• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Or like rateyourmusic for movies. Its an incredible site and one of the best ways to find new films to watch. One of those sites where the average rating for a film actually can be a very reliable indicator of its quality.

Or Goodreads for books, but yeah, its a great resource, especially for finding new things to watch OR making lists (I enjoy that aspect)

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I used to make a point to see at least one new release every week (often times 2), this lasted for many years. I can say from experience my horizons were not broadeded at all, a whole lot of it was garbage, I've forgotten 90% of it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No thanks OP, these days I hardly have enough time for the hobbies I'm actually interested in.

People completely not being interested in the same things as you are is normal and i'd argue even a good thing, and it's presumptuous of you to think they are doing something the wrong way because of it.

Agreed, aside from the subtitles dig they just don't sound interested in movies. And that's okay.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i have babies at the moment so my film watching is in sharp decline for the next couple years

at some point, i'm going to have a really excellent back log to work through though

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
i have babies at the moment so my film watching is in sharp decline for the next couple years

at some point, i'm going to have a really excellent back log to work through though

How young are your kids, I find if they are super young, you can do it while they nap. But you are right, hard to manage movies while kids are around. I basically have to watch movies while I'm on the treadmill lol

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
I'm just not into movies or TV for that matter. Mainly just play Video games or read comics for entertainment while having something on YouTube I the background. Only movies I watch in theaters with regularity are superhero movies and Star Wars cause I already enjoy the franchises.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Your co-workers either sound boring or just aren't that into movies. My co-workers and I are constantly recommending each other things to watch and same for my friends.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
You can't force people to be into whatever movies you are into.

If they want to watch blockbuster films or only marvel films thats their choice.

I don't expect people to enjoy what I watch, as I tend to watch a lot of horror / thriller movies and that's about it (although I do tend to watch 10+ movies a week).

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
There are plenty of ways one can broaden their horizons and a lot of ways anyone can spend their time! I don't think it's just a matter of living under a rock or being boring. I see about 1 or 2 movies a year if that and my movie knowledge is pretty limited as a result. I just never have had much interest in movies or TV. I get bored sitting and watching anything pretty quickly. People are often super condensing to me because of this which is annoying, but Ive learned how to deal with it. I think it's better to focus on people that already watch plenty movies than those who do casually or not at all. Also try to play into their interests as well and not just recommend random stuff just because you like it.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to watch more movies, but it can be a struggle to find the time when there's also so many books, comics, games (video and tabletop), and TV I also am interested in. I think I watched about 10 films in the theater this year, and maybe about 10 films at home.

I use Letterboxd sporadically, so some movies don't end up getting logged, but here's mine: https://letterboxd.com/DevinH/
I'll go through and follow some more people from this thread soon.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know how many movies I watched last year, but it felt like it was about the right amount. It's the time commitment that limits my viewing.

During any week, taking 2 hours for a movie is a lot of commitment and one we usually avoid unless we planned for it. Work, commute, dinner, relax, repeat. And I'm kind of tired of these 2+ hour movies that I need to start by 7pm on a Friday night or facing the major risk of falling asleep on it after a long work week.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I do find that if you see more than 1 movie every 2 months or so then you'll be referred to by friends or colleagues as someone who sees so many movies! It's weird how there are so many people even on here who will be like I saw 3 movies in the theater this year. I'm like whuuuuuuu?

From March on until the end of last year I saw 84 movies (one twice) according to Trakt.tv which I use to catalog the TV and movies I've watched.

Nov 11, 2017
My new years' resolution is to beat Gregg Turkington's Guinness world record.

00020020.jpg

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine if people don't watch movies a lot to be honest. As someone who views the medium as an art form and goes out of my way to go to film festivals and such, I also get that serious film watching is a huge time sink and you don't really need to watch more than a handful a year to stay on top of the social trends regarding the blockbusters.

Like, television has become so much more of a serious medium where a lot of shows now have huge budgets and stories that outclass films just due to their longer running times, so I get why some people might be drawn to an easy one hour a day commitment over a movie which can be multiple hours, plus travel time and cost of a theater if they go out.

Do I wish more people have watched Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Kubrick and Lynch? Sure, because I think they make great works of art. But I won't kid myself and say I dove right into them and got it. It took hundreds of hours of watching movies before I actually appreciated the artistic element of filmmaking and understood what about those long, slow movies was so good. I didn't make the switch from thinking movies are just an entertainment thing to thinking they're serious art overnight.

And I don't expect most people who are busy with shit going on to devote hundreds of hours to watching movies. It's why I appreciate the folks who are interested in movies and do watch a lot of them; it's not for everyone, even though it can be a bit irritating to my own senses when all I hear in my day to day is how amazing the latest blockbuster is. At least they're engaging with movies in some way, I can appreciate that at the very least.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
On the growing list of problems of things people are or are not doing, watching enough movies is likely at the bottom of the list.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I watched like 140 last year with at least half of that in cinemas (not including about 20 rewatches)

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Era is better than average, but it kinda shocks me how some people seem completely uninterested in anything not mainstream. I watched like 80 films last year, many of them older or foreign films. Shooting for at least 100 this year.

May 24, 2019
I watch like 2-3 movies a week and my boss is constantly impressed by that.
When I was in school I'd watch maybe 6 every weekend.

edit: According to Letterboxd, I watched 215 films last year, but I go to film festivals and movie marathons, which shoot the numbers up.

May 24, 2019
What film festivals have you been to?

The major local one is NZIFF Auckland. The timing in the year usually works out to get a few movies hot off of Cannes. The tickets aren't much more expensive than regular movies too (or more expensive at all these days.)
One cool thing is that the Civic theater opens up to movies in those two weeks. It's the one Peter Jackson used in King Kong.
2EglV9J.jpg