• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Looks interesting. It looks like it has a bunch of Australian aesthetics but I wonder if it will have any themes or interesting historical fiction from our sunburnt land.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Neat. I've long been saying we need more games set in the Australian outback. Hopefully this pans out well.

Nov 3, 2017
I will happily play any game set in Australia, Outback or otherwise, but I'm a little concerned about this being a heavily white washed Australia made by a bunch of city kids who have never so much as spoken to an Aboriginal person.

It's frustrating enough how much white settlement is valourised here and how often I media forgets Aboriginal people even exist. I hope this game doesn't fall into the same trap

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You know Max, we really are a prison colony now. ;P

Seriously though:

1. It is wonderful to see ambitious RPGs return to their isometric roots and now with stylized art aesthetic no less.
2. Thank fuck it is not set in America but more importantly in a place that has seldom been used as the backdrop.
3. I did not know what drop bears were until last year, despite having lived in Sydney for whole year in 98.

I do wonder how the devs will incorporate aboriginals into the fictional history as well as PCs & NPCs.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks very much my jam. Not interested in playing a CRPG anywhere but PC personally, but neat to see it's going everywhere.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
More post-apocalyptic CRPG is always welcome. It does look a little rough though, but it's still far away from release so I'll keep my eyes on it.

Nov 3, 2017
At work so can't watch but is everyone white?
Every single character yes.

Just a note, many Aboriginal people have Caucasian presenting features. I for one, have several co-workers who identify and are recognised as Aboriginal, who could easily be mistaken as white by people who don't know them.

It's actually both a practical hurdle and a cultural insult that many people still have trouble proving their Aboriginal identity, especially when accessing government or community services.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note, many Aboriginal people have Caucasian presenting features. I for one, have several co-workers who identify and are recognised as Aboriginal, who could easily be mistaken as white by people who don't know them.

It's actually both a practical hurdle and a cultural insult that many people still have trouble proving their Aboriginal identity, especially when accessing government or community services.
I'm aware of this and acknowledge that my initial post in this thread was rather abrupt, but I guess by 'white' I didn't necessarily mean light-skinned. Having a game set in the outback without featuring Indigenous culture of any kind seems like a huge missed opportunity.

I also wasn't exclusively referring to Indigenous characters, Australia is so diverse it would just seem dishonest to not feature any characters of colour.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
Finally an australia crpg!
Every single character yes.
unknown.png

just a reminder necrobarista is coming out soon, a melbourne necromacer/barista VN game
https://www.necrobarista.com/
if people are looking for more australian story games

Last edited:

Craig Ritchie

Oct 1, 2019
Hi all. Drop Bear Bytes founder and Broken Roads lead dev checking in as this thread popped up on my radar and I wanted to respond earlier rather than later.

We have a number of dev blogs lined up to follow this reveal trailer, PAX Australia showing etc. The second is a lengthy look at the indigenous representation in the game, and what we have been doing on that side of things.

In brief: I have been working for more than 6 months with a range of indigenous cultural educators, elders, and game developers. I've spent many hours asking questions, learning, working hard to do this correctly. We have a writer of Aboriginal descent on the team and I have interviewed a second, who will be joining pending certain outcomes. I have a letter of approval from a nearby cultural centre that basically says I am approaching this in a respectful way (acquired for some government funding we applied for) and I have interest from an indigenous, Western Australian-based professor who has looked at the project and what we are up to, but as he is not officially on board I don't want to mention too much more.

I knew from the outset that this was going to be a sensitive topic and a challenge for myself and the team. I have not taken a single step to include any Aboriginal content, symbolism, cultural practices or indigenous playable characters without consent, approval and discussion from my advisors. As an earlier poster already mentioned, many Aboriginal people and those of indigenous descent are not immediately recognisable as such. This may include characters in videogames and their marketing collateral.

I'd rather save all the information for the blog post, which my advisor will be reading and approving before publishing, but felt I had to post this before conjecture and assumptions regarding Drop Bear Bytes and our work on Broken Roads went off the rails too far.

Thanks for your interest in the game - sincerely. We're doing all we can to ensure we handle this side of Broken Roads' content correctly.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all. Drop Bear Bytes founder and Broken Roads lead dev checking in as this thread popped up on my radar and I wanted to respond earlier rather than later.

We have a number of dev blogs lined up to follow this reveal trailer, PAX Australia showing etc. The second is a lengthy look at the indigenous representation in the game, and what we have been doing on that side of things.

In brief: I have been working for more than 6 months with a range of indigenous cultural educators, elders, and game developers. I've spent many hours asking questions, learning, working hard to do this correctly. We have a writer of Aboriginal descent on the team and I have interviewed a second, who will be joining pending certain outcomes. I have a letter of approval from a nearby cultural centre that basically says I am approaching this in a respectful way (acquired for some government funding we applied for) and I have interest from an indigenous, Western Australian-based professor who has looked at the project and what we are up to, but as he is not officially on board I don't want to mention too much more.

I knew from the outset that this was going to be a sensitive topic and a challenge for myself and the team. I have not taken a single step to include any Aboriginal content, symbolism, cultural practices or indigenous playable characters without consent, approval and discussion from my advisors. As an earlier poster already mentioned, many Aboriginal people and those of indigenous descent are not immediately recognisable as such. This may include characters in videogames and their marketing collateral.

I'd rather save all the information for the blog post, which my advisor will be reading and approving before publishing, but felt I had to post this before conjecture and assumptions regarding Drop Bear Bytes and our work on Broken Roads went off the rails too far.

Thanks for your interest in the game - sincerely. We're doing all we can to ensure we handle this side of Broken Roads' content correctly.
Well, that's rad to hear (and similar to the process I had to go through when working with ScreenWest). I appreciate you chiming in.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I dig the concept but not really a big fan of the artstyle, hopefully they can improve some things until the release. Gonna keep an eye on it, good luck.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Felt a bit eh, but after that post I think I can say I'm in day one now.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
You had me at "narrative-driven RPG set in non-fantasy world"
Just a reminder Australia isn't real and anyone who claims to have visited is part of the conspiracy. Sincerely an 'Australian'.

Will be keen to check this out at PAX 'Aus' next week!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck yeah, this is really exciting to hear, thanks for reaching out.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Really interested in this game, can't wait to hear more.
Edit: Oh damn, just noticed it's a 2021 release. Well I can wait, I'm not going anywhere (hopefully).

Thanks a lot for dropping by! It's great to hear that you and the team have taken such respectful and considerate approach to this, very much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing more.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Good! Glad to hear you have taken these things seriously. Really interested in this game.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Will it have any elements of Aboriginal culture in it? Very fascinating culture that has been neglected in the realm of games (FFX had an enemy based on the Bunyip but that's all I can recall).

Nov 3, 2017

Thank you very much for putting in the work to do the right thing 😊

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Really interested. Seem like they're following a similar trend as Disco Elysium in turning motives and ideals of characters into something they represent statistically in the gameplay.

I want to like it, but it looks pretty rough.
Understandable. As a fan of Spiderweb Software's output where their games visually at times look like they could have been on school computers I was using decades ago back in middle school, I personally put a lot of weight in writing and storytelling in RPGs like these. As such, their thematic goal they've set up carries a lot of sway with me. As long as the game isn't outright broken I can put up with a lot graphically.

Finally an australia crpg!

unknown.png

just a reminder necrobarista is coming out soon, a melbourne necromacer/barista VN game
https://www.necrobarista.com/
if people are looking for more australian story games

Just hearing about Necrobarista now thanks to you! One more for the wishlist pile.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
This is rad! Love hearing from new Australian game projects, and I feel like our landscape is so often - bizarrely - overlooked for game settings. This country has everything.

Can't wait to see more!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Colin McComb (Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and the current inXile RPGs) is joining the project:

Torquay, Australia, February 11, 2020 – Drop Bear Bytes is excited to announce that Colin McComb has joined the team as Creative Lead on their upcoming isometric RPG, Broken Roads.

A veteran designer of both tabletop and computer RPGs, McComb's work spans over 25 years with credits ranging from classics such as Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment through to more recent work on Torment: Tides of Numenera and Wasteland 2 & 3.

"It's not all that often that you get a chance to work on a game that combines two major foci of your resume," says McComb. "When Craig told me what he wanted to do with the setting and the philosophy of Broken Roads, I had to fight him because I was jealous of his idea. But then he let me join the team, so that was cool."

"I've played most of the games Colin has worked on over the years," says Craig Ritchie, Founder & Game Director of Drop Bear Bytes, "and the high concept work in Numenera and the depths to which certain themes were explored really stood out to me. It's awesome we've now got his talent and experience on the team."

Broken Roads is set in a ravaged future Australia and presents players with an original alignment system: the Moral Compass. This unique take on morality presents a 360-degree view of all ethical and philosophical decisions a character can make, as well as their available moral traits. A character's philosophical leaning will affect all areas of the game, from dialogue and companion reactions through to quest resolution and combat.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I love Australian post-Apocalyptica. Mad Max movies are the obvious go-to's, but check out The Rover for more restraint.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my God this looks incredible. I completely missed its reveal and subsequent updates, this is right up my alley.