• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
why couldn't they have simply soft-rebooted by doing Faith the Vampire Slayer? That would have been so much better.

In any case, this could be good. But having someone from Agents of Shiled running this does not inspire hope. I've said it before, but Rob Thomas, the creator of Veronica Mars and iZombie, would have been perfect to handle Buffy.

Someone hasn't watched AoS in 4 years, I take it. :P

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sounds good, it's not like the old show will suddenly not exist or anything.

Some aging fans probably dont get that the early seasons where computer/internet use is depicted as a mystic science only usable by the smart characters doesn't really work for an audience of young teenagers that won't even remember life before smartphones by the time it's released. Xander comes across as creepy in the 'Nice guy' internet era and Giles as less archaic and more just having skipped childhood for being a middle-aged British member of a global secret society in 2018 that can't even turn a computer on. There's no way that works in the modern era, but just as the late 90s had Buffy and co use the tech of the time to gain an advantage, that's something that can be updated to make it relevant to modern teens.

The most popular superhero stuff gets rebooted all the time. The characters that today's young MCU/X-men fans love are very different to the comics characters I loved in the 80s, and that's OK, I can reread the old stuff and also get the benefit of references added to the new stuff especially for aging nerds like me :D

Last edited:

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it seems a bit of a catch-22 though.

The reason that "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" exists as a brand with value is the original series that ran, which built a cult following.

If the point is to build an entirely new audience with a reboot rather than a revival, and the argument is that the original fanbase is out of touch or whatever, then it seems a bit redundant to use the existing brand.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so unnecessary and stupid. More Buffyverse? Give it to me! Erase the past? Fuck off!

Buffy is one of the most iconic and important shows from the 90s and if you can't see that, you don't see much at all I'm affraid. Nothing they do today will be able to compare. Every character will just be a close but no cigar situation simply due to how well all the characters were written and what a good fit their actors were.

Make something new. New characters, new challenges and let it be 20 years later. The creators will have so much more freedom and acceptance from both fans and newcomers if they just stop rewriting the classics. I mean, fuck, can you imagine someone coming in and rebooting Twin Peaks? It would be equally stupid.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
They're not going to make a continuation of the old show when the main cast is approaching 50. You can't very well expect Spike or Angel to be immortal vampires when they both look 20+ years older now than they did in the show.

Granted Sarah Michele Gellar and Alyson Hannigan still look good to this day, they've aged very well. As did Charisma Carpenter who is like over 50 now, wow.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure they can. You don't need to include every character that used to be in it. They can be mentioned, referenced, but they don't need to be on screen.

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to make a continuation of the old show when the main cast is approaching 50. You can't very well expect Spike or Angel to be immortal vampires when they both look 20+ years older now than they did in the show.

Granted Sarah Michele Gellar and Alyson Hannigan still look good to this day, they've aged very well. As did Charisma Carpenter who is like over 50 now, wow.
Charisma Carpenter is 48.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely skeptical about this, regardless of the specific direction it takes (full on reboot vs continuation in the same universe). Buffy was a show that was so informed and defined by the period it came out of that I can't imagine a modern version coming close to having the same overall "feel", even if it does actually turn out good.

I also can't help but think that, as far as recent shows go, Orphan Black did such a good job in a very similar niche (female-lead genre show that puts a firm emphasis on character development/relationships and uses fantasy/sci-fi to explicitly speak to modern social and political issues) that a reboot of an existing property with roots in the 90's will end up feeling just a bit lame.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a sequel, not a reboot. Should have a new protagonist, but with some of the old cast still present.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I'd prefer a continuation of the story, i.e the story of the new 201X slayer and her friends. The old folks can easily make cameos. Throw in some magicbabble to explain away vampire aging.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's running her own company called Foodstirs which sells organic baking kits. They've managed to make distribution deals with companies like Target and Starbucks.

Oh wow fair enough. I saw a clip once where she was in a forest getting jiggy. What was that movie called? Research purposes ofc...

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw there was some dissent this Buffy reboot will emphasize diversity casting cuz that's hot these days

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that their doing a reboot instead of a new slayer, but I guess that lets them cannibalize off of old scripts. Sadly I see this being more CW than WB. Ill check it out but I don't expect much.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario: more or less a CW show

Worst case scenario: hello darkness my old friend

Oct 25, 2017
A new Buffy/Sabrina crossover would be the coolest thing (granted I don't know much about them yet).

As someone who couldn't stand those Whedonverse shows, I'm glad they're starting fresh.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for a new inclusive Buffyverse show.. but why does everything need to be a reboot? Why can't they just do a new show set in the same universe, several years later?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
My initial thoughts are "hell no", but I will reserve judgement until I actually see an episode. I feel as though it is a bad idea, at least at this point in time.

Funny enough, Buffy and Angel ended just before Twilight caused "vampire craze" started. Just missed it!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's rather dark. We already know where that goes. The period would be difficult for the youth audience to enjoy, too. A contemporary coming-of-age drama with charismatic leads would be much more likely to connect, and that's the basic core of Buffy.

Don't we have at least a dozen of those in the past few years?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for someone that hates the type of shows CW produces like Arrow and the like, how has Buffy aged and will I like it?

I do like IZombie though which is pretty much the only CW show I like.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's rather dark. We already know where that goes. The period would be difficult for the youth audience to enjoy, too. A contemporary coming-of-age drama with charismatic leads would be much more likely to connect, and that's the basic core of Buffy.
She was an active slayer for seven years! It doesn't all have to be dark. You're probably right about that concept not being the easiest to connect with younger audiences, but it's something I'd like to see.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A sequel for this show is more ideal, but if you had to reboot it...depending on casting, and of course if we can have cameos from the original show... and how much Whedon is actually involved to creatively guide things along

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
So for someone that hates the type of shows CW produces like Arrow and the like, how has Buffy aged and will I like it?

I do like IZombie though which is pretty much the only CW show I like.

IZombie seems like a Buffy sort of show, so you just might like it. It's gonna be a rough start for any beginner though, considering how dated (because of budget) a lot of that early stuff is.

If you like it, then will have another very good series to watch (during/after) in Angel.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffy has aged pretty awfully

I usually hate it when people say 'That's so 90's... or that's so generation x" but Buffy epitomizes that to me for all the good and bad it means

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I've probably re-watched Buffy at least five times by this stage. I'd be ok with a reboot - it's not like someone would be putting a steak to my heart forcing me to watch it.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I've read people mention that they could go with an anthology approach, focusing on a new slayer every season, and honestly, with how the series ended in season 7, that'd be a brilliant idea. Still, not surprised they're going with the laziest road and doing a complete reboot while making casting an existing main role now as a POC to get as much attention as possible.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you decide to watch it, just know that S1 (which is only 12 episodes) can be very 90s low-budget, cheesy at times.

And if you're not feeling the writing, characters, etc. by the end of S2, I'd probably stop watching.

IZombie seems like a Buffy sort of show, so you just might like it. It's gonna be a rough start for any beginner though, considering how dated (because of budget) a lot of that early stuff is.

If you like it, then will have another very good series to watch (during/after) in Angel.
Thanks.

I know a friend who has a bunch of DVDs so I will tell him to lend me if he has it. If not then I might check the library. I will definitely check it out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.