• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
One of my favorite series ever, and maybe the game I go for the hardest on my nostalgia. This title is a clusterfuck to read but is it saying I'll have to wait until 2020 in the USA?

This looks pretty good. Bubble Bobble with four players? Heck yes.
I thought the Wii one had 4 player too but I might be misremembering.

Edit: Square Enix own Taito, right? Do they just not use the parent company branding on their titles?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
now, we domnt have THAT but a new ish BB game and parosol stars coming to the west for the first timeon the PC Engine mini

i wasn;t the only one feeling an absence of Bub and Bob

Ahem ;)

26623-parasol-stars-the-story-of-bubble-bobble-iii-amiga-front-cover.jpg

50127-parasol-stars-the-story-of-bubble-bobble-iii-game-boy-front-cover.jpg

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
One of my favorite series ever, and maybe the game I go for the hardest on my nostalgia. This title is a clusterfuck to read but is it saying I'll have to wait until 2020 in the USA?

The XB360 had 4 player too, but I ain't dragging either of those machines out now. :)

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
As long as I can jump up against a wall and blow bubbles underneath me like in the NES version (but not the arcade one and Wii one), I'll be happy.

I'll probably get it day one, anyway, though nobody would play it with me except my mother lol.
You could still do that in the arcade and Wii versions but the timing was much more difficult.
It did on the new levels that were made for it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Bubble Bobble is related to Bust A Move, right? I would kill for a new one of those too, or even just a slimmed down mode in this game. Pleasantly surprised and excited for this announcement though.

Also, I always doubt myself whether it's Bust A Move or Bust A Groove.

May 24, 2019
Are Inin games anyone? I thought it might have been a Pastagames joint if they started using ploygons (or I was hoping it was from them. Play their Pang update, y'all)

May 24, 2019
Bubble Bobble is related to Bust A Move, right? I would kill for a new one of those too, or even just a slimmed down mode in this game. Pleasantly surprised and excited for this announcement though.

Also, I always doubt myself whether it's Bust A Move or Bust A Groove.

Bust A Move is Puzzle Bobble. Bust A Groove is the PS1 dancing game series.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Bubble Bobble might be the only reason I kept the NES Mini since I don't own the original cart. Totally going to check this out.

Oct 26, 2017
Bubble Bobble is Bubble Bobble. Most of the home ports are the same game, although some have additional levels.
Bubble Bobble 2 for NES is a very specific new Bubble Bobble variant.
Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 has nothing to do with Bubble Bobble except the protagonist (in human form this time).
Parasol Stars: Rainbow Islands 2 has nothing to do with Bubble Bobble OR Rainbow Islands in terms of gameplay.
Bubble Symphony was considered the actual arcade Bubble Bobble 2.
Bubble Memories was considered the actual arcade Bubble Bobble 3.
Then there was a ton of ports and variants on DS, PSP, X360 and Wii, with basically only the GBA version actually being a remaster of the original.

And then there's the Puzzle Bobble series, which was rebranded as Bust-a-Move, which was the music game series by Enix which was then rebranded as Bust-a-Groove.

Confused yet?

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Neat, these are always fun for a quick play or two (depending how quick I game over, lol)

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Are Inin games anyone? I thought it might have been a Pastagames joint if they started using ploygons (or I was hoping it was from them. Play their Pang update, y'all)

They're basically the new non-limited arm of Strictly Limited Games, I think.

Their only other product is Ninja Saviors, another Taito collaboration, and it's not out yet.

Apr 19, 2018
How did they not use the original theme song for the trailer? Best hope it's in the game proper. =\

Wasted so many quarters on the game in the arcades. I really enjoyed the GBA Advance remake "Old and New" as well, even if the zoom in/out feature took a bit of getting used to. The voices were irritating too, but at least you turn that off.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Played so much arcade Bubble Bobble. There was one at a local arcade I went to every weekend for about a decade.

I feel like they've never done right by that original arcade game and I don't expect that to change.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Taito games give me such nostalgia. Taito arcade machines were everywhere in the UK when I was just a tiny thing in the 80s. Nice to see the Bubble Bobble IP is staying alive.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I like Bubble Bobble but it's nowhere near as good as Parasol Stars. I really wish they'd put that up for download on PS4 or Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
"Bubble Bobble is an extremely popular title in Europe."

It's also an extremely popular title IN MY HEART

YEEEEE and it's out on my birthday woo!!

Very nice, very nice, I see you and raise/match you with my bois:

Unbox-Industries-Baby-Bubble-Dino-Twin-Pack-Ziqi.jpg

(I can't seem to find the picture of mine I took when I got them hmm)

Those are ugly as hell... but I kinda want them.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Those are ugly as hell... but I kinda want them.
How dare u, never talk to me or my children again ):<

(They're long gone, they're designer art toys by an artist named Ziqi Wu and produced by Unbox Industries. She does lots of Dino variants - candies, beer, ice cream, etc - and these were released as a set a few months ago. Sold out quick so your best bet is unfortunately eBay for outrageous prices :\ )

Oct 26, 2017
Man what a cool announcement! This is Taito's first new game in their new revival right? The Ninja Warriors game is a remake no?

So is ININ Games at all related to Taito? They're sort of becoming a new Taito West or something since they're also publishing the Ninja Warriors game. Surprised the Darius and Space Invaders collections have yet to be announced by them for the west.

Really hope this is a retail release in NA. It is in EU, but you never know sadly. :(

Now do Puzzle Bobble on Switch next! I did get Puzzle Bobble 2 on Switch via ACA, neat little thing!

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
If they were playing to nostalgia, why the hell wouldn't they include the OG theme, it's the one thing that makes me feel nostalgic for the series lol, certainly not seeing the gameplay hahaha

May 24, 2019
lol. that was my reaction.

like, in the 80's?? and how would they know?

did they ask people in the streets if they love bubble bobble?

I'm guessing with microcomputers there were probably twice as many ports for Pal territories. The Master System version's a great one. It also has one of the best Rainbow Islands.

e:
Hmm. There aren't actually as many British computer ports as there usually are for 80's arcade games.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
"Bubble Bobble is an extremely popular title in Europe."

Err... is it? Still, always nice to see these kind of retro titles make a comeback. I remember playing the DS entry as a kid.
The original Bubble Bobble was released on every European computer under the sun. Same with Rainbow Islands.
Very nice, very nice, I see you and raise/match you with my bois:

Unbox-Industries-Baby-Bubble-Dino-Twin-Pack-Ziqi.jpg

(I can't seem to find the picture of mine I took when I got them hmm)
...Where did you get these. I need them.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. There aren't actually as many British computer ports as there usually are for 80's arcade games.

It was on Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad, Spectrum and C64, plus the Playstation/Saturn ports which were also produced in Europe, there's nothing to suggest it was somehow lagging behind other games.

There's also Rainbow Islands which got all the same ports in addition to a European-made NES version, Parasol Stars which had multiple computer and console ports produced in and specifically for Europe, unrelated genre games like Rodland which had European-made ports, etc. Those games were popping for a minute

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought they were called Bub and Bob? whats with Bubblun and Bobblun? why are they wearing shoes and gloves like they're Sega mascots (they're not wearing that in the smash bros like cutscene they showed)? I don't really know what to make of this game