not regret her decision to join ISIL. She said she had been unfazed by seeing the head of a beheaded man as he was "an enemy of Islam", but believes that ISIL did not deserve victory because of their corruption and oppression.

Begum was interviewed by BBC correspondent Quentin Sommerville on 18 February. During the interview, Begum asked for forgiveness and claimed that she still supports "some British values". She said she was inspired to join ISIL by videos of fighters beheading hostages and also of "the good life" under the group. However, Somerville noted that she continues to espouse the ISIL ideology and justify its atrocities. When asked about the Manchester Arena bombing, she claimed it was wrong to kill innocent people, but that ISIL deemed it justified as retaliation for the coalition bombing of ISIL-held areas. When questioned about the rape, enslavement and murder of Yazidi women she claimed: "Shia do the same in Iraq"."

Granted, this is from a Wikipedia article, but if everything above is true...she shouldn't be roaming the streets of UK. She's an adult now too, so....

For what reason? It sounds like her world view is fucked, for years of manipulation and abuse. The law makes allowances for exactly these situations.

There are people in the UK currently that have far more vial opinions then that.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For what reason? It sounds like her world view is fucked, for years of manipulation and abuse. The law makes allowances for exactly these situations.

There are people in the UK currently that have far more vial opinions then that.

You have to be joking if you can't still how she may be a threat. She is and was unfazed by the beheadings to the point it was a huge factor she joined them. She still feels ISIL were right and we have nothing but her word that she never took part in any of it herself. Since she already left to join them there's an established possibility for her to act on any urges. She basically defended the Manchester bombing with a 'but'.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
What happened to her is textbook grooming. She was coerced into leaving home and traveling to Syria at 15 so that adult men could repeatedly rape and impregnate her.

The concept of grooming implies active participation by a manipulating party. She was no more groomed than alt-right white supremacist teen shitheels are by choosing to spend their time on /pol and Stormfront. Frankly I find the "grooming" narrative to be a little problematic; the idea that because she's a young Muslim woman then she must have been particularly vulnerable and was therefore "groomed" (language typically applied to the Muslim community), and not accountable for her decisions.

Which isn't to say she isn't Britain's problem to deal with, but she is entirely responsible for her own actions.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The concept of grooming implies active participation by a manipulating party. She was no more groomed than alt-right white supremacist teen shitheels are by choosing to spend their time on /pol and Stormfront. Frankly I find the "grooming" narrative to be a little problematic; the idea that because she's a young Muslim woman then she must have been particularly vulnerable and was therefore "groomed" (language typically applied to the Muslim community), and not accountable for her decisions.

Which isn't to say she isn't Britain's problem to deal with, but she is entirely responsible for her own actions.
If those 'alt-right shitheels' are as young as she was then yes they are also being groomed. However, since there is a sexual exploitation element to her case, it's a much more serious and insidious form of grooming than just being indoctrinated into a hate group or a violent gang. It has nothing to do with her specifically being Muslim or being female, and everything to do with her young age and the sexual exploitation, that's what makes what happened to her in particular so heinous. Her being 15 DOES make her more vulnerable, and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that; rather, there is something wrong with ignoring that fact when examining her case. Also wtf is this bullshit about the term 'grooming' being used to refer more to Muslims, that's not true at all. It's used to refer to when minors are exploited. It's being applied to her because she was 15.

If a 15 year old white girl was convinced by white supremacists online to come to their compound in another state, and then was repeatedly raped and impregnated there, you would not see the level of vitriol and lack of empathy that this girl is getting, despite that circumstance being virtually identical to this one. People refuse to see her as a victim because of her race and religion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30395

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I never said that. I said it's pointless having a trial. Your the one wants to put her on trial and lock her up. I think that would be a waste of the UK's taxpayers money.

As for the insults your attempt to patronise me in your first post and this in your last one -

"Thank god you're not in a position of power because this is black and white nonsense."

If you ain't mature enough to discuss this without insulting me then maybe you should stop posting.

That's not an insult (and certainly not a personal insult) that's me saying you are making this a binary right and wrong, black and white issue, when if you stop to think about it, it's clearly is just one huge grey mess.

...And it's not a waste of UK tax payers money. How can the right to a fair trial by a jury of your peers (a fundamental human right), and the resulting punishment/sentence ever be considered a waste of money?

The government waste enough of that with things like Brexit anyway, so I don't think the detainment and rehabilitation of one person is going to make that much difference to the country.

How old are you out of curiosity? 16-25? Over 25? Over 35?

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
That's not an insult (and certainly not a personal insult) that's me saying you are making this a binary right and wrong, black and white issue, when if you stop to think about it, it's clearly is just one huge grey mess.

...And it's not a waste of UK tax payers money. How can the right to a fair trial by a jury of your peers (a fundamental human right), and the resulting punishment/sentence ever be considered a waste of money?

The government waste enough of that with things like Brexit anyway, so I don't think the detainment and rehabilitation of one person is going to make that much difference to the country.

How old are you out of curiosity? 16-25? Over 25? Over 35?

Don't tell me what I find insulting buddy.

It is a waste of the taxpayer's money. They're gonna have to pay for this woman's defence. They're gonna have to pay for her imprisonment and they're gonna have to pay for her lifetime on social security. It's not only a waste of the taxpayer's money. It's a disgrace to ask the British people to support this woman for the rest of her life. She made her choice.

I ain't interested in your whataboutisms and it's none of your business how old I am.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is a waste of the taxpayer's money. They're gonna have to pay for this woman's defence. They're gonna have to pay for her imprisonment and they're gonna have to pay for her lifetime on social security. It's not only a waste of the taxpayer's money. It's a disgrace to ask the British people to support this woman for the rest of her life. She made her choice.

I ain't interested in your whataboutisms and it's none of your business how old I am.
Yeah, that's what happens when you fail your citizens, especially minors. The idea that you think a 15 year old sex slave 'made her choices' displays a disgusting lack of empathy.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
That she is a victim of brainwashing and the ISIS can just be rehabilitated out of her is comically naïve.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

So you're cool with the govt deciding about anyone, "No evidence needed, no trial needed, you're stateless because we said so." That's the slope you're standing on.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That she is a victim of brainwashing and the ISIS can just be rehabilitated out of her is comically naïve.
No it isn't, there is plenty of empirical evidence that people can be deradicalized, the British government has had success doing so with people who've done far worse than her. The fact that she was abused and exploited is not up for debate either.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Look, revoking her membership was a stupid idea based on gut instinct (hell, it was mine) but can we please stop this "groomed" narrative? It doesn't mean someone who falls for dumb bullshit online. She wasn't "groomed" anymore than most of the alt-right was "groomed"

Her falling for dumb bullshit in this case just happens to have higher stakes than becoming an online shitlord.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, revoking her membership was a stupid idea based on gut instinct (hell, it was mine) but can we please stop this "groomed" narrative? It doesn't mean someone who falls for dumb bullshit online. She wasn't "groomed" anymore than most of the alt-right was "groomed"

Her falling for dumb bullshit in this case just happens to have higher stakes than becoming an online shitlord.
She was groomed, she was convinced to leave her home country as a teenager for the sole purpose of being sexually exploited.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She made her choice but she is our problem. She always was. As a country we should have done more to prevent the radicalisation of children and it's our responsibility to bring her in, let our justice system figure out a suitable punishment and go from there. By not bringing her back, we're just failing her again.

The cost of it is irrelevant.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

Again: Who decides when no trial is needed? Who is to be trusted in a case like this? Who should supercede due process and just overrule the law in this case?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Sympathising with a person who was groomed, lured to a warzone, and then married to someone when she was 15, yes

Not sure why me being from Manchester should change that, but ok

Thing is, she was brainwashed not groomed. There's no guarantee that coding isn't still in her head and if she comes back and goes to jail she can try and convert people there. There really isn't any safe way of keeping her arrested for the crimes she's commited other than house arrest forever, but even then you can't be sure what she might do.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She's your country responsibility. You don't get to dump your criminals wherever the fuck you want. She's a UK citizen and should be able to return to the UK, and then rightfully be arrested. The only disgrace here is thinking the UK can dump their garbage wherever they want.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She is evil. You cannot heal a rotten soul. And honestly she isn't worth the effort or resources.
Medical science, psychology, and sociological studies all disagree with you, but I'm sure you are able to judge the 'soul' of someone you've never met. Do you know what its like to be groomed and coerced into something horrible that young, to be repeatedly abused over years like that?
Thing is, she was brainwashed not groomed. There's no guarantee that coding isn't still in her head and if she comes back and goes to jail she can try and convert people there. There really isn't any safe way of keeping her arrested for the crimes she's commited other than house arrest forever, but even then you can't be sure what she might do.
She was absolutely groomed, she was coerced into a terrorist group as a teenager so they could abuse her, what the hell do you think grooming is if what happened to her doesn't qualify?

Also the 'we can't be sure what she might do' could apply to anyone. Why try to rehabilitate or ever let anyone out of prison by that standard? It's an impossible standard, especially for someone in her situation. It's inhumane and flies in the face of what we know about deradicalization and rehabilitation based on years of study and practice.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, comically naïve.

Exactly. She will 100 percent end up raising her own home grown terrorists if she is given freedom.

Medical science, psychology, and sociological studies all disagree with you, but I'm sure you are able to judge the 'soul' of someone you've never met. Do you know what its like to be groomed and coerced into something horrible that young, to be repeatedly abused over years like that?

She was absolutely groomed, she was coerced into a terrorist group as a teenager so they could abuse her, what the hell do you think grooming is if what happened to her doesn't qualify?

Also the 'we can't be sure what she might do' could apply to anyone. Why try to rehabilitate or ever let anyone out of prison by that standard? It's an impossible standard, especially for someone in her situation. It's inhumane and flies in the face of what we know about deradicalization and rehabilitation based on years of study and practice.

For an analogy lots of pedophiles were groomed and abused as children. I don't see how this is why different. You are what you are. It doesn't matter how you got there.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. She will 100 percent end up raising her own home grown terrorists if she is given freedom.

Then don't give her freedom. She can rot in a cell for the rest of her life for what she did, but she should still be brought back here, tried and sentenced according to British law.

We know she doesn't regret what she did and she likely never will. We can't "save" her but we can sure as hell take care of her ourselves.

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Nice rebuttal.

Then don't give her freedom. She can rot in a cell for the rest of her life for what she did, but she should still be brought back here, tried and sentenced according to British law.

We know she doesn't regret what she did and she likely never will. We can't "save" her but we can sure as hell take care of her ourselves.

That's what I said. Let her in and lock her away. If she wants stay out of prison stay where she is.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Why are you so against due process?

What's the threshold of vileness for people to not be worth a trial, defence counsel, cost of prison, etc and banished to the phantom zone? Murder? Rape? Assault and battery? Tax evasion?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what else to say to you without getting extremely heated because what you've been saying this thread is incredibly offensive. You clearly have no idea what it's like to be abused, what that does to your psyche and how damaging that it can be. Your 'solution' of declaring people as having evil souls and labeling them a lost cause because they've been abused as children is absolutely disgusting. Your mindset perpetuates the suffering of millions of people. Decades of mental health research and therapy contradict you, but in your arrogance you think you know better. It's incredibly ignorant.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what else to say to you without getting extremely heated because what you've been saying this thread is incredibly offensive. You clearly have no idea what it's like to be abused, what that does to your psyche and how damaging that it can be. Your 'solution' of declaring people as having evil souls and labeling them a lost cause because they've been abused as children is absolutely disgusting. Your mindset perpetuates the suffering of millions of people. Decades of mental health research and therapy contradict you, but in your arrogance you think you know better. It's incredibly ignorant.

I never said that. All people that are abused don't become abusers or a lost csuse. I'm saying once you become an adult you are responsible for your actions regardless of your past. The safety and security of the country outweighs some misguided desire to save one individual.This woman clearly has no remorse and her views have not changed. I don't think she can be rehabilitated.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said that. All people that are abused don't become abusers of a lost csuse. I'm saying once you become an adult you are respond for your actions regardless of your past. This woman clearly has no remorse and her views have not changed. I don't think she can be rehabilitated.
And you are wrong. The brain isn't fully developed until around 25 years of age, and even then the brain still changes over time and is malleable, just not as rapidly as it does in youth. People often age out of mental illnesses and disorders, and therapy and medication can do a ton to help people who have suffered from abuse and have disorders due to that abuse, even in adulthood. Hence why I'm saying you don't know what you are talking about, your assertion that she is beyond help is informed by nothing but your own arrogance.

You also asserted that the abuse someone has suffered is 'what they are' and that it is impossible to heal those wounds. You can't see how that's an incredibly offensive thing to say?

Oct 25, 2017
And you are wrong. The brain isn't fully developed until around 25 years of age, and even then the brain still changes over time and is malleable, just not as rapidly as it does in youth. People often age out of mental illnesses and disorders, and therapy and medication can do a ton to help people who have suffered from abuse and have disorders due to that abuse, even in adulthood. Hence why I'm saying you don't know what you are talking about, your assertion that she is beyond help is informed by nothing but your own arrogance.

You also asserted that the abuse someone has suffered is 'what they are' and that it is impossible to heal those wounds. You can't see how that's an incredibly offensive thing to say?

Why do you keep misquoting me? Either you have poor reading comprehension skills or are being really disingenuous.