• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bubsy_The_Woolies_Strike_Back_Artwork.png

Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back

Release Date: Tuesday, October 31 (Worldwide)
Platforms: PC (Steam), PS4
Price: More than Cuphead
Features: Wisecracks, Side-scrolling, Platforming, Woolies
PS4 Pro Support: lol

The game returns to the 2D side-scrolling platformer gameplay found in the first Bubsygames, Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind and Bubsy 2.

Full Trailer: https://youtu.be/_PRXy7qlszQ
Official Halloween Trailer (this is real): https://youtu.be/IH8hps9Thcw

PS4 Exclusive Limited Edition ($39.99):
51OSgjTAcRL.jpg

Mandatory Screenshot:
6a00d83452033569e201b8d28acc92970c-800wi

Announcement Accolades:
  • "Nobody wanted this" – Kotaku
  • "Bubsy … they're making another one of those" – Polygon
  • "Nostalgia mining reaches perilous low" – AV Club
  • "The annoying 16-bit platformer" – PCGamer
  • "This year *would* give us a new Bubsy game, wouldn't it?" – Destructoid

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's good. It's from the developer of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that one. This has potential to be the first good Bubsy game!

Oct 25, 2017
The Giana sisters reboot was pretty ok.
Looks like it's on the same engine with similar assets...it's kind of ugly but might not be complete garbage

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Hope it's good. It's from the developer of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that one. This has potential to be the first good Bubsy game!

I wouldn't bank on it. There're glitches & animation errors in the trailers alone.

If this does not have at least one Easter egg referencing Bubsy 3D Visits the James Turell Retrospective, something is deeply wrong.

The expression on the kid's Sonic costume in that Halloween trailer looks just like Bubsy's face in Bubsy 3D visits the James Turell Retrospective. It may just be poor animation, but I think we already have one!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
According to DidYouKnowGaming, the original Bubsy game was supposed to star Chester Cheetah, but the creator didn't want to pay for the rights.

That is already more than I ever wanted to know about Bubsy. I think we will all agree on November 1st that the best Bubsy game is still Arcane Kids' Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective.

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a Bubsy game but I can't wait to see Bubsy content on Giant Bomb and other sites!

Cbrun44

I want this to be good and am likely to pick it up even if average... but based on what we've seen I'm not expecting much. The lower price point for this particular game is giving me slight pause as it seems like this should be a digital only game that they are pushing physically to up the retail price.

But the hope is there.

Oct 27, 2017
Black Forest Games were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think what could possibly go wrong.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe this is a real thing.

I say this as someone who put countless hours into both the original and the sequel back when I was a child. Even then I knew that I was playing a trainwreck.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I feel like the sole reason this is happening is because all the retrospective vids popular YTers made a big deal of the games, particularly JonTron and such.

And the publishers assumed that those vids alone made Bubsy "relevant" again.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that a game like this is getting a physical release in 2017 is even more perplexing than that someone greenlit its creation.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
When streamer bait goes too far.

I feel like the sole reason this is happening is because all the retrospective vids popular YTers made a big deal of the games, particularly JonTron and such.

And the publishers assumed that those vids alone made Bubsy "relevant" again.

Dammit beaten.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
- Now, I know you love video games, and I asked the clerk: "Which is the one every boy wants?"

- You got me Crash Bandicoot?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
If it can get an average of 65 then I'll get it. Bubsy on the Genesis was a guilty pleasure of mine.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The developer's Giana Sisters reboot, which this basically seems like a reskin of, was pretty cool so I mostly expect this to just be aggressively mediocre. Which would be fitting for Bubsy.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bonk's revival cant even get released, while this has a collectors edition.

Something is wrong with this industry.

Kojirospath

Oct 26, 2017
I unironically liked the first Bubsy on the Snes, so I might get this if it's decent. They ruined his voice though, way too deep:(

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who actually enjoyed the original Bubsy game as a child, I will likely only check out a let's play of this game for curiosity sake. Best of luck to them though.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo those with the Giana Sisters comparison. That game was functionally alright but never really did much that was exception or particularly wowed me - I expect Bubsy to be similar.

The question is, will 'Not pretty but functions okay' let it review higher than Sonic Forces?

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I woke up to this thread and thought I was still dreaming, then went back to sleep. Now I know I wasn't dreaming after all, but the main question regarding this game is: WHY?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I looked at that lonely screenshot and I immediately thought it was them. Tbh it even seems to be recycling assets, which has been kinda their schtick for a while considering Dream Runners which reused every asset of the original and made a game that is fun in theory but is actually broken as hell.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The Giania Sisters game they put was actually fairly good, so this could be an enjoyable platformer. We'll see.