• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
So the GOTY season came and went, and with the results posted, I came to the sad conclusion that I was apparently the only one who voted for Bury Me, My Love. In the chance that this is not because everyone thought it was ho-hum, but more because nobody heard of it, I want to advertise this game a little (disclaimer: I don't know anyone who made it).

The game is funded by ARTE, and is a mostly text-based adventure revolving around the refugee crisis. It got nominated for the Games for Impact award at The Game Awards: http://thegameawards.com/awards/#games-for-impact. It got featured on Kotaku and Polygon etc. but apparently the game has not really sold that well.

I find it to be really great at what it does. This is a game that is especially poignant for Europeans I think, who have been missing the human, empathetic element in the discourse around the refugee crisis. After all, most of the news and related discussions don't go much deeper than cold numbers, inflammatory images and angry Facebook posts.

Bury Me, My Love plays out in a Whatsapp-like messaging interface, and the messages you send and receive happen in pseudo-realtime, as you play Majd, a Syrian stuck in Homs, who talks to Nour, his girlfriend who flees the country and tries to reach Germany. There are two really neat things about this setup. One, it has a lot of credibility as it kind of slots in your life very naturally. You're probably checking and texting on your phone multiple times a day already, but now you also get messages from this Nour character. Very soon you're kind of forgetting that it's a game. More importantly, it's not just about the story being told, but also the absence of story when Nour is not responding. Ever experience your loved one going abroad for work or something, and then (s)he says (s)he met some cool people who are going to take him/her to a club. So you say awesome, have fun! Only that text message goes unread. So later you ask how it was, but you get no reply. Now it's 4am and you're lying awake thinking what the hell happened and surely they'd check their phone before going to sleep? Well, it's like that. Only in this case she's at the end of her wits and saying she's going to walk through a live minefield, and you shout at her for being stupid, and she gets angry and turns off her phone. And now you have to wait for a day in real time to see if she made it out alive.

So this game is like that. If you're interested, do check it out. It's on iOS and Android and only costs $3. Apparently it has 19 different endings depending on how you react and what kind of advice you give. Ranging from happy to really sad. I think I'm approaching my ending after a little over a week. I'm hopeful. If people finished it we can talk about our endings in spoiler tags.

Messages_selfie.jpg
bury4.jpg

http://burymemylove.arte.tv/

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
For a second I thought this would be an account suicide thread like the Old Place used to have in the end times

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
Haha. Bury me my love is apparently a Syrian Arabic saying, the meaning of which is not as dark as it sounds. "You better outlive me." So it's a roundabout way of saying I love you, take care. The game doesn't always end in the character dying, I don't think.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently pretty far along my first playthrough. It really is a great game, and at that price, there really is no excuse not to try it out.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Oh wow, that's a neat idea. I'll check it out!
Stuff like this might just make some people more empathetic, hopefully...

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds really smart and poignant. Thanks for pointing out its existence, will check it out for sure

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Never heard of it but just checked it out and it seems to have excellent reviews, purchased, thanks for the suggestion. If I remember I'll post back with my ending in tags.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Also purchased it. I know that Abby on the GiantBomb GOTY stuff mentioned it but I guess I missed that it was out on phones. Excited to give it a try as she seemed pretty high on it.

Thepixelhunt

Jan 22, 2018
Hello everyone!
First, I'd like to thanks the OP for such kind words. My name is Florent, I'm Bury me, my Love's main game designer. And you're right, it went a little bit below radars (even though we got very good press a few nomination here and there).
It makes me all the more happy to see that some people genuinely found the game interesting. So I figured I would drop by and say hi. If you have any question related to the game, please feel free to ask!

mr lurtle

Oct 27, 2017
Played through it in the last weeks 5 times and thought it was amazing. Only got one good ending though.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Heard of the Game on the Giant Bomb GotY Podcasts.
I finished my second playtrough a few Days ago. I love the concept and the Story was really interesting.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I got this when it first started showing up on several top ten lists. First phone game I got and played in any real sense in a year or two.

As you described I was hooked and constantly checking to see if I missed a message or something anytime I had to wait. Unfortunately I got the impression at one point that due to misunderstanding a question and having the outcome from my selection be opposite my intention it sent Nour down a bad path that I don't think could have lead to a good ending when I had to make my next selection. So unfortunately things didn't go well and I still hoped maybe she was just being quiet and would message. Perhaps it's intentional but:

It took something like another day or two after it was clear she died for a voicemail to come through. I thought the timing felt a little awkward and should have come at most only a couple hours later. I got the ending with her dying of cold.

Despite the game pushing me to try again to see what else could happen it almost feels wrong. I got the bad ending I earned myself and despite there being 19 endings it just feels kind of wrong to rewind and try again with how personal the game is. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot, but for now Nour's life was in my hands and I failed her.

The only other thing I would have liked is after you got an ending, good or bad, if it had more educational items in the game. I willfully ignore a lot of current events because the time it takes to keep up is consuming but if they had given some more information on the areas, conflicts, events, etc that would have been great. In fact they could even expand on only the areas Nour's path crossed where you were involved in making decisions to give some direction in your future selections if you do choose to play again. All just hopeful changes I don't expect because I can't imagine they're patching in new features nor have a sequel/side story in the works.

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
So I started again and put the text speed to max, so you don't have to wait all the time. I picked a different route than before, and it's amazing how completely different the story is so far. Really cool for such a cheap game.
The only other thing I would have liked is after you got an ending, good or bad, if it had more educational items in the game. I willfully ignore a lot of current events because the time it takes to keep up is consuming but if they had given some more information on the areas, conflicts, events, etc that would have been great. In fact they could even expand on only the areas Nour's path crossed where you were involved in making decisions to give some direction in your future selections if you do choose to play again. All just hopeful changes I don't expect because I can't imagine they're patching in new features nor have a sequel/side story in the works.
Yeah I agree, though I understand it's a balancing act, because if you add too much educational stuff it kind of becomes an educational game, and then you start losing the fantasy needed for the immersion. You know that if you click on the cities that you sometimes get a bit of educational context (probably, that's why you ask for more). But yeah, being able to go back to a decision moment and diverting your course would've been better for multiple playthroughs.
Hello everyone!
First, I'd like to thanks the OP for such kind words. My name is Florent, I'm Bury me, my Love's main game designer. And you're right, it went a little bit below radars (even though we got very good press a few nomination here and there).
It makes me all the more happy to see that some people genuinely found the game interesting. So I figured I would drop by and say hi. If you have any question related to the game, please feel free to ask!
<3. Also welcome!
Oh wow, that's a neat idea. I'll check it out!
Stuff like this might just make some people more empathetic, hopefully...
Yeah I already mentioned it in my voting ballot, but we've been working on games for empathy too, taking more the empathy machine approach of immersing people in somebody else's mind through high tech means, so it's really cool to see the game developers go a different, very low-fi approach and being so (imo) successful at it.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for making this thread. I've never heard of it but it sound exciting. I'll buy it later today.

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
Aw yeah ended up in
Sweden
a celebrity this time. Interesting to see how one decision can change the course pretty quickly.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
$3, award-winning phone app? Sold.

Concept sounds really cool too. Thanks for making this thread OP.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the double post, but I just finished this wonderful game! It was really something unique and special to see it play out over the course of almost two weeks. Overall I think I got an ending that was okay;
Got stuck in Italy after repeated attempts to cross into France, and decided to give up and apply for asylum there. I wanted to steer her towards the Austrian border, but that evidently wasn't an option based on how things played out. It seems unfair that the game takes place in 2016, when most of the border crossings had already been closed off! But, that was the reality faced by thousands of real people who didn't choose to flee until then.

Overall, I'm a little sad we failed to reach Germany, but in other ways I'm just glad she's alive. There were times when she crossed water alone on a raft and literally walked through a minefield, and my heart stopped for a few hours. Incredible to be made to feel this way about a fake person, who does not actually exist! I was surprised by her having a British accent at the end. All in all, what a lovely game.
some of the bad endings people here apparently got would've robbed me of sleep for the weekend, lol. In sum, it was a very original and highly captivating experience (even more so if you know anything about the migrant crisis), and for $3 I highly recommend you check it out!

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
some of the bad endings people here apparently got would've robbed me of sleep for the weekend, lol. In sum, it was a very original and highly captivating experience (even more so if you know anything about the migrant crisis), and for $3 I highly recommend you check it out!
I'm curious if every bad ending has Nour leave a voicemail for you because there was the silence during mine that told me she likely was gone but I kept hoping it was just being rude and she would send a late message that she was fine. And then like 24 hours later the voicemail came through. I still think the timing of the voicemail was a little weird since with how she died it would have had to been recorded right around the time she went silent texting to me but it still was rough to listen to.

And somehow I missed that the developer posted in here. Great work Thepixelhunt for making something unique and gut wrenching. I didn't get emotional like I do in some games, meaning it didn't lead me to cry, but any of the times where the situation seemed unsafe and I just had to wait for Nour to reply really had me nervous and thinking about it while going about my regular daily activities. I still think some additional educational material that perhaps unlocks related to your route or maybe even include the personal stories that some of the routing is based off of would have been great.

Regardless, still a really neat game.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my first ending and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Nour makes some mindboggling decisions on her own. I've been playing for over a month in real time mode and for it to just end in a ridiculous way like it did for me makes me not want to even go back.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the GOTY season came and went, and with the results posted, I came to the sad conclusion that I was apparently the only one who voted for Bury Me, My Love. In the chance that this is not because everyone thought it was ho-hum, but more because nobody heard of it, I want to advertise this game a little (disclaimer: I don't know anyone who made it).

The game is funded by ARTE, [...]

Holy crap, this is weird to see. But something I finally agree with on their usage of that TV license fee money! Will be checking it out, thanks!