• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
It's heartbreaking how films like Roma have their days numbered cause the short attention span generation cant stay awake for couple of hours.
Who said anything about these movies having their days numbered? People will always create art, people made art in the death camps during the holocaust, stop worrying my man.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The Favourite is "about" whether we want brutal honesty (Weisz's character) or obsequiousness (Stone's character) in love.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
The Favourite is "about" whether we want brutal honesty (Weisz's character) or obsequiousness (Stone's character) in love.
I interpreted it as more of a class allegory with Emma Stone's character as the protagonist.
Merit alone could not take her to the top, nor her connections. Instead, what made her escalate in the ranks was Machiavellian manipulation on a sexual level. Her initial moral righteousness (giving herbs to the queen despite the risk of whipping) turns into downright cruelty after her scheme has completed (she steps on rabbits, reflecting the ongoing animal cruelty motif that symbolises the ruling class' cruelty). Yet the final scene establishes that no matter how high she climbs, she's still subservient to the queen. Despite the rise in decadence, she is ultimately still performing sexual favours under duress. No matter what, there will always be someone higher than her that will screw her over. Such is the cruel fate of the class system.

Last edited:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the 2nd anonymous voter presenting their choices

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...2-cooper-perfect-green-book-offensive-1188021

Some choice quotes

I wish Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse had been nominated — it was terrific — and I really enjoyed A Quiet Place, too. I hated Vice — well, I should say, I hated the first half of it, because I turned it off halfway through; it felt gimmicky. I did not care for Black Panther — I appreciate what the film represented to people, but I just thought it was pretty mediocre. I'm not a fan of Green Book, either — it felt kind of retrograde and borderline offensive with all the cliches, and then I read what the family [of Don Shirley] was saying and that didn't help. My son said to me, "That movie is trash"; I wouldn't go that far.

I did not see Capernaum or Never Look Away. Being in black-and-white does not make a movie fabulous. You know how I feel about Roma, and I feel pretty much the same way about Cold War, too — the female character keeps leaving her lover, and what she does to her child at the end is unforgivable and made me hate her. Why did the guy like her? They deserve each other. I thought Shoplifters was terrific.

I did not like Mary Poppins [Returns] or Roma. Black Panther is probably going to win, but I did not like the production design on that — to me, every scene looked like a set. First Man — I used to go out with Buzz Aldrin. [I ask, "Are you serious?"] Yeah, he was cute back in the day — the only person I ever slept with just because of who he was; I just wanted to say, "I slept with someone who was on the moon."

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
I watched Bohemian Rhapsody and Mid90s back to back.

Mid90s is a better movie.

I agree Rami was fantastic but as a movie been there done with music bio pics as an example
Chadwick Boseman as James Brown was just as much fun to watch and get up was a better film overall

Saw The Favorite 2 days ago I enjoyed it but it's not Yorgo's top 2 films even (Lobster/Sacred Deer)
Loved the ending 4 senior citizen couples were in the theater and couldn't believe an all female cast were not into the men
They were pissed you could hear them talking this is why i don't like movies etc
it ruined their enjoyment with the oldest women yelling what is going on during the ending

I have seen 6 0f the 8 nominees
this is a weak year and better films didn't get nominated

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else everyone gushing over Into the Spider-Verse, even wishing it was nominated for Best Picture is great to see.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Just watched the green book. Look the plot isn't the best, but it was a good story. It deserves the nom, maybe, but not the win.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
I read Black Klansman before I saw the movie and the movie disappointed me as a lot of it was fictional.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
As far as the Netflix thing, what is our job as Academy members? We are trying to promote great films for audiences to see. When we gave our award to The Hurt Locker or Moonlight, we were getting people to go to theaters to see them; Roma is this brilliant work, visually speaking, on a big screen, but it becomes greatly diminished when you watch it on television, which is what 95 percent of the people that want to watch it have to do. I've spoken to several of my peers who watched it at home, and they were out after 20 minutes.

The irony of calling Roma indulgent and then saying some shit like this.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just the trhree movies in the OP:

What does "best" mean? Does it mean the best edited, written, directed and acted movie of the year? Then why is the best movie not selected by adding up the "obnjective" categories? It's because we can reward a movie with the "best" title for being or doing more than the sum of its parts. I'd push back like MAD on him demanding to know where the "enterrtainment" value in Roma is. It's in the beauty and the cadence and the sadness and the happiness as we spy on this family and the small inner lives that we otherwise never get to see presented on screen, and certainly not with such affection and empathy and realism - all wrapped up in an almost incandescent look through the laundry lines and old glass of an underfilmed place. I was thoroughly entertained.

I can't make a case for Black Panther personally, but I loved that movie and watched it twice with my daughter, and it not only proved that an african american cast and filmmakers can be more than juist Spike Lee - or art house, or exploitation, but it blew that idea out of the water financially. And this year Lee himself has a 100% defensible shot at the title himself - and I wouldn't mind if either was rewarded as a proxy of the other - and BP ironically created a much bigger conversation about black cinema and the black experience - it may be "merely" a comic book action film but you'd have to be insane to pretend it wasn't important.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a perfect alpha build of a movie that should be made again, maybe even with the same cast, but this time by a competent single director with more appetite for the truth, and less input by perfectly nice surviving band members who, nonetheless, skewed the movie to suit their own narratives. The use of aids as the "reason" for Live Aid could have been done just as meaningfully, perhaps more so, by showing a connection through art, irony, metaphor, anything rather than clumsily and dishonestly stuffing it in as a direct cause-effect. I will say that Bohemian Rhapsody is the MOST unexpected salvage of a trashfire for years - at the box office and the awards season. So props to whoever took it over at the burning point and fixed it up. Rami Malek deserves the spotlight, but his accent is a big dealbreaker fdor me that I can't get past - like the vinyl double glazed windows at the beginning of Dunkirk. A record-scratch whaaaaaaaaa moment.

AND ON NOT ENJOYING ROMA ON A TV!//?????

If you're voting in the Academy, then get your ass to a theater first, and Best Buy second. I can watch Roma in HDR at 4k with astonishing visual and audio fidelity on a proportionally massive screen with zero distractions. If I had to resolve that from scratch, I could do it for less than a grand, way less if I bought used or had the patience to tinker. And if I am voting on the academy and take it seriously, that's my responsibility.And further, I could watch it again, freeze frame, rewatch a scene to examine something I missed earlier. This guy.

As soon as I saw the word "indulgent"used to tar a small personal film about the inner lives of a maid and her family in Mexico City, I had an instant, near-fatal Jimmie-rustling. Like hearing a billionaire complain about "excess."

Last edited:

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched BlackkKlansman last night.

Fantastic movie from beginning to end.

This movie deserves best picture and Spike finally should get best director.

There's never been a movie more on point with it's message relative to the climate than this one.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Watched BlackkKlansman last night.

Fantastic movie from beginning to end.

This movie deserves best picture and Spike finally should get best director.

There's never been a movie more on point with it's message relative to the climate than this one.
Cultural relevance is strong with this one. Is cultural relevancy weighed more than the direction itself? It has to be since BP got the nod