• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Buffalo Wild Wings Employee Killed in Chemical Incident

Sanjuro

Member
Oct 25, 2017
14,312
Massachusetts



1 dead, several ill after chemical accident at Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts

Authorities in Burlington are calling it a Tier 1 hazmat incident after a chemical mixture killed one worker and sickened eight others.

Hazardous materials technicians and officials at a Buffalo Wild Wings location in Burlington, Massachusetts, where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent.NBC Boston

One person was killed in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings location Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts.
A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being "exposed to a strong cleaning agent" and died shortly thereafter, the Burlington Fire Department said in a statement. The worker told firefighters who arrived on the scene that he was feeling nauseous after breathing in fumes.

"Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately," the department said.
John M. Guilfoil, a spokesman for the fire department, said on Twitter that six patrons and two other employees were seeking treatment at a hospital.

The building was evacuated at about 6 p.m. for a Tier 1 hazmat incident, according to NBC Boston.

The fire department that there was no active threat to public safety and that the investigation was ongoing. It said the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration had been notified.
Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement Thursday evening that it was referring questions to local authorities.
"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation," the company said.
This is a developing story.
 

SmiteOfHand

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,548
" where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent. "

Someone fucked up with ammonia and bleach, didn't they
 

Border

Member
Oct 25, 2017
9,464
I thought most restaurants avoided this by simply refusing to stock bleach or ammonia (or both).
 

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3,679
" where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent. "

Someone fucked up with ammonia and bleach, didn't they
I'm trying to think of what might produce as harsh a reaction with what they'd have on hand... yeah that fits. Unless they mixed chlorine with acid.
 

SmiteOfHand

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,548
I'm no chemist but I've always wondered if something could be added to the bigger common cleaners, like the rotten egg smell added to natural gas, so that if someone mixes it turns it a vile green or smokes or something that would cause alarm. It is so fucking easy for someone to stumble into and have no idea what they just did. Fucking awful.
 

Citizencope

Member
Oct 28, 2017
2,007
I just ate at that spot recently.
Heard some customers only knew to exit when the Fire Department showed up with respirators on. Wtf!
 

KHarvey16

Member
Oct 27, 2017
7,946
I'm no chemist but I've always wondered if something could be added to the bigger common cleaners, like the rotten egg smell added to natural gas, so that if someone mixes it turns it a vile green or smokes or something that would cause alarm. It is so fucking easy for someone to stumble into and have no idea what they just did. Fucking awful.
It’s actually kind of hard to screw up too bad with household cleaners. In most cases you’ll notice badly irritated eyes and throat before it gets too dangerous, then you can ventilate and be ok. Large quantities or concentrations beyond the typical stuff you buy at the grocery store could be a different story and that might be the case here.
 

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Member
Oct 25, 2017
3,881
Texas
It’s actually kind of hard to screw up too bad with household cleaners. In most cases you’ll notice badly irritated eyes and throat before it gets too dangerous, then you can ventilate and be ok. Large quantities or concentrations beyond the typical stuff you buy at the grocery store could be a different story and that might be the case here.
Yeah stuff in restaurants, grocery stores (staff cleaning), etc., usually is highly concentrated and mixed on the spot for use.

Still I don’t know how they would have mixed like that. Usually there are special dispensers the bottles are attached to and then when you’re filling a separate bottle for actual use, the dispenser mixes the appropriate concentration.
 

Z-Beat

Member
Oct 25, 2017
16,017

Dremorak

Member
Oct 25, 2017
3,102
New Zealand
"franchise-owned sports bar"
Holy shit, really??

They felt the need to clarify that when saying, sorry someone died??
"We're really sorry that someone died in a building with our logo on it that we have no relation to, legally"

Hope the others make it through
 

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1,625
RIP. This is terrible. I work right down the street from here, been there a number of times.
 

devilhawk

Member
Oct 27, 2017
646
Bleach and ammonia don't make mustard gas. They make chlorine gas which also can be deadly.

It seems like BWW is already is trouble as it was, with all their commercials screaming "Please show up and buy something, anything, just not wings.
 

thefit

Member
Oct 25, 2017
4,371
even the smallest amount of ammonia will knock you back good, that stuff is no joke.
 

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Member
Oct 25, 2017
3,881
Texas
Sells unlikely it was that if they're saying there's no public health threat.
Well it was enclosed within the restaurant. At some point yeah it’ll dilute enough. But I’m pretty sure in that article it did advise anyone that was in the restaurant that feels anything to seek immediate medical attention.

It’s certainly possible that there would be a high enough concentration in the staff area, then lower in the restaurant, then no real further outside threat. But I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough what the chemical was.
 

Aurongel

Member
Oct 28, 2017
3,027
Guessed chlorine gas before reading the article. It’s an awful way to go, RIP to that poor employee.
 

SmiteOfHand

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,548
It’s actually kind of hard to screw up too bad with household cleaners. In most cases you’ll notice badly irritated eyes and throat before it gets too dangerous, then you can ventilate and be ok. Large quantities or concentrations beyond the typical stuff you buy at the grocery store could be a different story and that might be the case here.
The common scenario I've heard in homes is people cleaning up a lot of pet urine with bleach though I've never been clear what sort of volumes are being talked about.

Still makes me triple check before cleaning up after a pet.
 

MajesticSoup

Member
Feb 22, 2019
965
You guys remember that gaf thread about the guy working at a theater and some dumb teenage girl start spraying him with industrial cleaner cause she thought it was funny. Ended up blinding him completely.
Anyways. Companies really need to be accountable for leaving dangerous chemicals around workers that never got properly trained to handle.
 

TAJ

Member
Oct 28, 2017
5,639
Bleach and ammonia don't make mustard gas. They make chlorine gas which also can be deadly.

It seems like BWW is already is trouble as it was, with all their commercials screaming "Please show up and buy something, anything, just not wings.
They don't make chlorine gas, either, but they do make a laundry list of other toxic gases that I'd never heard of.
 

steejee

Member
Oct 28, 2017
1,768
I had some pithy jokes ready to go, but just can't. Hope the other employees pull through.

Crazy timing as I just had wings tonight for the first time in line 6 months, and had no idea we even had BWW in MA.

As I type this story just popped up on evening news after football.

Edit: lordy, news says newly married with newborn. "Sodium hypochlorite" 'Super 8' cleaner. Were cleaning floors, deceased was trying to clean up another employees use. Maybe didn't dilute?
 

SapientWolf

Member
Nov 6, 2017
3,182
I think any acid can cause the formation of chlorine gas. For example, chlorine and hydrochloric acid found in toilet cleaners. It's an easy mistake to make.
 

iamaustrian

Member
Nov 27, 2017
1,081
" where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent. "

Someone fucked up with ammonia and bleach, didn't they
this
chloric gas probably

We had one guy getting killed at our public community pool. He didn't notice anything at first; 24hours later he began to cough blood and died pretty much immediatly :(
 

kIdMuScLe

Member
Oct 27, 2017
643
Damn wonder if it was trying to clean up piss in the bathroom. I found that out the hard way with bleach and urine.
 

lenovox1

Member
Oct 26, 2017
3,808
You guys remember that gaf thread about the guy working at a theater and some dumb teenage girl start spraying him with industrial cleaner cause she thought it was funny. Ended up blinding him completely.
Anyways. Companies really need to be accountable for leaving dangerous chemicals around workers that never got properly trained to handle.
They are. But the OSHA guidelines don't go far enough, labeling guidelines don't go far enough, and there's little-to-no federal oversight on anything.