• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mod Edit:
There is no reasonable defense that can be offered of Dave Chappelle's specific transphobic jokes. Defending his specific transphobic jokes will be treated the same as any other post in defense of transphobia from this point forward. You have been warned.

Netflix Brazil (so I figured it is up in all regions). Watching the first one right now. He is actually addressing the backlash on the trans jokes on the previous Netflix specials.

So go watch it and let´s talk about it here later.

See you guys in a couple of hours.

I only made this thread because all the threads that showed up in a search are locked. If this thread is not okay to make, mods can lock it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[whispering to date while watching Chappelle Netflix special when Chappelle first appears on the screen] That's Chappelle

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
11 minutes in and i'm laughing my ass of. God damnit i love Chappelle

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The Bird Revelation is interesting. It's more of a casual conversation with (or at) the audience than an actual routine performance. Not laugh out loud funny, but I'm glad I watched it.

Equanimity is exactly what his first Netflix special should have been. I kind of miss the old Dave Chappelle, but he was never going to make Killin' Em Softly again, so I'll have to let that go.

His Trump material here should satisfy people who thought he was too soft on him before.

Last edited:

UTiii

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ the first one I just watched is a fucking classic, equanimity.

As good as his old stuff, way better than the last two. Just finished watching and want more, thankfully there is another!!

Trans folk might not be too happy though.

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Just finished the first one, Equinimity. Really solid and funny from start to end.

Nos

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first one.
First half was insanely good, laughed my ass off. second half was too political for my taste.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
germany not up :(

edit: wait its up. Thought its all under the chappelle one with the 2 others but its a different one with the 2 new Stand ups.

Time to laugh !

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
Equanimity is amazing.
Very funny at first and then very smart.
Incredibly well written as always. He's not lying when he says he is too good at this shit!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Equanimity was indeed great. So many people are gonna get heated at his comments in it tho. Will watch the second later

But yeah the first was his best material he's had in this second wind

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Halfway into the first. Looks like he took some of the criticism from the trans-community to heart. He still jokes about them, but he doesn't use slurs.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trans folk might not be too happy though.

He talks about it and says he makes fun about everybody. So if anybody is offended AGAIN its time to get a new hobby because if you cant laugh about jokes just because its about you its time to do something else.

I'm from poland and there are so many jokes about us here in germany and you dont see me cry about it. If the joke is good i laugh about it. If its lame then its lame and it doesnt get a laugh from me. Simple.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He talks about it and says he makes fun about everybody. So if anybody is offended AGAIN its time to get a new hobby because if you cant laugh about jokes just because its about you its time to do something else.

I'm from poland and there are so many jokes about us here in germany and you dont see me cry about it. If the joke is good i laugh about it. If its lame then its lame and it doesnt get a laugh from me. Simple.

There's nothing good about a joke that boils down to "you're really just men haha". I haven't watched the specials yet, but if he's actually defending those jokes, then he hasn't learned at all

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

will watch the specials later but if all he had to say about those jokes is "i make fun of everyone so it's ok" he hasn't learned anything about why those jokes were messed up

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
will watch the specials later but if all he had to say about those jokes is "i make fun of everyone so it's ok" he hasn't learned anything about why those jokes were messed up

No he talks more about the topic. Dont expect him to say he was wrong because...as he says to the audience as a policy he doesnt feel bad about anything he says on stage.

Still watching the first special. So who knows how far he will go from here ^^

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You have get out while you're still winning. If you don't, that's how niggas get Kevin Hart'd"

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

That's not what he says at all. If anyone wants to know without watching the special:

He says he pissed off the trans community and tells the story of a letter a trans fan wrote him about how devestated they were by his material. The letter upset him and while he has a policy to not feel bad about anything he says or does on stage, he felt bad because they felt bad. He tells the joke he think hurt them (a bit about how he thinks Caitlyn Jenner posing nude would be gross, but mostly because he wouldn't have the strength to NOT look at them. This includes a bit about posing Hustler style, with spread lips and a hidden dick).

He said he reflected on the fact that he has a bunch of trans material and asked himself whether or not he has a problem with transgender peoples. He says no, he doesn't and clarifies that he believes they deserve dignity and safety. He also says that, as a black man, he wonders if this level of touchy discourse would exist if white men didn't want to transition. He asks "since when does America give a fuck how we feel on the inside". He goes into another bit about unknowingly dancing with a transwoman at a club, being surprised by that but taking her home and titty fucking her because "those breasts are as real as any others in LA".

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

You being okay with something is entirely different from another person being okay with a completely separate thing. Completely misses that we're allowed to react differently to different things, and it's pretty lame to reduce someone else's perspective like that.

Impressions here make the Equianiminity special sound stronger than the last ones though, gonna have to give it a try some time..

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem to be up yet on Finnish Netflix :(. Just came to my mind since I watched the Todd Barry special yesterday evening but didn't really feel it.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Midnight here in Aus. Just watched the first one - hilarious. Love the part about the civil rights movement.

UTiii

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second one not as good, not really a special but still interesting to listen to nonetheless. (Bird one)

First one will go down as a classic.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Watched Equanimity. Not entirely my style, but I can get why people would like him. There's some bits I found funny. The part at the end where he got dead serious was the highlight for me.

About those trans jokes though...

I don't feel like he really gets why he got backlash over them.

Bringing up Rachel Dolezal and connecting her to transgender people like he did was not cool. Yes, he backed out by saying he believes transgender people while he doesn't believe Dolezal, but that doesn't make the joke any less lazy or the comparison any less insensitive or harmful.

His comment on the backlash felt like feigned ignorance on his part - presenting his Caitlyn Jenner joke and acting as if that was what the backlash was about. I'll assume that he has some idea because his blatant man-in-dress jokes aren't anywhere in this special. I still didn't appreciate the post-op vagina 'hidden penis' joke or the 'cut their dicks off' throw-away line.

He also repeats the 'it's only a thing because white men want it' line, something that erases trans people of color and trans men. Even if it is 'just a joke', I feel like it is clearly informed by something he actually believes. I also do not like his statement that transgender people talking about their struggles or feelings is somehow 'insulting' to black people.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched Equanimity. Not entirely my style, but I can get why people would like him. There's some bits I found funny. The part at the end where he got dead serious was the highlight for me.

Bringing up Rachel Dolezal and connecting her to transgender people like he did was not cool. Yes, he backed out by saying he believes transgender people while he doesn't believe Dolezal, but that doesn't make the joke any less lazy or the comparison any less insensitive or harmful.

His comment on the backlash felt like feigned ignorance on his part - presenting his Caitlyn Jenner joke and acting as if that was what the backlash was about. I'll assume that he has some idea because his blatant man-in-dress jokes aren't anywhere in this special. I still didn't appreciate the post-op vagina 'hidden penis' joke or the 'cut their dicks off' throw-away line.

He also repeats the 'it's only a thing because white men want it' line, something that erases trans people of color and trans men. Even if it is 'just a joke', I feel like it is clearly informed by something he actually believes. I also do not like his statement that transgender people talking about their struggles or feelings is somehow 'insulting' to black people.
at this point, it's hard not to feel like he's actively trying to remain misinformed and ignorant on trans issues

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

It wasn't a joke and I think you're inferring the opposite of what he's saying.

He's not erasing anyone. He's saying this type of response to this material only exists because white men are in on it. If anything the commentary here is that he feels that if trans was racially exclusive to non-whites, this discourse would not be treated the same way.

He's completely right about that but think it was clumsy.

Last edited:

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

What the fuck.

Thanks for elaborating, I wasn't sure if I could watch this after rumors had been floating around that he was still using trans jokes as material. That is some....not good sounding stuff, especially including the sidelining of trans people of color. I think this will remain a pass for me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Halfway into the first. Looks like he took some of the criticism from the trans-community to heart. He still jokes about them, but he doesn't use slurs.
He wasn't joking there. It was an aside about the criticism he received. There was no punchline there.

That's not what he says at all. If anyone wants to know without watching the special:

He says he pissed off the trans community and tells the story of a letter a trans fan wrote him about how devestated they were by his material. The letter upset him and while he has a policy to not feel bad about anything he says or does on stage, he felt bad because they felt bad. He tells the joke he think hurt them (a bit about how he thinks Caitlyn Jenner posing nude would be gross, but mostly because he wouldn't have the strength to NOT look at them. This includes a bit about posing Hustler style, with spread lips and a hidden dick).

He said he reflected on the fact that he has a bunch of trans material and asked himself whether or not he has a problem with transgender peoples. He says no, he doesn't and clarifies that he believes they deserve dignity and safety. He also says that, as a black man, he wonders if this level of touchy discourse would exist if white men didn't want to transition. He asks "since when does America give a fuck how we feel on the inside". He goes into another bit about unknowingly dancing with a transwoman at a club, being surprised by that but taking her home and titty fucking her because "those breasts are as real as any others in LA".

Yep, this is exactly what he said when I watched him live this year.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Watched Equanimity and was laughing my ass off. Sometimes the things Chapelle is saying aren't even funny, but there's just something about his delivery that kills me every time. Great storyteller.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck.

Thanks for elaborating, I wasn't sure if I could watch this after rumors had been floating around that he was still using trans jokes as material. That is some....not good sounding stuff, especially including the sidelining of trans people of color. I think this will remain a pass for me.
Read the whole thread. The poster misrepresented Chappelles' statement heavily.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a joke and I think you're inferring the opposite of what he's saying.

He's not erasing anyone. He's saying this type of response to this material only exists because white men are in on it. If anything the commentary here is that he feels that if trans was racially exclusive to non-whites, this discourse would not be treated the same way.

He's completely right about that but think it was clumsy.

And that's ignoring all the people who are trans and not white who have problems with his jokes.

And he may not be willing to admit he has a problem with us, but when his jokes have boiled down to "You're just men in dresses", that's not showing us the dignity that he says we deserve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.