• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So in the end, with them no longer forced to pump out new content/seasonal passes...doesn't this mean we will be getting much less activities wise?

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they cut ties with Activision. This, in a way, allows Bungie to tell the story they've always wanted to tell. Because they had it all planned out in Destiny 1 ... but that shit went right out the window thanks to Activision.

But this also might have a downside to it all. Bungie is nowhere near big enough to supply the Destiny players with a steady stream of content.. which is needed to keep players invested in their IP.
Even Bungie had no idea what the story they wanted to tell was, they literally hired a guy near the end of development to write the lore on Grimoire cards... that much is known by now.

Bungie is 750 employee strong, that's bigger than any studio out there doing live service games with steady content stream (often more than Destiny).

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure how this is going to work when they are using so many Activition support studios. Wasn't Forsaken pretty much done by High Moon Studios?

Well, we will see. I'm definitely curious.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Even Bungie had no idea what the story they wanted to tell was, they literally hired a guy near the end of development to write the lore on Grimoire cards... that much is known by now.

Bungie is 750 employee strong, that's bigger than any studio out there doing live service games with steady content stream (often more than Destiny).
You mean after Joe Staten's story got thrown out, right?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You mean after Joe Staten's story got thrown out, right?
Yes. That also meant Marty got frustrated as he couldn't compose without knowing what the story was. I didn't say they had no story available to them, I meant they had no idea what story they wanted to tell as they couldn't agree to anything so there wasn't any "original vision" etc for the game because they never could agree on a particular vision. And even when considering other elements apart from the story this lack of agreement was around there too, for instance that reveal video was basically made at a time while they still had no clear goals of what they wanted Destiny to be with regards to structure etc.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Bungie always owned the IP, the agreement with Activision was just a 10 year publishing contract. Though it's quite likely that, in agreeing to let Bungie keep the IP, Activision had significant leverage in terms ranging across the rest of the agreement as a means to compensate for that fact.

I'm aware of this, but the poster I was responding to was taking issue with my question about Bungie working with future publishers, which is still an open question at this stage since there's nothing in the OP or the Bungie blog post that indicates otherwise.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why the remaining D2 fans are happy with this news, but Bungie is no longer the studio they once were. And without any big publisher income and control of their work we know what happens when they try something special: trainwreck.
We know this based on what evidence? Oh thats right, you have no evidence.

Trying something special/out of your comfort zone is a risk/reward scenario. Bungie's name alone still generates interest and discussion on their next product whether it is Destiny or something else entirely. If the execution is on point theres no reason why Bungie can't make this work.

You instantly anticipating a trainwreck is just the result of an extremely skewed vision of Bungie/Destiny and what appears to be a personal vendetta against anything they do because I don't know, they kicked your dog or something?

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
That is certainly interesting news. I'm excited to see what this means going forward. I suppose this means there could be an exclusivity deal down the line.

robocopswitch

Oct 2, 2018
I'm pretty split on this. I'm very excited for Bungie, but I hope they realize a game like this absolutely needs regular content drops and rebalancing to keep it fresh. They need to go way more in the direction of an MMO for the next one, and I hope they're engine is even more flexible for Destiny 3. The customer will benefit so much the easier Bungie makes it for themselves to produce and push new content on a regular basis.

But if this means it'll take Bungie 1.5 years to push out expansion packs, yeah I'm out. Not to mention the technical difficulties we'll face on the backend when D3 releases since it'll be the first time Bungie will integrate friendlists etc. I can only hope they go with Steam for integration with that and don't make another launcher/service for it.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Trying something special/out of your comfort zone is a risk/reward scenario. Bungie's name alone still generates interest and discussion on their next product whether it is Destiny or something else entirely. If the execution is on point theres no reason why Bungie can't make this work.

You instantly anticipating a trainwreck is just the result of an extremely skewed vision of Bungie/Destiny and what appears to be a personal vendetta against anything they do because I don't know, they kicked your dog or something?
I'm just stating facts.

It is now up to Bungie alone to prove me wrong. And I would be happy if they do so.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You shouldn't have responded to that.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved Halo 1. Halo 2 was ehhh but the Multi was nice. Halo 3 I wasn't a fan of, nor really any of the others after it. Destiny 1 and 2 were let downs.

Activision or no, I'm not getting fooled again by Bungie. For me they've had more misses than hits.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On another note, I don't think Bungie would have spoke about self-publishing in their statement if they were not aware of the costs to do so. I don't expect them to partner with a big publisher honestly, it appears they have enough bank to sustain them till D3.
You shouldn't have responded to that.
tumblr_najpksPTPl1tts3f4o1_500.gif

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I can totally see Activision being fed up with Bungie, they aren't exactly a well managed studio. I'm still wondering what Jason Jones has been up to since D1.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why everyone here is happy about the situation, Activision gave Bungie a lot of wiggle room and it was Bungie that decided to turn the game into a MTx route, as well as allowing them to delay both D1 and D2. Then there's lending them Vicarious Visions and High Moon to assist with content creation. Bungie is horribly mismanaged from what it sounds like and a studio as large as them going independent? Good luck.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd like to see a road map or something outlining changes. From my understanding Activision was the one forcing deadlines and pushing the game to be more casual friendly. With them gone destiny might even been something I'll won't have time for anymore and turn into something more akin to world of Warcraft.

It's great and all for them but be careful what you wish for, most of destiny bad decisions had little to do with Activision.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Looking ahead, we're excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

Hopefully this results in the games being better at launch. I really want to like Destiny, but I keep getting burned.

Jun 7, 2018
cause now theyre own dollars have to be invested

activision bankrolled them. Gave rhem leeway, twice on yearly delays. Had other studios lend support via dlc

bungie is on its own

now we will see if mismanagement and the bullshit was on them or a dev thumbed down by a publisher

who is going to pay the bills and how is bungie going to recoup money spent in advanced

not easy being self published, it has its own headaches
Well, I wont disagree with you there. Bungie has always wasted time it seems and they're always running into snags trying to get shit out on time. They seemingly always blamed it on the publisher, so we shall see how it goes.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 1 alone cost 500 million, Bungie does not have the money to self publish a Destiny 3
500 million wasn't for Destiny 1 alone. It was a long term investment to the whole franchise. And at least partly so big because they basically had to redo large portions of the game late into the development of the game.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them i suppose. They most likely will get into the mobile MTX craze going forward cause i dont see them having the bank to self publish a D3 scale game without a major pub.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why everyone here is happy about the situation, Activision gave Bungie a lot of wiggle room and it was Bungie that decided to turn the game into a MTx route, as well as allowing them to delay both D1 and D2. Then there's lending them Vicarious Visions and High Moon to assist with content creation. Bungie is horribly mismanaged from what it sounds like and a studio as large as them going independent? Good luck.

100% agree here. Everyone here seems to think Bungie, with their 300 person dev team, can survive on it's own without any financial backing from the likes of Microsoft or Activision is trippin, yo.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
That's wrong. 500m was for the whole franchise.
Fair enough, D1 cost 150 mil to make, the 100 mil they received from NetEase is for a new IP. If they had the money to self publish they wouldn't be looking for investments though would they? I don't see how they can maintain a studio of 700+ employees AND self publish their own games. It doesn't seem possible, at least not right now

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree here. Everyone here seems to think Bungie, with their 300 person dev team, can survive on it's own without any financial backing from the likes of Microsoft or Activision is trippin, yo.

Slight correction here, but Bungie had 750 employees as of 2016. So yeah.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 1 alone cost 500 million, Bungie does not have the money to self publish a Destiny 3
Wasn't the $500m a sum planned over 10 years, including marketing, to publish a number of Destiny games and expansions?

If they go strictly digital with a service oriented game ala Fortnite for their next game, probably 100% online mp, I guess self publishing makes sense.
Please god not another Battle Royale game though.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
500 million wasn't for Destiny 1 alone. It was a long term investment to the whole franchise. And at least partly so big because they basically had to redo large portions of the game late into the development of the game.
True, and they rebooted both games so I"m guessing that initial 500 mil investment was most likely not enough in the end. The studio is huge though, so keeping that running with so many employees doesn't seem plausible right now

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
True, and they rebooted both games so I"m guessing that initial 500 mil investment was most likely not enough in the end
Marketing included? Maybe not. But if Bungie exceeded 500 million for development, even with reboots, that would be pretty insane. I don't think even Rockstar spends that kind of money on game development and they are much bigger than Bungie & spend far longer getting their games out, to my understanding.

robocopswitch

Oct 2, 2018
What are the chances that Bungie opts not the release D3 on PC though? I just read the PC version is/was developed by the Activision owned studios, that's a pretty big shake up.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Marketing included? Maybe not. But if Bungie exceeded 500 million for development, even with reboots, that would be pretty insane. I don't think even Rockstar spends that kind of money on game development and they are much bigger than Bungie, to my understanding.
Pretty crazy when you think about it. Its not surprising Activision wasn't happy with what was going on with D2. I wonder just how much was invested in Destiny and just how much the series has made in total sales.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I read it, but is that just digital? Who's gonna be their distribution partners for physical copies? And will they still need a publisher for marketing and/or physical media game publishing?

That snippet from the blog doesn't give enough information.

Let's not pretend it does.

It said they are ready to publish. It didn't say they were looking for new partners (as it could have). It made it clear they want to self-publish.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That's wrong. 500m was for the whole franchise.
This is what needs to be remembered. Activision paid half a billion dollars, to one studio with 600-700 employees. So that they can make content on a schedule. This schedule also happens to be standard and common for service based games made by studios with much less funding and much less manpower.

Of course it'd raise eyebrows when the said studio is repeatedly unable to follow that common schedule even years later (which mind you Bungie themselves agreed to out of their own will and also managed to renegotiate to fit their "new schedule" until they were unable to follow that too and needed outside help).

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I think they mean other IP NetEase paid for a single game from them nothing more.
I know, but thats exactly my point, they need the investment to make the game happen which means they don't have the funds to develop and publish it themselves. At least that's what it looks like to me. If they do make it happen, then more power to them, I just don't see how Bungie stays a 700+ employee studio AND fund their own games as an independent

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I know, but thats exactly my point, they need the investment to make the game happen which means they don't have the funds to develop and publish it themselves. At least that's what it looks like to me
I don't see it as that it's not like the $500 million dollars from Activision is gone. It's more along the lines of hey we want to make a game but would like someone to fund it. I think it's less money problems and more that Bungie doesn't want to fund it.

I see why because people will easily throw money at them. It gives them more room to do other things with their money.