• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
6280f6f108887705c719dbe823aac5ba_original.gif

It makes me wonder how there can be a new game with this level of pixel art fidelity releasing any time soon but then I suppose looking at those involved Freedom Planet only took two years from demo to launch while the sequel which the artist was involved with appears to be taking about the same time (tbf as well the sprite work for those games was spread among more artists).

Looks fantastic! Hope the campaign is successful. Might chip in at one of the tiers. Quality pixel art is always appreciated.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Our artist is a huge SNK/Neo-Geo fan, so that probably explains that. However, his biggest influence is SOTN. If you really look closely you can see all the nods to it. We aren't targeting any specific system/specs for the pixel art. Just trying to make the absolute best looking and animated pixel art game we possibly can!

It's really a combination of the two. It has a Mega Man X-style level select, but the areas inside of the levels that you will be able to unlock as you progress are quite substantial in size.

Hmm.. the game is actually quite fast--faster than most games of this type. I"m not sure why it's coming across as slow...

I remember on deviantart page of Tim Jonsson that he named the forest stage of Bushiden as "neo geo background...", but this project has evolved on another direction. ( metroidvania and other platform )
Tim jonsson worked on Knight Chance on neo geo with neobitz and i think that he 's working with neobitz on a new neo geo game.
So, he is working on Paprium, Bushiden and a neo geo game with neobitz.
Very talented pixel-artist, he deserved to be more well-known.

About Bushiden, it's a very promising project, very high production value...

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I remember on deviantart page of Tim Jonsson that he named the forest stage of Bushiden as "neo geo background...", but this project has evolved on another direction. ( metroidvania and other platform )
Tim jonsson worked on Knight Chance on neo geo with neobitz and i think that he 's working with neobitz on a new neo geo game.
So, he is working on Paprium, Bushiden and a neo geo game with neobitz.
Very talented pixel-artist, he deserved to be more well-known.

About Bushiden, it's a very promising project, very high production value...

Yes, Tim worked on Knight Chance with neoblitz. I believe he did 100% of the art for that one. To my knowldege, he is not working on a new neo geo game, but I could be wrong. He worked on Paprium, but that I believe that work has long been done. He's currently doing some freelance work until the Kickstarter for Bushiden finishes. If we get funded, then he will be 100% full-time on Bushiden.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Background of forest that he named " neo geo background " on deviantart was this :

https://twitter.com/pixelarcstudios/status/1020326940685799424

About his next neo geo game with neobitz, i heard about this around 2016 and last year, neobitz ( Jeff Kurtz ) said that he was working on the next game. But, but things are changing fast, perhaps Tim Jonssonn is 100 % focused on Bushiden, so his project with neobitz can wait...
Don't know, i'm just speculated...

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Background of forest that he named " neo geo background " on deviantart was this :

https://twitter.com/pixelarcstudios/status/1020326940685799424

About his next neo geo game with neobitz, i heard about this around 2016 and last year, neobitz ( Jeff Kurtz ) said that he was working on the next game. But, but things are changing fast, perhaps Tim Jonssonn is 100 % focused on Bushiden, so his project with neobitz can wait...
Don't know, i'm just speculated...

Yes, originally Tim had hope for the first art of what is now Bushiden to be a neo geo game. Tim is definitely 100% focused on Bushiden if the Kickstarter gets funded.

The stage select reminds me of Mega Man in the best way. Backing this.

The pixel art is life. Gorgeous.

1b75ffa67e1f62af9e03d88716178b80_original.gif

Have you seen the stage select screen? We haven't shared that yet... Also, thanks for he support! We appreciate it :)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Yes, originally Tim had hope for the first art of what is now Bushiden to be a neo geo game. Tim is definitely 100% focused on Bushiden if the Kickstarter gets funded.

Have you seen the stage select screen? We haven't shared that yet... Also, thanks for he support! We appreciate it :)
Oh-ho, now I'm really looking forward to it.

Speaking of Mega Man, the main character's design is really good, too. Simple, a singular color scheme, immediately recognizable. Now all he needs is a red sidekick who's infinitely cooler than him to complete the analogy :P

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This reminds me so much of Strider, from the way he holds on to things to the cartwheel flip he does.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017

True lost for neo geo library, we have zero shinobi/strider-like on neo geo system.
When i saw this background on deviantart, i was ready to buy it on MVS system in order to play on my arcade cabinet.
There i am waiting Kraut Buster on MVS for end of this year, i know that Tim Jonsson made some works for this game.
I remember that Tim posted on tigsource a screenshot that seemed to be for Intro of this game.

About Bushiden, i hope that you will bring this game on Switch.
And, if you can put CRT FILTER ( scanlines ) on video options, i will be very happy....

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the creation of this thread.

With that out of the way... it's awesome to have a thread here on ResetEra about our game! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here or even PM me. Lastly, we are glad to hear people are so impressed with the game! :)
Hello! Dig the look of the game as I mentioned before. Can you talk more about the polarity switching in the platforming segments? Will this have permanence in the game or is this an unlockable ability for later stages of the game? It would be a neat platforming challenge to have a constant gravity/polarity switch speed run section. Good luck!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the game looks great, but this kickstarter campaign doesn't seem well executed. No stretch goals, no early bird specials, bad messaging on the game coming to other platforms, and no kickstarter exclusives for backers. This game looks like a title that should have easily blown through it's base funding as opposed to slowly growing.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the creation of this thread.

With that out of the way... it's awesome to have a thread here on ResetEra about our game! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here or even PM me. Lastly, we are glad to hear people are so impressed with the game! :)
Let me know when there is a Switch version!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks great. I feel like the combat looks like it could be enjoyable depending on how responsive the controls are.

The platforming looks so-so, nothing especially inventive.

I won't be able to back on Kickstarter (because I don't back anything on Kickstarter), but I'll check it out when it releases.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh I do not like that first jumping animation! The rest of the game looks pretty great though! Good luck on the Kickstarter.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Hello! Dig the look of the game as I mentioned before. Can you talk more about the polarity switching in the platforming segments? Will this have permanence in the game or is this an unlockable ability for later stages of the game? It would be a neat platforming challenge to have a constant gravity/polarity switch speed run section. Good luck!

Yeah, so you totally get it and those are the kinds of things we are going to be doing with the upgraded abilities. The Phase Shifting is granted to you for clearing one of the stages, but will be used in other stages as well (you'll need it to access areas of significant size in the other stages). Plus, the final level only unlocks once you've cleared the first six stages, so we know at that point that the player has ALL of the upgrades and can design that area to just push everything on the player. We plan for it to be quite epic.

I am glad someone else did a Thread for Bushiden's Kickstarter.
I hope everything go well mikehaggar
I will back it as well later.
Cheers!!!

Thank you!

I think the game looks great, but this kickstarter campaign doesn't seem well executed. No stretch goals, no early bird specials, bad messaging on the game coming to other platforms, and no kickstarter exclusives for backers. This game looks like a title that should have easily blown through it's base funding as opposed to slowly growing.

Well, it's only the third day of the campaign, so it seems a bit early for stretch goals... at least in our opinion. We didn't do early bird as we felt like it's unfair to the other backers. I feel our messaging on the platforms was fine. Steam (PC) and PS4. We are a small team and we can only do what we can do. We are trying to avoid the Kickstarter pitfalls and make sure we actually raise the money we need to develop the game and deliver it on time. We could have added a bunch of swag, but then our funding goal would be considerably more and then people would have concerns over the amount of money we were asking to raise. It's a tough spot to be in. And unfortunately, it seems a lot of people have promised quite a lot on Kickstarter for not very much money at all. I'm honestly not sure how they were able to fund their game. I suppose that's why many of them end up with a publisher afterwards.

I will concede that we did a poor job providing some type of exclusive to backers. I suppose I thought the beta inclusion would scratch that itch, but it's performed just ok. Honestly, now that you've mentioned it and it's dawned on me I feel a bit bad that slipped through the cracks. All I can say is that it's hectic creating one of these things, you have a million balls in the air, etc.. something is bound to get overlooked.

On the plus side, we've listened to everyone and we turned around and offered physical copies for PS4 inside of two days, so at least that shows that we listen and are reactive. Or so I hope :)

Could you please add a DRM-free option to those pledges ?

Honestly, not sure if that will happen before the Kickstarter is over. Hate to disappoint, but just being honest.

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Bushiden is cool as hell, and I wish the team all the success. I had some conversations in the past with the head of the team about the game, and I fell in love. I really hope it hits its goal. mikehaggar Good luck man!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's legitimately one of the best KS pitch videos I've ever seen. Any devs planning to launch a crowdfunding campaign in the future should take notes.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well, it's only the third day of the campaign, so it seems a bit early for stretch goals... at least in our opinion. We didn't do early bird as we felt like it's unfair to the other backers. I feel our messaging on the platforms was fine. Steam (PC) and PS4. We are a small team and we can only do what we can do. We are trying to avoid the Kickstarter pitfalls and make sure we actually raise the money we need to develop the game and deliver it on time. We could have added a bunch of swag, but then our funding goal would be considerably more and then people would have concerns over the amount of money we were asking to raise. It's a tough spot to be in. And unfortunately, it seems a lot of people have promised quite a lot on Kickstarter for not very much money at all. I'm honestly not sure how they were able to fund their game. I suppose that's why many of them end up with a publisher afterwards.

I will concede that we did a poor job providing some type of exclusive to backers. I suppose I thought the beta inclusion would scratch that itch, but it's performed just ok. Honestly, now that you've mentioned it and it's dawned on me I feel a bit bad that slipped through the cracks. All I can say is that it's hectic creating one of these things, you have a million balls in the air, etc.. something is bound to get overlooked.

On the plus side, we've listened to everyone and we turned around and offered physical copies for PS4 inside of two days, so at least that shows that we listen and are reactive. Or so I hope :).

I would argue the whole point of the early bird special is that once the tier is sold out your game is funded or all but funded which I think easily justifies the limited amount of spots.

Ican also respect the desire not to do true kickstarter exclusives, but perhaps some kind of early unlockable alternate costume or early access to the game before the official launch might have worked the same way.

The elephant in the room is the game would probably be funding better if it was coming to switch or had a switch version announced. I understand there's probably stuff behind the scenes you can't talk about preventing that, but it's a sad reality since that demographic has been extremely supportive of indie games in the past 2 years.

I also respect how hard it must be to run a kickstarter where no matter how many people review your work in progress something gets missed. I actually watch a series called crowd surfing on the dice tower where they have two different segments behind the ideas and strategizes behind running kickstarters and common pitfalls people run into. While it is primarily focused on board games I think a lot of the ideas are fairly universal. Jamey Stagmeir who's run several successful campaigns also has good videos on his channel and is also featured in crowd surfing so give him a look either way for hopefully future kickstarters after this one is successful and the game launches in 2020.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Bushiden got featured in Destructoid.

https://www.destructoid.com/bushiden-looks-like-a-slick-ninja-action-game-524872.phtml

Btw, a questio: Do you have a plan releasing a Demo later?

A demo during the Kickstarter? No. The game is early and just not ready for that, unfortunately. The levels are just kind of random brainstorms right now of different layouts.. there's really no finalized flow to things. And there's a lot of work to be done in the SFX department. A demo in the future is possible. People who want to get their hands on this as soon as possible should back at a tier that gets them in the beta.

Bushiden is cool as hell, and I wish the team all the success. I had some conversations in the past with the head of the team about the game, and I fell in love. I really hope it hits its goal. mikehaggar Good luck man!

Thanks, thetrin! :)

That's legitimately one of the best KS pitch videos I've ever seen. Any devs planning to launch a crowdfunding campaign in the future should take notes.

Wow, that's awesome to hear! I actually cut the trailer myself and I have zero experience doing something like that. It's the first video I've ever put together. Glad it did not disappoint!

I would argue the whole point of the early bird special is that once the tier is sold out your game is funded or all but funded which I think easily justifies the limited amount of spots.

Ican also respect the desire not to do true kickstarter exclusives, but perhaps some kind of early unlockable alternate costume or early access to the game before the official launch might have worked the same way.

The elephant in the room is the game would probably be funding better if it was coming to switch or had a switch version announced. I understand there's probably stuff behind the scenes you can't talk about preventing that, but it's a sad reality since that demographic has been extremely supportive of indie games in the past 2 years.

I also respect how hard it must be to run a kickstarter where no matter how many people review your work in progress something gets missed. I actually watch a series called crowd surfing on the dice tower where they have two different segments behind the ideas and strategizes behind running kickstarters and common pitfalls people run into. While it is primarily focused on board games I think a lot of the ideas are fairly universal. Jamey Stagmeir who's run several successful campaigns also has good videos on his channel and is also featured in crowd surfing so give him a look either way for hopefully future kickstarters after this one is successful and the game launches in 2020.

All I can say is that we tried to make a Switch version happen for day one of the Kickstarter. It just didn't work out for us. We can add it as a stretch goal, but the truth is people are going to cry foul when they see how much additional money we need to raise to make it happen. BUT... it would be a realistic, responsible budget. Again, a lot of video game Kickstarters have promised to deliver a lot on budgets that I'm not sure how they made work. These things cost a lot of money to make. I personally have tens of thousands of dollars already spent on making this game. Throw in sweat equity and we are well into six figures.

I have what may be a stupid question. I never backed anything on Kickstarter, would it be possible to change the desired platform if a Switch version comes up at a later point?

Not a dumb question at all! You can absolutely change your pledge and/or desired backing tier after you've backed. If we end up adding additional platforms we will make sure it is extremely easy for all of our backers to get the game on their desired platform.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
It looks good. Very clean and the trailer is right to the point with no bullshit. I was nodding along to all the Strider and Castlevania references (that slide animation seems inspired by Richter's, no?) and the scene where you see this game's version of save points made me smile.

I admit that my eyes are on this game primarily for Garoad. Love that dude's music on Valhalla and I listen to his stuff on the regular on YouTube.

Wishing this project the best!

Oct 25, 2017
UI aside, this really looks really good. Indeed my first thought was "is this a NeoGeo Igavania?".

Also, air dashes confirmed. 2D games with air dashes are the best.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Plej'd.

I wish the trailer song was available on soundcloud or whatever. I keep watching the trailer just to hear that awesome tune.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that's one hell of a pitch video. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, it looks amazing.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Plej'd.

I wish the trailer song was available on soundcloud or whatever. I keep watching the trailer just to hear that awesome tune.

Make sure you keep an eye on our Kickstarter. We'll be announcing something that may interest you midway-ish through the campaign ;)

So for the ps4 is it us region only?

PS4 is region free, so the physical copy will work on any PS4 machine. As far as digital goes, we of course want to bring it to every region. I don't think that should be too much of an issue to get done.

Well, that's one hell of a pitch video. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, it looks amazing.

Thanks! :)

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
It looks good. Very clean and the trailer is right to the point with no bullshit. I was nodding along to all the Strider and Castlevania references (that slide animation seems inspired by Richter's, no?) and the scene where you see this game's version of save points made me smile.

I admit that my eyes are on this game primarily for Garoad. Love that dude's music on Valhalla and I listen to his stuff on the regular on YouTube.

Wishing this project the best!

amazing.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
You know what I'm not seeing...stretch goals. Its not that I'm against stretch goals or anything like that, but it seems they've pretty much got the game's design and scope locked down from beginning to end. Thats before even going public with the Kickstarter. There's something quite refreshing about that.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You know what I'm not seeing...stretch goals. Its not that I'm against stretch goals or anything like that, but it seems they've pretty much got the game's design and scope locked down from beginning to end. Thats before even going public with the Kickstarter. There's something quite refreshing about that.
page 1 :)

Thanks! I'd say the game is roughly 25-30% done. We are aiming for a solid 6-12 hours of gameplay depending on how much exploration you decide to do and also your skill level. We are not currently planning to include difficulty levels, but we do have some plans to make the game more replayable via stretch goals should the Kickstarter get funded.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like it's doing OK. I think it'll make it. I mean, for a little indie game without Iga or Yu Suzuki behind it, after fans of 2D games have been burned by other KS games, I think it's doing alright.

Last edited:

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

The game's design and scope is very much locked down. There's ONE thing we'd like to do/add to the game (as far as gameplay goes), but it's definitely going to require a bit of additional money. There's some other stuff we'd like to add, but it doesn't really fall under "game design."

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just saw this thread and was going to Kickstart but only PS4 and STeam. No Xbox One version. That's a shame. Hope it makes it though.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Well, that's disappointing but ok ! I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Awesome! :)

Come on resetera, let's make this KS a success. It looks amazing.

Yes! Let's make this a success! LOL

Just saw this thread and was going to Kickstart but only PS4 and STeam. No Xbox One version. That's a shame. Hope it makes it though.

Sorry to disappoint... if the game is funded we will definitely bring it to the Xbox platform at some point. I'm actually a really big fan of the moves they've been making lately and the ID@XBOX team is super awesome to work with. We just can't bring it everywhere at once unless we raise enough money to cover the costs of all the ports. Simple math dictates that we need to target the larger install bases first. We will add XBOX One as a platform should backing of the KS take off ;)

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Remember me of Strider, but like an amatorial one for some reason I don't get. (not in a bad way!!!)
I like the artstyle and graphic enough.
Would like to try it!

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sorry to disappoint... if the game is funded we will definitely bring it to the Xbox platform at some point. I'm actually a really big fan of the moves they've been making lately and the ID@XBOX team is super awesome to work with. We just can't bring it everywhere at once unless we raise enough money to cover the costs of all the ports. Simple math dictates that we need to target the larger install bases first. We will add XBOX One as a platform should backing of the KS take off ;)

I'm willing to Kickstart now but, man, don't break my heart. This will be the first game I will Kickstart that doesn't have the platform of my choice but only because I'm willing to trust the word of the developer. Don't let me down :D

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm willing to Kickstart now but, man, don't break my heart. This will be the first game I will Kickstart that doesn't have the platform of my choice but only because I'm willing to trust the word of the developer. Don't let me down :D

Woah, hold on a second there... I wasn't saying you should back now. Just telling you that if we raise enough we will add Xbox One as a day one release platform. However, the reality there is that Switch is going to come first, so we'd have to raise enough to cover Switch port and then raise additional money to cover Xbox One port. I just want to be very clear and not disappoint or mislead anyone. I apologize if my previous comment came off or was easily interpreted another way!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Upgraded to the physical tier. Continuing to channel them good vibes... this looks really good!