• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
I first heard about this on the SBF podcast. I was skeptical because I'm not usually into action platformers, but within seconds of seeing this in motion I was sold.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I first heard about this on the SBF podcast. I was skeptical because I'm not usually into action platformers, but within seconds of seeing this in motion I was sold.

Yeah, that was awesome that they talked about the game on their podcast! And thanks for the support! :)

Okay, so, I need to know something... Will backers get their copies of the game (physical or otherwise) BEFORE the general public can buy it?

This hasn't happened with any of the games I've backed on KS and has me hesitant to back anymore.

So... I'm very aware of this type of thing happening... both with physical copies and digital keys. The last thing I want is for the backers, who made the game possible, to have to wait several days or more after the game's release to be able to play it. Backers are our #1 priority. I'm not privy to the details of situations where this has happened, but we will do everything that we can to avoid it. We'll be having discussions with physical copy partner AND platform holders well in advance to try and make sure everyone gets their copies (digital and physical) on time (day of release at the latest).

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Went back and forth on whether to do Path of the Ninja on Switch or PS4 but ultimately decided on Switch because it's more likely that the Switch will still be the 'current-gen' by that time while it'll be near PS5 time by then. I guess it doesn't really matter cause I sprung for the PC copy anyway, but it is what it is.

Good Luck on the rest of the kickstarter, I'd love to see more retro-inspired games that've moved past the nes and early Snes days and I was always a fan of Shinobi back in the day, even if I never beat it.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, that was awesome that they talked about the game on their podcast! And thanks for the support! :)

So... I'm very aware of this type of thing happening... both with physical copies and digital keys. The last thing I want is for the backers, who made the game possible, to have to wait several days or more after the game's release to be able to play it. Backers are our #1 priority. I'm not privy to the details of situations where this has happened, but we will do everything that we can to avoid it. We'll be having discussions with physical copy partner AND platform holders well in advance to try and make sure everyone gets their copies (digital and physical) on time (day of release at the latest).
Right on. Thanks for the reply! I know it's a nitpick, but it's been frustrating having to wait as someone whose contributions helped make the games possible. :(

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

As someone on the receiving end of this for several titles, there are different lead-times per region for the various platform holders when requesting keys. I don't know how to solve this issue, I just know that some people manage to actually have their codes available in-time and others have wait times of several weeks(!) varying by region. I wager this is something you have to communicate directly to your target platform holders long in advance and also put a pin on when planning release timing. Going "oh and we need several hundred keys for our crowdfund backers" during lotcheck/cert is probably not gonna work out. Discussing this with the platform holder's third party relations contact and maybe reaching out to other devs who went through KS and had it either work or not work out might help with this. For example, Team Cherry had their Hollow Knight Switch keys for all regions ready and sent on release day. Playtonic even had backer codes for Yooka Laylee (Switch) several days early which let people pre-load the game. GUTS Department (Aegis Defenders) received Switch keys in waves for about a two week period until everyone had theirs. Most recently, Midgar Studio (Hover) had their backer keys arrive over the course of halfway between 2-3 weeks for both PS4 and Switch and separated by region on both platforms with EU taking the longest. It mighit be worth your time reaching out to both parties (and whomever else you might know with experience) to see what the logistical issue was or what kind of prep was necessary to make it seamless (or even have preloads for backers!).

All in all, it is possible to have console keys for all platforms available globally for every backer before launch. It's just a question of how.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Right on. Thanks for the reply! I know it's a nitpick, but it's been frustrating having to wait as someone whose contributions helped make the games possible. :(

As someone on the receiving end of this for several titles, there are different lead-times per region for the various platform holders when requesting keys. I don't know how to solve this issue, I just know that some people manage to actually have their codes available in-time and others have wait times of several weeks(!) varying by region. I wager this is something you have to communicate directly to your target platform holders long in advance and also put a pin on when planning release timing. Going "oh and we need several hundred keys for our crowdfund backers" during lotcheck/cert is probably not gonna work out. Discussing this with the platform holder's third party relations contact and maybe reaching out to other devs who went through KS and had it either work or not work out might help with this. For example, Team Cherry had their Hollow Knight Switch keys for all regions ready and sent on release day. Playtonic even had backer codes for Yooka Laylee (Switch) several days early which let people pre-load the game. GUTS Department (Aegis Defenders) received Switch keys in waves for about a two week period until everyone had theirs. Most recently, Midgar Studio (Hover) had their backer keys arrive over the course of halfway between 2-3 weeks for both PS4 and Switch and separated by region on both platforms with EU taking the longest. It mighit be worth your time reaching out to both parties (and whomever else you might know with experience) to see what the logistical issue was or what kind of prep was necessary to make it seamless (or even have preloads for backers!).

All in all, it is possible to have console keys for all platforms available globally for every backer before launch. It's just a question of how.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of planning... like I said, we'll be coordinating with everyone well ahead of release to avoid this issue.

On another note, stretch goals have been released!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the latest update and, uhh, sampled the soundtrack sampler. :) Awesome stuff! Heart of Steel, Stage Select, Wicked City Act I, and Desecrated Forest all speak to me. Almost sound like they could be from a Cave shmup, which definitely works in their favor IMO. Good arrangements and some nice basslines.

I know there's an existing cynicism about crowdfunding games (and I've been burnt completely by one), but this one looks really special, and I appreciate the interactions here by mikehaggar and the frequent updates during the campaign.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Just got the latest update and, uhh, sampled the soundtrack sampler. :) Awesome stuff! Heart of Steel, Stage Select, Wicked City Act I, and Desecrated Forest all speak to me. Almost sound like they could be from a Cave shmup, which definitely works in their favor IMO. Good arrangements and some nice basslines.

I know there's an existing cynicism about crowdfunding games (and I've been burnt completely by one), but this one looks really special, and I appreciate the interactions here by mikehaggar and the frequent updates during the campaign.

You beat me to it! LOL! But actually works better as then I'm not double posting! Anyway, yeah, new update:

I know someone was saying they wished they could have the Kickstarter video music track to listen to.... it's included in the Soundtrack Sampler! Enjoy everyone! And if you're on the fence, please consider backing! We are close and, I know I'm biased, but Bushiden is pretty awesome! :)

Garoad

Video Game Composer
Verified
Oct 7, 2018

Amazing soundtrack, very 90's (ish)

Thanks a bunch!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
$51,312
pledged of $70,000 goal
backers
7days to go
Cmon folks keep goin! This thing is amazing looking, with a great soundtrack and killer gameplay and its so close. One last push to get this gem made.
I'm really excited for something that bleeds style like Strider met Shatterhand and Ninja Gaiden and had a baby, that has metroidvania stages that I can choose in any order. Instead of Brinstar and backtrack to Norfair or whatever I can just go straight to the stage of choice, explore, discover, upgrade and then jump to the next area of choosing. Its like a Metroidvania but with what sounds like a decent way to cutdown on backtrack. Sounds better than fast travel in castlevania given you had to run to special rooms and find other special rooms to even try that.

Just so pumped here. Hoping to see this succeed.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The shifting of blue/orange and upside down bits reminded me of Outland and VVVVVV. Looks rad but I agree with the other person saying the player movement seems a bit slow, maybe because it's a cartwheel or the camera is moving faster to the right of the screen than the character?

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Cmon folks keep goin! This thing is amazing looking, with a great soundtrack and killer gameplay and its so close. One last push to get this gem made.
I'm really excited for something that bleeds style like Strider met Shatterhand and Ninja Gaiden and had a baby, that has metroidvania stages that I can choose in any order. Instead of Brinstar and backtrack to Norfair or whatever I can just go straight to the stage of choice, explore, discover, upgrade and then jump to the next area of choosing. Its like a Metroidvania but with what sounds like a decent way to cutdown on backtrack. Sounds better than fast travel in castlevania given you had to run to special rooms and find other special rooms to even try that.

We love the enthusiasm! :)

The shifting of blue/orange and upside down bits reminded me of Outland and VVVVVV. Looks rad but I agree with the other person saying the player movement seems a bit slow, maybe because it's a cartwheel or the camera is moving faster to the right of the screen than the character?

The camera moves exactly the same speed as the player on the horizontal axis... no lag and no lead... Not sure why the game appears slow... It plays very quick, responsive, and tight! And the player moves faster than similar games of this nature from the 90's... it certainly doesn't move like the twitchier-style games that are being developed by some indie devs these days though!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
6280f6f108887705c719dbe823aac5ba_original.gif
ce1584e07a697fa1306844b3c65c6533_original.gif
0724acd74a1ace5fcf59fa8c62fbee67_original.gif
4b5d414b26fadc64298db816a1929f47_original.gif

Looks fine to me. Compare this movement speed to Castlevania SotN or even a newer title like Axiom Verge.
8wm5953.gif
pDhUUlT.gif

It looks like Bushiden is about average speed or faster. Not really slow for a game like this.

Oct 27, 2017

Not the biggest Metroidvania fan here but this looks and sounds cool and with some of the dev team being members here.....backed for Switch.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping folks push this on their social media this week. Its so close and its hitting all the high spots a game like this needs to. Promote and share folks. Even if you can't back yourself at the moment try to put it out there. If nothing else it'll give your feed some gorgeous eye candy with all that sprite animated goodness!

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't want to back games ever again because I got burned by a few kickstarter gaming projects, but this game looks like a beautiful mix of many games I love and I need it to happen so I just pledged for the switch version.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6280f6f108887705c719dbe823aac5ba_original.gif
ce1584e07a697fa1306844b3c65c6533_original.gif
0724acd74a1ace5fcf59fa8c62fbee67_original.gif
4b5d414b26fadc64298db816a1929f47_original.gif

Looks fine to me. Compare this movement speed to Castlevania SotN or even a newer title like Axiom Verge.
8wm5953.gif
pDhUUlT.gif

It looks like Bushiden is about average speed or faster. Not really slow for a game like this.
I think the "ghosting" effect behind Alucard really helps. In the Bushiden clips that have it I think the movement looks totally fine.

Might be something that should be always enabled, rather than only in certain levels.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked this hasn't met it's goal already with how quality it looks

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yea, KS boom is long over. If you don't stand out or hit something zeitgeist or have a big name (even then! -see Swery) or just randomly get a huge media push, there's no miracle KS money rain anymore.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In any case, I really hope this gets a "final days push" and hits the goal. I'd love to play this on my new d-pad modded Switch.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Not enough publicity , this is my first time seeing this and I feel like I'm a pretty active gamer

Yea, KS boom is long over. If you don't stand out or hit something zeitgeist or have a big name (even then! -see Swery) or just randomly get a huge media push, there's no miracle KS money rain anymore.

Yeah, we've done really well on social media and driving backers from there, but we just haven't been fortunate enough to get picked up by the big news sites. Of course we sent out press release and emails etc... I think for them, at this point, there has to be some kind of story behind the Kickstarter aside from the game itself... like you raised a bunch of money super fast or there's an interesting backstory to the team or the game etc... We were fortunate enough to be Kickstarter's Featured Project of the Day and we were also the Featured Project for the Games category, so that helped a lot!

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, we've done really well on social media and driving backers from there, but we just haven't been fortunate enough to get picked up by the big news sites. Of course we sent out press release and emails etc... I think for them, at this point, there has to be some kind of story behind the Kickstarter aside from the game itself... like you raised a bunch of money super fast or there's an interesting backstory to the team or the game etc... We were fortunate enough to be Kickstarter's Featured Project of the Day and we were also the Featured Project for the Games category, so that helped a lot!
Don't get me wrong looks amazing, but this needs to be on the front page of a big site

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe this will fail when worse game have been tripple-funded.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Slow?

I think you are confusing this game with a twitch-platformer or something.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Its nice to see kickstarters/indies bracing the 16/32 bit pixel era, Im truly tired of the 8 bit retro trend weve seen for so long now.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
It is good to see that this is getting closer to be being funded. I might chime on the last day if the goal is not reached yet. This is the perfect game for me. The reason why I haven't pitched in yet is because I have only played so far 2 of the many (10 plus) kickstarter games.

Last edited:

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Just stumbled across this thread. Watched 30 seconds of that kickstarter video and instantly backed it for a physical Switch version. Good luck on hitting that goal!