• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got robbed tonight for the first time. Excellent experience. Witnesses were nearby, I chased the guy for a minute before deciding better and calling the police. The people who saw it got in their cars and left as I came back. I figure they only would have cared if I have been shot. Didn't even stick around to see if I was ok lol.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Glad to hear you're ok

Last edited:

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Glad your ok OP, definitely expected this to be a much different story from the title though lol.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Congrats OP.

I lost my actual cherry tonight (except not really cuz guys don't have them). I know unrelated I just felt like bringing it up because I'm still reeling from the fact that I did it

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So glad it was petty robbery and not an assault robbery (or worse, you being the robber!!). Stay safe!
I'm lucky that there were witnesses nearby. Who knows what would have happened. So just for information I was meeting a guy to sell a PS4 pro. Guy claimed he had to meet nearby because of his kid. I met him near a local bar with people nearby. Handed me an enevelope and started walking away really quickly. I said hey I need to count this and the guy started running. The people in the lot looked and did nothing as he started running past them (I get it). I chased him around a building through a yard then realized how stupid I was being. Turned around, called the police and the people got in their cars and left.

Just sucks because that's all the profit from all my sales for holiday stuff I was raising for gifts. I don't make a lot so that was pretty much everything I had right now. Just feeling shitty even though I know I got really lucky. I never meet people in non public locations so I just didn't expect it.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, good you're okay. Never been robbed once, despite living in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, some of friends were robbed just waiting in a parked car in a trailer park. The way they tell it, two guys just walked up, one of them rolled down the window to see what was up and they just started punching. Didn't even ask for money or their phones. Just beat the tar out of them and took the money/phones as an afterthought.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, good you're okay. Never been robbed once, despite living in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, some of friends were robbed just waiting in a parked car in a trailer park. The way they tell it, two guys just walked up, one of them rolled down the window to see what was up and they just started punching. Didn't even ask for money or their phones. Just beat the tar out of them and took the money/phones as an afterthought.
Yea thankfully I didn't have to deal with anything like that. Like I said I realize how lucky I am.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
20191207_193039.jpg

If I received money does that mean I was technically compensated? Lol

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm lucky that there were witnesses nearby. Who knows what would have happened. So just for information I was meeting a guy to sell a PS4 pro. Guy claimed he had to meet nearby because of his kid. I met him near a local bar with people nearby. Handed me an enevelope and started walking away really quickly. I said hey I need to count this and the guy started running. The people in the lot looked and did nothing as he started running past them (I get it). I chased him around a building through a yard then realized how stupid I was being. Turned around, called the police and the people got in their cars and left.

Just sucks because that's all the profit from all my sales for holiday stuff I was raising for gifts. I don't make a lot so that was pretty much everything I had right now. Just feeling shitty even though I know I got really lucky. I never meet people in non public locations so I just didn't expect it.
He took your PS4 Pro? That son of a bitch. You got his contact info, right?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He took your PS4 Pro? That son of a bitch. You got his contact info, right?
No, it's Facebook marketplace and they have literally nothing in terms of capability.

One thing I do have is I took pictures because I sold two one PS4 pro's today. One I inadvertently took pictures of the serial number for. So I reached out to the other buyer to ask them if the one I have pictures of is the one I sold them. Waiting for her to get home to let me know.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm not sure there's a good way to state that. Just trying to find some humor in it I guess.
hey props man, i respect this coping technique to the max. shit fucking blows, but at least you've got everything in tact. you're out whatever they took from you, but you're not in the hospital. and hey, you even did the cool if dumb thing of running after them, so you can shore up some pride still. seriously tho, you made it away with life and limb, once the adrenaline wears off take a shower, try to sleep, and call someone you care about tomorrow

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So were you held at gunpoint or anything? It sounds like you fell for the oldest Craigslist trick in the book. Should have verified the money before giving him the PS4. Lesson learned I suppose

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So were you held at gunpoint or anything? It sounds like you fell for the oldest Craigslist trick in the book. Should have verified the money before giving him the PS4. Lesson learned I suppose
The oldest trick in the book is while surrounded by witnesses grabbing and running off with the product? He didn't even give me a chance dude. People always want to open and look at the product before paying. So that's what my intention was. And he ran immediately

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So what did the police say?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what did the police say?
They took the information, asked about the guy, I gave a description 5'9 Hispanic, glasses (fake probably). Blue shell jacket trying to hide a tattoo on his left arm (I could see it on his hand). Etc. Asked if I had the serial number if he tries to pawn it (waiting to see). Asked where he went when I chased him, I told them as best I could from where he was running. Etc.

It's small fry. I know I'm basically out of luck.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear, OP. Maybe you can track the IP address if it's ever connected online? Anyways, next time bring a friend/family member and/or do the trade in a restaurant or something so they have a lesser chance of running.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear, OP. Maybe you can track the IP address if it's ever connected online? Anyways, next time bring a friend/family member and/or do the trade in a restaurant or something so they have a lesser chance of running.
Yea. I always meet publicly where it's not easy. I don't think I've ever met someone not in a car. So that should have been a huge flag.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's small fry. I know I'm basically out of luck.
That sucks. No cameras in the public/bar place?

I guess it's a lesson learned. I always meet people inside a McDonald's or a food court with clear cameras and no way for the person to run to if the deal goes sour. Police station is an ever better idea. Anyone that complains "I can't" has no good intentions.

I also always ask for name and phone number, or ask them to text me to my cell if they're serious buyers, and I'll tell them where to meet me. After that, there's no running away.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. No cameras in the public/bar place?

I guess it's a lesson learned. I always meet people inside a McDonald's or a food court with clear cameras and no way for the person to run to if the deal goes sour. Police station is an ever better idea. Anyone that complains "I can't" has no good intentions.

I also always ask for name and phone number, or ask them to text me to my cell if they're serious buyers, and I'll tell them where to meet me. After that, there's no running away.
I asked the bar said they didn't have any cameras.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you had to deal with that OP. In the future you can most likely meet at a local police station for these sorts of face-to-face sales with strangers. Some police stations even have dedicated areas for it and encourage folks to do so, but I think any should work even if there isn't some dedicated area for it.