• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends (Switch) - EU November 19th / US 2020

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, I thought they were called Bub and Bob? whats with Bubblun and Bobblun? why are they wearing shoes and gloves like they're Sega mascots (they're not wearing that in the smash bros like cutscene they showed)? I don't really know what to make of this game
Those were always the name in Japan and the localizations would just change them to whatever and/or pretend they're different characters.

That look with the goggles started showing up in the smartphone era IIRC and I guess they're sticking with it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Those were always the name in Japan and the localizations would just change them to whatever and/or pretend they're different characters.

That look with the goggles started showing up in the smartphone era IIRC and I guess they're sticking with it.
I guess it shows that I haven't played any of it since the 80s other than like, puzzle bobble. Can't say im a fan of the smartphone redesigns.

Oct 25, 2017
“Bubble Bobble is an extremely popular title in Europe.”

Err... is it?
Absolutely. The original game was a massive hit in Europe and was ported to absolutely everything at the time.

Even Bubble Bobble Revolution and Bubble Bobble Double Shot on DS were originally developed with the European market in mind (the Japanese versions launched months later, and the American version of Revolution was almost a full year later with the added bonus of a game-breaking glitch), so yeah.

So is ININ Games at all related to Taito? They're sort of becoming a new Taito West or something since they're also publishing the Ninja Warriors game. Surprised the Darius and Space Invaders collections have yet to be announced by them for the west.

Really hope this is a retail release in NA. It is in EU, but you never know sadly. :(

Now do Puzzle Bobble on Switch next! I did get Puzzle Bobble 2 on Switch via ACA, neat little thing!
Yeah, ININ Games is a new joint effort between Taito and the German publisher United Games. http://www.inin.games/en/news/taito-is-back/

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
“Bubble Bobble is an extremely popular title in Europe.”

Err... is it? Still, always nice to see these kind of retro titles make a comeback. I remember playing the DS entry as a kid.
It was!

I played it unhealthy amounts of hours on my C64 and NES back in the eighties/early nineties, and the soundtrack is as iconic as the Mario theme for me. I’d be happy to see new iterations of the original game. Puzzle Bobble has been done to death.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands were two of my favourites back on the Amiga.

I always kinda preferred Rodland when it came to those sort of single screen games, but Bubble Bobble was great.
Rodland needs to get at least an arcade re-release. The group that owns Jaleco's catalogue does some business so it's not impossible.

terry clarke

Oct 31, 2017
I crave for the Taito of old to come out with some amazing new Ips but based on the classic games like rainbow islands, new Zealand story etc etc. I hope that all the new compilations as in Darius, Space invaders etc comes to the EU perhaps if this sells well the flood gates will open on switch. One thing I would say is these games should be marketed with an appropriate selling point of now more than say 24-29.99.