• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
DerKoun on Reddit has put together a mod for byuu's bsnes emulator that lets it render Mode7 games at HD resolutions. This is pretty wild.

Download (Windows binary and changed source files):

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09097447083714923515

This is, of course, offered as-is.

If anyone could provide binaries for Mac, Linux or anything else it would be much appreciated.

This is a mod of bsnes 107.1 by byuu (high-level emulation for co-processors came right on time for this).

It performs Mode 7 transformations (incl. HDMA) at up to 4 times the horizontal and vertical resolution.

Optionally, for games with pseudo 3D perspectives, some limitations of the integer math used by the SNES can be avoided by more aggressive averaging.

This can be disabled in Settings/Emulator/Experimental, where you can also change the scale or disable this feature.

For best performance try different output modes in Settings/Driver/Video. (For me Direct3D performs best.)

I recommend checking out the comparison gallery here. Pilotwings in particular is nuts:

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/EB9MNNNU

Last edited:

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used an emulator in awhile but I could have sworn games looked better than the non-HD ones pictured

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Technically impressive but the low res F-zero textures makes it look like buildings. That illusion is lost.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's cool, but I kind of like the "noise" of regular mode 7. I think it does a good job of hiding the lack of fine details.

This reminds me of those super eagle SA2+ Turbo Edition filters that no one uses.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck that's a huge difference. I think the closest equivalent in modern games is the special stages in Sonic Mania, which are inspired by the special stages in Sonic CD.

Oct 27, 2017
So how does this work? Is it interpolating data to fill in more pixels, or is this data that's already present but obscured via Mode 7? Look at the Pilotwings comparison - there's a ton of detail on the landing strip that doesn't appear to exist no matter how hard you squint. Surely that can't be interpolation.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, that's something else. BSNES and the rest of byuu's emulator work has always been pretty impressive but this mod is next level.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Are there any videos of this running yet? Or is it more of a thing like early days of HD DS emulation where the screenshots look amazing but the games run super slow? Either way, I'm sure performance will be tweaked and improved over time. This is very cool, trying to think of other mode 7 games that would look good with this. Yoshi's Island? LTTP map?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
It looks to be adding art?

Do we have rips of the original textures? It's possible they were always relatively detailed but was lost in the mode7 rendering.

This reminds me of those super eagle SA2+ Turbo Edition filters that no one uses.

This seems a little different in that the default mode7 rendering was possibly removing detail from the actual image on the cart by rendering it at such a low resolution, pumping it up is actually restoring a lot of genuinely lost details.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
So how does this work? Is it interpolating data to fill in more pixels, or is this data that's already present but obscured via Mode 7? Look at the Pilotwings comparison - there's a ton of detail on the landing strip that doesn't appear to exist no matter how hard you squint. Surely that can't be interpolation.
What you're seeing in the original is a large 2D tilemap that has been scaled down. This is just taking the original graphics before they are scaled, and doing it at a higher resolution so that less detail is lost.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From wikipedia:
"Mode 7 games include the titles F-Zero, Terranigma, Pilotwings, Yoshi's Safari, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time, Super Castlevania IV, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, DinoCity, HyperZone, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, the Super Robot Wars series, Super Star Wars, Chrono Trigger, ActRaiser, Exhaust Heat, Skyblazer, 7th Saga, Mega Man 7, Kirby Super Star, Axelay, SOS, NCAA Basketball, NHL Stanley Cup, Al Unser Jr.'s Road to the Top, Rendering Ranger: R2, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Zoku: The Legend of Bishin."

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this will look in games that hide/show identical sprites on top of a mode 7 background seamlessly, like SCV4.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of how it looks, but it's cool that it'll be an option for people.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa so that's what all those colorful pixels in Fzero were meant to be!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Never knew these were supposed to be buildings but thought those were circuitry/electronics, like you said.

It's really interesting because the example low res screenshot for F-Zero makes it look very convincing, with streets, blocks and even what looks a bit like 3D buildings, but in motion it looks flat because, well... it is flat due to Mode 7 limitations, and you're parallaxing all the time.

KBL0OSa.png

Joyful

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is pretty crazy upgrade

reminds me of when psx emulators added pgxp, hard to go back

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This is insanity. I hope Snes9x implements this rendering too.
Now I'm wondering if it's possoble to do the same on the saturn emulators with VDP2's planes which are like mode 7 on steroids.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It feels like that ds render upgrade, and how insanely high res some of those games were.