• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really not know that Cena on screen works? He's really charismatic and has great comedic timing, so I'm not surprised that he would be good in this.

I think whatever issues people might have with his wrestling status is unfairly carrying over here.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
59b.jpg

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is more that he plays a buttoned-down military type who doesn't get many quips or charismatic moments beyond his first scene

The few that he does get are pretty good, though, with one that practically had me doing this:

giphy.gif

in the theater

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Given the reception and likely word of mouth, could this do well despite opening the same day as Aquaman?

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
I saw the early screening...

It's the best Transformers movie on par or better than the original live action transformers movie.

If you saw and grew up in the 80s or 90s then there are many references to the original and 80s movies and you'll really enjoy it.

The movie seems to have a heart that original live action movies didn't. Also I hope there is a sequel to this in the future.

A solid 8/10

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017

It's the best Transformers movie on par or better than the original live action transformers movie.

If you saw and grew up in the 80s or 90s then you'll enjoy it as there are many references to the original animated movie and other 80s movie.

The movie seems to have a heart that original live action movies didn't. Also I hope there is a sequel to this in the future.

A solid 8/10

So if I hate Bayformers, will I love this?
Yes absolutely yes...

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it tonight. The G1 CG stuff was definitely an afterthought once they decided this MIGHT not be a prequel (?), and has little to do with the rest of the movie. But it's still a better movie than the others and does a good job humanizing everyone involved.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Oh boy! Now this makes me feel optimistic! After Kubo and the Two Strings, I was hoping Travis Knight wouldn't be a one hit wonder.

Might check this out along with Into the Spider-Verse.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Hailee Steinfeld is an underrated actresses. I still don't understand why she try to create a singing career.

Oct 26, 2017
Even if this wasn't an actual reboot it wouldn't matter. The earlier movies practically rebooted everything every time anyway.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This december has gotten really crowded now. I really want to see this Aquaman and Spider-verse. Not sure I will have time for more than one honestly.

Hailee Steinfeld rocks, glad to see this do well.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I saw this last night and am telling everyone I know that I loved it. Some random thoughts:

It definitely has a heart and sense of humor. The jokes almost always tend to land.

The animation is incredible. The first ten minutes alone had me thinking it's already the best Transformers movie ever.

Hailee is great.

Cena is only in maybe about twenty minutes of the entire movie, and he at least leans into his corniness. He also manages to be part of two of the better laughs in the movie simply because he gets why he's there and doesn't try to overachieve.

Pretty much every trailer they've used is showing material from just the first twenty minutes or so, and that was refreshing to get thru a movie and realize everything wasn't already spoiled.

Kids are going to love this movie.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So I saw this last night and am telling everyone I know that I loved it. Some random thoughts:

It definitely has a heart and sense of humor. The jokes almost always tend to land.

The animation is incredible. The first ten minutes alone had me thinking it's already the best Transformers movie ever.

Hailee is great.

Cena is only in maybe about twenty minutes of the entire movie, and he at least leans into his corniness. He also manages to be part of two of the better laughs in the movie simply because he gets why he's there and doesn't try to overachieve.

Pretty much every trailer they've used is showing material from just the first twenty minutes or so, and that was refreshing to get thru a movie and realize everything wasn't already spoiled.

Kids are going to love this movie.

Cool. My kids have been waiting for this since the first trailer.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Not really surprised since the trailers were already very promising. With this, Spider-verse and Aquaman, it looks like december will be a pretty good blockbuster month.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
Hmm this has my attention,utterly hated the whole of the Bay Transformed,but seems this is a definite step in the right direction

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Y'know, this makes me kind of happy. I don't know why, because I didn't grow up liking Transformers and have no stake in the franchise, but I wanted this one to be good. The first footage was endearing and I like the lead.

The first Bay movie was kind of entertaining, but the rest that I saw were dumpster fires.

May 10, 2018
Saw it at one of the early screenings and it's actually good. Hailee Steinfeld is a solid lead and her family along with the guy who has a crush on her make up a decent supporting cast.

Funny that it didn't hit me until I read the quote that Angela Bassett voices one of the villains.

Also another positive is that movie isn't that long so it moves at a pretty good pace. There were no trailers shown at the screening so the credits were rolling before 9:00 (the movie started at 7:00)

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is good to see, I thought I picked up some better vibes from the trailers. Glad to see it.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
My review will go up soon but I thought it was serviceable with some solid action.
2007 is better imo but I understand this is made for a younger crowd

If you have seen Cena in literally any other comedy you would know this is far from his best role.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good! I'll probably wait for video (I kind of just hate going to the movies these days), but I think I'll be purchasing the blu-ray when it hits.

Do people really not know that Cena on screen works? He's really charismatic and has great comedic timing, so I'm not surprised that he would be good in this.

I think whatever issues people might have with his wrestling status is unfairly carrying over here.

I haven't seen him in much outside of wrasslin', but he was in an episode or two of "Psych," and I thought he was pretty hilarious. Also funny to see how huge he actually is compared to "normal" people.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hailee Steinfeld is an underrated actresses. I still don't understand why she try to create a singing career.

Hard to say she's under-rated when she got an Oscar nom and tons of awards for True Grit, and a bunch of nominations for Edge of Seventeen.

I imagine she has a singing career because she likes singing and performing on stage.

Oct 27, 2017
My review will go up soon but I thought it was serviceable with some solid action.
2007 is better imo but I understand this is made for a younger crowd

If you have seen Cena in literally any other comedy you would know this is far from his best role.

I have. This is a very different take on how they utilize him in the movie.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
It's gonna be tough. Much as hate to say it, it feels like this film is going to an early grave. Up against Mary Poppins, Aquaman, and Spider-Verse I can't imagine it'll do hot in December. Hopefully it has long legs.

Of those films, Spider-Man is the one most likely to bomb. The almost universal reaction from anyone who see's it around me: "New Spider-Man!!!!!.....????..... oh it's aninated.... hard pass, looks cheap".

Normally I'd just assume that's just an isolated reaction, but I've seen the same feeling about it everywhere I go. I have no hope for it to do well (though I will personally likely love it)

After that Aquaman has a chance of bombing, marry poppins is a wild card, I expect winnie the Pooh numbers, and I think Transformers has the best chance of doing well

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

If you saw and grew up in the 80s or 90s then you'll enjoy it as there are many references to the original animated movie and other 80s movie.

A solid 8/10

Yes absolutely yes...
Most of that is assuring except for the bolded part. What if I fuckin' HATED the first live action Transformers movie (it was the least "bad" of the Bayformers, but I still felt it was insufferable to sit through)? To me, with the first movie, Bay set the bar sooo low, each installment afterwards were having a limbo contest with each other to see how low you can go.

OP
OP
Starphanluke

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Most of that is assuring except for the bolded part. What if I fuckin' HATED the first live action Transformers movie (it was the least "bad" of the Bayformers, but I still felt it was insufferable to sit through)? To me, with the first movie, Bay set the bar sooo low, each installment afterwards were having a limbo contest with each other to see how low you can go.

As someone who hates all the Bay films (I'm a massive TF fan so I sat through them anyway), this is way, way better. Even than the 07 film.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would put this light years beyond the 07 movie. I think this movie will have long legs because the jokes work for children as well.

Plus they go out of their way to make Hailee a real character. No lingering shots of her ass or anything, which must have killed Bay during the editing process as a producer. Imagine Knight getting notes from him on this: "Love the jokes, but what if instead of Bumblebee being scared in a garage, Charlie is wearing a bikini, Bumblebee sees it and literally blows a head gasket while Bad Medicine plays?"

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finally, a good transformers movie. Maybe now they can stop giving Michael Bay money.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I would put this light years beyond the 07 movie. I think this movie will have long legs because the jokes work for children as well.

Plus they go out of their way to make Hailee a real character. No lingering shots of her ass or anything, which must have killed Bay during the editing process as a producer. Imagine Knight getting notes from him on this: "Love the jokes, but what if instead of Bumblebee being scared in a garage, Charlie is wearing a bikini, Bumblebee sees it and literally blows a head gasket while Bad Medicine plays?"
It helps that the writer is a woman.