• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
This is an incredible achievement, the only negative i can see is in the F-Zero example there is a clash between the low rez horizon graphics that don't use mode7 compared to the rest of the track. It's a little jarring. Pilotwings and Mario Kart look amazing. If Nintendo have any sense they will hire the people who made this happen and get them to make a Nintendo Switch version of that emulator so they can pimp "enhanced" versions of SNES games for their online service. (spoiler alert: There is no chance in hell of them ever doing this sadly)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should have an online university for this kind of stuff. I'd pay for a subscription .

They have lots and lots of those online already, really. And some amazing books. If you like the above, read this:

51ECv%2Beq1SL._SX415_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's just a little more heady, but way, way more mind blowing.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
What about Street Racer? Terranigma underworld map? Super Turrican worm boss?

Street Racer is the best looking Mode 7 racing game on the system.

What? I don't think DKC2 made big use of Mode 7 if any.

Few-to-no portions of DKC2 would be affected. Some of the oceans in the background, or some of the more complicated backgrounds such as in Lockjaw's Locker would have some extra fidelity, but that would probably be it.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Of this thing that only just released to the public a few hours ago?

I just made one

It is mildly amusing to me how the greater fidelity exposes/highlights the instability of the underlying math of the player perspective moving around in this case. Either way, thanks! This is neat to see. Mario Kart would be cool to see video of as well, if it's not too much trouble.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Axelay doesn't use mode 7 for its primary effect, so it doesn't have any effect. It's a line scrolling effect rather than mode 7.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There's definite aliasing issues, and a bit of banding or dithering, looking at the water for Pilotwings, although that might be due to the smaller color palette.

But none of those problems are difficult fixes.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit at that DQ screenshot

and here i thought all the frontiers have been explored for 16 bit emulation

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
that pilotwings video is amazing

count me as another who always saw the f-zero backgrounds as weird circuitry-looking shit (despite knowing it was supposed to be cities or w/e) so the increased resolution isn't destroying the effect
dragon quest III
I have the impression that ff6 Will also look good in the airship
not as amazing bc the underlying assets aren't as detailed but still an improvement

D4O_StMVUAAW90q.jpg:large

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Looks like DQIII remake.

It looks amazing, though I kinda like the original anyway (and the zelda world map original for that matter), as it's as if you're so far up things have *gotten* blurry.

This is cool stuff
that pilotwings video is amazing

count me as another who always saw the f-zero backgrounds as weird circuitry-looking shit (despite knowing it was supposed to be cities or w/e) so the increased resolution isn't destroying the effect

dragon quest III

not as amazing bc the underlying assets aren't as detailed but still an improvement

D4O_StMVUAAW90q.jpg:large

Thanks y'all~ Never played the DQ III remake. Might want to now.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I get a different sized screen capture from the old bsnes compared to the recent build.
Anyway here a comparison with Street Racer:

2L4bigA.png

Y6Nic9y.png