• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is that I listened to the community. They told me how great Destiny 1 was in its third year (I stopped after 1 year), so I said to myself, why not ? It can go only up from there.

Lesson learned. I will never buy anything from this company ever again. Like I did with 343 after their fuck up with Halo Anniversary.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I love how their response is still "We're sorry, going forward we promise to be more transparent"

*happens again*

"We're sorry, going forward we promise to be more transparent".

The new Bungie cycle.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved D1, but there's no way on earth I'm buying D3. Can't trick me, Bungie.

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bungie is rather terrible. To be honest I mostly liked the original Halo trilogy. What they made after that was sort of whatever to me.

Destiny is shit. And its good to see they finally reap what they sow with it. Their PR and reactions to their community during the first game was arrogant. It had good gameplay, but even that was neutered in D2. That game is a joke. I sold it after 3 weeks. I liked early D1 PvP, whatever remnant I played in D2 was laughable. Honestly
buy titanfall 2

Nowadays gamers just drop this empty shell for something else. There are F2P games that offer more value.

Last edited:

Lucky241

Oct 31, 2017
the shores of Carcosa
I'm done with the game. Been done actually. Haven't played in months. I only keep following it because it's hard to look away from a dumpster fire.

When I see "We're listening" I picture those characters from South Park saying, "We're sorry." It's just patronizing at this point.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its sad to realize we would probably get a decent game after three expansions (maybe four) and everyone will forget about the issues since the game will fine after spending a lot of chash to fix the game

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Its sad to realize we would probably get a decent game after three expansions (maybe four) and everyone will forget about the issues since the game will fine after spending a lot of chash to fix the game
At this rate, I don't think we're getting a decent game out of Bungie anymore.

Personally dropped it after the Dawning event. Too much bs, I'm happier not playing it.

IAmAnAgnostic

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand why its so hard for Bungie to make content. I can't think of any other studio that is this incapable of creating new things for their already established world, tools and gameplay. Especially since its debatable if anything that was DLC for D1 was actually even made after D1 launched. (DLCs 1 and 2 were factually in game already, I gltiched to them pre-release, 3 and 4 could be seen in trailers and pre Vanilla release footage.. I say they only added the 'story' and spawned enemies)

And that's not even getting into the EDZ from D2 also being in pre D1 release footage and the assets in early D1 PVP maps.. And virtually no new enemies either!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I haven't heard a peep from fans regarding the division since the changes and everyone seems to enjoy playing it now. Borderlands 2 didn't get this type of blowback. Hell, even destiny 1 at year 3 with all the raids being up to max level was pretty much exactly where it needed to be for end game content. There's absolutely no reason to assume it can't be done or that people will be mad no matter what. Especially since destiny is close but continually gets fucked up by either bungie's own ineptitude or their apathy towards getting the game there (likely due to upper management from everything we've read).
The Division had tons of blowback and it took a long time for them to makes the changes and most of the population was long gone, Borderlands 2 didn't have this type of blowback but it also didn't have a constant pipeline of content, once the season pass was done than that was the end of most of the content. So again the point is it takes time. it's not an overnight thing and you want to pretend it is.
And? Everybody was wrong. It's Destiny 0.5.

You're not fooling anyone when you're saying you don't want to start a Fight BTW.

Get out of my face Juan.
I don't think it's that bad, It certainly has issues but I definitely don't think it's Destiny 0.5

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why its so hard for Bungie to make content. I can't think of any other studio that is this incapable of creating new things for their already established world, tools and gameplay. Especially since its debatable if anything that was DLC for D1 was actually even made after D1 launched. (DLCs 1 and 2 were factually in game already, I gltiched to them pre-release, 3 and 4 could be seen in trailers and pre Vanilla release footage.. I say they only added the 'story' and spawned enemies)

And that's not even getting into the EDZ from D2 also being in pre D1 release footage and the assets in early D1 PVP maps.. And virtually no new enemies either!

Because Content isn't really the problem. The problem is the value cycle.

If I made a game where the goal was to earn money and I gave you 5 activities to chose from.
Play a mission - 10 minutes
Play a dungeon - 15 minutes
Play in the sandbox - 5 minutes
Play PvP - 10 minutes

And everyone of those activites gave you $100 in game bucks, what have I just done? I've made 75% of my game obsolete. This is going all the way back to the launch of Destiny 1. The loot cave was a product of the game starving the players of rewards. At no point in Destiny has the playerbase ever really felt like they were swimming in rewards (I take that back, year 3 iron banner where you were getting purples at the end of almost every game was great).

Bungie's philsophy seems to be keep everything out of the players reach, because the only reason they'll come back is because they're all completionists. I argued against this point back in they day, because players who want everything is not the right demographic to balance your entire system around.

I know Bungie has all these grand plans for everything over the course of this year, but something they could do now, as in a patch could be ready to go next week, would be to adjust loot values so that everything drops way more, and your rewards are based on time invested. The former should literally just be adjusting some variables, the later might take more than a week depending on how their system works.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much yes, I actually log on every friday to get the three exotics from Xur which can be upgraded for the next expansions (wtf) plus a random chance to get another exotic with Xur, why would I bother playing other activities.

You can also dismantle the exotics to get a small refund to buy more exotics later one.

Who came with this idea.

Oct 28, 2017
The sad thing is that I listened to the community. They told me how great Destiny 1 was in its third year (I stopped after 1 year), so I said to myself, why not ? It can go only up from there.

Lesson learned. I will never buy anything from this company ever again. Like I did with 343 after their fuck up with Halo Anniversary.

To be fair, Halo 5 is probably the best Halo game ever made in terms of multiplayer quality. And it's at least good as a single player game. I'd recommend you give 343 a chance. It's been a while since their many mistakes and it seems MS has listened and given them the time/budget necessary to make a great product instead of a lame duck.

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I bet a lot of people are telling themselves this but when the D3 trailer comes out with a popular rock song in the background and cool explosions they will pre-order.
Well, I didn't even touch DLC1 and won't touch DLC2 even though I paid for it.
So yea, I won't be preordering Destiny 3.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why its so hard for Bungie to make content. I can't think of any other studio that is this incapable of creating new things for their already established world, tools and gameplay.

Honestly this is one of the more baffling things to me regarding the whole Destiny thing. Bungie is one of the bigger studios in the industry, with better monetary conditions than most, a 10 year plan that should offer extra stability on top of that and after working on this franchise for 7 years they have produced less content for it than some independent studios manage to do in 1-2 years. Add to that the divisive quality of the actual content, the constant inane decisions that hamper it and how they always find a way to shit on their customers and clearly Bungie is one of the worst examples of a Developer being mismanaged in this industry. I don't know how much of this is due to Activision's presence but i hardly think that Bungie's upper staff is free of blame.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Destiny isn't the worst series I played this generation, but it's the series I most wish I hadn't wasted my time and money on.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Wow there are ALOT of in-the-closet Destiny 2 players in the thread...no other game has this number of people that claim they quit the game that are still playing. Same thing with Battlefront 2...the vocal criticism isn't matching up with the player numbers or otherwise this game would be where Lawbreakers and Brink is.

Claiming that Destiny 2 is the worst game, saying you don't or never will play it, then going home to play it seems to be the popular thing to do. No wonder Bungie is so slow to make changes.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow there are ALOT of in-the-closet Destiny 2 players in the thread...no other game has this number of people that claim they quit the game that are still playing. Same thing with Battlefront 2...the vocal criticism isn't matching up with the player numbers or otherwise this game would be where Lawbreakers and Brink is.

Claiming that Destiny 2 is the worst game, saying you don't or never will play it, then going home to play it seems to be the popular thing to do. No wonder Bungie is so slow to make changes.

How many millions of people bought Destiny 2? How many are still playing? How many people posted in this thread? Somewhere in there is your answer. You can figure it out.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

How are you measuring who plays Destiny 2 and who doesn't?

I have yet to actually buy Destiny 2 because I was very upset with the way Bungie was communicating with the playerbase back during D1. I'm still subbed to the subreddit, and I still check out the threads. I may not have played the game, but I've got a pretty solid understanding of the issues.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

lets say that there are not that many people that actually quit and the majority are still playing

can the people who are posting not just be a vocal minority? so... the numbers could match up?

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Destiny fans not trying to derail or anything just a suggestion..go play some The Division i think you will like it how the current state of this game is, i even tweeted about it and got some responses from destiny fans they are playing it and liking it because it just works. The game is has come along way and it is something that bungie could learn a thing or two same what blizzard did with diablo 3.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
How many millions of people bought Destiny 2? How many people posted in this thread? Somewhere in there is your answer. You can figure it out.

How are you measuring who plays Destiny 2 and who doesn't?

I have yet to actually buy Destiny 2 because I was very upset with the way Bungie was communicating with the playerbase back during D1. I'm still subbed to the subreddit, and I still check out the threads. I may not have played the game, but I've got a pretty solid understanding of the issues.

Is that what you took from what I wrote? Let me say it more clearly (because I don't want to name names): there are people in this thread here saying that D2 sucks and how terrible it is, how it is the worst game this gen or how Bungie doesn't know what they are doing or are anti-consumer and how they stopped playing...but if you look at other Destiny threads, they are actually playing more than the average person like me that likes the game!

Many Destiny 1 superfans seem to have an addiction to Destiny specifically...it's even worse on Twitter...they dislike the game and commiserate with others that do, but the only other recent multiplayer FPS games are CoD and they have already blown through and are mostly bored of the 2016 shooters like Battlefield 1/Titanfall 2/Overwatch/R6 Siege.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

The burden of proof is on you here. How can you support what you are saying? How do you know that people in here are doing as you say? If you make that sort of statement, you better have some stuff to back it up.
Unless you are just making an inflammatory post to down people that are criticizing Bungie.

If these people are in the OT talking about how much they play Destiny, then they can't be in the closet by definition.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

what? Halo Anniversary was fine!

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly forgot all about Destiny 2. I was hooked with 1 and jumped in day 1 for D2, but it doesn't have the hook or draw that D1 had. The game is significantly broken and doesn't feel as deep as the original. Honestly this last DLC was the first content I didn't play on day 1. Bungie has only themselves to blame because the community told them to communicate and be more open during the Destiny 1 years and they had a good game to keep people playing. Now with Destiny 2 being what it is, they won't be able to continue to drag their feet.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that what you took from what I wrote? Let me say it more clearly (because I don't want to name names): there are people in this thread here saying that D2 sucks and how terrible it is, how it is the worst game this gen or how Bungie doesn't know what they are doing or are anti-consumer and how they stopped playing...but if you look at other Destiny threads, they are actually playing more than the average person like me that likes the game!

Fair enough on your second point but, IMO, calling out people directly like that and then saying you don't want to name names is not a good look. It's also not how your original post reads, but more like a generalization of everyone posting. I, for example, haven't even played Destiny 2 because i got burned on the first one, but i still like to follow what happens to it. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

"..., but not giving a f***."

lol this is pretty much it.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just read the thread title and thought: "Ironic?". But it was serious.

After my experience with the first game I passed on the second as I already knew it would be the same mess!

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Fair enough on your second point but, IMO, calling out people directly like that and then saying you don't want to name names is not a good look. It's also not how your original post reads, but more like a generalization of everyone posting. I, for example, haven't even played Destiny 2 because i got burned on the first one, but i still like to follow what happens to it. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

I never said everyone, just alot...you can do a search for the other recent Destiny 2 threads and compare...I don't know what personal issues people are going through (someone in this thread claimed in another thread that this game was causing them depression) so I didn't want to go there.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Same thing with Battlefront 2...the vocal criticism isn't matching up with the player numbers or otherwise this game would be where Lawbreakers and Brink is.

Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2 are much more larger market games compared to Brink or Lawbreakers. The vocal minority that are extremely critical of the game are a lot less of the total playerbase for games with bigger markets. The comparison of Destiny 2 and Lawbreakers is nonsensical.

The group on this website (whether they like the game or not) even discussing Destiny 2 most likely makes up a much smaller percentage of the total playerbase compared to something like Lawbreakers, for example.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I hopped off the wagon. I mean, I was so bored mostof the time but seeing them go this route is really sad. I wonder if Destiny 3 is going to be fantastic and they can bounce back.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2 are much more larger market games compared to Brink or Lawbreakers. The vocal minority that are extremely critical of the game are a lot less of the total playerbase for games with bigger markets. The comparison of Destiny 2 and Lawbreakers is nonsensical.

The group on this website (whether they like the game or not) even discussing Destiny 2 most likely makes up a much smaller percentage of the total playerbase compared to something like Lawbreakers, for example.

Come on, they don't believe they are the vocal minority...they believe that most gamers agree with them. People are claiming it is one of the worst games this gen, and certainly of 2017. The #1 sentiment from D2 critics is "Everyone I know has stopped playing and the player base has plummeted and no one streams the game, none of my clan mates are playing and none of my D1 friends are playing".

If that is not the general narrative then please correct me.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes wonder what Halo would be like had Bungie held on. Would 4 have been better? Would the online be as shitty as Destiny at this point?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think one problem a lot of people are omitting in their criticism is the piss poor engine Bungie built for Destiny. It was causing problems for them back in Destiny 1, with trivial parts of game development taking days to do. Now we have the story of Bungie being frustrated on how hard it is to make content.

If they don't change the engine for Destiny 3, it'll just be a repeat of now.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
My wife and I just finished the campaign for Destiny 2 because we badly wanted a game that would fill our Borderlands hole (we've put 300+ hours into both Borderlands and the Pre-Sequel).

Needless to say, Destiny 2 has proven to be a pretty horrible game from a complete package standpoint. Bungie seems unable to figure out how to make a cut scene link into gameplay. The story was horrible (so much so we grew increasingly annoyed everytime we were pulled away for one of the many cutscenes).

Its sad because the gunplay is excellent. The controlls are excellent. But my god the world and story wrapped around those elements are beyond horrible. Even the music was crap, which I did not expect at all from Bungie given how good Halo was with music.

Things I'd do to fix it:

- Reboot the whole story, its horrible. Get rid of every character and stop hiring Too Human character design artist (thats a joke, but the characters do look ridiculously video gamey and bad)
- Give a much wider variety of enemy designs, I felt like I was fighting the exact same enemies over and over again.
- Why am I being pulled into 3rd person in the farm/end game area? And if you are going to force us into that, why are the character animations so bad? These areas serious suck.
- Hire new voice actors for your key NPC's. At best they are bland, at worse they sound cheap.
- Change loot drops so they arent silly glow orbs, take borderlands method of actually showing the weapon/armor/item.
- More weapons with more variety please. I like modding the weapons and thats nice, but I really want substantially more from this.
- Why the hell is the skill tree so Tiny? Borderlands takes forever to get down your skill trees and it makes leveling up feel AMAZING! so why the heck are the skill trees here so tiny? It really kills replayablity.

Last edited:

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think one problem a lot of people are omitting in their criticism is the piss poor engine Bungie built for Destiny. It was causing problems for them back in Destiny 1, with trivial parts of game development taking days to do. Now we have the story of Bungie being frustrated on how hard it is to make content.

If they don't change the engine for Destiny 3, it'll just be a repeat of now.

Because you can only use that excuse so many times.

Now that we know Destiny 2 had a similar "Throw it all out and start over" situation happen just like Destiny 1. It's no wonder the game felt like it was missing more than it was gaining.

Again, it's no secret that all through Bungie's career, they dream big, and have to trim away a lot to actually put out a game. This is still happening. They need better project managers who can better estimate how long certain aspects are going to take so they can actually get something finished in a timely manner, instead of shitting the bed 6 months before release and just taking whats left and stapling it together hoping no one notices.

Hint: Everyone fucking notices...

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You want my support chat log? And my uninstall log from Battlenet?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly this is one of the more baffling things to me regarding the whole Destiny thing. Bungie is one of the bigger studios in the industry, with better monetary conditions than most, a 10 year plan that should offer extra stability on top of that and after working on this franchise for 7 years they have produced less content for it than some independent studios manage to do in 1-2 years. Add to that the divisive quality of the actual content, the constant inane decisions that hamper it and how they always find a way to shit on their customers and clearly Bungie is one of the worst examples of a Developer being mismanaged in this industry. I don't know how much of this is due to Activision's presence but i hardly think that Bungie's upper staff is free of blame.
Rebooting both games during development probably didn't help.

I'm amazed at the lack of content. With that many staff, can it really be that hard to put out a new raid every so often?

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
It's sad to see the industry hop on the 'Games as a Service bandwagon, but precious few studios can actually justify it.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The constant apologies are a disingenuous. These aren't bugs that people are complaining about; they're hidden things that slow progression etc. Those are things that were implemented after deliberation: they didn't happen by accident, Bungie knew what they were doing, and that's why they hid them.

If people hadn't noticed, they wouldn't be apologising, they'd be congratulating themselves on having successfully pulled the wool over their customers' eyes.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Come on, they don't believe they are the vocal minority...they believe that most gamers agree with them. People are claiming it is one of the worst games this gen, and certainly of 2017. The #1 sentiment from D2 critics is "Everyone I know has stopped playing and the player base has plummeted and no one streams the game, none of my clan mates are playing and none of my D1 friends are playing".

If that is not the general narrative then please correct me.

I don't speak for what other people think, I'm just speaking the nature of popular opinion generally being different than a vocal minority that has different characteristics.

That whole "everyone I know has stopped playing the game" sentiment holds true for me. All of my friends have stopped playing the game. I would say upwards of 75% of my friends have no interest (at least this is what they've said after promptly quitting the game and returning to other loot-based games) in returning until maybe the TTK-esque expansion. However, that doesn't lead me to believe that everybody has stopped playing. Not everybody shares the same tastes preferences as myself and my friends, as what I have is just an anecdote.

I think you assuming what everyone else thinks (you've done this in multiple threads, where you just project your opinion of the "hardcore" to almost the entire population of people being critical) is just as nonsensical as the people on an enthusiast gaming forum thinking they speak for everyone that plays a game that has probably sold near or over 10 million copies. It's entirely possible for people to be VERY critical of Bungie and also have enough self-awareness to realize that they may not share the same opinions as everyone else playing the game. I'm willing to bet most people around here are at least that self-aware.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Division had tons of blowback and it took a long time for them to makes the changes and most of the population was long gone, Borderlands 2 didn't have this type of blowback but it also didn't have a constant pipeline of content, once the season pass was done than that was the end of most of the content. So again the point is it takes time. it's not an overnight thing and you want to pretend it is.
I don't think it's that bad, It certainly has issues but I definitely don't think it's Destiny 0.5
I never said it was an overnight thing. But borderlands never got the blowback, not at reease and not after. And the fact that they got it right with year 3 destiny only to walk all that progress back is more insulting to me then a first game releases in a series and struggles to hit that sweet spot. The fact of the matter is it can be done, it isn' guaranteed to be a failure people will complain about no matter what when there are cases where that's not the case and when the very series in question had it figured out before reverting everything. Bungie isn't the height to be compared to in this genre. Someone will come along and do it right the first time.

Last edited: