• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah especially in this day and age. I think the only ones I can't watch right now on my couch are A Star is Born and Vice.

A Star is Born is up for digital rental now in the US, so it's only VICE that isn't. The digital availability of all of these movies made the Oscars a bit weird for me this year. I've been seeing all the BP nominees in theaters for the last 7 years as part of Best Picture Marathon/weekend events, and this year was the first year that I skipped. Too many movies that I could just watch at home for free, or had already seen.

The write-up seems pretty spot-on this year and I agree with almost everything written. The Favourite will end up being the movie from the nominee list that I liked most, but a bunch of these shouldn't have made the list because they aren't very good. Nominating Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther over Eighth Grade? Give me a break.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I disagree that none of the animated shorts are good, I do like his reasoning for not going with Bao. Pixar shorts are toxic for that category.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Roma was great. I have never seen a "home movie" with that level of quality. Screw this dude. The only thing I didn't liked about Roma was the PRI propaganda hah. That shitty political party was the #1 ruler of the country back in the 70s so I guess it makes sense it appeared plenty during lot's of scenes in the movie.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why Oscars are put on a pedestal by the public, i it is a industry award through and through

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
That terrible Roma take pretty much ruins anything I might agree with about the other movies from this person

Nov 27, 2017
I look forward to these features every year before the Oscars. I actually thought this one was pretty good. I may not agree with him on all points, but he had sound reasoning for his choices and it sounds like he watched enough to be informed. It bugs me to no end when some of the voters are like "I didn't watch any of these but I know the Pixar movie so I voted for that."

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine calling Roma a home movie
Imagine seeing The Favourite and being like "But what's the point"
Imagine talking about the Foreign Film nominees and not even mentioning Shoplifters

Funny that he mentions the Charlottesville footage making Blackkklansman for him, it ruined the film for me. I felt it was way too forced and on the nose.
The Charlottesville footage is what made the damn movie. Without it its kind of just a run of the mill film about the odd circumstances of a police investigation. The whole transition from the window watching the burning cross, to the cut to the actual footage of Charlottesville with David Duke saying vile racist shit and who we have just watched being used for light comedic effect was powerful. It cements the fact that there is still a ton of racist views and sympathizers in this country.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about Charlottesville and then saying Roma doesn't have anything interesting...
Except that it shows students being killed, and that it's actual history.
This person seems to only care about history that's pertinent to them.
What an idiot.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
at least he has a voice and reasons for picking. I feel like in most cases you can't even trust voters to have watched all or most of the shit.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
99% of the people won't watch these movies in theaters after the oscars you smart voter

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
There is a cultural element to Roma that you are either gonna get, or not get. It's easy to spot, and this reviewer falls into the latter.
The "take it or leave it" aspect of Roma makes me question whether it'll be able to bring home the Best Picture Oscar in a preferential ballot situation even if it lands the most 1st place votes thanks to its pedigree (it's my favorite film from last year) and the $50+ million that Netflix is spending solely to land this prize. I mean, this guy didn't get it and still placed it 4th - so clearly he's not actively trying to sabotage it, which is pretty darn kind for a "brutally honest" ballot that refers to Roma as a "home movie".

I just have to imagine that anyone that "doesn't get it" but actively really wants something else... ANYTHING ELSE... to win in its place is going to be far more inclined to rank it 8th or not rank it at all.

The Charlottesville footage is what made the damn movie. Without it its kind of just a run of the mill film about the odd circumstances of a police investigation. The whole transition from the window watching the burning cross, to the cut to the actual footage of Charlottesville with David Duke saying vile racist shit and who we have just watched being used for light comedic effect was powerful. It cements the fact that there is still a ton of racist views and sympathizers in this country.
Some of us already knew this to be the case without needing that footage spliced in with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to ensure that message resonated. But, and I'll digress, I can see it proving to be a worthwhile inclusion for folks who live in a bubble and aren't attuned to current events the way I am. I think including that footage may well prove to be more worthwhile in a decade or two for folks revisiting Spike Lee's filmography.

As for me, I just found it tacky and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst things about the Oscars is that they have been so wrong about the awards for so long that it winds up being a never ending cycle. They didn't recognize Spike Lee's groundbreaking early work, so now they are going to recognize one of his later middle of the road efforts. But to do that they have to ignore movies that are actually currently vital, like Blindspotting or Sorry to Bother You. Of course 30 years from now the cycle will continue when they recognize those filmmakers for some 6/10 movies they make late in their careers.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I only saw BlacKKKlansman like a couple weeks ago but yeah, Spike is finally getting that Oscar, they're going to be making up for past major snubs just as they have many times before.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I was hoping "brutally honest" meant like "embarassing" or "showing sexism/racism" but it was more the "devoid of hype" and "fair" kind of brutally honest and now I'm disappointed.

Well, complaining that Roma was a TV movie is pretty dumb.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
No anecdotes about turtle fetishes or falling asleep in movies, this is a mild one.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I fucking hate snooty-ass film people who think any movie that makes more than $10 at the box office is 'mainstream' and therefore a 'cash grab.' And I say that as someone who works in the industry, surrounded constantly by these people.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Eh, I swear this is one of the most sensible ones of the "brutally honest oscar voter" ballots. But Roma is still winning

May 26, 2018
giphy.gif

There were so many others that were ignored since then goddamnit.

Remember the Alamo Kaguya

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see Roma but I agree with BP I don't even know why it's there. It's no better than most marvel pictures. Endgame was better.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fucking out-of-touch clowns voting at this point. Ridiculous. They don't know shit.

How the fuck do you not nominate Beale Street!?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking out-of-touch clowns voting at this point. Ridiculous. They don't know shit.

How the fuck do you not nominate Beale Street!?
At this point? The average age of an Oscars voter is like 68. Most of them don't even watch the vast majority of these films and haven't been active in the industry for years. It's always been this way, the Oscars have always been a 6 hour long self congratulatory wankfest where Hollywood gathers its "elites" (high brow producers and A-list actors/directors) to tell each other how amazing they all are while ignoring the dozens of rapists, pedophiles, and predators sitting in or adjacent to the ceremony itself. It's always been this way. None of the voters know fuck all.

The awards also stopped meaning anything as they're now no longer "must see TV" in an era where if anything interesting or compelling happens you can just look it up on youtube immediately instead of relying on water cooler talk the next day.

Oct 29, 2017
Nice to see Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Bon rightly called out. Thought all the whining about Black Panther was bullshit when those two were on the ballot.

Out of those nominated, Roma is still my favourite and Blackkklansman and Green Book both a close second.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This year's nominees, with the exception of Kkklansman, Favourite, and Roma are pretty terrible. Black Panther is the best Marvel movie but that's still not saying much, it's a fun nominee but Fruitvale Station and Creed were both better.

They really fucked up by not including Beale Street, Widows, or First Reformed

I will die on this hill, black Panther imo is an average movie. I found it dull and was genuinely bored more than once. The social impact is amazing, far over due and I applaud it for that. But as a film taken in isolation, it will not age well. In thirty years people would see it had been nominated for best picture and people will say "what?". Especially when the social importance of the film is felt less strongly. It is a significant film, but it is not a good film. If you enjoyed it, power to you, I did not

Oct 31, 2017
Man, I watched the best live action short category that this Academy member calls the strongest category of any... they were mostly all well made dour slogs. Skin was definitely the best one.

Green Book being nominated for best picture is really bad. It's too cute take on racism is embarrassing.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I think they've done this feature for the last few years and I think the voter's choices this year are actually pretty good. I remember in one year the voter didn't even watch any of the animated films or any of the shorts.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I will die on this hill, black Panther imo is an average movie. I found it dull and was genuinely bored more than once. The social impact is amazing, far over due and I applaud it for that. But as a film taken in isolation, it will not age well. In thirty years people would see it had been nominated for best picture and people will say "what?". Especially when the social importance of the film is felt less strongly. It is a significant film, but it is not a good film. If you enjoyed it, power to you, I did not
There are at least three other movies in the best picture category that will be forgotten and mocked for having been nominated in the first place long before Black Panther.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Infinity War had the good guys losing, half the universe and most of the fan favorites dying, turned the big bad who was anything but a threat into one of the best villians in film, and mixed 20 movies worth of development into a well constructed and balanced film. It is many things, but not a cash grab in the slightest.

I wonder if there will be any reflection from the Academy that the reason they are slipping into irrelevency is their not just ignoring but slandering the very genre of film that is keeping their way of business going? I'd put Infinity War above most of the BP nominees.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Actually it's no surprise Spider-Man will win (best Animated movie of 2018 btw), but I'm dissapointed he didn't made an effot to watch Mirai.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i dont really disagree with his take, at least where it concerns a star is born; seems like a fair assessment overall