• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Given that Spider-Man PS4 spent a bulk of its development during the infamous X-Men/Fantastic Four ban (the ban that impacted other recent Marvel games such as Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite & Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2), this shouldn't really come as a surprise. But I suppose now we have official confirmation of the Baxter Building's absence. Hopefully they can add it into the map in a later update, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

However, there are a number of other Marvel locales present in Spider-Man PS4's New York City, such as Avengers Tower, the Sanctum Sanctorum, & Damage Control's HQ. The Wakandan Embassy is also in the game, but it's not shown in the tweet below.

Sources: Bryan Intihar (Twitter), Walt (Twitter)

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
To be expected tbh. This is too closely aligned with the MCU for this to happen right now.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be expected tbh. This is too closely aligned with the MCU for this to happen right now.
This is not about being closely aligned with the MCU. A few years back, Marvel Entertainment enforced a ban on X-Men & Fantastic Four characters (Maximoff Twins included, sans one or two exceptions) on games made during that time. I remember making a comprehensive post back at the old place on what that ban entailed & the specifics I could uncover by referencing the games, but it impacted new games made after Contest of Champions. It technically ended mid-2017, but it still impacted MvCI & Lego Marvel 2 since they began development during the ban. Unfortunately, Spider-Man PS4 seems to be another victim of the ban (& hopefully the last victim).

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the videogame "ban" on X-Men and Fantastic Four ever actually confirmed? It seemed like whenever it came up people would pop in to claim that it's just hysteria and nonsense.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is not about being closely aligned with the MCU. A few years back, Marvel Entertainment enforced a ban on X-Men & Fantastic Four characters (Maximoff Twins included, sans one or two exceptions) on games made during that time.

Yeah I know about the ban, and I'm saying it's not just that. It's not like the Fantastic Four situation is completely clear even if the ban is technically lifted, and this game has ties to the MCU even though it's not part of MCU itself. This is just speculation, but I believe Marvel would want to have that MCU reference point in a game project of this scale before ok-ing FF content, so I don't believe it will even happen as DLC or anything, not unless this game gets a really long lasting update cycle.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Was the videogame "ban" on X-Men and Fantastic Four ever actually confirmed? It seemed like whenever it came up people would pop in to claim that it's just hysteria and nonsense.
DeNA (the devs of Marvel Mighty Heroes) did confirm that the ban was a thing in a message on Facebook, which was what confirmed our fears.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing official but we're all seeing this and not seeing certain things again and again. It's certainly not nonsense or conspiracy theories as some tried to pass this off as being whenever it was initially brought up.

Edit: Didn't know there was finally official confirmation.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, stick it in the sequel and say the Impossible Man was why it was missing.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Pretty sure the devs of that one mobile Marvel game (the fighter) implied as such.

Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite made it pretty obvious, too.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Weird....

Its like Marvel doesn't own Xmen. The fuck?
I explained the shit that happened between Marvel Entertainment & Fox a few years back in this thread. It got better sometime before the Disney-Fox deal became a thing, but clearly Spider-Man PS4 is still feeling the impact of that ban.