• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, I thought they were called Bub and Bob? whats with Bubblun and Bobblun? why are they wearing shoes and gloves like they're Sega mascots (they're not wearing that in the smash bros like cutscene they showed)? I don't really know what to make of this game

Those were always the name in Japan and the localizations would just change them to whatever and/or pretend they're different characters.

That look with the goggles started showing up in the smartphone era IIRC and I guess they're sticking with it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hope this is solid because I'd absolutely buy it. I need to wait and read about it first though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Those were always the name in Japan and the localizations would just change them to whatever and/or pretend they're different characters.

That look with the goggles started showing up in the smartphone era IIRC and I guess they're sticking with it.

I guess it shows that I haven't played any of it since the 80s other than like, puzzle bobble. Can't say im a fan of the smartphone redesigns.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

This thing gave me nightmare when I was young :O

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
"Bubble Bobble is an extremely popular title in Europe."

Err... is it? Still, always nice to see these kind of retro titles make a comeback. I remember playing the DS entry as a kid.

It was!

I played it unhealthy amounts of hours on my C64 and NES back in the eighties/early nineties, and the soundtrack is as iconic as the Mario theme for me. I'd be happy to see new iterations of the original game. Puzzle Bobble has been done to death.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands were two of my favourites back on the Amiga.

I always kinda preferred Rodland when it came to those sort of single screen games, but Bubble Bobble was great.

Rodland needs to get at least an arcade re-release. The group that owns Jaleco's catalogue does some business so it's not impossible.

Oct 31, 2017
I crave for the Taito of old to come out with some amazing new Ips but based on the classic games like rainbow islands, new Zealand story etc etc. I hope that all the new compilations as in Darius, Space invaders etc comes to the EU perhaps if this sells well the flood gates will open on switch. One thing I would say is these games should be marketed with an appropriate selling point of now more than say 24-29.99.

Oct 31, 2017
Well has anybody bought this game? Why no excitement or mention of it?

I am getting it from Game collection for 29.99 . this is a brilliant price coupled in with the full arcade game of the original.

I also want to support Taito on switch to bring Space Invaders collection/ Rainbow islands, Rainbow symphony, and Snow kids.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So has anybody bought this yet?

Surprisingly this is apparently actually pretty good

In Short: The best Bubble Bobble game in over two decades and while it isn't quite as perfectly formed as the original it is one of the best couch co-op games of the year.
Pros: The central gameplay and controls are perfect. Four-player co-op is a lot of fun and the level and boss design is good. Great music and the original coin-op is a nice bonus.
Cons: Too few stages and the non-hard mode is too easy. New emphasis on unlockable skills is an unwelcome change. No online options.
Score: 7/10

might actually pick it up now

Oct 31, 2017
What a game! Still has the fantastic addictive gameplay. (where did the hours go since I turned this on!)

Highly recommended if you love bubble bobble or old school games in general.

Added bonus is the full arcade game of the original in this package.

OP
OP
8bit

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
What a game! Still has the fantastic addictive gameplay. (where did the hours go since I turned this on!)

Highly recommended if you love bubble bobble or old school games in general.

Added bonus is the full arcade game of the original in this package.

How is the new version of the game? I read something about skills in it and was a bit put off.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Man I love those dragons but Puzzle Bobble is my jam way more than this. Taito quit making me wait and bring out a new Puzzle Bobble! Please?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Anyone know if the original arcade game is arcade perfect here? I'm glad to hear that the new mode is good but I'm buying this mainly for the original game. But I really need it to be arcade perfect.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The original Bubble Bobble was released on every European computer under the sun. Same with Rainbow Islands.

...Where did you get these. I need them.
Oh shit I don't know how I never saw this, they were released through Unbox Industries several months ago. They're sold out but you can find them on eBay for not much more than the set originally was, here's one that might even be under MSRP

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
It was!

I played it unhealthy amounts of hours on my C64 and NES back in the eighties/early nineties, and the soundtrack is as iconic as the Mario theme for me. I'd be happy to see new iterations of the original game. Puzzle Bobble has been done to death.

I'm french and it's same for me on Amstrad CPC and Atari ST. And i also plaed on NES and Master System.
Bubble Bobble was my favourite game as a child.

I agree the Music is very Iconic.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if the original arcade game is arcade perfect here? I'm glad to hear that the new mode is good but I'm buying this mainly for the original game. But I really need it to be arcade perfect.

It's emulated and does feel mostly arcade perfect, but the screen responsiveness and controls make it sliiightly less accurate. I'll have to compare with the PS4 ACA release, but it's not the same as playing with Sanwa controls on a CRT monitor, obviously.

Apr 19, 2018
Beyond the first world, there's no way to keep the new arranged version of the original theme song for the entire game, is there?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
I pulled the trigger and ordered an import copy. Figured this will be a fun game to have for the holidays with family and friends. =]

A bit off-topic, but I've never imported a Switch game card before. If the game somehow gets DLC or patch updates later down the line, how would it work when it comes to updating on a U.S. Switch system? Is it a simple matter of changing the system's region settings?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
A bit off-topic, but I've never imported a Switch game card before. If the game somehow gets DLC or patch updates later down the line, how would it work when it comes to updating on a U.S. Switch system? Is it a simple matter of changing the system's region settings?
I was able to nab the patches for Super Robot Wars T and V for my import copies from Asia without changing a thing in my system settings. As for DLC, that required setting up an out-of-region account... but you can easily keep eShop profiles from different regions accessible without tinkering with any other settings on the system.

Apr 19, 2018
I was able to nab the patches for Super Robot Wars T and V for my import copies from Asia without changing a thing in my system settings. As for DLC, that required setting up an out-of-region account... but you can easily keep eShop profiles from different regions accessible without tinkering with any other settings on the system.

Good to know. Thanks for the confirmation!

Oct 27, 2017
Well has anybody bought this game? Why no excitement or mention of it?

I am getting it from Game collection for 29.99 . this is a brilliant price coupled in with the full arcade game of the original.

I also want to support Taito on switch to bring Space Invaders collection/ Rainbow islands, Rainbow symphony, and Snow kids.

Sorry to ask, but do you have a link? This looks like a great price

Oct 31, 2017
Really hope Taito does well with this and brings us back Rainbow islands , parasol stars, snow kids, bubble symphony etc and Taito when is space invaders collection coming and darious??