• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Surprised it's $40. That seems like overkill, and will likely hurt it a lot.
Im pretty sure the 40 dollar price is just for the physical collectors edition (and its BONKERS that im saying those words for a 2017 bubsy game of all things), the standard price is 30 bucks and i think the steam version will have a pretty big launch discount on top of that

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I had thought this was also coming to X1, but I guess I read the early news articles wrong. Didn't realize it was a PS4 exclusive, apart from the PC version.

Deleted member 15911

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's no Gex reboot, so this will have to do I guess.

In serious though, I am very much excited for this game. I loved the original Bubsy, and while I recognize all the other games after the first game were garbage, I still think this looks pretty good. I don't know if I'll be able to pick it up, but boy do I want to.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Bubsy's comments will probably get annoying fast, it's the sort of humor I don't care for, but they are amusing me somehow.

"It's not easy being your in-game avatar."

And yeah, best Bubsy game by a mile. Definitely.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have the Purrfect Edition preordered because I clearly hate myself.

10132.jpg

I hope your hope comes true. :)

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I just thought the video was funny because of how silly it was but I get that not everyone is a fan of when Patrick basically goes into "YouTube mode"

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the criticism of the franchise, the first title and the exclusive on Atari Jaguar are actually quite decent. The controls are iffy across the board but the music, gameplay, level design, and bosses are all quite fun. I feel like the notoriety around how bad the series is stems from Bubsy II and Bubsy 3D, which agreed are god awful, but wish people would give the other two titles more of a chance.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I liked the bubsy games when they came out... so I got the $40 PS4 physical copy (showed up today). However, I'm too scared to ruin Bubsy by cracking seal and trying it out.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is not going to be great. If it is I'll buy it just for it passing my expectations.

But if we bug him hard enough can we get woolie to do a vs play through on it?

Deleted member 15911

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this somehow does well... maybe someone will make a decent Rocket Knight Adventures?
It's still a konami title. That means it will never happen, since Konami still has that IP. And to be fair, Rocket Knight (2010) is a fair sequel to Sparkster. The majority of people dislike it for not being like the original and instead taking after its sequel.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of hilarious how much of this is a reskinned Giana Sisters. Bubsy's main movement options are the same as Giana just without the switching and that launcher breaks the same rocks. All those gems are the same.

At least it hopefully wasn't too expensive because of this.

Please watch Patrick Klepek's Bubsy stream, it is basically performance art

https://go.twitch.tv/videos/186583880

"Bubsy? HELL YEAH BUBSY!!! 100 PERCENT!!!"

Man that was one of the most annoying let's play-type videos I've ever seen lol.

Holy shit I had no idea YouTube Patrick was like that. That was horrific. It actually lowered my opinion of him. It was like a parody but real. His articles can be good and his regular speaking on stuff but most that Let's Play. I am astounded. Couldn't go on past a few minutes skipping around and its all so bad.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah, it's basically Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, that I found really boring both time I played the game (I really tried to give it another shot), too many collectibles to pick and uninspired platforming.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's basically Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, that I found really boring both time I played the game (I really tried to give it another shot), too many collectibles to pick and uninspired platforming.
I also tried Giana Sisters a few times, and found it a bit boorish, until by mistake I fired it up at 120FPS. Suddenly the game handled much better, and I didn't know why - I assume it's latency related. I went from just playing a few levels to playing through the game.

It's now one of my favorite platformers, I even place it above Mario World, my only complaints are that the levels aren't "predictable" like in Donkey Kong Land (aka. you can't always predict where the enemies are when they're off screen and you haven't played the level before, but Giana Sisters often gets close and it's thus fun rushing through levels you've never played before), and the that the end boss is slow to launch attacks, making the fight more boring than hectic.

I've never cared for collectibles, though, so I don't care about there being too much. I never collect everything anyway.

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
Look what showed up at my door...
bubsyiwu5n.jpg

Inside is this business card (which is totally going in my wallet):
bubsy3szur2.jpg

There's this postcard:
bubsy2e0upq.jpg

It also came with the soundtrack for the game. Overall, I'd say this limited edition is pretty darn cute.

Now time to play the game. What could possibly go wrong...?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Its astonishing how much of this feels like a Giana sisters expansion pack thats not near as good as TD or Owlverlord. Even some of Bubsys animations are straight up out of Giana Sisters

Robert Goode of the CAGcast is saying it's only about an hour long. Any truth to that?
My playthrough was an hour and a half and i spent the first hour of it getting all of the required collectibles in levels before feeling like that was getting dull and just rushing through stages. i would peg it at 1-2 hours if youre not doing the 3 challenges of each stage, and maybe like 3-5 if you are.

zodiac

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I had no idea YouTube Patrick was like that. That was horrific. It actually lowered my opinion of him. It was like a parody but real. His articles can be good and his regular speaking on stuff but most that Let's Play. I am astounded. Couldn't go on past a few minutes skipping around and its all so bad.

I was expecting something a little annoying, but got something that exceeded those expectations by miles. It did indeed lower my opinion of him.

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
This game pretty okay, I guess!

The Good:
-It's pretty fun looking for all the yarn balls, t-shirts, and keys in the levels.
-The soundtrack isn't bad either. I don't think I'll ever blast the CD in my car, but I enjoyed it.
-The self aware jokes made me laugh. "How am I gliding? I have no idea." "Remember when falling too far would kill me?"

The Bad:
-The game is short. Like, ridiculously short. If I didn't bother with the collectables, this game would've taken an hour tops.
-The pounce attack. I hate the pounce attack. It arcs just enough to fly over most enemies.
-This game isn't pretty. I just don't like the art direction for the game at all.
-Bubsy doesn't shut up. Remember the jokes I liked? I was sick of them by the end of the game.

The Woolies:
-Bubsy's death animation in this game is boring. I mean, I know it's just a death animation, so whatever, but still. The one thing I liked about the first Bubsy game were his death animations. They were all pretty creative an cartoony. This game has one and it's boring.

I know I had more negative things to say than positive, but I did l have fun. Kind of. I'd say it's the best Bubsy game, albeit that's not saying much.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
-This game isn't pretty. I just don't like the art direction for the game at all.
Black Forest Games' output all have this weird modern 90s Euro platformer look that I dont exactly love but at least fits with the rest of their games. It doesnt work for Bubsy but if this was actually an out of nowhere Pekka Kana or Kid Chaos revival instead itd be fine

Should be mentioned the soundtrack is done by Chris Huelsbeck (Turrican)
And Fabian Del Priore who did all the music for Giana Sisters DS!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pete Dorr has been streaming this on Twitch the last two days (he has one of the Bubsy 3D WR speedruns). It looks ok. The movement seems solid, even if the level design looks really basic.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like I'm the only that actually enjoyed Bubsy 1 on the SNES. Sure, it had some shortcomings, but overall I had a fun time with it.

The 2nd one was kind of meh, and 3D was really bad.

What's the price of this new thing?

edit: just saw the price on the OT, thanks but no thanks, Cuphead kind of spoiled me.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Its astonishing how much of this feels like a Giana sisters expansion pack thats not near as good as TD or Owlverlord. Even some of Bubsys animations are straight up out of Giana Sisters

My playthrough was an hour and a half and i spent the first hour of it getting all of the required collectibles in levels before feeling like that was getting dull and just rushing through stages. i would peg it at 1-2 hours if youre not doing the 3 challenges of each stage, and maybe like 3-5 if you are.

Are there really only 11 levels and the three boss fights are the same boss but with more attacks?

Giana comparatively had 23 levels for $15 I think and had the expansion of 7 more levels.

This game pretty okay, I guess!

-The self aware jokes made me laugh.

The Bad:
-The game is short. Like, ridiculously short. If I didn't bother with the collectables, this game would've taken an hour tops.
-Bubsy doesn't shut up. Remember the jokes I liked? I was sick of them by the end of the game.

So you liked the jokes, yet by the end of a super short game you hated them? Damning.

The promotion around this game like that Twitter account isn't half-bad. If they had the budget for an actual parody game instead of a reskinned Giana Sisters it would be way more interesting.

So if I like the way this play, that Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams game is worth picking up?

Definitely.