• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Bought the game, and I've just beaten the first boss. Better than Mario Odyssey.

Not really, it's pretty bad lmao. I can't get used to the controls, I keep trying to glide with the pounce button (why is pounce even a thing), and the glide does this weird double jump.

Let's say I was to get a bit of height off a high up enemy. I have to: jump, hit glide for extra height, land on enemy, hit glide again afterwards for the extra double jump but not the jump button that won't work.

The music isn't nearly as memorable as Bubsy 1, and I'm not a fan of the art style, but I'm a sucker for 16 bit sprites so I'm bias in that regard.

I get what they were going for in regards to collecting everything, but I much preferred the first game's approach of being more like Sonic, having different pathways through the giant levels. Bubsy would usually have a high or low path. In this game I have to check around everywhere for yarn balls and shirts. I haven't seen any doors or bonus rooms yet.

And to top it off, I paused the game to type this post and the pause menu is a hideous yellow color.

Edit: I also don't like the physics, the first game was more momentum based, which some hated and some loved. I loved it, and thought it felt unique to other platformers at the time. This just feels like a standard platformer engine with bad moves added in.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
So this game is better than everyone thought it would be?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Giana Sisters quite a lot and that design evoking a modern Amiga game really worked for me as I like those old euro platformers more then most. Busby however just looks an interior rip off of the same game. But that probably still makes it the best Busby title.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bubsy's comments will probably get annoying fast, it's the sort of humor I don't care for, but they are amusing me somehow.

"It's not easy being your in-game avatar."

And yeah, best Bubsy game by a mile. Definitely.

There is a slider in the options for how much one liners to want to hear. It goes from silence to Bubsy.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really wish this would come out on Switch. My SO has really fond memories of the original and I'd love to gift it to her.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That Gianna Sisters game a few years back wasn't amazing but it was way better than this seems. What happened?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
How short is this game? I saw reviews saying it can be beaten in your first play through in <90 minutes. Is that accurate? It's on sale for $20 on Steam, but man, I'd rather go spend $15 on a movie ticket for 90 minutes of entertainment than $20 on a 90 minute game... and I say this as someone that loved the original Bubsy game.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
How short is this game? I saw reviews saying it can be beaten in your first play through in <90 minutes. Is that accurate? It's on sale for $20 on Steam, but man, I'd rather go spend $15 on a movie ticket for 90 minutes of entertainment than $20 on a 90 minute game... and I say this as someone that loved the original Bubsy game.

If you speed-run through each level, I think around 90 minutes sounds about right.

Also, this game is trash. I liked Gianna Sisters and had some hope this would at least be similar, but man, it's just not good.

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey

I was watching someone speedrun this last night (i dont know why) and he already had it down to around 26 minutes. So something in the 90-120 minutes could be accurate.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I played a lot of the genesis Bubsy's and beat them. They are some of the worst games I've ever played, but for some reason I couldn't stop playing them. I won't make the same mistake I did as a child. ;~;

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
If you speed-run through each level, I think around 90 minutes sounds about right.

Also, this game is trash. I liked Gianna Sisters and had some hope this would at least be similar, but man, it's just not good.

I was watching someone speedrun this last night (i dont know why) and he already had it down to around 26 minutes. So something in the 90-120 minutes could be accurate.

I'll grab it on a Steam sale then. Not paying 20 for a game that short unless it is also absolutely amazing. Thanks.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It's kind of hilarious how much of this is a reskinned Giana Sisters. Bubsy's main movement options are the same as Giana just without the switching and that launcher breaks the same rocks. All those gems are the same.

At least it hopefully wasn't too expensive because of this.

Holy shit I had no idea YouTube Patrick was like that. That was horrific. It actually lowered my opinion of him. It was like a parody but real. His articles can be good and his regular speaking on stuff but most that Let's Play. I am astounded. Couldn't go on past a few minutes skipping around and its all so bad.

Seriously lol. I actually really enjoyed his Mario Maker playthrough videos but this was unbearable. Still an okay dude in my book though :)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Bought the game, and I've just beaten the first boss. Better than Mario Odyssey.

Not really, it's pretty bad lmao. I can't get used to the controls, I keep trying to glide with the pounce button (why is pounce even a thing), and the glide does this weird double jump.

Now you've done it. Box quote time!

Destined to be printed on the packaging for Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back: Game of the Year Edition

"Better than Mario Odyssey." -- ResetEra

Even Game Informer's review contains some choice phrases singing the praises.

"it has vibrant colors and a shiny coat of paint...a refreshing change of pace...a potential peer to the likes of Mario and Sonic." -- Game Informer

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Bubsy: TWSB or Smash Bros. Single Player screenshot...?

jrEMyDq.png

The Bubs-space Emissary

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Now you've done it. Box quote time!

Destined to be printed on the packaging for Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back: Game of the Year Edition

"Better than Mario Odyssey." -- ResetEra

Even Game Informer's review contains some choice phrases singing the praises.

"it has vibrant colors and a shiny coat of paint...a refreshing change of pace...a potential peer to the likes of Mario and Sonic." -- Game Informer
Hahaha, I'd give this game a Gold X award for sure.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I was considering getting this for a laugh, but if it's $30 for 1 hr, I can wait for a sale. Still, I'm glad to see some effort seems to be going out on the Twitter end! It's surreal seeing Bubsy come back, but expectations were low, so I'm not disappointed.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Hahaha, I'd give this game a Gold X award for sure.

;)

I'll wait for the GOTY edition.

You're in luck. With all of the rave reviews this game is racking up, it's sure to sweep the awards!

Case in point: PlayStation LifeStyle's utterly gushing review. I mean, you could click the link to read it for yourself, but I've saved you the trouble by distilling the relevant points into the following "box art ready" quotation.

"really satisfying...a lot of fun...a surprisingly enjoyable game.." -- PlayStation LifeStyle

I tell you, some of these review quotes are literally unbelievable!

TheMirai

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what's happening, everything is pain, this feels like a sick joke that's real and yet it exists despite all rational logic.

Actually, that sounds perfect for 2017.

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Well I beat it, not 100%. So time for a mini review, coming from someone who loves the first Bubsy and none of the others.

Bubsy Woolies Strike Back is one of the least fun games I've ever played. Note that's different to 'worst'. The game functions, there is definitely a game there, but it's all so boring and no fun at all. At least with other broken games you can usually have a laugh, like driving backwards in Big Rigs, or standing upside down in Sonic 06. There's not even anything to laugh about here.

The graphics and music are bland, the level layouts are annoying, the bosses take way too long, the game is incredibly short. The pounce move barely works how you want it to, and the controls in general are confusing. Somehow this game manages to do everything worse than the original did 24 years ago.

I saw some fact a while ago that Mario enemies are designed to be fat so they're easy to jump on. I remembered that as I was bouncing around trying to land the narrow Bubsy on a thin enemy. Gotta make sure I land on top of them though, the developers removed the ability to glide into the side of enemies from the originals.

The game feels like they outsourced a coder from some freelance website, then said "While you're at it can you design the whole game too." This game could be studied in game design classes for what not to do.

Tldr: Don't waste your money on this game. I wasted $40 AUD, just play the original on SNES if you're craving Bubsy that bad.

Forgot to mention, best part of the game isn't even part of the game. It's Bubsy's twitter account. It's like Sonics, but not as good. The story of Bubsys life.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get this game, but it seems that it wouldn't be worth it. I did 'enjoy' the first Bubsy on SNES when it came out. I can't remember why I liked it, but I did.

Really can't justify spending so much on a game that is apparently not that long, doesn't look to have anything that I liked about the first game going for it and is honestly, at best, just competent. Oh well.

I don't understand what's happening, everything is pain, this feels like a sick joke that's real and yet it exists despite all rational logic.

Actually, that sounds purrfect for 2017.
FTFY!

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That Gianna Sisters game a few years back wasn't amazing but it was way better than this seems. What happened?

The game was made on the budget of a Subway footlong sandwich, and it was seemingly made by people who were aware of Bubsy's bad reputation and weren't interested in trying to reverse that. Based on the playthroughs and impressions I've seen/read, it's a reskin of their Gianna Sisters game with a fraction of the content and doesn't really capitalize or improve on the Bubsy IP in any meaningful way. It would had been passable --not incredible, but passable-- for a $10 game; but for a game that has a $30/$40 asking price it's pretty damn ridiculous.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

With Giana Sisters the devs were at least willing to stretch themselves in terms of what abilities their characters had, plus you have the separation between the two forms and how that affects the world, so there were at least novel mechanics that they could build the game around, and maybe have the player stop to think about what they're doing in order to progress or find all the secrets. After watching some of the gameplay from the new Bubsy game, it seems most interested in recreating the gameplay of the original which wasn't great to begin with really, and doesn't offer much outside of purely moving forward in simplified architecture. Now, one can still make a game out of that - Nintendo became one of the biggest names in the industry through one man's ability to jump - but it requires skill.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IGN's video review uses a familiar title card in it.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
After watching some of the gameplay from the new Bubsy game, it seems most interested in recreating the gameplay of the original which wasn't great to begin with really.

Nah, this new game feels nothing like the SNES game and a whole lot like a bootlegged Russian reskin of the Giana Sisters game; they didn't even attempt to replicate the original game.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this new game feels nothing like the SNES game and a whole lot like a bootlegged Russian reskin of the Giana Sisters game; they didn't even attempt to replicate the original game.

The gameplay, not the visuals. Hence Bubsy's abilities stick to his pounce and his glide as his main gimmicks (though whether or not how they feel is accurate is a matter of the physics engine - original Bubsy looks a lot faster), rather than something like Giana Sisters giving you the ability to bounce off the walls or alter the level design at will. Sticking to Bubsy's OG controls and abilities is sticking to fairly basic stuff.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The gameplay, not the visuals. Hence Bubsy's abilities stick to his pounce and his glide as his main gimmicks (though whether or not how they feel is accurate is a matter of the physics engine - original Bubsy looks a lot faster), rather than something like Giana Sisters giving you the ability to bounce off the walls or alter the level design at will. Sticking to Bubsy's OG controls and abilities is sticking to fairly basic stuff.
the new pounce is just punk gianas fireball move without the rebounding off surfaces and his glide, while a move from previous games, works exactly like cute gianas tornado spin. The level design is nothing like the original bubsys sonic-style mazes. This is just a lesser giana sisters level pack with some bubsy assets grafted on top through and through

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
the new pounce is just punk gianas fireball move without the rebounding off surfaces and his glide, while a move from previous games, works exactly like cute gianas tornado spin. The level design is nothing like the original bubsys sonic-style mazes. This is just a lesser giana sisters level pack with some bubsy assets grafted on top through and through

Fair enough - it has been a while since I played Giana Sisters, so most of what I remember is just what stuck out about it.

Still curious to see how it reviews vs Forces.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i wish this game was on xbox

so i could gift it to people i dont like

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Fair enough - it has been a while since I played Giana Sisters, so most of what I remember is just what stuck out about it.

Still curious to see how it reviews vs Forces.
interested to see that too particularly since i think both games have the exact same issue of "well this is competent enough on a base level but the game yall made is profoundly boring to play"

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this brings back memories of the original game. It seems to get a lot of hate but I liked it! I don't think I'll buy this though, maybe rent it just to see how bad it is.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Well, I beat it. It didn't take long, but I did it. I didn't have any fun while doing so.

This game is like a bad PSone game. It's ugly, has bad controls and is the same thing over and over again. The boss battles are the worst of it all, namely the second.

Just...awful.