• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can already see the harassment coming...

I think this is a shit idea. Not the casting, the whole reboot. Ughh.
Yeah, I think they're setting up POC actors in a bad spot to begin with before anybody has even seen the show yet.

Also instead of rehashing old stories, if they wanted a Black woman in an iconic role as a vampire slayer they should've licensed and adapted the best selling book series The Vampire Huntress Legend which has an African American female lead.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
R.I.P.

I'll always have fond memories of Buffy, dunno if I like the idea of a reboot, even if I actually don't remember even half of the og series.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that season where Buffy was dead and the Scooby Gang thought they were doing a good thing by resurrecting her, but then you find out she was happy being dead and she resents her friends for bringing her back?

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God. No.

A reboot is such a dumb idea. Just give us a new slayer. Ask SMG to come back for a few episodes to teach the newbie. Make shit up why evil is back and stuff.

But a total reboot? Nah.
We haven't even gotten a good (meaning nice clean up and 4:3) blu ray/4K version of OG buffs yet .-.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I'll check it out.

They shouldn't just make a new slayer called Buffy. I mean she's not gonna be the same character, it won't be the same era, and the mythology of the show explicitly allows for new slayers to come and succeed the old ones so why isn't it just [new character] the vampire slayer?

The amount of kickback they're gonna get for seeming to replace the old character will probably negate whatever attention they get for name recognition of Buffy. If you call it X the Vampire Slayer people will still know the vampire slayer bit. You could also easily stick in a cameo or supporting role with someone from the old shows to help boost that. I mean not Spike or Angel cos the actors are too old now but there's no reason Giles or Buffy herself couldn't show up to serve that purpose in the early going.

Why won't they just do a continuation of the the world of the show instead of always trying to overwrite everything? It's stupid.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this will lead to them finally releasing Buffy on Bluray.

Really want to rewatch the show, pissed they took it off Netflix.

And did Whedon just say a few months ago how he would hate to see a Buffy reboot?

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned Jennifer Parker Kennedy earlier... she's on The Flash right now play Barry's future daughter
I could somehow see her playing a Slayer on this show

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good, do it. Make it have small cameos from the original cast and Buffy in the Watcher/Mentor role. The old series is great and is this ends up bad it doesn't matter.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
And did Whedon just say a few months ago how he would hate to see a Buffy reboot?
1302083.gif

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
They should just do a new series with new slayers set years down the road (which is already true) in the same universe. That way , you keep the continuity and you can even have a cameo now and then.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A new show with a new slayer, yes.

Remake of the old one.... that will be way too weird.

Buffy is those kind of "response art" that is tied so strongly to it's time that the new show will pratically have to start from scratch to make it work.
Like buffy needs to be overweight or wheelchair bound. Just a cheerleader looking girl that kicks ass is not a big concept nowadays =P

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
This is blasphemy. I think it's extremely unlikely it'll remotely measure up to the highs of the original show.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe that nothing can beat the synergy the actors of buffy, willow and xander had.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
If he's on board and someone from Shield is involved I can stand to see how it goes before decrying it.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alyson Hannigan doesn't age... she can easily make a guest appearance, even if it's not Willow

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
No. No. No, no. Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono. Nope. Definitely not. No. Fuck off with this shit.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with it.

I mean, the one everybody likes is a reboot in the first place.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Network TV dramas mostly stuck and it being about teenagers will probably morph to a stupid power-soap. Sure, i'll give it a try but i'll echo the preference of it being a continuation with a new character.

Or wait few years and cast Gellar's daughter

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Why not a new series with a new slayer instead ? or why not continue Angel ? I don't really need a Buffy reboot.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joss what r u doin'. Rebooting the show just for the purpose of having a "diverse cast" this time around is a terrible terrible idea. Either continue the original show or (preferably) just leave it alone.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP needs updating

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: "Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today."

Looks like it's not a remake but a universe continuation.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
I love Buffy. But I don't feel like the show needs a reboot of the character right now. It just feels to early. or I'm just old. Who knows.
On the other hand I wouldn't mind them to reboot the Slayerverse and concept, but with a different protagonist and different characters. Not even would that give the creators much more creative freedom with an established universe mythology and less criticism, but also attract oldtime fans more, while also introducing new people into the fandom.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The only way I can see this being successful in its own right is if it's sold as a "reimagined" version, much as the new Star Trek films essentially rebooted the same familiar crew characters on an alternative timeline. The in-universe presence of Leonard Nimoy certainly helped to make that film a successful reboot, and I imagine somebody like Alyson Hannigan or Tony Head could similarly act as a bridging character here.

The continuation of the canon of the original universe in the comics would help here, providing fertile ground for new characters and new monsters which modern CGI could render.

A black Buffy sounds more difficult to fit into this reboot model, but it's not completely impossible. With the right lead actress, that's half the battle.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Guys

Buffy as a show was great but it's not something so unique that it can't be repeated

The only way I can see this being successful in its own right is if it's sold as a "reimagined" version, much as the new Star Trek films essentially rebooted the same familiar crew characters on an alternative timeline. The in-universe presence of Leonard Nimoy certainly helped to make that film a successful reboot, and I imagine somebody like Alyson Hannigan or Tony Head could similarly act as a bridging character here.

The continuation of the canon of the original universe in the comics would help here, providing fertile ground for new characters and new monsters which modern CGI could render.

A black Buffy sounds more difficult to fit into this reboot model, but it's not completely impossible. With the right lead actress, that's half the battle.

Buffy does not need a time travel plotline to be rebooted.

This ain't a sacred universe

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Being a slayer is understandably a lonely job which is why Buffy and Giles were unique in pushing for and condoning a social life.

I'm really curious how they will tackle Buffy being a black girl because this can be really as thought provoking as the previous show used to be.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I feel you guys forget how old you are lol.

The show is over 20 years old. Many don't even know the original series existed. It's not for you. The original is still available if you want to relive your memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.