• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Bungie splits with Activision; retains ownership of Destiny IP

Jan 4, 2018
I feel like I'm talking a different language. The team that left Bungie and the team at Microsoft at the time are two totally different groups of people.

Them being on stage at Microsoft's stage does not mean they would be in their pocket. It just means Sony picked a poor year to skip E3.

If they want to show a preview of the only possible big stage there they have access to ( as the other stages belong to Ubi/EA/Bethesada) and won't have a Activision booth anymore.

Forget it, people are getting hurt at the possibility of them even breathing the same size as Microsoft.
I'm not saying that something like a showing by Bungie at E3, and even some indication of an acknowledgement of the new Bungie by MS on their stage isn't impossible, I'm just saying that something formal may not be in the mix for this year. As I said earlier, if there was some sort of joint presence, it'd be something subtle, with nothing that would fuel speculation of any type of relationship, beyond legacy, for now.

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
On the upside, if this is the end of Destiny, more people will return to GOAT Destiny - 3rd year Destiny 1. Better raids, better strikes, better weapons, better armor design.

For the easily outraged, yes, I know it's not the end of Destiny. Dare to dream though.
The community seems to largely be in agreement that Forsaken-era Destiny is the best in the franchise, so I don't know about this.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't part of the fall out with Marty stem from Activision deciding not to use his music for a trailer or something?
I forgot what triggered it but I thought it was related to a decision from Activision but the big wigs at Bungie took their side in the matter.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Yeah, I think the Activision thing was a part of it but that was more a straw that broke the camel's back to the situation. It sounded like the main issue was with Bungie heads feeling like Marty had too much power IIRC and them butting heads over creative decisions.

Oct 27, 2017
doubt bungie would go ms. Given this and their past ms experience is anything they would look for a deal with sony. But I imagine they want o be fully independant. Also with them wanting to own the ips i doubt any sony deal could happen

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, they’re going to need a huge amount of money to pay for the development of D3. They have quite a few employees, so that’s quite a few salaries. Dev costs are probably going to rise into the next generation as well.

This is honestly pretty bad news for the future of the franchise
Didn’t they recently get a 100 mil investment from NetEase?

Or was that for non Destiny stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this means something different will happen for a potentially Destiny 3 or if they'll work on a new IP. I personally wasn't too hot on Destiny so I'm crossing my fingers for a new IP, perhaps an online multiplayer FPS like Halo or CoD or even in a completely different genre

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
I wonder if this means something different will happen for a potentially Destiny 3 or if they'll work on a new IP. I personally wasn't too hot on Destiny so I'm crossing my fingers for a new IP, perhaps an online multiplayer FPS like Halo or CoD or even in a completely different genre
Destiny 3 is 100% happening. Their blog shows their commitment to the franchise but a new IP might also be happening alongside it.

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Who knows...but I think it is safe to say that Activision (as is EA) is just toxic.
to consumers yeah. I've spoken to people working at Activision and Beenox and they said two things that made me think otherwise: Bobby Kotick comes around on visit and is a friendly person and Actvision as a whole is very collaborative as we've seen with the non-Bungie-led DLCs to Destiny 2.

My take on these things is that, I know what it's like to have a very "suit" CEO of a company come on visit down in the dirt with the grunts. I interned at an IT firm last year and witnessed the firing of one of the HR managers due to untold reasons (but probably underperformance). As friendly as that CEO was, he was also hard-boiled business-oriented and did the whole business-smile thing which doesn't fool me. That does affect your mentality working in such a place and I have no doubt Activision leaders communicating frequently with Bungie's leads had an impact on their mentality. That said, Activision was also supportive and offered collaboration with their subsidiaries to get the planned content out on time, which of course impacted the quality of Destiny 2's DLCs. Heck, just Forsaken which I've been playing has a distinctly different vibe to it than Destiny ever had I think, just ever so slightly.

It's been both beneficial and detrimental to work with Activision. I think their profit-oriented deals hurt their product, particularly the agreement to annualize releases of fully priced products instead of just "Destiny". My biggest hope for Destiny 3 is actually that Bungie can make a Destiny 1 & 2 remix which is one game with all of the campaign, strikes, raids and PvP maps from Destiny 1 and 2 and then is prepared for further content additions, making it a truly expansive game-world that feels self-contained and not something which constantly divides its player base into classes of upper and lower class (like in england!); people who want to pay 40-60 dollars every year to keep playing Destiny vs people who end up just buying the game and drop out as they realize how insanely expensive it is to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 3 is 100% happening. Their blog shows their commitment to the franchise but a new IP might also be happening alongside it.
My guess would be that some level of work has already been going on for the next IP - just like how they were doing D1 work during the ODST timeframe.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about that, a lot of big games have gotten cancelled for the same reasons. The development for Halo 2 was a disaster and it came pretty close to not happening in the end. That being said, I'm glad MS didn't pull the plug on it, its a great game
What the fuck is this thread. Are some of you even old enough to remember these game launches? Halo 2 was the biggest entertainment launch of its time and was used as a vehicle for Xbox Live and set precedent for how online gaming would become the focus of the 360. In no way would Halo 2 have ever been cancelled, the entire Xbox ecosystem depended on it. I would love to hear of “other big games that have been cancelled” that are even remotely similar to the scale and importance of Halo 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with a lot of the comments here about destiny 3 being a sure thing, at least in the short term. I bet the work that they've been doing on a destiny 3 for Activision gets rolled into destiny 2. I think destiny becoming a platform is much more a reality now that Activision isn't there to mandate new sequels.

LQX

Oct 25, 2017
They left MS to lay up under Activision...yeah, many called it and saw these two not having a good split. To pay for your freedom from MS to then sign a 10 year contract with a company like Activision? Ridiculous.

May 9, 2018
Why so much hate for D2 ? I love jumping in from time to time. But on a serious note what’s going to happen with D2 as it’s on battle net launcher ?

Oct 26, 2017
Why so much hate for D2 ? I love jumping in from time to time. But on a serious note what’s going to happen with D2 as it’s on battle net launcher ?
Nothing, it'll stay up and continue as normal. It might come to other stores maybe, but Activision are probably still heavily invested in D2, so I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
I disagree with a lot of the comments here about destiny 3 being a sure thing, at least in the short term. I bet the work that they've been doing on a destiny 3 for Activision gets rolled into destiny 2. I think destiny becoming a platform is much more a reality now that Activision isn't there to mandate new sequels.
The game they're working on now is the big follow-up to the post-credits tease in Destiny 2, which I believe was meant to be the physical manifestation of the Darkness. I honestly do not think that's going to be rolled into Destiny 2.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'm going to make a prediction that might sound like a big undertaking but I truly believe that Bungie is thinking something along these lines.

I think Bungie knows that a separate sequel ended up being a mistake but at this point, it might be too convoluted to simply use Destiny 2 as a base going forward, especially as we are at the end of the console generation.

Because of that, I believe Bungie is working on "Destiny 3" to release in fall 2020 alongside the next generation of consoles. It will be marketed as the ultimate and final "version" of Destiny -- it will not only include a new campaign that acts as the "epic conclusion" to the fight against the Darkness but it will include the majority of areas and content from Destiny 1 and 2. In other words, this will be the game that many players thought we would be getting with the original Destiny --- an always changing universe that new planets are added to over the years. I can even see this PS5/Scarlet game simply being called "Destiny."

Perhaps unlikely, but I think something like that is what Bungie wants to do.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Bungie didn't even care that the D1 characters look like absolute shit when carried over to Destiny 2, so the disappointment started almost immediately.

vs

Hair is clipping into the face and its the same pathetic character creator as Destiny 1.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I seriously dont see how it's even possible for bungie to self produce destiny while making other products and getting a more consumer friendly destiny.

Oct 27, 2017
Right now the most popular game in the world, Fortnite, is a self-published client that is free to download a la carte, supports crossplay parallel PvE and PvP modes, is rapidly iterated through a regular update schedule, and is supported through a mix between seasonal content passes (that promote regular engagement) and cosmetic purchases.

If you want to know what Bungie is thinking for the future of Destiny, IMO that’s it.

Destiny’s peers, like Warframe, already embrace a similar model, and build onto a base game with regular updates when they are ready (instead of annual releases bound to retail, with all of the baggage that kind of release entails). I don’t know how far along D3 is, but I imagine this move telegraphs that D3 will be a Destiny client, and all future content will be a part of it.

Oct 25, 2017
these posts suggest they were doing anything but making money.

the issue is that they wanted to make even MORE money; not that they weren't making enough.
you have to spend money to make money, and the combination of not making enough, not spending on what's in the pipeline, and opportunity costs of having 2 of their studios work on something else means Activision could stand to gain more.

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously dont see how it's even possible for bungie to self produce destiny while making other products and getting a more consumer friendly destiny.
Yeah the fact that so many people itt think it’s possible and benificial for their games is suprising. This has to impact their plans for Destiny 3.

Have we even seen a single traditional $60 AAA title self published by a studio this generation? Because I don’t think we have.