• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie announced today it will soon be rolling out a fix to prevent players on Xbox One and PC from using the PS4-exclusive exotic trace rifle Wavesplitter after Destiny 2's traveling alien salesman, Xur, accidentally sold the weapon to some players last weekend.

"We're investigating an issue where the Sony exclusive weapon Wavesplitter was made available from Xûr on Xbox and PC," Bungie's community manager, Cozmo, wrote today on the game's forum. "We're currently working on a fix. In the meantime, Xbox and PC players who acquired the weapon will be able to use it. After the fix goes live, they will still have it in their inventories, but will not be able to equip it until this weapon enters the general Exotic loot pool in Sept

Since the initial launch of Destiny in 2014, publisher Activision has buddied up with Sony to make weapons, strikes, and maps exclusive to PlayStation 4, often for at least a year if not longer. The practice continued with Destiny 2, and although we don't yet know if developer Bungie will keep it up following its breakup with Activision in January of this year, the most recent deal is still in place.

At least Bungie isn't sharding Xbox One and PC players' Wavesplitters altogether. They'll presumably still be able to store them in their vault, occasionally gazing upon them until the day they magically unlock again.

https://kotaku.com/bungie-blocks-xbox-and-pc-destiny-players-from-equippin-1833924083

That Destiny exclusive deal has been such a mess since D1 really.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Activision wasn't the issue after all

Though the deal was done by Activision of course

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Activision wasn't the issue after all

Though the deal was done by Activision of course
The deal was done under Activision. The existing exclusivity contract didn't magically go away after they sold Destiny because Sony is also part of it.

If they make a new Sony exclusivity deal for Destiny 3, that'll be Bungie's fault then.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really hate how Bungie handles these PS4 exclusive items in Destiny 1 and 2

They don't give a fuck about half of their player base. Just that Sony money 🙄

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, makes sense that they would, no? Surely there's some legal stuff playing a part in it

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
tenor.gif

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. The deal Activision made is obviously still in effect, but I doubt Bungie will ever agree to something like this with their future projects.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how Bungie handles these PS4 exclusive items in Destiny 1 and 2

They don't give a fuck about half of their player base. Just that Sony money 🙄

If it was anywhere close to half you wouldn't see this. But it's not. Check the EU sales threads for both Destiny 1/2 and you'll see why Bungie/Activision protect Sony's marketing investment with such Zeal.

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that the casual market often mistake Destiny for a PS4 exclusive... I'm not saying it's right. But I am insisting it's just business.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, we can't even blame the evil, evil publisher for this one.

Help me out here - who are we gonna make responsible for Bungie fuck ups going forward?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess we will see even more exclusivity deals in the future. That means marketing, bundles, DLC exclusivity, timed exclusivity and perhaps even new deals.
They were part of the reason 360 was so successful last gen and are part of the reason why PS4 is successful this gen.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, they probably have to do that

It's shitty that the deal exists in the first place, but they have to enforce it

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Thank god for that. I thought we might go all day without me having something to get angry about! And here it is...

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Even more bad PR from the game that keeps on giving :)

I don't know which former titan of the industry is more of a fuck up this gen Bungie or Bethesda. It's like they can't get out of their own way. It's amazing in a way how they stay in the news cycle for all the wrong reasons.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Contract is contract.

Don't know why some of you seem surprised. Sure it was a fuck up to let Xur sell that item in the first place but mistakes happen. That comes with shitty exclusive items for a version.

Ingame money back and be done with it.

No outrage needed.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These deals effectively mean: pay the same money everyone else does, but get less content for it (or be able to play said content at a later stage, in Destiny's case A LOT later) just because you bought the "wrong console", a decision that was taken by who gave the publisher a bigger moneybag prior to the advertisement campaigns. I've said with Call Of Duty, I'll say it with Destiny: shitty deals like this are not more likely to make me rush out and buy the "correct" console, they are much more likely to draw me away from the game altogether. See how I barely care about the new gamemode in Black Ops IIII: I would have played it on the hype alone had it came out immediately on Xbox One too, but since they had us wait an extra week my hype died now, and now I'm not even sure I'll bother. I ain't buying a PS4 or Destiny for it because you're crippling my system of choice's version, I'm skipping the game altogether. Hopefully more and more people will do this and put an end to these ridiculous deals.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Thank you Activision for sticking Bungie to that deal.

I hope by Sept expansion we get Bungie to drop the exclusive deal and prepare the grounds for cross-play.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Destiny isn't a f2p game so what does this have to do with anything?

The game has a F2P MTX model though: time-gated progression system, microtransactions up the ass, timers to wait out, grinding galore. Except Activision and Bungie except you to shell out hundreds of dollars during the game's life cycle between the day 1 version of the game, the DLCs, the expansion packs and then some, only to be able to keep up with non-cosmetic content drops, which are, unsurprisingly, also paid. So after you spend like 200 hundred dollars you can still experience the lovely grind, spending dozens or hundreds of hours on content you paid for hoping that the game rolls the dice well come the lootdrops. I mean, all this having platform-specific content is just the icing on the cake. I can live with something like Rocket League, where every platform gets their own exclusive items - you aren't getting less on any version, you're getting slightly different cosmetics on like 0.1% of the overall content. Totally not a big deal. In Destiny's case, alternative versions of the game cost the same, but only the PS4 one is feature-complete, the others are mandated to be castrated. Ain't that great.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Sony paid for an exclusive item and they don't want said exclusive item to be available to other platforms. Seems pretty straightforward.

I'm ready for these marketing deals with exclusive content to be over with.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusive content suuuuucks. It was especially painful in Y1 when content was sparse.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Are people honestly upset or y'all joking? I can't seem to find anywhere in the story where that emotion should rise.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
They have a contract to oblige, can't blame them. Fully expect this exclusivity BS to end once this ends though.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Are people honestly upset or y'all joking? I can't seem to find anywhere in the story where that emotion should rise.
Its just one in long line of mistakes are stupid stuff that happened because of the exclusive deal.
The worst one was that D1 players on Xbox finally got D1 stuff from Rise of Iron on september 20 2017. Two weeks after D2 released.
Overall the exclusive deal hasnt been great for anybody player wise. As PS4 exclusive strikes or maps couldnt be used as a nightfall or Trials map because it wasnt on the other platform. Limiting the PS4 players also.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woops. I hope they've been refunded?

The title of the thread is incredibly disingenuous. They "bought" it with in game currency made by deleting old weapons and armor you don't use. No real money is involved, at all.

People are hating in this thread for the sake of hating. It slipped through on a fuck up, they don't want to be hit by Sony for breach of contract so they have to disable it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Damn, we can't even blame the evil, evil publisher for this one.

Help me out here - who are we gonna make responsible for Bungie fuck ups going forward?
Bungie, but just because they left Activision, there is still the bullshit with Sony until September.

Notice how we haven't gotten any new Strikes or Crucible maps? If they introduced them they would have to cater to Sony and make them exclusive. We have not had any Sony exclusives since Forsaken. No more special treatment. It's done.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its just one in long line of mistakes are stupid stuff that happened because of the exclusive deal.
The worst one was that D1 players on Xbox finally got D1 stuff from Rise of Iron on september 20 2017. Two weeks after D2 released.
Overall the exclusive deal hasnt been great for anybody player wise. As PS4 exclusive strikes or maps couldnt be used as a nightfall or Trials map because it wasnt on the other platform. Limiting the PS4 players also.

In general, it's just a 100% anti-consumer move that brings no advantage to any player. Those on PS4 could not get the exclusive content as weeklies because they have feature parity in that between the platforms. In 2019 it's not that big of an issue, but obviously the less people play that specific content, the less likely you find guides, impressions, chats about said content as opposed to any Destiny player having access to it. If you're on PC or Xbox One, you are paying the same amount of money to get a game with less content than the PS4 version. If you don't own a gaming system and are contemplating which one to get to play Destiny 2, they are effectively pushing you towards PS4 with this deal, when you may prefer going to PC or Xbox One for other reasons. There are literally no upsides for any gamer, considering it's content that's in the game files for all versions (as shown by this Xur mess) that was ready to be launched, but for a stupid contract they had to limit it to one platform only.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie, but just because they left Activision, there is still the bullshit with Sony until September.

Notice how we haven't gotten any new Strikes or Crucible maps? If they introduced them they would have to cater to Sony and make them exclusive. We have not had any Sony exclusives since Forsaken. No more special treatment. It's done.

I´d welcome that.

Done with Destiny 2, but I sincerely hope Destiny 3 is something I will want to come back to.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, what's the problem here? It sucks, but an exclusive is an exclusive. Bungie should refund whatever it is used to buy it and be done with it.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has a F2P MTX model though: time-gated progression system, microtransactions up the ass, timers to wait out, grinding galore. Except Activision and Bungie except you to shell out hundreds of dollars during the game's life cycle between the day 1 version of the game, the DLCs, the expansion packs and then some, only to be able to keep up with non-cosmetic content drops, which are, unsurprisingly, also paid. So after you spend like 200 hundred dollars you can still experience the lovely grind, spending dozens or hundreds of hours on content you paid for hoping that the game rolls the dice well come the lootdrops. I mean, all this having platform-specific content is just the icing on the cake. I can live with something like Rocket League, where every platform gets their own exclusive items - you aren't getting less on any version, you're getting slightly different cosmetics on like 0.1% of the overall content. Totally not a big deal. In Destiny's case, alternative versions of the game cost the same, but only the PS4 one is feature-complete, the others are mandated to be castrated. Ain't that great.
It absolutely doesn't when the entire meaning of f2p is FREE TO PLAY. At this point, Destiny 2 players are about £150 in. Quite far from free.