• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think the reverse is true.
At least the dad-rock band I was mistaking them for write deep/meaningful songs about things that speak to the human condition without cliches. Not saying there isn't space for meaningless pop music, but a diet solely of that is not unlike an actual diet of only candy and bubblegum.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarh...rm-with-a-message-of-self-love-self-advocacy/

RM (Kim Nam-joon) serves as the point person for BTS Stateside, and was given the opportunity to speak in front of the United Nations' 73rd General Assembly's launch of UNICEF's (The United Nations Children's Fund) Generation Unlimited, a new partnership that aims to educate, train and offer quality employment to millions of young people around the world by 2030. During his time at the podium, RM discussed his early life and how he nearly gave up on what he wanted because of the "voices of others" but eventually overcame it and found a sanctuary in music after following the voice inside his head. He urged others to do the same and become their own advocates: "Tell me your story. I want to hear your voice, and I want to hear your conviction. No matter who you are, where you're from, your skin color, gender identity: speak yourself."

[...]

The group revisited the topic several times throughout their trip, including on GMA, where RM again explained their Love Yourself philosophy. "We thought that, you know, the most thing that especially the young generation needed is that true love begins, first begins with loving myself," he said about the album's message. "We thought that reminding [the] words of 'Loving Yourself,' it's not rare these days, now, but I think just reminding these words to the world could have some meaning to the ARMY and ourselves. So we thought true love first begins with loving ourselves and we're trying to love ourselves too, and I hope the ARMYs can do the same."

Like literally the first thing I knew about this band other than it being a worldwide phenomenon is that they use their platform to push hard on their messaging. Their freaking album titles reflect that, let alone the lyrics.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
I really dont understand all the hype behind these guys. They're okay and have some catchy manufactured kpop songs but worldwide phenomenon level? Nah.

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great summer bop, and the album is pretty good too. HOME is by far the best track on it; I like it more than Boy With Luv.
Nah this album is average and this single is meh. Like it's very standard pop music. Their best song is the Mic Drop Remix.

Blackpink (another Kpop) release an EP last week and has a much better sound.

As someone who really likes Blackpink, Kill this Love is pretty meh, though I do enjoy their live performances of it. I'd like them to stop having Teddy compose all of their songs; his songs all have the same structure and I'd like to see them try something different.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I think the reverse is true.
At least the dad-rock band I was mistaking them for write deep/meaningful songs about things that speak to the human condition without cliches. Not saying there isn't space for meaningless pop music, but a diet solely of that is not unlike an actual diet of only candy and bubblegum.

As far as equating their popularity to relevance, let's see if their popularity can sustain for more than a couple years before we declare them as the next biggest thing.

There's plenty of meaning in their lyrics though there's nothing wrong with a fun pop song.

Also they write a lot of their lyrics and take part in the music production.

They've been a group since 2013 and have gone from selling a few thousand copies of their first album to getting 3 million pre-orders of their latest mini album.

For instance here's a translation of Answer: Love Myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mwRYgMmSGE

[Verse 1: Jimin, Jungkook]
I'm opening my eyes in the darkness
When my heartbeat sounds unfamiliar
I'm looking at you in the mirror
The fear-ridden eyes, asking the question

[Verse 2: Suga]
Loving myself might be harder
Than loving someone else
Let's admit it
The standards I made are more strict for myself
The thick tree rings in your life
It's part of you, it's you
Now let's forgive ourselves
Our lives are long, trust yourself when in a maze
When winter passes, spring always comes

[Pre-Chorus: Jungkook, Jimin]
From the eyes of the cold night
I try to hide myself
As I keep tossing and turning ey
Maybe I fell in order to take the place of those countless stars
The target of thousands of bright arrows is me alone

[Chorus: Jin, Jungkook]
You've shown me I have reasons
I should love myself (oh)
I'll answer with my breath, my path

[Post-Chorus: V, Jungkook]
The me of yesterday, the me of today, the me of tomorrow
(I'm learning how to love myself)
With no exceptions, it's all me

[Verse 3: RM]
Maybe there's no answer
Maybe this isn't the answer either
It's just that loving myself
Doesn't require anyone else's permission
I'm looking for myself again
But I don't wanna die anymore
Me, who used to be sad
Me, who used to be hurt
It'll make me more beautiful

[Verse 4: J-hope]
Yes, I have that beauty
Knowing that is going
On the path to loving myself
It's what I need the most
I'm walking for myself
It's an action needed for me
My attitude towards myself
That's the happiness I need for me
I'll show you what I got
I'm not afraid because it's me
Love myself

[Pre-Chorus: Jin, Jimin, Jungkook]
From the very beginning
To the very end
There's only one answer ey
Why do you keep trying to hide under your mask? (hey)
Even all the scars from your mistakes make up your constellation (ey)

[Chorus: V, Jungkook]
I should love myself (oh)

[Bridge: Jungkook, Jimin, V]
Inside of me
There's still
That awkward part of me but (woah)

[Chorus: Jin, Jimin, Jungkook, V]
I should love myself
(I'm learning how to love myself oh)

[Outro: V, Jimin, Jungkook]
The me of yesterday, the me of today, the me of tomorrow (woah)
(I'm learning how to love myself)
With no exceptions, it's all me

From Spring day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEeFrLSkMm8

[Verse 1: RM, J-Hope]
Miss you
Saying this makes me miss you even more
Miss you
Even though I'm looking at your photo
Time's so cruel, I hate us
Seeing each other for once is now so hard between us

[Verse 2: RM]
It's all winter here, even in August
My heart is running on the time
Alone on the Snowpiercer
Wanna get to the other side of the earth, holding your hand
Wanna put an end to this winter
How much longing should we see snowing down
To have the days of spring, Friend

[Verse 3: Jimin, V]
Like the tiny dust, tiny dust floating in the air
Will I get to you a little faster
If I was the snow in the air

[Pre-Chorus 1: Jungkook, V]
Snowflakes fall down
And get farther away little by little
I miss you (I miss you)
I miss you (I miss you)
How long do I have to wait
And how many sleepless nights do I have to spend
To see you (to see you)
To meet you (to meet you)

[Chorus: Jungkook, Jin, J-Hope]
Passing by the edge of the cold winter
Until the days of spring
Until the days of flower blossoms

Please stay, please stay there a little longer

[Verse 4: Suga, Jimin]
Is it you who changed (Is it you who changed)
Or is it me (Or is it me)
I hate this moment, this time flowing by
We are changed you know
Just like everyone you know

[Verse 5: Suga, Jimin]
Yes I hate you, you left me
But I never stopped thinking about you, not even a day
Honestly I miss you, but I'll erase you
'Cause it hurts less than to blame you

[Verse 6: Jin, Jimin]
I try to exhale you in pain
Like smoke, like white smoke
I say that I'll erase you
But I can't really let you go yet

[Pre-Chorus 1: Jungkook, V]
Snowflakes fall down
And get farther away little by little
I miss you (I miss you)
I miss you (I miss you)
How long do I have to wait
And how many sleepless nights do I have to spend
To see you (to see you)
To meet you (to meet you)

[Bridge: V, Jungkook]
You know it all
You're my best friend
The morning will come again
No darkness, no season is eternal

[Pre-Chorus 2: Jimin, Jungkook, V]
Maybe it's cherry blossoms
And this winter will be over

I miss you (I miss you)
I miss you (I miss you)
Wait a little bit, just a few more nights
I'll be there to see you (I'll go there to meet you)
I'll come for you (I'll come for you)

[Chorus: Jungkook, J-Hope, Jin ]
Passing by the edge of the cold winter
Until the days of spring
Until the days of flower blossoms
Please stay, please stay there a little longer

From Baepsae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5efWmDqX3KQ

They call me a try-hard.
Our generation has had it hard.
Hurry, chase 'em,
thanks to those that came before us I'm spread too thin.
I've got a crow-tit's legs, and you have a stork's legs.
They all say their legs are worth a million bucks.
My legs are shorter, so how do you expect me to keep up?
They say it shouldn't matter since we're coming from the same place.
Never, never, never.
Change the rules, change change.
The ones who came before us want to, want to maintain.
But we can't do that, bang bang.
This ain't normal.
This ain't normal.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the term band insinuates they play instruments this is a pop group. At least the wiki says they co-write some of the music I guess.

Let's not compare a pop act to the Beatles who were an actual band of musicians. Groups like one direction, NSYNC are a much better comparison.
I'm not the one comparing them to the Beatles, nor the only one calling them a band.

BTS! We haven't seen boy-band fandom like this since the Beatles

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/bts-kpop-crossover-1.5097253 :
The global fascination with BTS is starting to resemble the scores of young fans who chased after The Beatles or One Direction.

https://www.eonline.com/ca/news/1032343/how-bts-became-the-k-pop-band-that-took-over-the-world
Now, the idea of a boy band taking over pop culture is nothing new, either. From The Beatles to NSYNC to One Direction, they've been doing it for years.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like an AI was fed the top pop tracks of the past decade and asked to produce a hit. Not feeling it Waffle, post more.
I agree with you to an extent, but I like the over-produced sound compared to the song in the OP. If you aren't liking this song, then you probably don't like the band then. I'm not hugely into Kpop, but I like to check out the popular acts once in a while.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah this album is average and this single is meh. Like it's very standard pop music. Their best song is the Mic Drop Remix.

Blackpink (another Kpop) release an EP last week and has a much better sound.

EXCELLENCE ONLY!

Probably the most popular girl group of our time and rightfully deserved too

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really dont understand all the hype behind these guys. They're okay and have some catchy manufactured kpop songs but worldwide phenomenon level? Nah.

Their songs address mental health, self love, and finding motivation to be a better person. The catchy beats are just ways to sell the music, but they are very much about their message first.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Their songs address mental health, self love, and finding motivation to be a better person. The catchy beats are just ways to sell the music, but they are very much about their message first.

That's fine and dandy but who outside of people who understand Korean actually knows that? Especially when they're huge in the US right now regardless of people not knowing what they're even saying.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine and dandy but who outside of people who understand Korean actually knows that? Especially when they're huge in the US right now regardless of people not knowing what they're even saying.

We don't live in the dark ages. People can look up the translations of the lyrics on their phones. It's not that hard to do it, especially if somebody likes how their music sounds.

And that's such a weird, almost xenophobic thing to say. People can like and listen to any music they want to with or without speaking the language. The United States doesn't have an official language. Americans can listen and like whatever music they want to. Why would you put down good, popular music for it being in another language?

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
We don't live in the dark ages. People can look up the translations of the lyrics on their phones. It's not that hard to do it, especially if somebody likes how their music sounds.

And that's such a weird, almost xenophobic thing to say. People can like and listen to any music they want to with or without speaking the language. The United States doesn't have an official language. Americans can listen and like whatever music they want to. Why would you put down good, popular music for it being in another language?

Lol no one is saying they can't. My question is what makes them (BTS) so special that 300m people are willing to look up the lyrics to their teeny bopper songs and translate it for themselves opposed to any other international artist. I just dont get what the big deal is about them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Huh... US artists are famous in countries that don't speak english, it's the same.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's really catchy

ITT:

297.png
You're giving them too much credit. They're actually just racists who can't deal with the fact that Asians can be as popular as their musicians.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My friends put me on to Kpop and my YT recommendations have been fucked ever since. BTS has lots of quality stuff if you can get over the language barrier.

HOME is pretty goooood.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol no one is saying they can't. My question is what makes them (BTS) so special that 300m people are willing to look up the lyrics to their teeny bopper songs and translate it for themselves opposed to any other international artist. I just dont get what the big deal is about them.

It's fine to not get what the deal is. BTS isn't for everybody.

Can't we say the same about really anything that becomes popular? Sometimes certain things hit at the right time.

And like I said, they have a good message. Good intentions paired with the entire group being hard working and honest about their own mental health issues can go a long way to endear people to them. Also, they don't work at one of the big three entertainment companies in S. Korea which makes them underdogs with an amazing success story.

I wouldn't really call their current lyrics to be "teeny bopper" but yeah sure do you. The bulk of their fans are in their 20-30s and the group members themselves are not that young.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Good for the boys getting amazing success, but they are riding on the popularity of their previous hits and a very dedicated fandom for the last couple of years.

If anyone is interested in the genre and wants to see everything it has to offer, you are welcome in the kpop thread.

Some sample of the most well liked recent releases in the thread:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, in some way yes.

You think they would have the same success if they were born in a poor country that doesn't speak english?

Hell, just change their ethnicity and keep everything else the same and they wouldn't have even had a fraction of the popularity and success that they enjoyed, and if they did they would have worked probably ten times as hard to get it.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... US artists are famous in countries that don't speak english, it's the same.
The same way people around the world have been listening for decades to music sung in English?

I'm seeing so much of that kind of response towards the rise of K-pop in the West. "i don't understand how people can like songs they don't even understand." As if English acts aren't huge in non-English speaking countries, and as if lyrical content is the only thing that matters.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Highly manufactured song with an extremely manufactured video aimed at specifically be liked to BTS target audience. Not really my thing even if I liked other songs from them.

Which is totally fine... I was crazy for Britney Spears as a kid who was as manufactured as BTS.

Disclaimer for those telling I'm an old man yelling at a cloud: I listen a lot of new and young artists

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The bulk of their fans are in their 20-30s and the group members themselves are not that young.
Clearly the Beetles only attracted the most sophisticated of fans. These Asian musicians are only popular because their fans are silly teenage girls. Because everyone is a silly teenage girl for liking things some™ of this thread's connoisseurs of music don't.
FAKE NEWS!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, stan Itzy.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
STAN LOONA. STAN RED VELVET.

Clearly the Beetles only attracted the most sophisticated of fans. These Asian musicians are only popular because their fans are silly teenage girls. Because everyone is a silly teenage girl for liking things some™ of this thread's connoisseurs of music don't.

Truly, the Beatles never had droves of wild, rabid young teen women chasing after them. Or songs written to appeal to a mass audience.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I actually like the melody. It's pretty generic pop stuff but it's good.

Their singing, dancing and rapping though - lol.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's defiantly not bad, but also not something stands out to me. Though, that is most music today IMO.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Okay, I just watched their SNL performance, and I'm not critiquing their actual musical content, but they were so obviously lip-synching. Not to mention, during their 1st song they had 3 backup singers.
If your band has 7 "singers", and you still need backup singers, don't expect me to take you seriously as musicians, much less performers.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I just watched their SNL performance, and I'm not critiquing their actual musical content, but they were so obviously lip-synching. Not to mention, during their 1st song they had 3 backup singers.
If your band has 7 "singers", and you still need backup singers, don't expect me to take you seriously as musicians, much less performers.

Go watch other performances. The SNL one is probably one of their worst performances imo

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I'm not the biggest fan of Halsey, but I had to check it out since it's a BTS track. It's pretty good and catchy. Halsey sounds great in this song

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
The song had a feature, they needed a female vocalist to do the Halsey parts, so they brought in someone else. And I've seen them live, they don't really lip-synch (RM is notoriously bad at doing this, so whenever he does in videos you can tell), but they do have a backing track for some parts since they need to take breathes while dancing.
Go watch other performances. The SNL one is probably one of their worst performances imo
I agree. The stage was small as hell for them to dance on. I can't wait to see their Korean promotions this week.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I never heard a single song of theirs until this song. Its very catchy and i also went to listen idol, and thats really good too.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who really likes Blackpink, Kill this Love is pretty meh, though I do enjoy their live performances of it. I'd like them to stop having Teddy compose all of their songs; his songs all have the same structure and I'd like to see them try something different.
Not to derail but every Blackpink single sounds like a 2ne1 b-side that yg buried years ago. I genuinely wish I liked them more

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to be performing at the Billboard awards with Halsey. I wonder if she will join in the choreography.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I cred is all you want, the group members are heavily intertwined in their own music, contributing to lyrics, composition and production. The member Suga has also made a pretty good name for themselves producing for outside artists as well.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
ok this is actually a banger and i'm not really well versed with k-pop

k-pop Era hit me up with the good shit please