• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Guess the 10 year plan didnt quite pan out, unless it DID take into account splitting off from Activision.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
Until now most of th Destiny flaws and shady practices comes from Bungie, and not Activision (see old DTR podcast where they talk with Jason Shreier about Eververse).

If Bungie doubled down on the very hardcore with the recent expansions, it's mainly because they had nothing else left, not because some sort of "wake up" from them.

I can see why the remaining D2 fans are happy with this news, but Bungie is no longer the studio they once were. And without any big publisher income and control of their work we know what happens when they try something special: trainwreck.

Hey Trim! OMG it has been so long since you posted in Destiny threads! How have you been? We all thought you were gone for good.

How is life?

Oct 30, 2017
Is the Destiny lore and world that popular. Maybe they should work on a new IP or Msncan buy them back and have them make a Halo RPG.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
After MS an now Activision, maybe they wil go meet EA and finish like all thoses beloved studios

giphy.gif

Nov 14, 2017
Guess the 10 year plan didnt quite pan out, unless it DID take into account splitting off from Activision.
It did. The original deal was that they wouldn't be allowed to publish any new Destiny for two years after the end of the contract, but it's possible Activision agreed to let that go to get out of the deal early. Either that or Bungie might have given them some money, or agreed to forgo some future royalty payments. Either way, the deal got done.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Probably good for Bungie, Activision can't be the easiest parent company to deal with.
But having tested the D2 version that came with PS+ I have to say the story in the game made me stop playing within about 10 minutes and uninstall. I don't think that can be fixed unfortunately.

But the best for all studios is to be independent. Screw big companies acquiring smaller ones. That goes for all businesses like what the big tech companies too. I can't stand it.

You know that Bungie is 700+ persons studio? :D They are not small. And because of that currently they are unsustainable as independent unless they find a lot of new projects to work on.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well as someone who just recently got into Destiny 2 and enjoys it that's amazing news! I hope the game and any future games of them will be better without Activision squeezing so hard on the money-making side of things.

MeatSim1

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
That's absolutely incredible! How the hell did Bungie manage to pull off a publisher escape not once, but twice!?

And how on earth did they manage to negotiate the rights to actually keep the IP!? That's absolute madness! I can't even begin to imagine how they pulled that one off! (It must have had something to do with that initial contract; there must've been some sort of out-clause that they took advantage of!)

They actually managed to throw up a middle finger at Activision and win doing so! That's amazing!

Do wonder how exactly they're going to be able to keep supporting the game/series on their own now though... Perhaps they'll just scrap plans for the 3rd game and just go with something completely new with a whole new publisher? (probably either Ubisoft or Sony).

I don't think Activision are too bothered tbh, Forsaken didn't meet their sales target. Bungie would have had the IP secured in their original agreement. Now they have to self publish like they tried after they left Microsoft which didn't work out and they had to go under Activisions wings.

I want this to be good news for Bungie and Destiny, but remain cautious.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
What about Vicarious Visions? It probably means it's the end of them working on Destiny, which is a shame. They were instrumental in paving the road for Forsaken with Warmind. A lot of content that worked in Forsaken was first tested in the second DLC.

I am kinda scared for the franchise, to be honest. If Bungie had problems with content when they were supported by two other studios then I am not sure how they are planning to avoid that when they are alone.

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bungie, under the wings of Microsoft, created 3 Halo games.
Left Microsoft because they wanted to be independent.

Didn't work out, joined Activision.
Pumped out 2 games ... leave Activision, wanted to be independent.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What about Vicarious Visions? It probably means it's the end of them working on Destiny, which is a shame. They were instrumental in paving the road for Forsaken with Warmind. A lot of content that worked in Forsaken was first tested in the second DLC.

I am kinda scared for the franchise, to be honest. If Bungie had problems with content when they were supported by two other studios then I am not sure how they are planning to avoid that when they are alone.
It would be a hell of loot raid if VV went with Bungie, those guys love Destiny

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2017 ... Destiny 2 was received eh, poorly.
2018 ... Activision stated that Destiny 2 sales (including Forsaken) was not meeting expectations.
2019 ... Bungie "cuts" away from Activision (should be the other way around).

Think this is just Activision's way of letting a franchise (which is declining in sales) go. I'm glad Bungie is free now ... but I am really-REALLY anxtious to see what's gonna happen to Destiny itself.
Yeah seems like Activation soured on this series when it went into decline and didn't meet their expectations so they cut it loose.

People are spinning that into this being some sort of miracle for Bungie.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8

Vicarious Visions are probably working on a new Crash Bandicoot game, doubt we'll see them do any more work on Destiny

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah seems like Activation soured on this series when it went into decline and didn't meet their expectations so they cut it loose.

Let's ask the COD devs how they've met Activision's expectations

Or wait let's ask Blizzard how this is working out for them as well.

Some of y'all chomping at the bit. Imagine going to bat for Activision.

Not saying Bungle haven't shit the bed on several occasions.

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Bungie had trouble pumping out content ... had 2 other studio's working alongside them .. we got Curse of Osiris (meh) and Warmind (yay). Forsaken did alot of things right ... but now, having cut away from Activision, it means Bungie is all alone. No way is the studio big enough to give us a steady stream of content...

Oct 25, 2017
In practice this should mean the content cycle of Destiny can change since everyone working on one game for once would be a miracle. Versus having the main team immediately dump out a final product and move onto a new one.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You know that Bungie is 700+ persons studio? :D They are not small. And because of that currently they are unsustainable as independent unless they find a lot of new projects to work on.

Yeah I know. But if they are unsustainable as an independent they will be under a parent company too. I guess they could hire out a lot on contracts to other companies but it sounds like they are too big for the income they make.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
What we
Bungie, under the wings of Microsoft, created 3 Halo games.
Left Microsoft because they wanted to be independent.

Didn't work out, joined Activision.
Pumped out 2 games ... leave Activision, wanted to be independent.

and took 100M from netease...yeah know...the guys who are doing Diablo Immortal. Yeah those guys. https://www.scmp.com/tech/enterpris...k-its-appeal-western-gamers-even-it-out-sells

My guess the money was down payment to just buy them.

There is a good chance Bungie messed up. Their problems could have been more them than activisions publishing. Part of the issue was not just when stuff came out but what was delivered. This move with Netease seems desperate, much like the diablo one. Don't know. But I don't think this is a good thing. Maybe its good news for chinese gamers.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Bungie had trouble pumping out content ... had 2 other studio's working alongside them .. we got Curse of Osiris (meh) and Warmind (yay). Forsaken did alot of things right ... but now, having cut away from Activision, it means Bungie is all alone. No way is the studio big enough to give us a steady stream of content...

Maybe they will change the way content is delivered and also the nature of that content. I never invested in Destiny because the whole way content was added and priced seemed ridiculous to me.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
what you think is the estimated value of Bungie? I imagine they are worth more than Respawn which was valued at <$500m when EA bought them. Destiny is certainly more valuable than Titanfall. They should worth like close to a billion.

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad they cut ties with Activision. This, in a way, allows Bungie to tell the story they've always wanted to tell. Because they had it all planned out in Destiny 1 ... but that shit went right out the window thanks to Activision.

But this also might have a downside to it all. Bungie is nowhere near big enough to supply the Destiny players with a steady stream of content.. which is needed to keep players invested in their IP.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I know. But if they are unsustainable as an independent they will be under a parent company too. I guess they could hire out a lot on contracts to other companies but it sounds like they are too big for the income they make.

At least they had Activision that was willing to put serious money into marketing that helped them move units. Also Activision was one who paid bills.

I'm glad they cut ties with Activision. This, in a way, allows Bungie to tell the story they've always wanted to tell. Because they had it all planned out in Destiny 1 ... but that shit went right out the window thanks to Activision.

But this also might have a downside to it all. Bungie is nowhere near big enough to supply the Destiny players with a steady stream of content.. which is needed to keep players invested in their IP.

Bungie is big enough, but they are not efficient enough. They have manpower but tools and workflows are nightmare.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good. Now we need to get Blizzard out there too asap! Fuck Bobby Kotick and Activision so hard. Scum company

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let's be honest here. They'll probably end up partnering with another large publisher like IO did with Hitman. All these large publishers think the same way. Activision isn't special at all. Ubi, EA, WB, etc they all pull the same crap.

It will be difficult to self publish a AAA scale game like Destiny on their own.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Are you telling me that the franchise has a chance now? I wish they stick with their original vision now or better create a completely new sci-fi IP.

That's big news though and I'm certain they are for the better. More game,less marketing please

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Pleased for Bungie that they have their independence and can work on exactly what they want.

I'm also a bit worried about what this news means for Blizzard. Given the news about them and Activision recently I bet they're thinking I wish we were in Bungie's situation now. Hopefully the future and direction of Blizzard's games won't be affected now that they're pretty much Activision's only big IPs besides of course COD.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Essentially zero. Unless Bungie goes huge out of pocket for little to no return. Most likely Destiny 3 will be wrapped up ASAP and put out there as the same product as D2. Destiny 2 and 1 were Bungie's vision. It's not gonna change.
I see. I don't play MP games, especially online ones. I thought maybe with this development, we could get a Destiny game with a rich SP offline campaign.

Why does it have to be 30 hours all the sudden.
It does not. 30 is an arbitrary representation of "long enough". It's my personal sweet spot.

Pretty high.

So long as you're referring to a new IP.

Seems a lot of people don't want Bungie to make the game they want to make.

I would take a new IP too TBH but as someone who has never played Destiny, I am curious about it. Just not an MP person though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
what you think is the estimated value of Bungie? I imagine they are worth more than Respawn which was valued at <$500m when EA bought them. Destiny is certainly more valuable than Titanfall. They should worth like close to a billion.

Bungie is obviously very valuable, but their value will be very dependent on what type of publisher they choose to work with.

For instance, Activision seemingly couldn't help them with their engine, efficiency, management problems, or lack of vision for Destiny. A good publisher could help them with those things and help them get quality content out in a more reasonable amount of time. I think Destiny would have turned out very different if they had partnered with say, Ubisoft. Who is a dramatically better managed publisher than Activision.

If they were to go to EA, i don't think Destiny improves at all and i think we'd have another Activision situation all over again.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
It make too much sense a buyout by that platform holder without a fps flagship but they only care about tps....

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Pretending it doesn't count as a good game they released is complete nonsense. It has a full campaign -- the best they've done so far -- and an amount of content that rivals any yearly shooter that comes out.
Everything you see in Tangled Shore (which is where the whole main campaign is set) was done by High Moon studios.

Also Reach was their best campaign though

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It did. The original deal was that they wouldn't be allowed to publish any new Destiny for two years after the end of the contract, but it's possible Activision agreed to let that go to get out of the deal early. Either that or Bungie might have given them some money, or agreed to forgo some future royalty payments. Either way, the deal got done.

Or a third party banked rolled everything : curious

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Wow, a lot of people think activision was the only party responsible for destiny's fuck ups......hahaha.

Just wait for that MTX laiden netease franchise......