• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

1 dead, several ill after chemical accident at Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts

Authorities in Burlington are calling it a Tier 1 hazmat incident after a chemical mixture killed one worker and sickened eight others.

Hazardous materials technicians and officials at a Buffalo Wild Wings location in Burlington, Massachusetts, where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent.NBC Boston

One person was killed in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings location Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts.
A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being "exposed to a strong cleaning agent" and died shortly thereafter, the Burlington Fire Department said in a statement. The worker told firefighters who arrived on the scene that he was feeling nauseous after breathing in fumes.

"Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately," the department said.
John M. Guilfoil, a spokesman for the fire department, said on Twitter that six patrons and two other employees were seeking treatment at a hospital.

The building was evacuated at about 6 p.m. for a Tier 1 hazmat incident, according to NBC Boston.

The fire department that there was no active threat to public safety and that the investigation was ongoing. It said the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration had been notified.
Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement Thursday evening that it was referring questions to local authorities.
"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation," the company said.
This is a developing story.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
" where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent. "

Someone fucked up with ammonia and bleach, didn't they

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought most restaurants avoided this by simply refusing to stock bleach or ammonia (or both).

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm trying to think of what might produce as harsh a reaction with what they'd have on hand... yeah that fits. Unless they mixed chlorine with acid.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no chemist but I've always wondered if something could be added to the bigger common cleaners, like the rotten egg smell added to natural gas, so that if someone mixes it turns it a vile green or smokes or something that would cause alarm. It is so fucking easy for someone to stumble into and have no idea what they just did. Fucking awful.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I just ate at that spot recently.
Heard some customers only knew to exit when the Fire Department showed up with respirators on. Wtf!

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm no chemist but I've always wondered if something could be added to the bigger common cleaners, like the rotten egg smell added to natural gas, so that if someone mixes it turns it a vile green or smokes or something that would cause alarm. It is so fucking easy for someone to stumble into and have no idea what they just did. Fucking awful.

It's actually kind of hard to screw up too bad with household cleaners. In most cases you'll notice badly irritated eyes and throat before it gets too dangerous, then you can ventilate and be ok. Large quantities or concentrations beyond the typical stuff you buy at the grocery store could be a different story and that might be the case here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's actually kind of hard to screw up too bad with household cleaners. In most cases you'll notice badly irritated eyes and throat before it gets too dangerous, then you can ventilate and be ok. Large quantities or concentrations beyond the typical stuff you buy at the grocery store could be a different story and that might be the case here.
Yeah stuff in restaurants, grocery stores (staff cleaning), etc., usually is highly concentrated and mixed on the spot for use.

Still I don't know how they would have mixed like that. Usually there are special dispensers the bottles are attached to and then when you're filling a separate bottle for actual use, the dispenser mixes the appropriate concentration.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
"franchise-owned sports bar"
Holy shit, really??

They felt the need to clarify that when saying, sorry someone died??
"We're really sorry that someone died in a building with our logo on it that we have no relation to, legally"

Hope the others make it through

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP. This is terrible. I work right down the street from here, been there a number of times.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Bleach and ammonia don't make mustard gas. They make chlorine gas which also can be deadly.

It seems like BWW is already is trouble as it was, with all their commercials screaming "Please show up and buy something, anything, just not wings.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
even the smallest amount of ammonia will knock you back good, that stuff is no joke.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sells unlikely it was that if they're saying there's no public health threat.
Well it was enclosed within the restaurant. At some point yeah it'll dilute enough. But I'm pretty sure in that article it did advise anyone that was in the restaurant that feels anything to seek immediate medical attention.

It's certainly possible that there would be a high enough concentration in the staff area, then lower in the restaurant, then no real further outside threat. But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough what the chemical was.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guessed chlorine gas before reading the article. It's an awful way to go, RIP to that poor employee.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The common scenario I've heard in homes is people cleaning up a lot of pet urine with bleach though I've never been clear what sort of volumes are being talked about.

Still makes me triple check before cleaning up after a pet.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Happened one time at a grocery store I worked at. Luckily a manager caught it right away and there was a door near by to vent it.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
You guys remember that gaf thread about the guy working at a theater and some dumb teenage girl start spraying him with industrial cleaner cause she thought it was funny. Ended up blinding him completely.
Anyways. Companies really need to be accountable for leaving dangerous chemicals around workers that never got properly trained to handle.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bleach and ammonia don't make mustard gas. They make chlorine gas which also can be deadly.

It seems like BWW is already is trouble as it was, with all their commercials screaming "Please show up and buy something, anything, just not wings.

They don't make chlorine gas, either, but they do make a laundry list of other toxic gases that I'd never heard of.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I had some pithy jokes ready to go, but just can't. Hope the other employees pull through.

Crazy timing as I just had wings tonight for the first time in line 6 months, and had no idea we even had BWW in MA.

As I type this story just popped up on evening news after football.

Edit: lordy, news says newly married with newborn. "Sodium hypochlorite" 'Super 8' cleaner. Were cleaning floors, deceased was trying to clean up another employees use. Maybe didn't dilute?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think any acid can cause the formation of chlorine gas. For example, chlorine and hydrochloric acid found in toilet cleaners. It's an easy mistake to make.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

this
chloric gas probably

We had one guy getting killed at our public community pool. He didn't notice anything at first; 24hours later he began to cough blood and died pretty much immediatly :(

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
You guys remember that gaf thread about the guy working at a theater and some dumb teenage girl start spraying him with industrial cleaner cause she thought it was funny. Ended up blinding him completely.
Anyways. Companies really need to be accountable for leaving dangerous chemicals around workers that never got properly trained to handle.

They are. But the OSHA guidelines don't go far enough, labeling guidelines don't go far enough, and there's little-to-no federal oversight on anything.