• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
We've seen community discussion around XP gain in Destiny. After reviewing our data, we agree that the system is not performing the way we'd like it to. Today, we'd like to describe what's going on under the hood, and talk about what you can expect going forward when it comes to earning XP in Destiny 2.

Currently, XP will scale up when playing longer or fixed duration activities like Crucible competitive multiplayer matches and the Leviathan Raid, and XP will scale down when playing activities that can be quickly, repeatedly chained, like grinding Public Events. We are not happy with the results, and we've heard the same from the community.

Effective immediately, we are deactivating this system.

As a result, players will see XP earn rates change for all activities across the board, but with all values being displayed consistently in the user interface. Over the course of the next week, we will be watching and reviewing XP game data to ensure that these changes meet our expectations, as well as yours. Any additional updates to this system will be communicated to you via our official channels.
https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46494

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Acting as if it's not working as intended, ok. Some poster called out that they would respond with that.

Oct 25, 2017
"We designed a system that would reward players less, the more time they spent playing. This was meant to encourage loot box purchases. We got caught and we're removing it from the game."

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame we only hear so swiftly about community feedback when it ties into something microtransaction related.

"We designed a system that would reward players less, the more time they spent playing. This was meant to encourage loot box purchases. We got caught and we're removing it from the game."
That's my take. It's really hard not to be this skeptical in gaming these days. You can't trust a single one of these developers or publishers when it comes to this stuff.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
The dishonesty inherent to the system they created is what really gets me here. There's no indicator outside of the test that players did to show players that they are being penalized in terms of XP gains. The game makes it seem like XP gain is consistent despite XP throttling pretty substantially behind the scenes.

To me, this isn't a game balance issue with the game like predatory lootboxes tend to be. The fact that it was knowingly designed and implemented in a deceitful way really bothers me.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Didn't really care for the XP rewards after you hit the level cap, but it's nice to know when you're gonna hit a new level to get those bright engrams.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I can't believe this was a thing. This year has been filled with as many scummy AAA developer/distributor decisions as it's been amazing games.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
"We rigged the system and we would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids."

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
Lame, but eh, whatever. I'm willing to bet every single game with MTs has something like this, we just haven't found others. I don't buy any of it, so I don't really care.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Improving the rate at which one earns Bright Engrams (entirely cosmetic gift boxes) does not even begin to address the myriad of problems this game is plagued with, and Bungie has, in the past, demonstrated that they're very much a "one step forward, two steps back" sort of developer. This fix is effectively just blowing hot air.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck off Bungie. Acting like if it isn't how the real system made to work

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Man I almost want to believe it wasn't intentional, only because the idea that no one would catch on is so comically absurd. Almost.

What the fuck happened to you gaming? Yo ass used to be beautiful.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Just like EA, the blatant lying is almost funny. "The system is not performing the way we wanted it to," "this was never our intent," "we want to be honest with our community" and whatever else they say when they're caught trying to cheat people in some way.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
This is too little too late for me

I'll reinstall D2 when (if?) they fix the nonsense that's plaguing this release

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I've lost count of the terrible decisions bungie has made regarding this game. It's almost like they ignored all the criticisms of D1

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
Still sad I even got a free key to Destiny 2 with my GPU, everything about this game just becomes more and more displeasing.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do these guys even realise that their target market are the biggest nerds on the planet? Surely it was only a matter of time before some smart ass caught them out.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta admit that was a beautifully created statement to deflect criticism.

Just go to reddit now for game tuning.

Zone

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it was an actual system that was capping the XP goes to show it was intentional...

Funny how they can turn the system off for getting caught capping XP on players, but an emote took them weeks to fix and even had to delay Trials for 2 weeks. It's honestly laughable at this point.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Working on a Thanksgiving weekend in a panic that this anti-consumer practice would blow up in their faces like a bad PR bomb. Shameful.

Nov 2, 2017
So the xp you get will be displayed accurately, but now you are rewarded less for completing the same tasks as before.

Well I guess Bungie is joining EA, UBI, and Activision on my boycott list.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It would have been somewhat better to say...sorry...we're turning it off than to try and pretend they agree that they didn't like it.

I may not have had much of an issue with XP in D2, but to basically lie about it instead of owning the issue is worse than the practice itself to me.

Now I'm upset.

So the xp you get will be displayed accurately, but now you are rewarded less for completing the same tasks as before.

No, that's what is happening now. They are turning that off.