• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know how they are going to raise capital to fund the development of Destiny 3. They will probably need about $200 million to create and bring Destiny 3 to market. I wouldn't be surprised if they released it into early access.
Seriously, they're going to need a huge amount of money to pay for the development of D3. They have quite a few employees, so that's quite a few salaries. Dev costs are probably going to rise into the next generation as well.

This is honestly pretty bad news for the future of the franchise

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just wondering how people expect the Destiny franchise to become more consumer friendly. Bungie has lost a ton of their development help from High Moon (and others). They also have lost a huge amount of financial backing. I haven't heard of too many large independent developers self publishing massive AAA franchises successfully this generation, but I'd think Bungie would be doing whatever they can to monetize Destiny going forward.
They have a lot of options moving forward.
The biggest detractor for the series so far has seemed to be the fact that due to having to meet deadlines, Bungie was forced to abandon D1/2 immediately after release to build the next big expansion/game, while Activision studios supported them with the small expansions and/or content drops.
But now the foundation is there to build off of Destiny 3 and not have several teams running separately.
Short term revenue options while they work on D3 could include:
  • A mid sized expansion for D2, and releasing a complete edition on a new storefront.
  • Bringing over more old content and spaces from D1 and selling them as an expansion
  • More seasonal events that encourage MTX spending
All the while Destiny 3 could follow A Realm Reborn monetization.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch Destiny 3 be just as exploitative and MTX-ridden as 2 and the fanbase be forced to realize all that garbage can't be blamed on Activision.

Today's Bungie has nothing but contempt and derision for their community. Expect it.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
We're gonna find out Nintendo started this separating process by paying Activision for their losses on Destiny 2. In return, Activison allowed for Bungie to be secretly involved in developing Metroid Prime 4 this whole time. Now they're free and it's full steam ahead.

I'm joking.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet Activision didn't want to fund D3 and wanted Bungie to work on something new for next gen.

Hope Bungie drops Destiny and works on something better.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Great news for Bungie. I guess we'll see just how much influence Activision had on the quality of the games when the next installment is released.
It's a transitional period. The next year at least Activision will still be working with them I think since High Moon Studios (an Activision support studio) primarily developed Forsaken and its Y2 Annual Pass content.

Furthermore, Bungie will have to readjust into whatever culture this shift leads to. BioWare didn't become an EA tool the second they worked under them. It took all the way until Anthem before it became undeniably an "EA Studio" in my eyes.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
The one they just left? I am sure they made deals etc but the quicker the exclusive content drops, the better.
They may have left Acti but those deals are ones they can't drop since they weren't the ones to make them in the first place. That being said, it seems like that exclusivity was over anyway. I'm guessing that also made it easier for Bungie to leave Activision at this moment

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Way, way, way too premature for that. Honestly, I don't think we'll see Bungie announcing any type of partnership this year. The logistics of the break with Activision combined with the continued Destiny 2 support will take at least that long.
I'm not talking about a partnership, I'm just talking about them going on what will probably be the biggest showcase this E3 to show whatever. even if it's just to say "hi, we are allowed to acknowledge you again"

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
Watch Destiny 3 be just as exploitative and MTX-ridden as 2 and the fanbase be forced to realize all that garbage can't be blamed on Activision.

Today's Bungie has nothing but contempt and derision for their community. Expect it.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. While release cadence and marketing agreements for D1/D2 can be pushed to Activision, I always thought the MTX and DLC revenue went straight to Bungie, per their contract. I don't think we can assume Bungie is the white knight in their relationship with Activision.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If they had enough money to self publish a DESTINY 3, not existing Destiny 2 content, they wouldn't be taking money from NetEase. If you really think Bungie can fund the development and publishing of DESTINY 3 while maintaining a 700+ strong company then I don't know what to tell ya. Maintaining servers alone in house will be impossible, they couldn't even get dedicated servers with the backing from Activision. That blog post was incredibly vague, there isn't much to be inferred from that tbh. Like I said, you're in for a rude awakening if you really think they'll pull it off on their own. PR talk is PR talk

I don't have much to say to this other than that I disagree. They said they plan on self-publishing and I don't think they're lying, as you do.

I should note that I am currently at work and bouncing back and forth between Era and my job so I apologize for missing your reply.

I would like to thank you for antagonistically PMing me with, "No reply? Crickets, just like I thought," simply because I didn't reply to you within a 30 minute period. That's certainly not a childish thing to do and definitely doesn't show that you're obsessed with winning arguments on a message board about video games.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
They have a lot of options moving forward.
The biggest detractor for the series so far has seemed to be the fact that due to having to meet deadlines, Bungie was forced to abandon D1/2 immediately after release to build the next big expansion/game, while Activision studios supported them with the small expansions and/or content drops.
But now the foundation is there to build off of Destiny 3 and not have several teams running separately.
Short term revenue options while they work on D3 could include:
  • A mid sized expansion for D2, and releasing a complete edition on a new storefront.
  • Bringing over more old content and spaces from D1 and selling them as an expansion
  • More seasonal events that encourage MTX spending
All the while Destiny 3 could follow A Realm Reborn monetization.
How many successful self published AAA titles/franchises have we seen from independent studios this generation?

Like, how much will it cost yearly to pay the salaries of their employees while they develop the next Destiny game? You don't think this will lead to them trying to get the next game out quickly?

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
I'm not talking about a partnership, I'm just talking about them going on what will probably be the biggest showcase this E3 to show whatever. even if it's just to say "hi, we are allowed to acknowledge you again"

I get you. I'm still thinking no, if only because the Destiny marketing arrangement with Sony may not allow it. We may see something subtle, like Phil wearing a Bungie tee shirt during the conference, but nothing overt, IMO.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I don't have much to say to this other than that I disagree. They said they plan on self-publishing and I don't think they're lying, as you do.

I should note that I am currently at work and bouncing back and forth between Era and my job so I apologize for missing your reply.

I would like to thank you for antagonistically PMing me with, "No reply? Crickets, just like I thought," simply because I didn't reply to you within a 30 minute period. That's certainly not a childish thing to do and definitely doesn't show that you're obsessed with winning arguments on a message board about video games.
Your history says otherwise. That being said, I didn't say they are lying, you did. I said don't expect them to self publish Destiny 3 on their own. Have a good day, you're on my ignore list

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really important why they doubled down on the hardcore, only that they did and D2 is the best it's been ever (even if it's no longer for me) because of it.
I agree Bungie have no excuses now though, they have to nail D3/whatever they do next, ot being in that seemingly very toxic relationship will hopefully help.
The thing is, claiming "it's the best it's been ever" does not say much when it comes to Destiny unfortunately.
Fans are very loud, but this franchise still carries too many major flaws Bungie refuse to address (mabye because of time), and after all theses years the initial hype and promises have not been backed yet.

Now that they are free, they have all the time (money ?) to make Destiny what it should have been from the start, and finally address those issues.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's not like Bungie changed with the snap of a finger just because they're no longer with activision. Around 2010 Bungie grew in size almost tripled which led to increased corporate structure and office policies, and you can even see in the pre-Destiny release interviews that they all realized that they were the rebels at Microsoft because they didn't have to take care of all the financial safety, whereas now, they are the ones who have to be responsible for everything which is partly why they have become more corporate it seems.

It's not 100% Activisions fault that Bungie has been failing here and there lately, it's more a biproduct of it and not something I expect to change back to how it was before since the damage has already been done. They fired Marty and lost Joe Staten and other talent such as the art lead on the Halo franchise also left around 2015. They seem like a different company now imo.

I'm sure Bungie had some fault in a lot of the Destiny 1 shortcomings, and the failure of Destiny 2. I still believed Activision is the biggest culprit. Activision's greed is driven by profit margins, whereas, Bungie the original architects of Destiny, also may want the game to be successful in more ways than just sales.

I hope Bungie and Destiny the best. They provided very great gaming memories.

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie knew who they were getting in bed with, so I'm not ready to absolve them of their sins and rejoice over this. I'm going to wait and see whether or not they're leaving their greed behind.
Seems more like Activision didnt know who they were getting into bed with. At the end of the day, this is most likely going to be a win for Activision.

Some people actually believe Activision made Luke act like a fool when he said "You'll be throwing money at the screen!" when talking about micro transactions.

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
Seems more like Activision didnt know who they were getting into bed with. At the end of the day, this is most likely going to be a win for Activision.

Maybe, from an investment standpoint, but Activision has it's own problems. With Destiny gone, they're list of ongoing AAA IPs is pretty sparse. COD is a behemoth, but it's only one basket, and any fall off on COD demand especially with the annual cadence would sink them.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
How many successful self published AAA titles/franchises have we seen from independent studios this generation?

Like, how much will it cost yearly to pay the salaries of their employees while they develop the next Destiny game? You don't think this will lead to them trying to get the next game out quickly?

Also, Activison will probably still gets a cut of most of the Destiny 2 stuff they sell. They'll want something they built on their own as quickly as possible.

Overall i'm a bit surprised that so many in this thread seem to think that being independent means Bungie can be more ambitious and take more time to developp stuff while at the same time also reduce revenue streams like expansions and MTX. That's usually not how it works.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm sure Bungie had some fault in a lot of the Destiny 1 shortcomings, and the failure of Destiny 2. I still believed Activision is the biggest culprit. Activision's greed is driven by profit margins, whereas, Bungie the original architects of Destiny, also may want the game to be successful in more ways than just sales.

I hope Bungie and Destiny the best. They provided very great gaming memories.
I agree. But my point is also that Bungie as being part of Activision for 10 years has succumbed to Tone At The Top. They now have their own monetization experts and knowledge of driving profit-driven game objectives. I just think it's unlikely they'll be all "For the gamers" without some sort of catch any time soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Also I expect Destiny 3 to get delayed. I know it's not even announced or whatever, but internally they obviously have a date to aim for (or Activision did) and I think now they'll take it slow and not rush anything.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, they're going to need a huge amount of money to pay for the development of D3. They have quite a few employees, so that's quite a few salaries. Dev costs are probably going to rise into the next generation as well.

This is honestly pretty bad news for the future of the franchise

Yeah. I suspect that the things around gameplay may take a hit. High quality cut scenes and things like that may get cut.

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
Also, Activison will probably still gets a cut of most of the Destiny 2 stuff they sell. They'll want something they built on their own as quickly as possible.

Overall i'm a bit surprised that so many in this thread seem to think that being independent means Bungie can be more ambitious and take more time to developp stuff while at the same time also reduce revenue streams like expansions and MTX. That's usually not how it works.

I'd have to agree with you. Not sure how losing a primary financial backer, having a huge employee pool and REDUCING any existing revenue streams equals a new IP launch and a better product in the short term. The ugly business reality is that this may mean that Bungie will have to cut costs, which means cut staff in order to restructure their operations for the new reality.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Really hoping this signals the departure from Destiny and a movement towards a focus on their new IP. As much as i love Destiny, the lore and universe... i dont trust that a 3rd one will be anything more than another let-down in terms of end game content, playtime variety and DLC/Season passes.

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo Bungie on the Microeoft stage this E3 maybe?

Not as a purchased company or partnership but just because it will be the biggest stage this year.

It would make for a good moments and signal the end of content exclusive bullshit.

0% chance. They left MS for a reason. This is like people who actually thought there was a chance MS would buy Valve when, again, Newell left MS and formed Valve for a reason and has openly criticized them

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
0% chance. They left MS for a reason. This is like people who actually thought there was a chance MS would buy Valve when, again, Newell left MS and formed Valve for a reason and has openly criticized them

Microsoft back then was not the same Microsoft now.
Spencer seems like a cool guy ... he'll allow Bungie to make whatever the fuck they want and give the money needed...

Still, Bungie is not that good when it comes to deadlines ... we'll see.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly. The naivety displayed on here is shocking.

And that's why people shouldn't pre-order the game. Wait until it's out, get actual feedback from good-faith reviewers, and then decide.

I had so much fun playing D1 through HoW with my friends, and a good time with 2, but I didn't buy the DLC, and I'm happy that I didn't. I'd LOVE them to come around, but I make no apology for my apprehension.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft still holds a financial stake in Bungie and may still have right of first refusal for publishing any new IP they bring to the table.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Conversely if Bungie's next project is incredible and the mtx is set up differently and better(there are many models,) I guess that means all the bad was Activison's after all?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I agree. But my point is also that Bungie as being part of Activision for 10 years has succumbed to Tone At The Top. They now have their own monetization experts and knowledge of driving profit-driven game objectives. I just think it's unlikely they'll be all "For the gamers" without some sort of catch any time soon.

Yup. Money is money, but at least since Bungie conceived Destiny, they may also care more about the game's reputation and perception.

They also have another IP in the works, so maybe it was a conflict of interest with NetEase.

Who knows...but I think it is safe to say that Activision (as is EA) is just toxic.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I imagine a whole lot of people at Bungie will be laid off because of this. Not sure why people are celebrating it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I feel like I'm talking a different language. The team that left Bungie and the team at Microsoft at the time are two totally different groups of people.

Them being on stage at Microsoft's stage does not mean they would be in their pocket. It just means Sony picked a poor year to skip E3.

If they want to show a preview of the only possible big stage there they have access to ( as the other stages belong to Ubi/EA/Bethesada) and won't have a Activision booth anymore.

Forget it, people are getting hurt at the possibility of them even breathing the same size as Microsoft.

Oct 27, 2017
On the upside, if this is the end of Destiny, more people will return to GOAT Destiny - 3rd year Destiny 1. Better raids, better strikes, better weapons, better armor design.

For the easily outraged, yes, I know it's not the end of Destiny. Dare to dream though.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, because it's well known and detailed how the development of both Destiny 1 and 2 went.

I disagree. I think if the next game they make is better, the blame can be put on Activision. Sure there were tumultuous times at Bungie but it's hard to know how much of that was caused by Activision pressure putting everyone on edge. I'm looking forward to what Bungie's next game looks like and what Activision will do with hardly any ip.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, claiming "it's the best it's been ever" does not say much when it comes to Destiny unfortunately.
Fans are very loud, but this franchise still carries too many major flaws Bungie refuse to address (mabye because of time), and after all theses years the initial hype and promises have not been backed yet.

Now that they are free, they have all the time (money ?) to make Destiny what it should have been from the start, and finally address those issues.
I specifically mean D2 is the best it's ever been, not Destiny as a whole. I enjoyed D1 Y2 and 3 a lot more than I have D2 Y2, but I think Bungie have finally figured out exactly what they want Destiny to be.
I just gotta have faith they won't fuck up during development for the 3rd time in a row now, as without the Activision safety net, it could be a lot worse if they redo a bunch of stuff late in development.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is crazy. We knew they owned the IP from the Infinity Ward court documents, but Bungie must have spent a considerable amount of its bank to buy itself out of Activision. I hope they are able to survive with how mismanaged their game production pipeline appears to be. (Major delays and production issues on every game they have made since halo 2)

I imagine a whole lot of people at Bungie will be laid off because of this. Not sure why people are celebrating it.

Why do you expect layoffs? Destiny 3 is still in full production. Maybe if that flops they might layoff from a major game failure, but that would have happened under Activision too.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the upside, if this is the end of Destiny, more people will return to GOAT Destiny - 3rd year Destiny 1. Better raids, better strikes, better weapons, better armor design.

For the easily outraged, yes, I know it's not the end of Destiny. Dare to dream though.
Lol wrong on every sentence.

If this is the end of destiny its the end of destiny, those D1 servers are going down, so enjoy your pyrrhic, I guess.

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
I feel like I'm talking a different language. The team that left Bungie and the team at Microsoft at the time are two totally different groups of people.

Them being on stage at Microsoft's stage does not mean they would be in their pocket. It just means Sony picked a poor year to skip E3.

If they want to show a preview of the only possible big stage there they have access to ( as the other stages belong to Ubi/EA/Bethesada) and won't have a Activision booth anymore.

Forget it, people are getting hurt at the possibility of them even breathing the same size as Microsoft.

I'm not saying that something like a showing by Bungie at E3, and even some indication of an acknowledgement of the new Bungie by MS on their stage isn't impossible, I'm just saying that something formal may not be in the mix for this year. As I said earlier, if there was some sort of joint presence, it'd be something subtle, with nothing that would fuel speculation of any type of relationship, beyond legacy, for now.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The community seems to largely be in agreement that Forsaken-era Destiny is the best in the franchise, so I don't know about this.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't part of the fall out with Marty stem from Activision deciding not to use his music for a trailer or something?
I forgot what triggered it but I thought it was related to a decision from Activision but the big wigs at Bungie took their side in the matter.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Yeah, I think the Activision thing was a part of it but that was more a straw that broke the camel's back to the situation. It sounded like the main issue was with Bungie heads feeling like Marty had too much power IIRC and them butting heads over creative decisions.