• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

Chipmaker Broadcom has made an unsolicited bid to buy rival Qualcomm for $130 billion. If the deal is accepted it will be the biggest ever takeover in the technology sector, following a run of billion-dollar consolidation deals in the semiconductor industry.

Broadcom president and CEO Hock Tan said the bid is "compelling for stockholders and stakeholders in both companies," with the combined company able to operate at a larger scale across more product ranges. "We would not make this offer if we were not confident that our common global customers would embrace the proposed combination," said Tan in a press statement. Broadcom is offering a combination cash-and-stock deal of $70 per share for Qualcomm, representing a 28 percent premium over the closing price of Qualcomm's stock on November 2nd.

If Tan can convince Qualcomm's board of the deal's merits, the new firm would become the world's third-largest chipmaker, behind Intel and Samsung. The bid has been carefully timed. Broadcom's shares have risen 60 percent over the past year, while Qualcomm's have faltered as the company's revenues are threatened by a legal battle with Apple over alleged anti-competitive behavior. As of last Friday, Qualcomm's market capitalization was $91 billion while Broadcom's stood at $112 billion. The share price of both firms rose last week as rumors of the bid spread.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing this rumour didn't realise broadcom was so big.

What are the chances of this going through?

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this allowed? Like on the mobile market this would mean a huge monopoly position for SOCs.
How so? Broadcom doesn't currently make mobile SoCs, this doesn't really change anything in that space.

(I was laid off when they killed the mobile SoC department they bought from Renesas [who bought it from Nokia] a few years back)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this as being a good idea. A monopoly like this will without a doubt only allow Broadcom to jack prices up.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How so? Broadcom doesn't currently make mobile SoCs, this doesn't change anything in that space.

(I was laid off when they killed the mobile SoC department they bought from Renesas [who bought it from Nokia] a few years back)
Broadcom holds quite a few patents on SoCs and would become the defacto biggest chip designer on the mobile market outside of Samsung. And I don't think Samsung will sell their highest end stuff to third parties for a price that would put their own phones at a disadvantage.

Basically it means that, unless you wish to go Mediatek, you have to get EVERYTHING from one company. It would be so easy to force people with contracts to buy other things too, with discounts :(. It just is something that I preferred to stay separate.

Oh well, I already feel all of them are too big for comfort, and will never be able to fail without crashing the economy for everybody. Heck the only way to safely fail is to be bought out! and then the risks get even higher.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
well they need to be able to pay the money don't they?

I haven't checked the deals yet, but they're usually a mix of cash and stock, with a significant amount of cash coming from debt.

Edit: Just checked, $25b is coming from debt. The rest might be their own cash but also a significant amount of stock, which is something they'd do if they're trading at a higher multiple than Qualcomm so as to not dilute their own earnings. Checked again and $10 of equity offer is in stock, so w/ 1.5b shares outstanding, that's another $15b cash. Looks like that would leave $60b in cash that they're fronting if my math is right.

Edit2: Balance sheet from last year looked to only have $3b in cash, with not much more in AR/Inv, so idk where rest is coming from. Might have been reported wrong or might have missed some debt/stock.

Last edited:

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Apple could afford two Qualcomm's with straight up cash of its own.

Incredible how much people are worth these days.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo...is the positive or negative news

Short term negative for consumers, employees, etc as less competition is always a bad thing and usually mergers will involve cost cutting aka layoffs. Long, long term tends to be positive as people get tired of working for big(ger) companies and take the money they made from the buyout/etc and go start smaller startups that are much more nimble and look at areas that big companies are blind to.

Most of us are really just not going to be affected really.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
well they need to be able to pay the money don't they?

No, not in the way you are thinking of it. Its not like a transaction at the store where an item cost $10 so you give the clerk $10 and walk away. Its more like a property sale between people who are about to get married, where you cash in a few assets, take out a loan and put a little bit of your saving forward. Add to that stocks, which is basically just paper money being thrown around in this case. Once the whole transactions done, your money is still all within the family. Woodland did a better job explaining:

I haven't checked the deals yet, but they're usually a mix of cash and stock, with a significant amount of cash coming from debt.

Edit: Just checked, $25b is coming from debt. The rest might be their own cash but also a significant amount of stock, which is something they'd do if they're trading at a higher multiple than Qualcomm so as to not dilute their own earnings. Checked again and $10 of equity offer is in stock, so w/ 1.5b shares outstanding, that's another $15b cash. Looks like that would leave $60b in cash that they're fronting if my math is right.

Edit2: Balance sheet from last year looked to only have $3b in cash, with not much more in AR/Inv, so idk where rest is coming from. Might have been reported wrong or might have missed some debt/stock.

Well when Avago bought Broadcom like 2 years ago, Citibank and Bank of American were the ones who financed a large portion of the actual cash transaction.

Company buyouts are just a bunch of fuzzy math. Company A puts forward X amount of Dollars to buy Company B, who, once complete, is now owned by Company A, assets and all (thus where it all gets fuzzy, its like giving your GF $100k than marrying her and mixing your finances together, suddenly that 100k is back with you)

Last edited: