• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixelarcstudios/bushiden-a-futuristic-ninja-action-platformer

Bushiden is a Metroidvania-influenced action platformer set in a futuristic world where your greatest foe has been revived from the dead and is seeking revenge. The game combines melee combat with exploration elements spanning 8 separate, non-linear levels.

Features
  • 7 levels to explore plus a prologue area!
  • Survive epic boss fights to unlock new traversal and combat abilities!
  • Unique "crowd control" combat system gives the player powerful options for dispatching hordes of foes!
  • Revisit levels with upgraded abilities to access new areas, find secret rewards, and become even more powerful!
  • Collect currency from slain enemies to purchase health upgrades, enhanced shurikens, weapon summons, and chi spell attacks!
  • Beautiful, hand-crafted pixel art!

Story Trailer

I've been following this game for a while. It looks awesome. Some of the animations look very Striderish.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, it's giving me very strong Strider/Volgarr vibes. Looks great!

Edit: Backed it. Good luck!

Last edited:

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
This looks great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the first jump animation being a weird cartwheel flip every time. It's flashy, but looks like it'd get distracting if we are constantly jumping.

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pixel art looks incredible. It seems as if the game borrows heavily from Strider (climb animation and cartwheel jumping) and Ninja Gaiden (2D slashing and ninpo) and seeks to liven the movement up with that polarity changing mechanic between orange and blue lightning fields! I'm always a huge fan of challenging platformers and with the added hit-combo combat, this looks like a winner.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I've really haven't bothered with Kickstarter in a few years but damn that really is up my alley.

Oct 31, 2017
Looks very interesting.

They should add a DRM-free option to their pledges.

I checked their budget : is art/animation always the most expensive part during development ?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the creation of this thread.

With that out of the way... it's awesome to have a thread here on ResetEra about our game! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here or even PM me. Lastly, we are glad to hear people are so impressed with the game! :)

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017

With that out of the way... it's awesome to have a thread here on ResetEra about our game! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here or even PM me. Lastly, we are glad to hear people are so impressed with the game! :)

I never owned a Neo Geo, but this makes me think of Neo Geo. Is there a system you guys were kind of going for with the graphics style?

Is this more Metroidvania or Mega Man X? Kinda sounds like Mega Man X, but you say it's Metroidvania inspired.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Looks alright, but the game is kinda slow? Like it feels slow just by watching. I'd prefer if the running speed but also the slashes were faster. Gorgeous artwork though.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I never owned a Neo Geo, but this makes me think of Neo Geo. Is there a system you guys were kind of going for with the graphics style?

Is this more Metroidvania or Mega Man X? Kinda sounds like Mega Man X, but you say it's Metroidvania inspired.

Our artist is a huge SNK/Neo-Geo fan, so that probably explains that. However, his biggest influence is SOTN. If you really look closely you can see all the nods to it. We aren't targeting any specific system/specs for the pixel art. Just trying to make the absolute best looking and animated pixel art game we possibly can!

It's really a combination of the two. It has a Mega Man X-style level select, but the areas inside of the levels that you will be able to unlock as you progress are quite substantial in size.

Looks alright, but the game is kinda slow? Like it feels slow just by watching. I'd prefer if the running speed but also the slashes were faster. Gorgeous artwork though.

Hmm.. the game is actually quite fast--faster than most games of this type. I"m not sure why it's coming across as slow...

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The art & music look great. I think the pacing seems appropriate. Will probably pledge when I get my new CC back (had to cancel due to Newegg's incompetence).

Oct 26, 2017
I love the art style, it looks like a more natural progression of the 16 bit era graphics as opposed to being deliberately retro.

sainrub

Dec 14, 2017

I love what i'm seeing, good luck with Bushiden!

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
That art style is CLEAN. I am loving it! Just from watching a bit of footage I can tell these guys know how to properly pay respect to the kind of oldschool action platformers I love. Will back this.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't have clicked on the video because I want this right now.
mjcry1.png

Backing the fukk outta this.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do kickstarter anymore, but the game looks fun. Godawful design for the player character though; get a mask on the man to cover up the terrible hair. Love the SOTN visuals though....I'll probably buy this if it ever hits the E shop or Xbox store.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Woah! Thanks for all of the love, everyone! It's really, REALLY appreciated! :) I'm here if you have any questions... chrissypoo, sorry you don't like the player design :(

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Looks really really fun. Kind of nu-strider-esque with some shinobi thrown in and its own cool stuff/identity.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Hey, that's how you do pixel art games. I've got enough 8 bit looking games and it's only kinda recently-ish we're starting to see more and more bigger sprites with more detail and colors and resolution. This looks amazing. Also I'm intrigued by the non linear, separate levels, that's a bit out of the ordinary too, nowadays. Good luck with the game!

How much of the development would you say is already done? I suppose it's still early and release is quite far yet.

Do you have an estimate on game length? Replayability? Difficulty modes?

Will the enemies respawn as soon as you scroll a bit and come back or only after death, if ever? Or something in between.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty cool. I wish more games with pixel art went for this 32-bit era pixel art look. Gorgeous.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Hey, that's how you do pixel art games. I've got enough 8 bit looking games and it's only kinda recently-ish we're starting to see more and more bigger sprites with more detail and colors and resolution. This looks amazing. Also I'm intrigued by the non linear, separate levels, that's a bit out of the ordinary too, nowadays. Good luck with the game!

How much of the development would you say is already done? I suppose it's still early and release is quite far yet.

Do you have an estimate on game length? Replayability? Difficulty modes?

Will the enemies respawn as soon as you scroll a bit and come back or only after death, if ever? Or something in between.

Thanks! I'd say the game is roughly 25-30% done. We are aiming for a solid 6-12 hours of gameplay depending on how much exploration you decide to do and also your skill level. We are not currently planning to include difficulty levels, but we do have some plans to make the game more replayable via stretch goals should the Kickstarter get funded.

Enemy respawns are not 100% locked down, but right now the larger enemies would only respawn if you exit the level and return. Smaller enemies will respawn once you have traveled a good distance from their location and then returned. Also, the number, type, and location of enemies will change once the level has been completed (meaning you go back into the level after the boss has been defeated). This will help to keep things fresh we think.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
That underground cave near the start of the trailer is straight SotN, lol.
latest

Game looks like Ninja SotN. Definitely interested.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'd be the first KS'ing this project if a Switch version is being considered.

Same, but be careful. This could be construed as port begging.

Yeah, so the Switch situation is... complicated and I can't really speak on it. There's no technical hurdle in bring the game to the Switch. And it may happen during the Kickstarter. However, we are not purposely holding the Switch version back with plans to announce it later.

That underground cave near the start of the trailer is straight SotN, lol.
latest

Game looks like Ninja SotN. Definitely interested.

Yes, absolutely. Huge influence ;)

malyse

Community Resetter
Yeah, so the Switch situation is... complicated and I can't really speak on it. There's no technical hurdle in bring the game to the Switch. And it may happen during the Kickstarter. However, we are not purposely holding the Switch version back with plans to announce it later
Well so long as you know. I actually showed this to a friend at work and we were baffled why Switch wasn't one of the options. This is precisely the type of game I prefer to play on Switch and I'm certain others feel the same.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Well so long as you know. I actually showed this to a friend at work and we were baffled why Switch wasn't one of the options. This is precisely the type of game I prefer to play on Switch and I'm certain others feel the same.

Oh, we are aware. We did everything we could in order to launch with a Switch version.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
"Bushiden opens with a prologue level that culminates in the battle that took place between Reylee and Gaoh six years prior to the events of the game. Upon completing the prologue, the narrative moves to the present and the player is able to select any one of six available levels to enter. Completing a level by defeating the boss grants Reylee a new ability. Levels can be exited before completion at Save Terminals and they can be revisited, even after completion, to utilize Reylee's upgraded abilities while exploring for secrets. Completing all six of the available levels unlocks the final level, Gaoh's Tower, and puts Reylee on a collision course with the final showdown between him and Gaoh!"

Metroidvania/Mega Man level select hybrid, huh? Can't recall seeing a game structured like that before.

Timespinner came out well, so I'm in a good mood for 2D action Kickstarters. Will back at the Vault of the Ninja level.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic pixel art is what made me follow this guy for years online. The combat being so smooth has me pumped. 3 hit combos, last hit is a finisher, hit a direction during the combo to change an attack to above behind or whatever to control crowd scenarios, or cancel out of combos with a dodge roll to escape scenarios where you are mobbed. Plus instead of 1 metroidvania world where you proceed in a certain order through areas you get 6 to choose in any order and completing an area gains you a power up megaman style that then allows you to revisit stages and explore new areas of them.

Game is just super solid and nearly done. So backing it to the end.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad we've finally graduated from the retro "8-bit" graphics style to 16/32-bit "retro" sprite graphics. Shit looks incredible.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I been following this on twitter for a LOOOOOOONG time. Better believe I'm eager to see it make it. Lets go.

Maybe just me, but the running speed looks a little slow. Looks good otherwsie.

Serious Strider vibes from this. That jump especially, lol. Looks cool though

"Bushiden opens with a prologue level that culminates in the battle that took place between Reylee and Gaoh six years prior to the events of the game. Upon completing the prologue, the narrative moves to the present and the player is able to select any one of six available levels to enter. Completing a level by defeating the boss grants Reylee a new ability. Levels can be exited before completion at Save Terminals and they can be revisited, even after completion, to utilize Reylee's upgraded abilities while exploring for secrets. Completing all six of the available levels unlocks the final level, Gaoh's Tower, and puts Reylee on a collision course with the final showdown between him and Gaoh!"

Metroidvania/Mega Man level select hybrid, huh? Can't recall seeing a game structured like that before.

Timespinner came out well, so I'm in a good mood for 2D action Kickstarters. Will back at the Vault of the Ninja level.

Fantastic pixel art is what made me follow this guy for years online. The combat being so smooth has me pumped. 3 hit combos, last hit is a finisher, hit a direction during the combo to change an attack to above behind or whatever to control crowd scenarios, or cancel out of combos with a dodge roll to escape scenarios where you are mobbed. Plus instead of 1 metroidvania world where you proceed in a certain order through areas you get 6 to choose in any order and completing an area gains you a power up megaman style that then allows you to revisit stages and explore new areas of them.

Game is just super solid and nearly done. So backing it to the end.

I'm so glad we've finally graduated from the retro "8-bit" graphics style to 16/32-bit "retro" sprite graphics. Shit looks incredible.

Thanks for the kind words and the support! It's a ton of hard work to make all of this happen and seeing people so excited about what we are making is the absolute best reward! Feels good man :)

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man this looks great. I'm so freakin glad to see it in the SNES/NeoGeo style of graphics. Everything about the animations reminds me of a mix of great action games from the good old days - the running, the jumping, the attacks, the wall climbing, and more.

Add in the awesomely classic look of the map, and the save rooms...oh yes. When this is released, I'll be all over this like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This game looks great. OP could do a better job adding some GIFs to show how amazing this game looks.