• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Last time I went to the theater to watch a movie was Star Wars Episode VIII and that was because I got free tickets from a vendor who was associated with my company I work for.

Prior to that it was Jurassic World 2

I prefer watching movies at home and this year I've watched so far...

-Alice in Wonderland (2010)
-Alice Looking into the Glass
-Aladdin (2019)

If you include anime movies then

-Detective Conan Movie 7: Crossroad in the Ancient Capital
-Dragon Ball Z Movie 11: Bio-Broly
-Dragon Ball Z Movie 12: Fusion Reborn
-Dragon Ball Z Movie 13: Wrath of the Dragon

Next movie I am watching is The Lion King (2019) which will be available on Disney+ sometime this/next week.

Nov 5, 2017
has anyone ever taken part in a film club/group? You know, meet up, discuss afterwards, etc. I watch a lot of indie/foreign/festival stuff (just saw Color Out Of Space actually) but my family and friends group aren't exactly the types where I can have a deep discussion on the mythological symbolism of The Lighthouse
This is something I've been meaning to do. I'm part of an FB group, but we barely meet up. There's always Letterboxd, I guess.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
has anyone ever taken part in a film club/group? You know, meet up, discuss afterwards, etc.
Used to meet up most weeks for about 2-3 years with some movie-watching friends. Unfortunately, my longtime boyfriend broke up with me last week, necessitating a move across town, so they're now all too far away for me to see anymore. Fuck

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I tend to see a okay amount, but there are two things I ended up doing to broaden my horizons since 2017.

First, I have been looking into foreign/indie animated films more, mostly thanks to following GKIDS really. I now try to see at least a few a year, and even have gone to an animation film festival a couple times. I already started this year off with Weathering With You actually.

Second is exploring the Horror genre more via 31 Days of Horror here. I don't plan on getting even close to seeing 31 films in October, but I been really enjoying this event, especially last year when I explored most of the Nightmare on Elm Street series as a mini theme.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I watch more than 5 movies each year.

Though when it comes to theaters, I probably only watch like 2-4. And it's only getting worse starting from this year since I have a baby now.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already watch way more than that.

top ten best movies I saw in 2019:

10. Ready or Not
9. Knives Out
8. One Cut of the Dead
7. Fast Color
6. Shazam
5. The Report
4. The Nightengale
3. Joker
2. Honey Boy
1. The Lighthouse

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I decided to watch two movies per month this year and right now I am still sitting at zero movies. But at least yday I tried to watch Bacurau in a local theater, couldnt because it was already full... I already have a list of stuff I want to watch, mostly "great movies", not just big name IPs.

I need to check if they are showing Parasita around here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I had been discussing the current Oscar nominees with coworkers yesterday and none of them had heard of any of the nominees except for Joker and The Irishman and of those two they had only seen Joker. They had only heard of The Irishman because Scorsese had been "jealous of Marvel's success" in their words. When I tried to describe some of the other nominees, they seemed confused as to how those would be Oscar nominees. "A movie about divorce seems boring and sad", "A Korean movie? Like with subtitles? Why would I watch that?".
Oscars got way too mainstream for what they're actually about. Like it's crazy how many people seemingly care about the Oscars but don't care about any of the movies there.

And I don't hold it against the audience, it just a really odd disconnect.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Already watch way more than that.

top ten best movies I saw in 2019:

10. Ready or Not
9. Knives Out
8. One Cut of the Dead
7. Fast Color
6. Shazam
5. The Report
4. The Nightengale
3. Joker
2. Honey Boy
1. The Lighthouse
You are a person of refined taste

Top ten for me was Parasite, 1917, The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, John Wick 3, Climax, Nightingale, Knives Out, Aniara, Crawl

Although my full best of 2019 is around 30 movies. A lot of great stuff came out last year. Sure, a lot of great stuff comes out every year but damn, the decade went out with a bang

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lucky to live in a city where most everything is available no matter how obscure. feel that's a major problem for many is accessibility

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In just the theater alone, last year I saw over 30 movies. Thanks to A-LIST. At home? Probably 20.

My horizons have been broadening like my shoulders.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
List of movies I saw in a theater last year:

Captain Marvel (twice)
Avengers: Endgame (three times)
Detective Pikachu
Booksmart
Toy Story 4
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Hobbs & Shaw
Frozen 2 (twice)
Knives Out
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (twice...albeit not willingly)

I do live next door to a movie theater now so I'd like to see more things, but it's a matter of having someone to go with.

you should try going to the movies solo. It's great.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You are a person of refined taste

Top ten for me was Parasite, 1917, The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, John Wick 3, Climax, Nightingale, Knives Out, Aniara, Crawl

Although my full best of 2019 is around 30 movies. A lot of great stuff came out last year. Sure, a lot of great stuff comes out every year but damn, the decade went out with a bang

How scary is climax. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to jump scares

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
I don't even like movies very much, and definitely not a film snob, but this is such a sad list. One for sure good movie(knives out), one that I haven't seen and is supposed to be good I think (Booksmart), and a bunch of trash. Oh and Pikachu which was so so. I can't imagine watchingCaptain marvel or endgame more than once, and frozen I couldn't even get through I fell asleep like 30 minutes in.
I watch or reading things based on how well they can intergrate fast food advertisement. Bonus points for doing that without me noticing.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Very lucky to live in So California and have access to every type of theater, every type of film. I am not someone who likes to analyze or critique films per se.. I know what I like and what I think is " good" , but the amount of learning that comes with seeing all different types of films from all over the world is priceless for me. I can't imagine only ever saying " I just need marvel and Star Wars". It would break my brain

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched nine movies so far this year including Parasite, Little Women, Two Popes 1917, and Lighthouse.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's barely 5 movies a year that are worth paying for a movie ticket to see lol

28420.jpg

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't watch anywhere near 5 movies a year. I just don't really have a desire to watch any these days, and most have been when I was at a friend or relatives house.

Since 2015 I've seen:
Star Wars The Force Awakens
The Mission (the 1999 HK film)
John Wick 2
Spy Game
Guardians of the Galaxy

So I'm averaging about one a year.

Nov 1, 2017
Imo this is because most people view movies as just entertainment, not as art to be appreciated on a deeper level. The amount of people who take film-making seriously as an artform to be appreciated is a niche portion of moviegoers, though I think its getting less and less niche. This is in part to art being a niche concern in general, but also for the fact that most mainstream blockbusters that people are exposed to are entertainment first, art second. And they are often just mediocre to bad, so if you dont look beyond the biggest movies playing at your local chain theater its understandable why you wouldnt want to see many. Case in point:
There's barely 5 movies a year that are worth paying for a movie ticket to see lol
Also, people are close minded, stubborn and willing to judge things on their popularity alone. Some people just aren't interested and that's fine, their loss.

Generalizations aside, I've only developed a passion for film some 5 years ago. But since then its opened my mind to a whole world of lifechanging pieces of art and storytelling that I didn't know I was missing. Images and emotions I would have never experienced. I don't think its that important to say watch MORE movies, but instead have a more open mind, look beyond the most hyped franchise movies and into the past and you'll find many masterpieces that move you in ways you didn't know a movie could.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I see like 75 movies in theaters a year and who knows how many at home. I very rarely watch shows though. My entertainment is pretty much games and movies.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My weird thing is that I ONLY see movies in the theater usually because my home setup is garbage (I don't have a TV, I only have a monitor I set several feet away from and a laptop). I watch maybe a handful of movies at home a year, and then rewatch some from earlier years. I still go to the theater a good amount, I apparently saw 30 2019 films (two of those twice). This is currently my ranking from best (top) to worst (bottom) of those:

Parasite
Hustlers
Avengers: Endgame
Jojo Rabbit
Good Boys
the Last Black Man in San Francisco
Joker
Weathering With You
Fyre Fraud
Knives Out
Ford vs. Ferrari
Spider-Man: Far From Home
The Lion King
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Glass
Detective Pikachu
Shazam
Little Women
Fyre
IT: Chapter 2
Happy Death Day 2 U
Captain Marvel
Dark Phoenix
Bombshell
Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
John Wick 3: Parabellum
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Uncut Gems
Us

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
My Letterboxd account says I've watched 24 films this year already and I've already seen Little Women, Uncut Gems, Bombshell, Weathering With You, and 1917 (twice!) in theaters this year.

I do get the frustration tho, anytime I bring up films offline with people they look at me like I'm insane for having watched a movie like Parasite or Little Women, or when I tell them I think most of the Disney blockbusters are mindless popcorn flicks that aren't very good outside of their eye candy value.

But I also get it. Most people don't watch as large a variety of films as I do, so I can't expect them to know that their Marvel movies are just doing things I've already seen in 300 other movies.

edit: oh were doing letterboxd accounts too? I'll drop mine, I need to get better at making and organizing lists.

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Been wanting to make this thread for awhile and yesterday gave me the drive to do it. Note that I don't mean just in the theater, I mean watch more films in general.

I had been discussing the current Oscar nominees with coworkers yesterday and none of them had heard of any of the nominees except for Joker and The Irishman and of those two they had only seen Joker. They had only heard of The Irishman because Scorsese had been "jealous of Marvel's success" in their words. When I tried to describe some of the other nominees, they seemed confused as to how those would be Oscar nominees. "A movie about divorce seems boring and sad", "A Korean movie? Like with subtitles? Why would I watch that?". At this point I am simultaneously frustrated and amazed. I opened up my Letterboxd app (like every pretentious and obnoxious cinephile) and found my list for 2019 and started reading names. Nothing really registered beyond Captain Marvel, Endgame, Spider-Man, Joker, Star Wars, and Detective Pikachu. The thing that blew me away was the sheer resistance and push back I got for suggesting other movies. "What the fuck is The Lighthouse? Why would I want to watch an Adam Sandler movie that isn't a comedy"

I think part of its those franchises are part of their personal status quo. They grew up on those IPs and have been conditioned to the major studio "event movie" marketing. Veering outside of that threatens that status quo.

I am probably preaching to the choir here on Resetera but I implore you all to expand your horizons. There isn't anything wrong with enjoying big studio tentpole films. I enjoy those. The issue is when THATS all you consume. There is so much more to film than just franchise films. I don't think its healthy to shut on yourself off from other experiences outside of DC, Marvel, Star Wars etc. It leads to tribalism and close-mindedness. Variety is also the spice of life. Pepper in some foreign and indie films into your diet. They might challenge the way you look at the world, they might scare you, they might even excite you.

Watch more movies and try new things. It'd do ya some good.

Agreed completely. Stupidest thing I see is people saying horror "isn't for them" or foreign films "are bad because they require reading for me"

If you have a streaming service (any one) you have basically unlimited options. If you have cable you have basically unlimited options. Tubi, Crackle, Vudu, PopcornFlix all have free legal films. PlutoTV has them free legally 24/7. If you have time, there's no excuse 🍵

If we're sharing Letterboxds, I update my forum one somewhat regularly (haven't updated since the 9th apparently but I'll catch up to speed with that in the morning) https://letterboxd.com/sweeneyswift/

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get to the theatre much except to watch films my kid can watch also but I watch a varied selection at home.

I'll be trawling this thread for ideas.

Oct 25, 2017
Gave everyone a follow (that I didn't already follow). Here's mine!
I watch a lot of horror, sci-fi, thrillers, whatever. My love for movies really clicked at the beginning of 2019 and I've been on a pretty sweet cinematic journey since then.

Top 10 from 2019 that will probably fluctuate while I ponder it more:
  1. The Lighthouse
  2. Midsommar
  3. Us
  4. Climax
  5. Bliss
  6. Parasite
  7. High Life
  8. One Cut of the Dead
  9. Daniel Isn't Real
  10. Ready or Not
Unfortunately, I hardly see any films in the theater. So while I watched around 330ish movies last year (that's probably around 300 full length and 30 shorts), I think just 3 or so were in the theater. Midsommar, Us, and Captain Marvel. I'm not actually sure I've ever gone to the movies solo, so I think imma bout to change that very soon. I also have a lot of highly rated 2019 films to watch yet, but probably won't get around to for a while (Little Women, Knives Out, etc).

Edit: Oh shit! It just occurred to me that I'm nearly at 2000 films total watched. What film should be my 2000th film?! Preferably something I have not seen before. I'm sure there's stuff I watched over the years that I haven't spotted yet on Letterboxd, but I'll treat this like it's my actual 2000th bahaha

Edit Edit: I'm at 46 movies so far this year, so averaging exactly 2 a day. Huh.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thanks all the streaming services I watch way too many movies I think. I forget how many I remembered to log on Letterboxd but i must have seen around 70 movies. I don't really care the cinema any longer. The one closest to doesn't show all of the best, smaller movies and people are always making noise and what not. I only head to the theater now if I really, really want to see something.

edit: wow long time since I typed on a tablet, the above sounds like I was high on something. I'll just leave it as is.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Went through the thread and followed everyone who posted their LB profile. Always looking for new recommendations, and y'all have some fine taste from what I've seen.

My profile: https://boxd.it/14yFv

Likewise, but I'm definitely enjoying playing around with it.

Followed!

I don't think I shared my profile yet

boxd.it

Otto’s profile

Otto uses Letterboxd to share film reviews and lists. 1,037 films watched. Favorites: The Insider (1999), The Shawshank Redemption (1994), Shoplifters (2018), The Handmaiden (2016). Bio: On a journey to expand my cinematic perspective.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
has anyone ever taken part in a film club/group? You know, meet up, discuss afterwards, etc. I watch a lot of indie/foreign/festival stuff (just saw Color Out Of Space actually) but my family and friends group aren't exactly the types where I can have a deep discussion on the mythological symbolism of The Lighthouse
My local cinema does no less than three "club" films per week:
Friday night - horror films. Sometimes one film, but more often than not, it's a double feature. They did a Triple feature in December (I got to pick one of the titles!) and they have another Triple feature coming up soon. People frequently discuss the films in between.
Wednesday night - usually something newer that didn't get a wider release. They encourage folks to stick around for a discussion afterwards.
Sunday afternoon - usually something classic, and, for the last year, it's almost always been a film in the Criterion Collection. This Sunday is Mulholland Drive, one of my favourite films (if not my top favourite film of all time).

I rarely make it to the Wednesday or Sunday movies (it's tough when you have a kid), but I'll go to the horror flicks any time I'm free.

Anyway, my letterboxd, for anyone who wants to follow:

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My local cinema does no less than three "club" films per week:
Friday night - horror films. Sometimes one film, but more often than not, it's a double feature. They did a Triple feature in December (I got to pick one of the titles!) and they have another Triple feature coming up soon. People frequently discuss the films in between.
Wednesday night - usually something newer that didn't get a wider release. They encourage folks to stick around for a discussion afterwards.
Sunday afternoon - usually something classic, and, for the last year, it's almost always been a film in the Criterion Collection. This Sunday is Mulholland Drive, one of my favourite films (if not my top favourite film of all time).

I rarely make it to the Wednesday or Sunday movies (it's tough when you have a kid), but I'll go to the horror flicks any time I'm free.

Anyway, my letterboxd, for anyone who wants to follow:

Followed you brother.. Yeah our local art cinema does like cult tuesdays or Cult Saturdays (Like late night showings). I might have to partake in that

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just movies, most people just don't look past the surface of games or music either. They just stick to what they know and to what's at the top of the list. This wont change, so why bother to try?

Know that there are millions of people out there (and on this very forum) who do dig a little deeper.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Followed you brother.. Yeah our local art cinema does like cult tuesdays or Cult Saturdays (Like late night showings). I might have to partake in that
Definitely check it out. In my case, I always casually "liked" horror, but going to this weekly thing has really got me to see stuff I never would have looked for on my own.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My Letterboxd account says I've watched 24 films this year already and I've already seen Little Women, Uncut Gems, Bombshell, Weathering With You, and 1917 (twice!) in theaters this year.

I do get the frustration tho, anytime I bring up films offline with people they look at me like I'm insane for having watched a movie like Parasite or Little Women, or when I tell them I think most of the Disney blockbusters are mindless popcorn flicks that aren't very good outside of their eye candy value.

But I also get it. Most people don't watch as large a variety of films as I do, so I can't expect them to know that their Marvel movies are just doing things I've already seen in 300 other movies.

edit: oh were doing letterboxd accounts too? I'll drop mine, I need to get better at making and organizing lists.

Followed you sir!.

Question for those that make lists on LB. For a movie like 'Her' If you are making a list for Annapurna, do you include it with Booksmart, even if they didn't distribute it, they just produced it?