• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yeezus

Nov 27, 2017
It didn't seem like they were sincere or surprised at all by any of the community outbursts which makes me feel like maybe Bungie was just apologizing and trying to see where they could draw the line in the sand, a point that they could look to and say "okay, they swallowed this so now we can get away with the rest."

As someone that played a lot of the original Destiny, I sort of anticipated this. I got peer pressured into paying the fun tax (buying D2), and I'll say honestly that I had fun with my pals: running around, doing missions, pvp and the raid, and just staying up late floating around headshotting dregs or whatever. But after you've crushed the existing content, there does come a point where everything feels inconsequential and repetitive. Coupled with fuck up after fuck up from Bungie and Co., it's getting harder and harder to stick up for the makers of one of my favourite videogames of all time. Hopefully after they've made their money with the second expansion, they'll look to see how they can improve the experience.

It's funny because I remember the original Destiny getting billed as some decade long saga of a game for some reason. Hopefully people remember how they feel now when we get the stick up for Destiny 3.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a life long Bungie fan, this is depressing.
As a bigger life long Halo fan, this is oddly reassuring.

renzollama

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm confident at this point Bungie is making plans to do a new IP with a straight forward shooter experience and ditch Destiny after 3 years.

They're pretty much in a "fuck this bullshit genre" mode.

MAYBE, they'll put out Destiny 3 just to fleece their fanbase one last time for good measures.

I think you're largely correct here but without the conspiracy theory / anti-consumer bent. They realized with Destiny 1 that successfully developing / monetizing a live game with an agile customer-driven update loop is a lot harder than disappearing for 3-4 years and then releasing a sequel that people play for a month and forget. They're just trying to figure out how to most gracefully ride out the disappointment / anger from D1 fans who wanted that ambitious rpg loot shooter to keep expanding for ten years. I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start recommending that frustrated customers play Warframe and The Division themselves just like they tell people to use other tools for matchmaking and inventory management.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's sad that this is what Bungie has come to.

Doesn't matter much though. For all the complaining about this game, they'll tell you baby they've changed we're a better game and we're focused on your happiness baby come onnnn when D3 rolls around, and you'll buy it because this time, THIS time, you know they've changed.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like a good amount of people in this thread I was big into D1 after Taken King hit and played with a regularly active Clan of friends about 12 strong. We all jumped on D2 and played it for maybe 3 weeks. Now when I go on due to boredom there is maybe one other person on. The people I played with got over 1000 hours just dropped the game and went on to others ( Fortnite and some are looking at MonHun ) and we all loved D1 at the end.

It's just a shame. The game is fantastic to just play but everything surrounding it just doesn't mesh as well. If the Loot, Exotics, and Level/Loot Box system were even half as good as the gameplay it would be a much better game.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I still really enjoy Destiny 2. I thought it offered a ton of content for the price at launch and I really feel that it's only continued to improve. The gunplay and movement are fantastic (those are the only things that really matter) and the areas we have to play around in are excellent (including Mars in the recent expansion).

I dunno, I obviously don't work for Bungie or anything like that, but I feel like all this backlash is overblown. I've never once been compelled to spend money in the Eververse.

People online are crazy and cynical.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie's ineptitude is incredibly obvious to anyone in D2 community groups right now. Player drop-off has been insane in the past month. If Bungie can't stem this tide, they're going to have a dead game on their hands.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I still really enjoy Destiny 2. I thought it offered a ton of content for the price at launch and I really feel that it's only continued to improve. The gunplay and movement are fantastic (those are the only things that really matter) and the areas we have to play around in are excellent (including Mars in the recent expansion).

I dunno, I obviously don't work for Bungie or anything like that, but I feel like all this backlash is overblown. I've never once been compelled to spend money in the Eververse.

People online are crazy and cynical.

Thing is, even the gunplay and movement, the best parts of the game, aren't as good as Destiny 1. We've got bloom back. We're slower. Something in console controls feels dramatically worse and more sluggish with aiming. I have literally just completely stopped playing on PS4 because I just don't really enjoy how much I feel like I'm moving through sludge.

Weirdly however, despite mouse and keyboard, larger FoV, 60 fps, etc. on PC Destiny 2, I'm actually enjoying Destiny 1 on PS4 more because of how it feels.

Like to all those who don't feel a difference, more power to you, but there's a number of us who just hate how slow everything is. Heck, what's his name even pointed it out just from the reveal event. My brother is a huge destiny player too, with like 3000+ hours, and he has just completely dropped Destiny 2 pretty much. He said he won't come back till they fix movement and aiming, and even then would prefer not to until they fix weapon slots.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the quintessential "Put 60-70 hours into it and then sell it and forget about it" FPS for me. So glad I got my money's worth out of the initial experience without falling for/buying into the bullshit that would follow.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

It's about as fun as your bog standard campaign, with some of the most unfun boss fights I've ever encountered.

Don't act like it hasn't been viciously criticized by the community at large. I don't understand your need to jump in and defend the game every time you see it criticized. Critics and gamers alike have pretty much dismissed it as just straight up bad.

Like you're entitled to your opinion, but your cute little insertion there isn't really clever at all. Vast majority of gamers came away from it with "...wtf."

And don't be an ass and go ""...wtf that was awesome!"

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope the art/mechanics design teams at Bungie get a chance to work on something not shite before this generation ends.

What a fucking letdown this game has been.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
MCC is marred by technical issues, not anti-player design choices.

Right, but to the end user, in the end we're all faced with, just, idk. Disappointment after disappointment. If you were a huge halo fan of Bungie back in the day, or like me have more recently-ish discovered bungie's halo games, it's very likely you are left right now with pretty much nothing.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only they'd also do a good job at developing fun games with with fair DLC and without gambling elements.
They absolutely HAD to listen to the community and make their game "better". Everything else would've resulted in a almost irreversable damage blow to their reputation.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_o1ieub3Qb51s8cyxjo3_500.gif

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's about as fun as your bog standard campaign, with some of the most unfun boss fights I've ever encountered.

Don't act like it hasn't been viciously criticized by the community at large. I don't understand your need to jump in and defend the game every time you see it criticized. Critics and gamers alike have pretty much dismissed it as just straight up bad.

Like you're entitled to your opinion, but your cute little insertion there isn't really clever at all. Vast majority of gamers came away from it with "...wtf."

And don't be an ass and go ""...wtf that was awesome!"

Overreaction, much? I've as much right to "jump in and defend it" as anyone has to jump in and crtiticize it.

I mean shit, your post was just as short while erring on the negative, and yet you're completely deaf to your own hypocrisy feeling the need to criticise me for the same thing.

Funny how you mention critics calling it "bad" when it seems to have scored pretty well for an FPS this generation.

If you had actually followed what I said over time you'd know that I had been pretty negative about the SP, mostly by being distanced from my original play-through and getting caught in this Halo-hate bubble, until I replayed it last year on the X. I'm not going to detail it again, but story aside my faults with the campaign were discreet and specific things that were entirely fixable next time. But my general feeling at the end of it was of enjoyment.

So yes, I did find it fun, thank you very much.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Overreaction, much? I've as much right to "jump in and defend it" as anyone has to jump in and crtiticize it.

I mean shit, your post was just as short while erring on the negative, and yet you're completely deaf to your own hypocrisy feeling the need to criticise me for the same thing.

If you had actually followed what I said over time you'd know that I had been pretty negative about the SP, mostly by being distanced from my original play-through and getting caught in this Halo-hate bubble, until I replayed it last year on the X. I'm not going to detail it again, but story aside my faults with the campaign were discreet and specific things that were entirely fixable next time. But my general feeling at the end of it was of enjoyment.

So yes, I did find it fun, thank you very much.

It just came off as dismissive. I was echoing the general sentiments of most people who played Halo 5. The majority of it's reception has been negative on the singleplayer, and that has been gone into in much detail that I didn't really feel was necessary in a topic not even about the game.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just came off as dismissive. I was echoing the general sentiments of most people who played Halo 5. The majority of it's reception has been negative on the singleplayer, and that has been gone into in much detail that I didn't really feel was necessary in a topic not even about the game.

That's a terrible excuse for being just as dismissive. And you have the nerve to call me an "ass" for it.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They absolutely HAD to listen to the community and make their game "better". Everything else would've resulted in a almost irreversable damage blow to their reputation.

In many ways, they did. Unfortunately, it turns out that the community itself didn't know what it wanted. Just a couple of examples:

In D1, the community (and most/all pro players) said ability spam and grenades were bullshit in the crucible. They said one-hit-KO weapons like shotgun and snipers were cancer. They wanted primary weapons to matter more. They thought the Crucible desperately needed to be "balanced." In D2 the community is saying they miss the unbalanced crucible and the longer cooldowns and "power fantasy" and that snipers are worthless now and that they don't want to teamshoot people with primary weapons.

In D1, the community said double and triple RNG on weapons and armor was bullshit and that they shouldn't have to grind for hundreds of hours to get the perfect roll. In D2, the community is saying there's nothing to grind for because there's no RNG.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I feel the community is super ungrateful. I liked the Weekly update because it was honest and shows they care. Whatever I guess.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In many ways, they did. Unfortunately, it turns out that the community itself didn't know what it wanted. Just a couple of examples:

In D1, the community (and most/all pro players) said ability spam and grenades were bullshit in the crucible. They said one-hit-KO weapons like shotgun and snipers were cancer. They wanted primary weapons to matter more. They thought the Crucible desperately needed to be "balanced." In D2 the community is saying they miss the unbalanced crucible and the longer cooldowns and "power fantasy" and that snipers are worthless now.

In D1, the community said double and triple RNG on weapons and armor was bullshit and that they shouldn't have to grind for hundreds of hours to get the perfect roll. In D2, the community is saying there's nothing to grind for because there's no RNG.
Quasi true. Almost everyone universally asked for PvE and PvP to be balanced differently. Those changes wouldn't be half as bad if it were relegated to only one mode.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 3 is coming. And I bet that most of the people complaining will buy it day one.
I'm not. I got burned with the first game, and I got burned again with the second. Whenever the third game is announced I certainly will not have any interest in getting it, I'm actually really not interested in any future Bungie project now.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrible excuse for being just as dismissive. And you have the nerve to call me an "ass" for it.

I didn't. I said don't be. Your clever little continuance of my post was annoying, and not clever, because it was not a useful response at all.

And again, I wasn't being dismissive. I was saying something that has been discussed to death. Repeating, in order to be concise and not derail the thread, the core, overarching feeling of the community, which has been overwhelmingly that the campaign was a disappointment.

The entire point of bringing up Halo 5 in this discussion was talking about how Bungie/Halo fans are feeling shafted. In that sense, we are talking about the reception of the community, so it makes sense for me to bring up the point that the community's reception of half of Halo 5 was overwhelmingly negative. Anything more than that begins a derail. I didn't want to get into a discussion about personal opinions about the game, because that is not what is relevant here. It's like when you are doing budgeting, you don't go into the how's and why's of every number in your budget, every single time you work with them. You get a total for one specific thing, and then you just state it, because the proof of that total has been established elsewhere, and to put in those calculations every time just clutters things up. Proof that the community overwhelmingly doesn't like Halo 5's campaign has been established elsewhere.

Hell, I don't even mind the game personally, dude. I actually enjoyed it more than Halo 4's campaign, and I know I am definitely in the minority there, but my personal opinion isn't really relevant to the overarching point here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
People on this forum (or GAF) we're going crazy for Destiny 2 at release. They were defending it from every criticism imaginable. I ended up buying it, but this is too much. The $20 dlc's should be free, and the $40 dlc's should be $20. Charging so much for so little content with loot boxes thrown in is just so scummy.