• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking up with someone because they're not interested in kids and you are is absolutely a good reason to break up. But you shouldn't have gotten to the married part before discussing that.

The idea that attention-to-detail Amy considered an off-comment as evidence Jake was on the same page, married him, and then they both start freaking out just makes both of them look like colossal idiots.

is it me, or is this season way less funny than previous seasons?
nothing to do about Gina, I think it overall is a lesser season

I think it's a combination of trying to do more message shows, and the trend towards flanderization in service of story that is cropping up.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My marriage failed because my now ex wife changed her mind about children.

All throughout the relationship, engagement, and even when we got married, we both agreed no kids.

Then her coworkers had kids or got preggers and it all changed.

She wanted them. I wasn't ready. Her argument was the same as Amy's (god her name was amy too...) about not having a lot of time left.

This episode hit close to home, and I think Jake's decision was too quickly made to be realistic. But hey, TV writing needs things to be wrapped up nicely by the end of the 22 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
is it me, or is this season way less funny than previous seasons?
nothing to do about Gina, I think it overall is a lesser season
I haven't seen the latest episode, but I'm re-watching the series and the new season is totally in line with the previous five. The only noticeable difference is the missing Gina (which also happened when she was on maternity leave) and the occasional joke involving bleeped swearing (which apparently they couldn't do on FOX).

I do wonder if they need to shake things up a bit, though. Six seasons is a long time for a sitcom to kinda do the same thing, even if that thing is entertaining.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I really haven't enjoyed this season that much, I think it's more that I'm used to bingeing the show rather than watching an episode a week.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah this episode was super weak. Barely any laughs and the whole 'issue' was handled really cavalierly. It didn't feel remotely true to the characters, and even the other cast members barely felt themselves. Felt a bit like it was written issue first, and then struggled to find ways to involve everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this episode was super weak. Barely any laughs and the whole 'issue' was handled really cavalierly. It didn't feel remotely true to the characters, and even the other cast members barely felt themselves. Felt a bit like it was written issue first, and then struggled to find ways to involve everyone.
Finally got around to watching it and this was my opinion too. Very odd episode, my least favourite since "Show Me Going," and probably displaces it as the worst "very special episodes" the show occasionally does.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This week's episode was much stronger than the last one, IMO. The Holt/Peralta dynamic, particularly when Holt's husband Kevin is inserted into the mix, can create some humorous situations.

I also enjoyed the Terry/Amy rivalry.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode this week. I can't help but think of Marc Evan Jackson's character on The Good Place after watching that tho.

Oct 25, 2017
Any episode with Marc Evan Jackson is generally pretty great by default. Both for him and it means more Andre Braugher than usual.

Also the B-plot was lots of fun.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought that episode felt as equally off as the previous week. It was definitely funny, and it's always great to have more Kevin, but the Holt characterization here felt entirely different from what we've seen of him in the past interacting with these sorts of academic types. Much like the Amy baby stuff, it was like they came up with a conflict and ignored past characterization to make it work.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I thought this episode was really funny. Definitely the most use of the word 'kerfuffle' I've heard in a while.

B99 must get hour lunches with all the stuff Amy/Terry were doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Two biggest takes from this episode.

1) Jake and Amy are 7s? No way.

2) Can we just talk about Jake's incredibly slide at the end to help take down the criminal? Holy crap, that was amazing.

Super fun episode though.

Oct 27, 2017
The last episode was probably one of the best episodes in a long time. Certainly the best episode in this new NBC season... which I have been a bit disappointed with.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Linetti Set Go with the post-cancellation special out of freaking nowhere!

EDIT: Shout out to the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved the last 2 episodes which I ended up watching back to back. Man I love this show.

Also, I wouldn't really know but I think Rosa's relationships becoming a central part of the things she goes through is a nice change of pace from earlier seasons where her deal was that practically nobody knew what she's up to.

Kinda agree with Amy more in the last episode though, being able to ask for help when you need it is more important than individual capability :p

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, the knife in the back scene was too damn good.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
loved it. can never get enough Gina

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
christ, modern Gina sucks. "lets make you treat everyone like garbage, while either dodging any kind of blowback or reprimands, and get praised while doing so"

Last edited:

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't see this thread!

Been keeping up with the new season weekly. My brother, father and myself all feel it's a huge step down from older seasons.

The previous episode only got one laugh from us, the knife scene.

The cold opens have been hugely lame this season.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The Gina knife scene and the conversation with her manager over the phone was really funny.

Holt calling Boyle's son a non-adult was good too.

Agree it wasn't the funniest, but an okay episode is still pretty solid for me - like a 7 minimum.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought the last 3 or 4 episodes have been a return to form (Gina one was silly). Jake/Amy discussing kids was among the very best the show has ever done and everybody involved was hilarious.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I hate any Doug Judy episodes.
giphy.gif

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize they actually managed to do a heist episode. Awesome! Also the start of this episode so far is fantastic.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm calling it. Boyle's gonna take this.

EDIT: Damn, didn't the actor playing Terry's brother die a couple years ago?

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
This season does have a more series tone to it than the last 5. Also A LOT less Charles and Boyle. They've not done much together in this season. :/

Oct 29, 2017
christ, modern Gina sucks. "lets make you treat everyone like garbage, while either dodging any kind of blowback or reprimands, and get praised while doing so"

Exactly why I dislike her. Her only development through the series was through her ambition, but that never involved becoming a better person, unfortunately. A really sour episode for me was back in season four when the precinct was in danger of being closed down, and Gina spent what they all assumed to be their last day on the job together dousing her co-workers' coffee with industrial cement for prank videos. Holt gives a big speech at the end of the episode which Gina records and uploads to Twitter, and the precinct remains open thanks to her followers phoning the Commissioner. Everyone thanks Gina for saving the precinct, but it always felt wrong that she was the one who saved the day. And I think she puts cement in the beer they all toast her with, to boot.

Such an asshole.

And as someone who's been married the same amount of time that Jake and Amy have been, their miscommunication about kids was one of the most improbable scenes the series has aired. Just a weird, overly serious season. Glad NBC saved the show, but it seems like it's finally starting its decline phase.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Heist episodes are always the best. Can't wait for the next one #TeamKevin

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly why I dislike her. Her only development through the series was through her ambition, but that never involved becoming a better person, unfortunately. A really sour episode for me was back in season four when the precinct was in danger of being closed down, and Gina spent what they all assumed to be their last day on the job together dousing her co-workers' coffee with industrial cement for prank videos. Holt gives a big speech at the end of the episode which Gina records and uploads to Twitter, and the precinct remains open thanks to her followers phoning the Commissioner. Everyone thanks Gina for saving the precinct, but it always felt wrong that she was the one who saved the day. And I think she puts cement in the beer they all toast her with, to boot.

Such an asshole.

And as someone who's been married the same amount of time that Jake and Amy have been, their miscommunication about kids was one of the most improbable scenes the series has aired. Just a weird, overly serious season. Glad NBC saved the show, but it seems like it's finally starting its decline phase.
she had interesting arcs like when she was terrified after being robbed. after that tho, incredibly selfish. "i wont apologize for my career" as if that's the problem, and not just courtesy to a friend. urgh

Status
Not open for further replies.