• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
ByNzG9H.png

Following the murder of Emperor Altair II during a revolt spurred by his most loyal general, Fabian "The Master of the Six Devils," the world is in disarray and four nations splinter from the empire. Players assume the role of Fabian's son, tasked with taking up their father's mantle and forming their own army of Mercenaries to bring peace to the splintered lands of Brown Dust; they must find the truth about why their father committed treason and thrust the world into ceaseless war.

A3IjrbI.png

The gameplay of Brown Dust is quite different than combat of other gacha games. You have no direct control of your units, however, how you position your units, what turn order you have them go in, what team composition you use, and how you plan to counter the opponent is much more paramount than in other mobile gacha games.

In the formation screen, you set up your units on a 6x3 grid. In general, your unit will only attack enemy units in their same row, unless there are no units, and then they will attack the row beneath them. However, the units themselves are very unique and behave very differently from one another. One unit might have a "Skip" pattern, which means they attack the second unit in a row. Another unit may have the "Last" pattern, where they only attack the farthest back enemy in a row. Still others have AOE patterns, where they attack in a line, square, or cross pattern. In addition to this, you can choose the order in which your units go. Let's look at the below fight and see how you might want to play this out.

mtou1Z6.jpg

Your units are on the left, enemy on the right. Let's say that Enemy 1 is a very powerful buffer who will make all other units incredibly powerful. On row two, we would want to place a unit that attacks the last enemy in a row to take out the enemy as fast as possible. Now say that Mage 5 and Mage 6 deal massive damage to their entire row. We want to take them out too, right? Well, Mages take one turn to charge. So we might be able to get by with stacking a couple "Skip" units in the top and bottom row. Why? Because if our skip units kill Warrior 9 and Warrior 10, then the "Skip" will target the Mages, because they are now the second unit. We can see that the Mages have numbers "6" and "7", so as long as our Skip units are before that, we will go first and take them out before they can cast their powerful magic.

This is one simple example of how this game can have incredible depth and strategy despite the player not having direct control over their units.

There are over 1200 unique fights in the game right now, as the game has been out in other regions for just about a year, so there is no lack of content. Global servers are concurrent with other regions, so there is no wait for content they may have.

The game also has a very nice auto repeat feature. For anything not-story content that you would want to farm, you can simply click auto repeat and close the game. The repeat time per stage is ([3 seconds] x [number of turns in your fastest run]), with a minumum of 20 seconds. You don't have to have the game open, you don't have to leave your screen on. Just let it farm that easy content and go on with your day.

zCG72KP.png

PVP is a large part of the game. Some people really hate that, because it rewards whales. And you know what? It does. But you can auto repeat it and not even look at it for the normal arena.

However, there is also live PVP. What this entails is you and your opponent each go back and forth choosing units and placing them. So you can place a unit, get countered, counter that unit, or throw in curveballs mid-draft to make the opponent take a step back and perhaps overreact to a bait play.

It's an interesting take on live PVP that makes the game quite unique, and is a large part of the game's appeal.

LfRPfM1.png

The gacha in this game has two layers. The first is your standard gacha. You pull for heroes. The rates are: 1.2% SSR (1% dedicated to rate up), 7.83% SR (5.03% dedicated to rate up), and 90.97% R. You have banners, etc etc. Standard gacha stuff.

Then there is the Dominus Octo summon. This has special, rare, and powerful units only found in this summon pool. The rates are: 0.2% Domimus Octo, 2.04% SSR, 13.01% SR, 84.75% R. Those are some...rough rates. However, you can earn tokens called "Ancient Coins" in-game to summon half of the pool of Octos, and you can pick your Octo. I believe that when they add a new Octo, the oldest of the non-purchasable Octos get added to the pool to spend Ancient Coins on, but I cannot find definitive information to confirm or deny this.

Dupes are very important as this is how you raise skill levels and learn new skills, but the game gives out skill books during events. Because it is much easier to earn skill books for R and SR characters, and get dupes for them, this makes R and SR characters quite strong...until you reach the point where hyper whales will spank you. But that's PVP gacha for ya.

There is, however, a guarantee system that does not reset between banners, called the Mileage system. After 100 pulls you can pick any 4* character, after 400 you can select any 5* character.

If we make a guild, I'll add the information here.

Last edited:

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give this some reroll attempts when I'm off work but I just wanted to say that OT title is perfection and I legit laughed out loud.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I got a re-roll with Foxy and the supporter on the very right (can't remember her name right now), but I'm still re-rolling for Seir. This game seems like the type where solid tanks are super important, and Seir apparently ages incredibly well. So yeah, if my re-roll doesn't have her then I'm not settling.

Also, thanks for the OT, Einbroch!

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Looks generic as fuck. From the bad designs to the combat system with optics from early 2000.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
All games need the auto repeat function this game has. It's implemented perfectly. Rewards you for fast clears.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the OT. My name is the same in-game. Does anyone want to make a guild?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I got a re-roll with Foxy, Eleaneer, Lillian AND Veronia, that's four 5*! As well as 3x 4*. No Seir though. Damn it. :/

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the tier list above in text form, can't be wasting time looking at pictures when there's re-rolls to be doing!

(O)=Octo
(O*)=Octo, gacha only
(S) = Six Devils

Warrior

S Valze(O*), Edin
A Foxy, Seto (O)
B Alec(S), Jin, Siegmund
C Eleaneer, Angelica(S), Christina, Victor, Gunther, Dwen, Rogan, Elija
D Ventana, Kaina
E Growth, Dalvi, Barbara

Defender

S Lucius(O*), Mamonir(O)
A Sier, Aaron
B Arkan, Granhildr(S)
C Deomaron
D Zenith, Cecilia, Glacia
E Rafina, Gloria, Baine, Kaoli, Ymir, Vermont, Astrid

Magician

S Levia(O*), Velfern(O)
A -
B Lillian, Celia(S)
C Nartas(S), Aie, Hijin, Anubis
D Wester, Eldora, Valtor, Bathroy
E Garinoth, Claudia, Elise, Lorang, Freesia

Supporter

S Asmode(O*)
A Refithea(S), Beliath(O*), Venaka
B Veronia, Mary
C Themis, Helena
D -
E Floria, Sabrina, Michaela

Last edited:

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
is there any way to tell what 5* heroes you can get from the two free tickets?

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Does a reroll just consist of using the two free tickets? Or should you go further to get additional currency/rewards first?

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Does a reroll just consist of using the two free tickets? Or should you go further to get additional currency/rewards first?
You should get 20 summon scrolls as well. However, the banner units are mostly just okay, so you can choose to save them should you so desire.

You can also keep playing until you get a ten roll on the legendary banner which is like 900 crystals but that's for crazy people.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also keep playing until you get a ten roll on the legendary banner which is like 900 crystals but that's for crazy people.

You can get 10 legendary scrolls and 300K gold for 600 gems. Though the 900 gem legendary ten pull gives you 150 mileage. Are legendary pulls the best use of crystals I wonder?

Edit: Welp, those 10 3* units I got from the legendary scrolls certainly felt worth it

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit more and...I'm honestly unsure of the game. Gameplay is definitely different than what I was expecting (not that that's a bad thing), but the graphics are so basic. Like, the art for the characters themselves are really cool, and then you get to the in-game animation and they're just cardboard cutouts that hardly move. It kind of makes collecting the numerous characters a lot less appealing, since they look so primitive. :/

I'll give it a couple days and see how I feel then, but I'm not completely sold on the premise just yet.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Handy list, Viola is certainly a beast. Re-rolling is going poorly, after a few hours I have seen Sier once. Though the Foxy/Venaka account on my phone is tempting.
Venaka is a game changer, and Foxy does such insane damage. Honestly that sounds like a great account. The freebie tank is quite good.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like she painted her ass bronze and skipped wearing pants. But at least she has the rest of herself armored!

I assume it's a she. Could be a he.

LeonSPBR

Oct 25, 2017
Veronia is a girl. Just look her awakening Sprite, she loses more armor to become stronger.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, in typical fashion! The less armor = the more defense you have, it's completely logical.

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit more and...I'm honestly unsure of the game. Gameplay is definitely different than what I was expecting (not that that's a bad thing), but the graphics are so basic. Like, the art for the characters themselves are really cool, and then you get to the in-game animation and they're just cardboard cutouts that hardly move. It kind of makes collecting the numerous characters a lot less appealing, since they look so primitive. :/

I'll give it a couple days and see how I feel then, but I'm not completely sold on the premise just yet.

I'm in chapter 3 and I'm still loving my units, especially Sier and Foxy, but they're quite underwhelming when they come with limit of skills. From what I'm reading from r/BrownDust (I could be wrong, so please correct me if possible) that if you merge with the same unit (ie. 5* Seir), you will able to unlock another skill.

Last edited:

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
Got Seir and Valtor as my 5* picks, and then got two Veronicas from the 2 multipulls. I think I'm good?

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted good support and atleast 3 ssr from those 34 pulls we have. Thus I was aiming for Venaka and 2 SSR that arent trashiest ones.
I had one roll of 4 SSR but all were C or lower tiers. After a lot of rerolls (well they are fast to do) I got an account.

Screenshot_20190308-091837.png

By looking that SR tierlist I think Britain will be added to team too and something else when I have enough cost.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I did some more re-rolls and got Seir, Siegmund and Eldora in my first 30 multi-pulls + two tickets, so I;ll probably go with this account. I didn't think to be as greedy as I was, but re-rolling in this was too damn easy, haha.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
So. One either uses 900 gems for Legendary pulls and gets mileage points. Or uses 600 gems and gets 10 Legendary scrolls + 300k gold but no Mileage points. I Made the 900 gems pull by grinding gems 1 & 2 chapters and few fights of 3rd.

I hope there is room for 2 supports in 9 unit team. No clue how long it will take to get the needed unit cost to have so many units in combat.

Screenshot_20190308-121657.png
Screenshot_20190308-121705.png

Also, who to choose when time comes and we have 1500 special currency to pick one?

Screenshot_20190308-124944.png
Screenshot_20190308-124929.png
Screenshot_20190308-124913.png

One of the Six Devils or one of the available Dominus Octos?
At this point I need 2nd tank most likely.

PRed

Jan 7, 2018
I tried running 3* and 4* support units and I felt my already average dps drop to subpar very quickly.

Seconding the question of, will someone start a guild in this game, or is there not enough interest?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, who to choose when time comes and we have 1500 special currency to pick one?

One of the Six Devils or one of the available Dominus Octos?
At this point I need 2nd tank most likely.

Congrats on Asmode, Seir, Foxy and an octo is an awesome start. If I was you I'd consider picking up Velfern to have a top tier unit of each type.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats on Asmode, Seir, Foxy and an octo is an awesome start. If I was you I'd consider picking up Velfern to have a top tier unit of each type.

Thanks, tho my starting units aint those.

Venaka (support)
Lillian (mage dps)
Elija (sword dps)
Asmode (support)

I thnk I aim for tank, if I don't get decent one before choosing time.
Edit: Asmode is support tank.

Last edited:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A hundred and fifty plus re-rolls later, Sier definitely feels rarer than the rest, I've got her four times. But every time was with an E rank unit, usually Barbara.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I love E7, don't get me wrong, but it could really learn to steal some features from this game.

The auto repeat feature.
The background auto repeat feature.
The fact that there are days where you get bonuses for focusing on certain content.
The fact that login bonuses aren't complete garbage.
While the UI is generic, the features of the UI are fantastic. Multiple select, etc.
Able to repeat arena. Even a feature like "just gimme 5 losses" in E7 would be welcome.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy if they'd at least add auto chest opens and decent filters for the unit screen

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Did a legendary pull and got Valzé who seems to be one of the best warriors so that's awesome. Also got Vermund who's a bottom tier tank but at least I already got Seir

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the cost they should at least guarantee you a 4* unit on the Legendary 10 pulls. 1800 crystals down and only the mileage and a rake of 3*'s to show for it.

Did a legendary pull and got Valzé who seems to be one of the best warriors so that's awesome. Also got Vermund who's a bottom tier tank but at least I already got Seir

Congrats Valze looks like a great unit.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten pretty lucky with my pulls. Not including the 2 5* you get, I've gotten 1 legendary and 2 more 5* in about 7 10x pulls. After putting 900 crystals into EXP I can easily clear floor 6 of the rune dungeon and farm 3-5* runes.

Edit: I noticed a neat thing about this game and that you can set your units to farm something, and then level them up at the same time. So while I'm farming the EXP dungeon, I'm using the EXP I get from it to level up my units while they're still farming it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49574

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2018
Norway
Edit: I noticed a neat thing about this game and that you can set your units to farm something, and then level them up at the same time. So while I'm farming the EXP dungeon, I'm using the EXP I get from it to level up my units while they're still farming it.

Yeah you can do all dungeons at the same time :)

What is going on with Veronia's armour?
D1G9YM4UcAAiSdv.png

She is a support character that wants to be a tank ;)

Last edited: