• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
doubt bungie would go ms. Given this and their past ms experience is anything they would look for a deal with sony. But I imagine they want o be fully independant. Also with them wanting to own the ips i doubt any sony deal could happen

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, they're going to need a huge amount of money to pay for the development of D3. They have quite a few employees, so that's quite a few salaries. Dev costs are probably going to rise into the next generation as well.

This is honestly pretty bad news for the future of the franchise

Didn't they recently get a 100 mil investment from NetEase?

Or was that for non Destiny stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this means something different will happen for a potentially Destiny 3 or if they'll work on a new IP. I personally wasn't too hot on Destiny so I'm crossing my fingers for a new IP, perhaps an online multiplayer FPS like Halo or CoD or even in a completely different genre

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I wonder if this means something different will happen for a potentially Destiny 3 or if they'll work on a new IP. I personally wasn't too hot on Destiny so I'm crossing my fingers for a new IP, perhaps an online multiplayer FPS like Halo or CoD or even in a completely different genre

Destiny 3 is 100% happening. Their blog shows their commitment to the franchise but a new IP might also be happening alongside it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Who knows...but I think it is safe to say that Activision (as is EA) is just toxic.
to consumers yeah. I've spoken to people working at Activision and Beenox and they said two things that made me think otherwise: Bobby Kotick comes around on visit and is a friendly person and Actvision as a whole is very collaborative as we've seen with the non-Bungie-led DLCs to Destiny 2.

My take on these things is that, I know what it's like to have a very "suit" CEO of a company come on visit down in the dirt with the grunts. I interned at an IT firm last year and witnessed the firing of one of the HR managers due to untold reasons (but probably underperformance). As friendly as that CEO was, he was also hard-boiled business-oriented and did the whole business-smile thing which doesn't fool me. That does affect your mentality working in such a place and I have no doubt Activision leaders communicating frequently with Bungie's leads had an impact on their mentality. That said, Activision was also supportive and offered collaboration with their subsidiaries to get the planned content out on time, which of course impacted the quality of Destiny 2's DLCs. Heck, just Forsaken which I've been playing has a distinctly different vibe to it than Destiny ever had I think, just ever so slightly.

It's been both beneficial and detrimental to work with Activision. I think their profit-oriented deals hurt their product, particularly the agreement to annualize releases of fully priced products instead of just "Destiny". My biggest hope for Destiny 3 is actually that Bungie can make a Destiny 1 & 2 remix which is one game with all of the campaign, strikes, raids and PvP maps from Destiny 1 and 2 and then is prepared for further content additions, making it a truly expansive game-world that feels self-contained and not something which constantly divides its player base into classes of upper and lower class (like in england!); people who want to pay 40-60 dollars every year to keep playing Destiny vs people who end up just buying the game and drop out as they realize how insanely expensive it is to play.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 3 is 100% happening. Their blog shows their commitment to the franchise but a new IP might also be happening alongside it.

My guess would be that some level of work has already been going on for the next IP - just like how they were doing D1 work during the ODST timeframe.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about that, a lot of big games have gotten cancelled for the same reasons. The development for Halo 2 was a disaster and it came pretty close to not happening in the end. That being said, I'm glad MS didn't pull the plug on it, its a great game

What the fuck is this thread. Are some of you even old enough to remember these game launches? Halo 2 was the biggest entertainment launch of its time and was used as a vehicle for Xbox Live and set precedent for how online gaming would become the focus of the 360. In no way would Halo 2 have ever been cancelled, the entire Xbox ecosystem depended on it. I would love to hear of "other big games that have been cancelled" that are even remotely similar to the scale and importance of Halo 2.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

I disagree with a lot of the comments here about destiny 3 being a sure thing, at least in the short term. I bet the work that they've been doing on a destiny 3 for Activision gets rolled into destiny 2. I think destiny becoming a platform is much more a reality now that Activision isn't there to mandate new sequels.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They left MS to lay up under Activision...yeah, many called it and saw these two not having a good split. To pay for your freedom from MS to then sign a 10 year contract with a company like Activision? Ridiculous.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Why so much hate for D2 ? I love jumping in from time to time. But on a serious note what's going to happen with D2 as it's on battle net launcher ?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit.

This is a BIG blow for Activision.

Activision rn

giphy.gif

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Why so much hate for D2 ? I love jumping in from time to time. But on a serious note what's going to happen with D2 as it's on battle net launcher ?
Nothing, it'll stay up and continue as normal. It might come to other stores maybe, but Activision are probably still heavily invested in D2, so I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I disagree with a lot of the comments here about destiny 3 being a sure thing, at least in the short term. I bet the work that they've been doing on a destiny 3 for Activision gets rolled into destiny 2. I think destiny becoming a platform is much more a reality now that Activision isn't there to mandate new sequels.

The game they're working on now is the big follow-up to the post-credits tease in Destiny 2, which I believe was meant to be the physical manifestation of the Darkness. I honestly do not think that's going to be rolled into Destiny 2.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'm going to make a prediction that might sound like a big undertaking but I truly believe that Bungie is thinking something along these lines.

I think Bungie knows that a separate sequel ended up being a mistake but at this point, it might be too convoluted to simply use Destiny 2 as a base going forward, especially as we are at the end of the console generation.

Because of that, I believe Bungie is working on "Destiny 3" to release in fall 2020 alongside the next generation of consoles. It will be marketed as the ultimate and final "version" of Destiny -- it will not only include a new campaign that acts as the "epic conclusion" to the fight against the Darkness but it will include the majority of areas and content from Destiny 1 and 2. In other words, this will be the game that many players thought we would be getting with the original Destiny --- an always changing universe that new planets are added to over the years. I can even see this PS5/Scarlet game simply being called "Destiny."

Perhaps unlikely, but I think something like that is what Bungie wants to do.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
They should have let Activision keep Destiny to fund something new. Though I doubt Activision would have been interested :P.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So who would publish D3? Surely not Bungie themselves? Possibly still Activision with much less hands-on?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Bungie didn't even care that the D1 characters look like absolute shit when carried over to Destiny 2, so the disappointment started almost immediately.
5ri6di9.jpg

Dc0QNFVV4AAkmL9

vs
fQiniOk.jpg

Dc0QDIEU0AAcsZr

Hair is clipping into the face and its the same pathetic character creator as Destiny 1.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that bungie are gonna need investment and outside studio support for d3.. Which will probably mean a publisher.

I could be wrong. We will see

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I seriously dont see how it's even possible for bungie to self produce destiny while making other products and getting a more consumer friendly destiny.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right now the most popular game in the world, Fortnite, is a self-published client that is free to download a la carte, supports crossplay parallel PvE and PvP modes, is rapidly iterated through a regular update schedule, and is supported through a mix between seasonal content passes (that promote regular engagement) and cosmetic purchases.

If you want to know what Bungie is thinking for the future of Destiny, IMO that's it.

Destiny's peers, like Warframe, already embrace a similar model, and build onto a base game with regular updates when they are ready (instead of annual releases bound to retail, with all of the baggage that kind of release entails). I don't know how far along D3 is, but I imagine this move telegraphs that D3 will be a Destiny client, and all future content will be a part of it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these posts suggest they were doing anything but making money.

the issue is that they wanted to make even MORE money; not that they weren't making enough.
you have to spend money to make money, and the combination of not making enough, not spending on what's in the pipeline, and opportunity costs of having 2 of their studios work on something else means Activision could stand to gain more.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously dont see how it's even possible for bungie to self produce destiny while making other products and getting a more consumer friendly destiny.
Yeah the fact that so many people itt think it's possible and benificial for their games is suprising. This has to impact their plans for Destiny 3.

Have we even seen a single traditional $60 AAA title self published by a studio this generation? Because I don't think we have.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not quite sure why so many believe that Activision was behind the microtransaction stuff in Destiny. It's a proven monetization model and it's really not hard to see why Bungie would want it.

What I don't believe they wanted is the yearly release schedule with planned sequels. I'm seriously hoping that Destiny 3 serves as a new foundation for an evolving game. Paid expansions are fine, but the game would really benefit from just picking a base and building on it instead of resetting every few years.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the fact that so many people itt think it's possible and benificial for their games is suprising. This has to impact their plans for Destiny 3.

Have we even seen a single traditional $60 AAA title self published by a studio this generation? Because I don't think we have.

League of Legends, Fortnite, and PUBG (three of the most successful and regularly streamed games of the generation) are all self-published. Warframe is not nearly as popular/successful, but is one of Destiny's peers and also self-publishes.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much to say to this other than that I disagree. They said they plan on self-publishing and I don't think they're lying, as you do.

I should note that I am currently at work and bouncing back and forth between Era and my job so I apologize for missing your reply.

I would like to thank you for antagonistically PMing me with, "No reply? Crickets, just like I thought," simply because I didn't reply to you within a 30 minute period. That's certainly not a childish thing to do and definitely doesn't show that you're obsessed with winning arguments on a message board about video games.

Bungie - We want to self-publish our future games.

Random dude with a Juventus logo on the internet who has no insight in Bungie's funds - Yeah they are lying because they have not enough money.

Who am I going to believe?

giphy.gif