KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they killed the only character I really liked in Destiny really doesn't motivate me to play this.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly yeah, killing him off and using it as promotional materials honestly sours me a bit on the expansion. Would have been better shown as a surprise or something.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Cayde will come back somehow, he's the best thing about the game, but then again they did kill me so not sure.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry to see Cayde die, especially since pretty much all the characters they created after Taken King have been non-stop irritating. I'm worried that there will be nobody left to fill the void left in Cayde's absence.

I am very happy to see them cite Westerns and Samurai movies as their inspiration for this expansion though. I'm looking forward to see how those tropes get twisted to fit the Destiny universe.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Cayde is maybe dead, but not 100% buying he's dead dead and killed off in a fucking trailer/marketing campaign.

If Uldren takes out Northbot next he'd be my personal hero.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017
I wonder if they just didn't want to pay for Nathan anymore. He's doing a new TV show, but he's also been in like every Bungie game since Halo 3. :(

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so glad they took this new direction in narrative. The "every line must be a gag" approach of the vanilla game was seriously rubbish. Almost as crap as Borderlands.

"Rawr, I'm a big scary monster!"

Edit: Also, I really do think he's dead for good.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like literally any kind of narrative would be better than what we've gotten so far from this series. It doesn't need to be darker. It just needs to be coherent and complete.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm STILL pissed they killed off such a big character in the fucking trailer. What an absolutely stupid decision. Should've been a surprise during the actual expansion.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad they took this new direction in narrative. The "every line must be a gag" approach of the vanilla game was seriously rubbish. Almost as crap as Borderlands.

"Rawr, I'm a big scary monster!"

Edit: Also, I really do think he's dead for good.
When the first few teaser trailers were Cadye joking and mumbling his way through I knew straight away there was something up with the direction of the game. Sucks that it's taken them almost a year to sort things.

Oct 27, 2017
This narrative stuff is an obvious response to the backlash to their god awful writing, but part of me doubts they'll get it right.

For one, your guardian is still going to be a mute idiot who mimes their way through conversation while the super douchebag ghost does all the talking.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly yeah, killing him off and using it as promotional materials honestly sours me a bit on the expansion. Would have been better shown as a surprise or something.

Exactly, specially when we ressurrect the guy on the campaing, sounds like a poor marketing choice to grab attention of the audience.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they just didn't want to pay for Nathan anymore. He's doing a new TV show, but he's also been in like every Bungie game since Halo 3. :(
This always comes up, but I seriously doubt that having Nathan Fillion come in to do voicework is really all that expensive. I love the guy but he's a B or C-list TV actor who probably doesn't charge that much for a couple afternoons in a recording booth. For some reason even generally reasonable journalists and industry observers tend to act like he must be getting some kind of Robert Downey Jr. payday when that is probably not the case at all.

Is Fillion more expensive than a no-name voice actor? Probably, but I suspect his paycheck probably represents less than 1% of this game's budget. Killing off his character probably has very little to do with saving money.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How you know your game has a disposable story-when you kill off it's best character in a trailer.

Lefein

May 26, 2018
By killing off the most expensive voice actor in cast. . . I mean, why lie? This game will be bargain bin material by this time next year.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So Eric's Mom is making a comeback?

Honestly I was out right when they announced this. I gave them several shots. I am just not up for it anymore.

I hope it lives up to whatever you peeps who are still playing it want out of it

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's probably a reactionary move due to complaints over the tone of the base game and a good way to create instant interest by summarily executing one of the one few Destiny characters most people actually give two shits about. Also he's totally coming back to life. Cayde-7 bout to pop up pretty soon.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The death of Cayde-6 represents the death of the horrible design decisions they did for D2 from the outset. Let the new era reign

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People talking about killing off the most annoying character... I didn't know Zavala died.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So is Bungie evolving like a human being?

Halo phase: 6-8 year old kid, ALIENS BLOW SHIT UP SPACESHIPS LETS GOOOOOO
Destiny 1 phase: 10 year old, "everything is spooky! WHAT A TWIST! check out my dank memes" phase
Destiny 2: 12-15 year old rebel against everyone, "i know everything i don't need to listen to anyone"
Destiny 2 year 2: 16 year old, just-exposed-to-Nietzsche nihilism phase. "Everything sucks, everyone dies, nothing matters"

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
They'll just bring a slightly weirder version with Cayde-7. Wasn't it categorized as a rumor in Destiny's 1 grimore that the number meant the number of previous "lifes" that Exo had? So Exos have another weay to being brought (mostly) back without a ghost. Is my memory making up things?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Talk to me when Zavala or Lord Shaxx dies. Then we can discuss avenging cool characters.

This always comes up, but I seriously doubt that having Nathan Fillion come in to do voicework is really all that expensive. I love the guy but he's a B or C-list TV actor who probably doesn't charge that much for a couple afternoons in a recording booth. For some reason even generally reasonable journalists and industry observers tend to act like he must be getting some kind of Robert Downey Jr. payday when that is probably not the case at all.

Is Fillion more expensive than a no-name voice actor? Probably, but I suspect his paycheck probably represents less than 1% of this game's budget. Killing off his character probably has very little to do with saving money.

This is always something I've thought about as well. Is Fillion really that expensive these days? They have Lance Reddick voicing Zavala and I'd imagine he's at least a little more costly. The guy has actually been in movies in recent years.

Jan 10, 2018
His ghost was destroyed after he died, so he ded for good.

I don't really believe so. He was the only character that people really liked so it makes no sense to kill him permanently. His death inspires revenge which will probably lead him to be resurrected in some form. He already died once, in human form. Transfering his mind to a new Exo body doesn't seem like a big deal. There will probably be a quest where you take his "memory core" to a Bray facility and bring him back.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
My opinion is that the current state of Bungie isn't capable of getting worthwhile videogame writing into a product. They're making some seemingly candid statements about the current direction, but they're fighting against having, frankly, prevaricated to give a similar impression of self-awareness so many times previously to promote this series. I can't take any of this at face value. I've been burned several times over. I wish them the best, but I'm left with an almost hostile attitude toward their work until they prove otherwise.

I'd love for Cayde's death to be emblematic of how seriously they're taking this shift for the sake of storytelling, but I just can't believe them.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll just bring a slightly weirder version with Cayde-7. Wasn't it categorized as a rumor in Destiny's 1 grimore that the number meant the number of previous "lifes" that Exo had? So Exos have another weay to being brought (mostly) back without a ghost. Is my memory making up things?

Nah,
The numbers represent the number of reboots.

His ghost is dead, and was shot in the head. He is dead for good unless they pull Backup minds Shanenigans somewhere by making us visit the Deep Stone Crypt.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really believe so. He was the only character that people really liked so it makes no sense to kill him permanently. His death inspires revenge which will probably lead him to be resurrected in some form. He already died once, in human form. Transfering his mind to a new Exo body doesn't seem like a big deal. There will probably be a quest where you take his "memory core" to a Bray facility and bring him back.
He's dead for good. Dunno why so many people are determined to think he isn't.
The death of Cayde-6 represents the death of the horrible design decisions they did for D2 from the outset. Let the new era reign
Yeah pretty much. Virtually all the changes they are making in Forsaken are sounding great (even though some of them were present in the first game and shouldn't have been removed in the first place) Can't wait.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To all the spoiler-whinners

Please, Cayde's death happens in the first mission. We all know attention-seeking streamer douchebags will have it up all over youtube as a thumbnail within an hour of release.

Remember GOW just two months ago?

This way at least, Bungle can get ahead of it and rinse it for marketing and hype

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Cayde was the ONLY memorable character in all of Destiny. Not saying he's great or horrible or anything... speaks more to the rest of the cast.

delume

Oct 27, 2017
Newest of all Zealands
When they didn't embrace the complex lore they had going through The Book of Sorrow, sword logic, et al. I was out. The path was clear but they choose to hug the centre and dilute the essence of what made me really engage with Destiny.

Oct 26, 2017
My opinion is that the current state of Bungie isn't capable of getting worthwhile videogame writing into a product. They're making some seemingly candid statements about the current direction, but they're fighting against having, frankly, prevaricated to give a similar impression of self-awareness so many times previously to promote this series. I can't take any of this at face value. I've been burned several times over. I wish them the best, but I'm left with an almost hostile attitude toward their work until they prove otherwise.

I'd love for Cayde's death to be emblematic of how seriously they're taking this shift for the sake of storytelling, but I just can't believe them.

I also have zero expectations for the story.

This series has had so many problems from the beginning that I don't have any faith that that particular aspect will change.

The new gameplay content will probably be cool but as for the story, after seeing the original game + Destiny 2, I'm going to go with a hard no on the story being interesting at all.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I think Destiny 1 proved that we don't really need a darker narrative, or a narrative at all for the game to be great. Give us end game content and loot that is rare and that matters. Story should be the least of our concerns.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The only reason they killed Cayde is because he's the only character anybody would actually want revenge for. Everybody else is a cardboard ass stick in the mud.

IMO of course.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, I haven't been following this expansion much but the ships at the end of the base game have nothing to do with this?

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Also, Cayde might come back as Cayde-7, but unless they pull some stuff (Which I guess they could after the ending of the main campaign), he'll just have his voice/mannerisms but he won't be a guardian.