• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
First off: this topic is NOT for discussing the leaks themselves

For some reason, Burger King Germany has decided it's a good idea to launch a marketing campaign that uses the leaks straight from Reddit for Rise of Skywalker, putting massive spoilers on French fries, the menu, and more.

Press release:

"Fans who are prepared to read spoilers for the films out loud before the premiere will be rewarded with a flame-grilled Whopper. For the first time, Burger King is using voice recognition in its app to activate the promotional coupon.

Using the Burger King app and voice recognition, guests can get involved by reading spoilers out loud. The app checks the content and the guest gets the exclusive voice-controlled coupon from.

The online film for the campaign was shot in a specially designed spoiler restaurant, to which Burger King invited true Star Wars fans. The entire restaurant and all the products contained revealing hints. Every product name on the menu board, every name tag, straws, fries and even the WiFi password contained spoilers. The product packaging also had hidden spoilers, some of which were rendered by a sound chip while opening the pack."

Whoppers and Coca Cola have been renamed with major spoilers.

source: This article does not contain spoilers but the video featured in it which is hilarious does contain massive spoilers from the leaks.

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off: this topic is NOT for discussing leaks/spoilers of TROS.

In news somehow more bizarre than the Prime Minister of England locking himself in a fridge to avoid an interview, Burger King Germany has decided it's a good idea to launch a marketing campaign that uses the leaks on the internet for Rise of Skywalker.

Press release:

"Fans who are prepared to read spoilers for the films out loud before the premiere will be rewarded with a flame-grilled Whopper. For the first time, Burger King is using voice recognition in its app to activate the promotional coupon.

Using the Burger King app and voice recognition, guests can get involved by reading spoilers out loud. The app checks the content and the guest gets the exclusive voice-controlled coupon from.

The online film for the campaign was shot in a specially designed spoiler restaurant, to which Burger King invited true Star Wars fans. The entire restaurant and all the products contained revealing hints. Every product name on the menu board, every name tag, straws, fries and even the WiFi password contained spoilers. The product packaging also had hidden spoilers, some of which were rendered by a sound chip while opening the pack."

Whoppers and Coca Cola have been renamed with major spoilers.

source: This article does not contain spoilers but the video featured in it which is hilarious does contain massive spoilers from the leaks.

Wait

what.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What the hell, why would they do that? That's so bizarre.

So, uhm what do I need to read?

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
From Burger King's global chief marketing officer:

edit: never mind, the link in the tweet contains a vague spoiler

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely bizarre.

For some reason I now believe the leaks less, even though I was pretty sure they were accurate.

What a strange promotion, in any case.

Also, somehow hearing them say things I've only skimmed over somehow made it worse than reading/skimming. (Not quality-wise, it just feels like more of a spoiler)

Oct 27, 2017
I love this campaign but it's not as good as this one:

7336bbae1b9c20a0591df1f94b5f3a9f.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Funny. I've been all-in on reading the leaks anyway, so give me that free burger!

Aine

May 27, 2019
They looked up the "Snape Kills Dumbledore" trolls and saw dollar signs.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Shit Why can't they do this in America lol. I already know everything that happens so I want free food! All though there was some spoilers in that vid that were not in the leak.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Would've been more sensible if they renamed meals after Star Wars characters. Whopper to StormTwhopper or Skywhopper or something. I would buy that burger lol.

This? This is just silly for the sake of being silly.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This article does not contain spoilers but the video featured in it which is hilarious does contain massive spoilers from the leaks.

WTH, why did they use the spoiler version of that ad, Burgerking also did a spoilerfree one. Would've been way better for the article.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of that time when Uber ears were offering discounts to people willing to spoil themselves on GOT.

Seems like this is a bit more sophisticated though.

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
Literally all I know about is the movie is a year later and that Palpatine is returning in some fashion I don't know shit else. So many "leaks" are full of shit it isn't even worth discussing. There must be legit leaks at this point but I don't even bother to read them.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
This could also mean that the leaks are bullshit.
This has to have been approved by Disney beforehand, so i just cant imagine that they would be fine with spoiling their big movie (on a fucking whopper, of all things).

Possibilities (in order if my personal opinion of likeliness):

- Leaks are fake beyond stuff that has been shown in trailers
- Leaks are real, Disney is not involved and BK is risking a huge lawsuit (they are using stuff like the Name of the Movie, Characters and the SW title Scroll font in their app)
- Leaks are real, Disney is in on it and just doesn´t give a fuck.

Still, an all around extremely weird campaign.

(Personal wish: The last half year of leaking madness all comes down to some people obtaining the "leaks" from a BK marketing stunt and mistaking those for the real thing. Would be a fitting end to all of this Jazz.)

Last edited:

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
They often do these stunt promotions for movies they had an It 2 themed promotion "Escape the Clown" aimed at McDonalds recently. There was and ad in the movie paper you get for free at McD, if you scanned it with your BK app and make it to BK within a time limit, you'd also get a Whopper for free.

Dec 31, 2017

- Leaks are real, Disney is not involved and BK is risking a huge lawsuit (they are using stuff like the Name of the Movie, Characters and the SW title Scroll font in their app)
- Leaks are real, Disney is in on it and just doesn´t give a fuck.
Ordinarily, I would lock-in #3, but after JJ's Harrison/Khan swerve #1 is a real possibility.

#2 is the least likely only because BK has no way of confirming the veracity of the leaks, beyond Disney giving them their blessing.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
This could also mean that the leaks are bullshit.
This has to have been approved by Disney beforehand, so i just cant imagine that they would be fine with spoiling their big movie (on a fucking whopper, of all things).

Movie opens in 5 days in some places, if the leaks were fake it would have leaked by now(see what i did there).

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
What if the leaker known as Jedipaxis on reddit is part of lucasfilm and just handing out misinformation with Disney being in on it and release trailers cleverly cut to make them look genuine.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They often do these stunt promotions for movies they had an It 2 themed promotion "Escape the Clown" aimed at McDonalds recently. There was and ad in the movie paper you get for free at McD, if you scanned it with your BK app and make it to BK within a time limit, you'd also get a Whopper for free.

It's like console wars from the 90s but for burgers. Burger wars.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
this is possibly
the most bizarre thing going
but they bleep out all the mentions of star wars right? and the spoilers are vague (no mentions of names) so maybe they're getting away with it rather than this being an official thing?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking this is a bigger problem than this Burger King scenario i think.

edit: actually no after watching that video that is the dumbest shit i ever seen. Wtf is wrong with Disney allowing this?

Why do you think Disney cares all that much? They have let people go on and on and on about Baby Yoda which is technically a spoiler. Its advertising. The more people talk, the better.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a non fan in the video who was just like,"Just tell me the fucking ending already and give me my free Whopper!"

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I only read the first sentence:

"Kylo and Leia die."

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The app explicitly mentions character names

And irc, the official press release of the Marketing Agency mentions "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" by name.

If Disney is really not involved and they are just spoiling the actual movie, this is one of the shittiest marketing stunts I have seen in a while. Can't see this not getting widespread backlash.