• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Bungie and Activision are splitting up, an industry-shaking divorce that will see Destiny enter fully into Bungie's control.

This development comes after years of tension between the two companies—tension that has existed since before the first Destiny even shipped. Bungie delivered the news to employees during a team meeting this afternoon.

Destiny, which first launched in September 2014, has had a long and rocky road through expansions, updates, and a sequel. The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision's sales standards.

https://kotaku.com/bungie-splits-with-activision-1831651740

And officially

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
VV3QkCg.gif

No more bullshit from Activision thank god.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Big news, I'm not confident in Bungie's output recently but maybe we can see something special from them next without contracts to bind them.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Woah, this is a big deal.

Surprised to see them now publishing the game themselves. Wonder how this effects Activision's bottom line and where they'll now look for revenue.

Especially curious to see how Bungie handles releasing games going forward. Good for them though and confirms my faith in the game going forward.

(Copy and pasted from the other thread)

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa! Did NOT see that coming!

Not sure if this is good or not. They won't self publish, will they?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Remember the leak about D3 being more hardcore-oriented...? Well, seems likely now if Bungie is 100% in charge etc.

But who will publish this? I don't believe Bungie has the funds to make and publish such game.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This, is really good news hopefully. It also means that Bungie now will have to take full decision responsibility. I think they were in large part in control of the decisions. But there's always been a narrative on the sides of "It's Activision thats causing problems"

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
We'll finally get to see if all the shit decisions in Destiny was due to Bungie or Activision. My guess is obviously the latter.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Posting from the other thread.

Really happy with this news. No more external pressure and they can just make the game they want.

Pretty surprised Activision gave it up.