• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
8aFfQiH.jpg

Hey everyone,

Like we did a few weeks ago on the Livestream, we're going to continue to talk about how Destiny will continue to evolve this Fall and beyond. This update is about how we're changing Eververse.

We've already made a number of changes to Eververse in Season of Opulence (we've redesigned the store, we've made Bright Engrams only include Year 1 gear—and have it bias heavily toward giving you items you haven't unlocked in your Collections), and we're going to make more changes to the economy, store, and armor in this fall's patch.

Armor
It stinks to go to the Eververse store and see an item that looks cool and then seeing that the item has bad perks on it. In fact, when we're setting up the armor, we'd twist ourselves up in knots to make sure the Eververse armor sets didn't have good perks. We did this because we want the best way to get sweet perks on your armor to be by playing the game, not shopping for enhanced Hand Cannon loaders at Tess. The root cause (dating all the way back to Destiny 1) is that Eververse armor has always had perks/gameplay capability as a part of the package.

We're done with that. As of this September, all Eververse armor is being converted into Universal Ornaments. These Universal Ornaments can be applied to all of the Legendary armor sets we're releasing this Fall. They override the look of your equipped gear while preserving the perks, mods, and stats of the original item.

Any Eververse Armor you have acquired in your Collections will have its Universal Ornaments automatically unlocked for use on new Legendary armor. For example, if the song in your heart is to have your Titan roll with the 2018 Tin Man-esque Festival of the Lost Helmet, you can put it on any of the new Legendary armor coming to the game this fall.

TWAB_Armor_Cosmetics_Preview_01_1.jpg

Evolving Bright Dust

Historically, the best way to earn Bright Dust in Destiny 2 has been to buy a bunch of Bright Engrams, shard everything from the engrams, build a giant bankroll of Bright Dust and then spend it when the Warlock Dire Ahamkara helmet shows up the Bright Dust row in the last week of the season. We're going to change this.

This Fall we're changing Bright Dust from a pay- and/or play-to-earn currency to a play-to-earn reward. We're adding Bright Dust as a reward for completing Vanguard, Crucible, and Gambit bounties. We want all players to earn Dust for playing, not for spending money and destroying a bunch of items in their inventory. After you complete all your bounties for the week, there will be an additional avenue to keep grinding out Bright Dust.

It's also been pretty uncool to go to the Collection screen and spend Bright Dust to get shaders or Ghost Shells or whatever. We're going to fix that too. Beginning September 17, Eververse items in your Collections will cost Glimmer and Legendary Shards. If you want to keep pulling out that Exotic Sparrow that looks like a motorcycle until you get the good Sparrow perk (Instant Summon), you can do that with Legendary Shards and Glimmer.

Changes to Dismantling Eververse Items
Lastly, because we are changing the cost of pulling things out of the Collections, Eververse items will no longer dismantle into Bright Dust. This Fall, Eververse items will dismantle into Legendary Shards and Glimmer.

However, that means right now the absolute best thing you can do with all the Eververse items you don't use regularly—armor, Sparrows, shaders, Ghost Shells, transmat effects—is dismantle them. Sitting on a pile of Midnight Talons or Metro Shift from your Year 1 stockpiles? Shard 'em for Dust.

That's right! Everything must go—dismantle the extra stuff you have in your inventory, build up a huge amount of Bright Dust, and spend it on sweet stuff as it rolls through the Eververse store—because on September 17, everything changes.

TL;DR recap for Twitter:

On September 17, 2019:

• All Eververse armor (new and armor you've already acquired!) is being converted into Universal Ornaments
  • Universal Ornaments can be attached to any newly acquired Legendary armor
  • Bright Dust becoming a play-to-earn reward is going to come from doing bounties (Crucible, Gambit, and Vanguard), not dismantling things you spent money on
  • Eververse items can now be pulled from your Collections with Glimmer/Legendary Shards instead of Bright Dust

Before September 17, 2019:
  • Dismantle all of your unused Eververse items to maximize your Bright Dust reserves

Thanks and see you soon,
Luke Smith"

TLDR
On September 17, 2019:
  • All Eververse armor (new and armor you've already acquired!) is being converted into Universal Ornaments
  • Universal Ornaments can be attached to any newly acquired Legendary armor
  • Bright Dust becoming a play-to-earn reward is going to come from doing bounties (Crucible, Gambit, and Vanguard), not dismantling things you spent money on
  • Eververse items can now be pulled from your Collections with Glimmer/Legendary Shards instead of Bright Dust

Before September 17, 2019:
  • Dismantle all of your unused Eververse items to maximize your Bright Dust reserves

The new system is way better and allows a better way to acquire bright dust + gets rid of having armor perks on armor

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
So the aquisition for bright dust changes but the sinks for it stay the same. That is probably an improvement but more utility for aquisition via bright dust would've been apprechiated.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Universal ornaments is big. I hope they expand that to other things (Iron Banner, Solstice, etc). Ideally I'd like any armor piece to be eligible as a universal ornament (minus exotics).

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean for someone that doesn't play the game? Like, instead of buying weapons, you just buy skins for them now?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Universal ornaments is big. I hope they expand that to other things (Iron Banner, Solstice, etc). Ideally I'd like any armor piece to be eligible as a universal ornament (minus exotics).
The ViDoc made it sound like they'd get around this particular issue by letting you slot specific perks into your armor.

i.e. - Rather than transmog a Thorium piece to look like Tangled Web piece, you'd just give the Tangled Web piece the perks you want.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
I actually don't like this. This is a move to make obtaining bright dust harder, which will push people to purchase silver. Universal ornaments are great.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
What does this mean for someone that doesn't play the game? Like, instead of buying weapons, you just buy skins for them now?

Basically these changes are all amazing. You can tell bungie really wants to be fair with microtransactions post Activision split. Armor no longer have perks on it, they are simply just ornaments you can use to replace existing armors for looks. Bright dust is now earned purely from just playing the game (we do not know how much yet though).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Great changes. It was always a problem that Eververse had great looking armor with shitty perks, so now that you can apply the look of the armor without having to give up your good armor perks is an amazing change.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The ViDoc made it sound like they'd get around this particular issue by letting you slot specific perks into your armor.

i.e. - Rather than transmog a Thorium piece to look like Tangled Web piece, you'd just give the Tangled Web piece the perks you want.
Yeah that's true. I just remembered this game needs saveable loadouts (officially). Thinking about switching perks out on certain pieces for certain game modes could get tedious.

I thought they already did with IB.
I meant using the IB armor (or any other armor really) as a "universal ornament" on any other armor. Though, yeah. That would get complicated with armors that already have ornaments.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds.....great.
So the Eververse armor is all decoration that can be applied to any Legendary armor. That's amazing.
I just want a way to find the armor I didn't unlock in previous seasons.

My Dragonfly Regalia full Titan set looks amazing, but I've switched to my Warlock since.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
You get much more bright dust for dismantling eververse items from bright engrams than you do from bounties. Unless they up the amount of dust from bounties, I think you'll be getting less than before.
Are you missing this line in the post?

"We're adding Bright Dust as a reward for completing Vanguard, Crucible, and Gambit bounties."

They're adding multiple new ways to get Bright Dust.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
You get much more bright dust for dismantling eververse items from bright engrams than you do from bounties. Unless they up the amount of dust from bounties, I think you'll be getting less than before.

Theres also daily bounties and weekly bounties. We don't know if both provide bright dust and how much we're getting from each. Guess we'll have to wait and see in the Fall. For now, these changes look real good.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad they're making bright dust a general reward for bounty quests, which is good since getting back into Destiny 2 slowly, I haven't gotten any more and couldn't figure out how to get it further. I hope the big overhaul comes with a great manual for getting lapsed players back into the game to explain every mechanic that I have to google normally to figure out what the hell it is. I remember trying to get back into the game last year and running into every item needing enhancement cores to upgrade and not being able to figure out how to get them, but now they seem to be a reward for some bounty quests.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will the Universal Ornaments be one-time use? Or they will be just like they are now, you can override them and apply them later?

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Sooo im guessing its a one time use of the ornament or do i just have the ability to equip them whenever to whatever?

Is there a cost?

Really liking the changes

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Are you missing this line in the post?

"We're adding Bright Dust as a reward for completing Vanguard, Crucible, and Gambit bounties."

They're adding multiple new ways to get Bright Dust.
Not at all. I'm saying that if the bright dust reward from crucible/vanguard/gambit is anything like the eververse bounties, I think we will get less bright dust than before. Just my hot take for the moment.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing about this is the new armor mechanic. Otherwise this feels like a further step in getting you to spend money instead of earning cosmetics through playing.

The newest season already made it so you can't earn any new cosmetics without spending silver or dust. Now they're going to make it so you have a harder time getting dust.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Will the Universal Ornaments be one-time use? Or they will be just like they are now, you can override them and apply them later?

I very much doubt they are one time use. Just like how the current Exotic Ornaments work. If you have two you can switch back and forth at any time without any cost.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Probably the latter. No reason to change it when every ornament in the game works like the latter. You unlock it and then you can apply it whenever you want.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing about this is the new armor mechanic. Otherwise this feels like a further step in getting you to spend money instead of earning cosmetics through playing.

The newest season already made it so you can't earn any new cosmetics without spending silver or dust. Now they're going to make it so you have a harder time getting dust.

That last thing was exactly what I thought after reading the announcement.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Maybe you guys should wait and see how much bright dust the new bounties give us before slamming them? Just a thought.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
This sounds good. I have always wanted to use some of my eververse armor but never got any useful rolls on them.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see they're going the route of universal ornaments. I've lost track of the number of Eververse-only armor I've dismantled because of crappy perks.

Will wait and see how Bungie adjusts Bright Dust cost vs. accrual, but right now this sounds like a solid step.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I do wonder if we'll be able to pull out any old eververse armor set from our collections and have it be converted to a universal ornament. I acquired the full Dawning set from the last event on my Warlock. Since it will no longer be armor (and therefore should be attainable since they'll no longer have random perks or perks at all) I would assume I'd be able to pull it out. Hopefully because that's some of my favorite looking armor in the game.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't sound like it makes it hard to get more dust, it sounds like it will be easier.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes this change needed to happen, but it's still BAFFLING that it didn't work this way in the first place.

Hard for me to give someone credit for doing what they should've been doing half a decade ago.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, one of the least scummy things they've done with this series. Good job to them!

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The bit about these universal ornaments only being applicable to Year 3 armor sets does give me some pause and makes me wonder whether or not the new armor system is going to be retroactively applied to Y1 and Y2 stuff. They never applied perks to Y1 gear, so it makes me worried that the new system will not be usable on existing stuff that I like the looks of.

Oct 30, 2017
I like that change. I can't wait until the expansion. I miss the game the leveling game, I just never care about endgame. I really wish that they implemented a difficulty system like Anthem. I would totally replay everything as a new class if there was a hard mode. As it stands, I never even died from enemy fire until Osiris. and Warmind was the first time that an encounter even felt challenging.

Still, some of the Eververse gear is cute and I can't wait to use it.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Diabolical way to hook the New Light Kindaguardians into spending in the Eververse

most impressive tactic, bungo, I doff my cap