• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Source: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46925

At Bungie, our purpose is to build worlds that inspire friendship. For over twenty-five years, through Marathon, Myth, Halo, and Destiny, we've created fantastic places where players have gathered to become heroes. Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously – Destiny and new worlds to come.

Today, we're excited to announce that we've entered into a new partnership with NetEase to help us explore new directions. With their industry expertise, they'll empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there. They'll help us support separate teams inside Bungie to bring our newest ambitions to life.

If you're a player of Destiny, this news won't impact the hobby you've come to know. Destiny is an experience that will grow for many years to come. We'll continue to work with our partners at Activision to foster this global community and turn new players from all over the world into Guardians. Our commitment to that world is not diminished by this announcement. We have exciting plans for the future of the Destiny franchise, and you'll learn more about the next steps we'll take together in the weeks to come.

For now, we're grateful for the opportunity to welcome NetEase to the family. We have a bold vision to explore with them, but that is all a conversation for another time.

Mod Edit: Extra Quote

"We certainly have a lot to learn from them in mainland China," Parsons said before acknowledging he isn't even sure what sort of brand recognition Bungie might have in China. "They also have a significant amount of experience in mobile we don't have. And one of the things we were really excited about when we met with them is their team has a considerable amount of development expertise and practices and processes that I think we can also learn from as a company who's trying to make games. That's one of the things we like about them. They're in the business to make games, and they're very excited about the future where we're beginning to incubate and explore new ideas."

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
They've licensed several activision games for release in China.
Basically Destiny is coming out in China.

This is for the new IP they've been working on, not Destiny:
"Really what this partnership is about is bringing the expertise NetEase has, sharing ideas and allowing us to incubate new ideas," Parsons said. "There's no explicit deal [to publish our games in China]. It's more that they share our passion for games, our passion for building worlds that inspire friendships and building communities, and that's the entire focus of it."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-than-usd100-million-investment-from-netease

In announcing the deal, NetEase noted that Bungie founder and chief creative officer Jason Jones "will begin the creation of new worlds." Parsons confirmed the tense of that phrase, saying the studio has been "almost entirely focused on building Destiny."

"It's not that we don't have new ideas, things we want to do and concepts we'd like to test out," Parsons said. "But ultimately, we want to be a global game and entertainment company. We want to be able to build games that are inspiring people from around the world, and this partnership in part will allow us to do that, to begin that incubation and development process in a real way.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Believe its like a Chinese partner for Blizzard stuff?
I guess a Destiny version is coming to China.

Possible Destiny 2 release in China?

Game publisher in general, best known for running all of Blizzard's games in China along with Minecraft.

They've licensed several activision games for release in China.
Basically Destiny is coming out in China.

Interesting. Well best of luck to Bungie on a Chinese launch. I wonder if they would consider making it F2P there?

Interesting

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Activision has nothing to do with this partnership, so it's not Destiny related.

Solo Kazama

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
expecting:
- 3 classes
after 4 years:
- 3 same classes insequel

and complex itemization:
+300 "A STAT"

hurray

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For now, we're grateful for the opportunity to welcome NetEase to the family. We have a bold vision to explore with them, but that is all a conversation for another time.

Ugh... It's been so long since I've read a BWU, I forgot how asinine they talk in those things. Like who makes an announcement about a partnership, but doesn't give any details of said partnership, but treats it like it's a fucking teaser for a future announcement?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Aren't they with Activision? Why would they partner with another company for a new IP?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
NetEase has been making a number of moves to increase its global presence. Recent joint venture with Mattel, publishing of self developed titles overseas etc...

Looks like this continues the trend.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. They worked ten years on Halo and then walked away because they felt it killed their creativity. In 2019 they will have worked ten years on Destiny. They will release Destiny 3 in 2019 and then move on to new things.

Aren't they with Activision? Why would they partner with another company for a new IP?

Bungie is independant. They have a three game contract with Activision.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
When does their 10 years deal with Activision ends? 2023?
Destiny 3 will be the last one with few expansions and they will be done with the franchise. Unless they get out even earlier because it might be both them and Activision are not happy on how Destiny turned out.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
If there's multiplayer involved, I hope it's different enough from Destiny.

Change is good.

Jan 31, 2018
Ummmmmm cool? Don't know how to feel about this as it relates to the type of IP they're going to make. Please don't go FTP, mobile and anything like that.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
For a company that struggles mightily to support even one franchise, I look forward to the hilarity of them trying to support multiple. Bungie preparing to push the limits of reskins and asset reuse.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone bringing up Destinty? This specifically says it's a new IP

That said I wonder what this means for the future of Bungie / Activisions relationship. It was a 10 year deal but after that? Hmmmm

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn

This kind of confirms a recent rumor that was floating around

You guys remember someone had solicited the idea that VV make take over Destiny and Bungie proper would move on

They could be sowing the seeds of that transition

I wouldnt put it past bungie to do to Destiny what it did with Halo after the deal is up

D4rth Man7iz

Mar 30, 2018
Interesting. Glad they're already working in what comes next after Destiny. Hope they recover some of the magic they've lost over the years. Miss old Bungie :'(

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of surprising. I'm curious to see it.

Also, I'm wondering if this new project with another pub means that Activision plans to buy Destiny IP from Bungie and put it in their internal studios since they can get more control in a Destiny 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone bringing up Destinty? This specifically says it's a new IP

That said I wonder what this means for the future of Bungie / Activisions relationship. It was a 10 year deal but after that? Hmmmm

I keep forgetting Bungie is an independent studio.

That is how vicious these two big publishers are with snagging up dev houses.

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
Destiny has a 10 year contract right ? anyway looks like a smart business decision to me. Working with someone unknown in the industry gets you a lot of say. I hope thier new game is something I like.

There might be no destiny 3 at worse. Making a Destiny 2 a GaaS title until 2024. 6 years away.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This really makes me feel like Jason Schreier's prediction about Bungie giving Destiny to Activision might wind up happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Vicarious Visions' involvement with D2 PC and Warmind was partially to get them familiar with the series in case that happens.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This really makes me feel like Jason Schreier's prediction about Bungie giving Destiny to Activision might wind up happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Vicarious Visions' involvement with D2 PC and Warmind was partially to get them familiar with the series in case that happens.

Destiny might change hands but Bungie is not giving it up without a massive payday.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP 10 Year plan.

MediumRealBrant-max-1mb.gif

Diversify.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this, for having 1000 people in their studio their one current franchise doesn't have the content to reflect that.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect anything that'll set the world on fire tbh.

Like, the next big blockbuster or anything. Probably be smaller in scale/budget.